Skip to content

Experts

Political Discussion
88 14 2.0k 1
  • This is mostly for you Woody but often you've gotten upset because you think that we think you consider Al Gore an expert. I don't think you consider him an expert. Nor do you consider Joe Biden or Barack Obama or John Kerry or any other politician and expert. But I think many politicians glean their positions from people they consider to be experts. And it does seem that you are more willing to take scientists Etc to task if they don't agree with what you see as a big problem in the world. (And that really has nothing to do with my opinion which is there's not much we can do and we wouldn't do it if there was.)

    WSS

  • Steve, you couldn't even post the full definition of a cult when all it took was you copy pasting the full Webster entry (more than likely on purpose to try and protect your posting buddies)

    Are we supposed to now "debate" what an expert is? Sounds like a giant waste of time. 

    I'm not taking these "experts" to task because they disagree with me, I do it because they aren't experts. Or at the very least their expertise is being greatly inflated by a bunch of folks that have zero scientific knowledge in their body / have been completely politically brainwashed. 

    The "Frontline Doctors" is an obvious example. They were full of fraud from the start. Easy to see. But we had posters on here so blinded by their political leanings they were ready to put some random strip mall urgent care demon believing doctor above trained contagious disease experts. 

    Classic example is cal continuing to post the petition of "experts" that disagree with global warming. The petition that's like 15 years old. The petition I could sign. It's a joke. 

    This isn't some grand conspiracy to silence dissenting voices. It's an effort to rank those voices appropriately and to call out the relative size of the voices as well. 

    I had a good talk with Chris about this in DMs back in the day when the UK was doing the same anti expert anti academic nonsense. If your political party actively fights those that have educated themselves it should be a red flag. But instead they've weaved this tale of indoctrination or some other bullshit, to explain it away, and to keep their base uneducated and in line. 

    I'm rambling. Who is and isn't an expert is clear. Or at least it should be. Sadly, with this group, it isn't ...

  • Steve, you couldn't even post the full definition of a cult when all it took was you copy pasting the full Webster entry (more than likely on purpose to try and protect your posting buddies)

    Are we supposed to now "debate" what an expert is? Sounds like a giant waste of time. 

    I'm not taking these "experts" to task because they disagree with me, I do it because they aren't experts. Or at the very least their expertise is being greatly inflated by a bunch of folks that have zero scientific knowledge in their body / have been completely politically brainwashed. 

    The "Frontline Doctors" is an obvious example. They were full of fraud from the start. Easy to see. But we had posters on here so blinded by their political leanings they were ready to put some random strip mall urgent care demon believing doctor above trained contagious disease experts. 

    Classic example is cal continuing to post the petition of "experts" that disagree with global warming. The petition that's like 15 years old. The petition I could sign. It's a joke. 

    This isn't some grand conspiracy to silence dissenting voices. It's an effort to rank those voices appropriately and to call out the relative size of the voices as well. 

    I had a good talk with Chris about this in DMs back in the day when the UK was doing the same anti expert anti academic nonsense. If your political party actively fights those that have educated themselves it should be a red flag. But instead they've weaved this tale of indoctrination or some other bullshit, to explain it away, and to keep their base uneducated and in line. 

    I'm rambling. Who is and isn't an expert is clear. Or at least it should be. Sadly, with this group, it isn't ...

    @mld-woody said:

    Or at the very least their expertise is being greatly inflated by a bunch of folks that have zero scientific knowledge in their body / have been completely politically brainwashed. 

    48t0je.jpg.ee8f59183f0e4f54c0e039432a17fb46.jpg

  • Steve, you couldn't even post the full definition of a cult when all it took was you copy pasting the full Webster entry (more than likely on purpose to try and protect your posting buddies)

    Are we supposed to now "debate" what an expert is? Sounds like a giant waste of time. 

    I'm not taking these "experts" to task because they disagree with me, I do it because they aren't experts. Or at the very least their expertise is being greatly inflated by a bunch of folks that have zero scientific knowledge in their body / have been completely politically brainwashed. 

    The "Frontline Doctors" is an obvious example. They were full of fraud from the start. Easy to see. But we had posters on here so blinded by their political leanings they were ready to put some random strip mall urgent care demon believing doctor above trained contagious disease experts. 

    Classic example is cal continuing to post the petition of "experts" that disagree with global warming. The petition that's like 15 years old. The petition I could sign. It's a joke. 

    This isn't some grand conspiracy to silence dissenting voices. It's an effort to rank those voices appropriately and to call out the relative size of the voices as well. 

    I had a good talk with Chris about this in DMs back in the day when the UK was doing the same anti expert anti academic nonsense. If your political party actively fights those that have educated themselves it should be a red flag. But instead they've weaved this tale of indoctrination or some other bullshit, to explain it away, and to keep their base uneducated and in line. 

    I'm rambling. Who is and isn't an expert is clear. Or at least it should be. Sadly, with this group, it isn't ...

    @mld-woody said:

    I'm rambling. Who is and isn't an expert is clear. Or at least it should be. Sadly, with this group, it isn't ...

    Hate to say it woody, but the COVID pandemic has done irreparable, self-inflicted harm to medical community's integrity and reputation. 

    • It's known as COVID, not Wuhan flu because calling it Wuhan flu would be racist against Chinese. Never mind that this was the naming convention for all previous viruses becoming pandemic.
    • Early in the pandemic, The Lancet, one of the world's most reputable medical journals published a letter signed by top virologists condemning the "conspiracy theory" that it did not have a natural origin. Oh wait, 4 years later, this is now the leading theory on the origin of COVID. 
    • "Don't wear masks," was recommended to the public by Trump's surgeon general in order to keep a scarce supply of PPE to the people who needed it most. This was followed by "masks reduce the risk," recommendation from Biden's surgeon general. No one in either of these specific situations did anything maliciously, but it led to lots of confusion, distrust, and ultimately people treating each other like second-class citizens based on mask preference (both ways). 
    • Not pandemic-related, but The American Association of Pediatrics, The American Medical Association, The Endocrine Society all advocate for gender reassignment surgery and hormone replacement therapy on minors as a treatment method for gender dysphoria. Personally, I can't for the life of me understand why this topic is an exception to the general rule that physicians aren't supposed to indulge patients' delusions.

    This forum talks about MAGA cult and librul cult all the time, but I'm probably the only one here who has any personal experience with the cult that is academia. I can say that the politics of the ivory tower are as toxic as American politics in an election year, but all year every year. If you have a wrong opinion, good luck getting published in a high impact journal. I like your posts woody, but a lot of times you rely on the logical fallacy of appealing to authority. These authorities have demonstrably gotten things wrong often. Especially with the hyperpolarization of every facet of life in the last decade. 

  • @mld-woody said:

    I'm rambling. Who is and isn't an expert is clear. Or at least it should be. Sadly, with this group, it isn't ...

    Hate to say it woody, but the COVID pandemic has done irreparable, self-inflicted harm to medical community's integrity and reputation. 

    • It's known as COVID, not Wuhan flu because calling it Wuhan flu would be racist against Chinese. Never mind that this was the naming convention for all previous viruses becoming pandemic.
    • Early in the pandemic, The Lancet, one of the world's most reputable medical journals published a letter signed by top virologists condemning the "conspiracy theory" that it did not have a natural origin. Oh wait, 4 years later, this is now the leading theory on the origin of COVID. 
    • "Don't wear masks," was recommended to the public by Trump's surgeon general in order to keep a scarce supply of PPE to the people who needed it most. This was followed by "masks reduce the risk," recommendation from Biden's surgeon general. No one in either of these specific situations did anything maliciously, but it led to lots of confusion, distrust, and ultimately people treating each other like second-class citizens based on mask preference (both ways). 
    • Not pandemic-related, but The American Association of Pediatrics, The American Medical Association, The Endocrine Society all advocate for gender reassignment surgery and hormone replacement therapy on minors as a treatment method for gender dysphoria. Personally, I can't for the life of me understand why this topic is an exception to the general rule that physicians aren't supposed to indulge patients' delusions.

    This forum talks about MAGA cult and librul cult all the time, but I'm probably the only one here who has any personal experience with the cult that is academia. I can say that the politics of the ivory tower are as toxic as American politics in an election year, but all year every year. If you have a wrong opinion, good luck getting published in a high impact journal. I like your posts woody, but a lot of times you rely on the logical fallacy of appealing to authority. These authorities have demonstrably gotten things wrong often. Especially with the hyperpolarization of every facet of life in the last decade. 

    @vaportrail said:

    I like your posts woody, but a lot of times you rely on the logical fallacy of appealing to authority. These authorities have demonstrably gotten things wrong often. Especially with the hyperpolarization of every facet of life in the last decade. 

    I enjoy reading your posts Vapor, I don’t always agree with them but you lay out your reasoning in a logical manner.

    Regarding Woody, I think he’s probably the youngest regular poster on the political board and I think his gullibility is due to his youth.

    He swallows a lot of the bullshit the media throws his way, I hope after he gets along in years he’s going to see through it.

  • Steve, you couldn't even post the full definition of a cult when all it took was you copy pasting the full Webster entry (more than likely on purpose to try and protect your posting buddies)

    Are we supposed to now "debate" what an expert is? Sounds like a giant waste of time. 

    I'm not taking these "experts" to task because they disagree with me, I do it because they aren't experts. Or at the very least their expertise is being greatly inflated by a bunch of folks that have zero scientific knowledge in their body / have been completely politically brainwashed. 

    The "Frontline Doctors" is an obvious example. They were full of fraud from the start. Easy to see. But we had posters on here so blinded by their political leanings they were ready to put some random strip mall urgent care demon believing doctor above trained contagious disease experts. 

    Classic example is cal continuing to post the petition of "experts" that disagree with global warming. The petition that's like 15 years old. The petition I could sign. It's a joke. 

    This isn't some grand conspiracy to silence dissenting voices. It's an effort to rank those voices appropriately and to call out the relative size of the voices as well. 

    I had a good talk with Chris about this in DMs back in the day when the UK was doing the same anti expert anti academic nonsense. If your political party actively fights those that have educated themselves it should be a red flag. But instead they've weaved this tale of indoctrination or some other bullshit, to explain it away, and to keep their base uneducated and in line. 

    I'm rambling. Who is and isn't an expert is clear. Or at least it should be. Sadly, with this group, it isn't ...

    @mld-woody said:

    I'm rambling. Who is and isn't an expert is clear. Or at least it should be. Sadly, with this group, it isn't ...

    Allow me to condense all that bullshit you just spewed..

    Those you agree with are experts.

    Those of which you that don't, are not.....

  • AxeA Axe

    @mld-woody said:

    I'm rambling. Who is and isn't an expert is clear. Or at least it should be. Sadly, with this group, it isn't ...

    Allow me to condense all that bullshit you just spewed..

    Those you agree with are experts.

    Those of which you that don't, are not.....

    @axe said:

    Allow me to condense all that bullshit you just spewed..

    Those you agree with are experts.

    Those of which you that don't, are not.....

    Aaaaaand you didn't follow what I said 

  • @vaportrail said:

    I like your posts woody, but a lot of times you rely on the logical fallacy of appealing to authority. These authorities have demonstrably gotten things wrong often. Especially with the hyperpolarization of every facet of life in the last decade. 

    I enjoy reading your posts Vapor, I don’t always agree with them but you lay out your reasoning in a logical manner.

    Regarding Woody, I think he’s probably the youngest regular poster on the political board and I think his gullibility is due to his youth.

    He swallows a lot of the bullshit the media throws his way, I hope after he gets along in years he’s going to see through it.

    @canton-dawg said:

    I enjoy reading your posts Vapor, I don’t always agree with them but you lay out your reasoning in a logical manner.

    Regarding Woody, I think he’s probably the youngest regular poster on the political board and I think his gullibility is due to his youth.

    He swallows a lot of the bullshit the media throws his way, I hope after he gets along in years he’s going to see through it.

    How old do you think I am?

    What media do you think I consume?

  • @mld-woody said:

    I'm rambling. Who is and isn't an expert is clear. Or at least it should be. Sadly, with this group, it isn't ...

    Hate to say it woody, but the COVID pandemic has done irreparable, self-inflicted harm to medical community's integrity and reputation. 

    • It's known as COVID, not Wuhan flu because calling it Wuhan flu would be racist against Chinese. Never mind that this was the naming convention for all previous viruses becoming pandemic.
    • Early in the pandemic, The Lancet, one of the world's most reputable medical journals published a letter signed by top virologists condemning the "conspiracy theory" that it did not have a natural origin. Oh wait, 4 years later, this is now the leading theory on the origin of COVID. 
    • "Don't wear masks," was recommended to the public by Trump's surgeon general in order to keep a scarce supply of PPE to the people who needed it most. This was followed by "masks reduce the risk," recommendation from Biden's surgeon general. No one in either of these specific situations did anything maliciously, but it led to lots of confusion, distrust, and ultimately people treating each other like second-class citizens based on mask preference (both ways). 
    • Not pandemic-related, but The American Association of Pediatrics, The American Medical Association, The Endocrine Society all advocate for gender reassignment surgery and hormone replacement therapy on minors as a treatment method for gender dysphoria. Personally, I can't for the life of me understand why this topic is an exception to the general rule that physicians aren't supposed to indulge patients' delusions.

    This forum talks about MAGA cult and librul cult all the time, but I'm probably the only one here who has any personal experience with the cult that is academia. I can say that the politics of the ivory tower are as toxic as American politics in an election year, but all year every year. If you have a wrong opinion, good luck getting published in a high impact journal. I like your posts woody, but a lot of times you rely on the logical fallacy of appealing to authority. These authorities have demonstrably gotten things wrong often. Especially with the hyperpolarization of every facet of life in the last decade. 

    @vaportrail said:

    Hate to say it woody, but the COVID pandemic has done irreparable, self-inflicted harm to medical community's integrity and reputation. 

    • It's known as COVID, not Wuhan flu because calling it Wuhan flu would be racist against Chinese. Never mind that this was the naming convention for all previous viruses becoming pandemic.
    • Early in the pandemic, The Lancet, one of the world's most reputable medical journals published a letter signed by top virologists condemning the "conspiracy theory" that it did not have a natural origin. Oh wait, 4 years later, this is now the leading theory on the origin of COVID. 
    • "Don't wear masks," was recommended to the public by Trump's surgeon general in order to keep a scarce supply of PPE to the people who needed it most. This was followed by "masks reduce the risk," recommendation from Biden's surgeon general. No one in either of these specific situations did anything maliciously, but it led to lots of confusion, distrust, and ultimately people treating each other like second-class citizens based on mask preference (both ways). 
    • Not pandemic-related, but The American Association of Pediatrics, The American Medical Association, The Endocrine Society all advocate for gender reassignment surgery and hormone replacement therapy on minors as a treatment method for gender dysphoria. Personally, I can't for the life of me understand why this topic is an exception to the general rule that physicians aren't supposed to indulge patients' delusions.

    This forum talks about MAGA cult and librul cult all the time, but I'm probably the only one here who has any personal experience with the cult that is academia. I can say that the politics of the ivory tower are as toxic as American politics in an election year, but all year every year. If you have a wrong opinion, good luck getting published in a high impact journal. I like your posts woody, but a lot of times you rely on the logical fallacy of appealing to authority. These authorities have demonstrably gotten things wrong often. Especially with the hyperpolarization of every facet of life in the last decade. 

    I owe this a response tomorrow. 

  • @vaportrail said:

    Hate to say it woody, but the COVID pandemic has done irreparable, self-inflicted harm to medical community's integrity and reputation. 

    • It's known as COVID, not Wuhan flu because calling it Wuhan flu would be racist against Chinese. Never mind that this was the naming convention for all previous viruses becoming pandemic.
    • Early in the pandemic, The Lancet, one of the world's most reputable medical journals published a letter signed by top virologists condemning the "conspiracy theory" that it did not have a natural origin. Oh wait, 4 years later, this is now the leading theory on the origin of COVID. 
    • "Don't wear masks," was recommended to the public by Trump's surgeon general in order to keep a scarce supply of PPE to the people who needed it most. This was followed by "masks reduce the risk," recommendation from Biden's surgeon general. No one in either of these specific situations did anything maliciously, but it led to lots of confusion, distrust, and ultimately people treating each other like second-class citizens based on mask preference (both ways). 
    • Not pandemic-related, but The American Association of Pediatrics, The American Medical Association, The Endocrine Society all advocate for gender reassignment surgery and hormone replacement therapy on minors as a treatment method for gender dysphoria. Personally, I can't for the life of me understand why this topic is an exception to the general rule that physicians aren't supposed to indulge patients' delusions.

    This forum talks about MAGA cult and librul cult all the time, but I'm probably the only one here who has any personal experience with the cult that is academia. I can say that the politics of the ivory tower are as toxic as American politics in an election year, but all year every year. If you have a wrong opinion, good luck getting published in a high impact journal. I like your posts woody, but a lot of times you rely on the logical fallacy of appealing to authority. These authorities have demonstrably gotten things wrong often. Especially with the hyperpolarization of every facet of life in the last decade. 

    I owe this a response tomorrow. 

    @mld-woody said:

    I owe this a response tomorrow. 

    I will say, you're also spot on about cal's experts lmao

  • Steve, you couldn't even post the full definition of a cult when all it took was you copy pasting the full Webster entry (more than likely on purpose to try and protect your posting buddies)

    Are we supposed to now "debate" what an expert is? Sounds like a giant waste of time. 

    I'm not taking these "experts" to task because they disagree with me, I do it because they aren't experts. Or at the very least their expertise is being greatly inflated by a bunch of folks that have zero scientific knowledge in their body / have been completely politically brainwashed. 

    The "Frontline Doctors" is an obvious example. They were full of fraud from the start. Easy to see. But we had posters on here so blinded by their political leanings they were ready to put some random strip mall urgent care demon believing doctor above trained contagious disease experts. 

    Classic example is cal continuing to post the petition of "experts" that disagree with global warming. The petition that's like 15 years old. The petition I could sign. It's a joke. 

    This isn't some grand conspiracy to silence dissenting voices. It's an effort to rank those voices appropriately and to call out the relative size of the voices as well. 

    I had a good talk with Chris about this in DMs back in the day when the UK was doing the same anti expert anti academic nonsense. If your political party actively fights those that have educated themselves it should be a red flag. But instead they've weaved this tale of indoctrination or some other bullshit, to explain it away, and to keep their base uneducated and in line. 

    I'm rambling. Who is and isn't an expert is clear. Or at least it should be. Sadly, with this group, it isn't ...

    @mld-woody said:

    I'm not taking these "experts" to task because they disagree with me, I do it because they aren't experts. Or at the very least their expertise is being greatly inflated by a bunch of folks that have zero scientific knowledge in their body / have been completely politically brainwashed. 

    ...

    Case in point...

    Were you a follower of this expert by any chance?

    She was popular ya know.

    Greta-Thunberg-GETTY.jpg

  • @mld-woody said:

    I'm not taking these "experts" to task because they disagree with me, I do it because they aren't experts. Or at the very least their expertise is being greatly inflated by a bunch of folks that have zero scientific knowledge in their body / have been completely politically brainwashed. 

    ...

    Case in point...

    Were you a follower of this expert by any chance?

    She was popular ya know.

    Greta-Thunberg-GETTY.jpg

    @fy56 said:

    Case in point...

    Were you a follower of this expert by any chance?

    She was popular ya know.

    Greta-Thunberg-GETTY.jpg

    Oh wow Gorka, great job. You got me...

    When have I ever called Greta an expert? Please let me know... 

  • @fy56 said:

    Case in point...

    Were you a follower of this expert by any chance?

    She was popular ya know.

    Greta-Thunberg-GETTY.jpg

    Oh wow Gorka, great job. You got me...

    When have I ever called Greta an expert? Please let me know... 

    @mld-woody said:

    Oh wow Gorka, great job. You got me...

    When have I ever called Greta an expert? Please let me know... 

    Ha "Gorka".

    When I know I pushed the wrong button.lol, so pipe down.

    Your comment perfectly described this expert.

    I never accused you of calling her an expert, nor do I believe you ever did. So please let me know.

    All I asked if you were a follower. 

  • @mld-woody said:

    Oh wow Gorka, great job. You got me...

    When have I ever called Greta an expert? Please let me know... 

    Ha "Gorka".

    When I know I pushed the wrong button.lol, so pipe down.

    Your comment perfectly described this expert.

    I never accused you of calling her an expert, nor do I believe you ever did. So please let me know.

    All I asked if you were a follower. 

    @fy56 said:

    Ha "Gorka".

    When I know I pushed the wrong button.lol, so pipe down.

    Your comment perfectly described this expert.

    I never accused you of calling her an expert, nor do I believe you ever did. So please let me know.

    All I asked if you were a follower. 

    Do I believe we need to be doing more to combat climate change? Yes. 

    Do I know everything Greta does? No. So I couldn't tell you if I all make sense. 

    Of course, this is a thread shoot experts. And you called her an expert. Your intentions were clear. No need to tap dance back 

  • @mld-woody said:

    I'm rambling. Who is and isn't an expert is clear. Or at least it should be. Sadly, with this group, it isn't ...

    Hate to say it woody, but the COVID pandemic has done irreparable, self-inflicted harm to medical community's integrity and reputation. 

    • It's known as COVID, not Wuhan flu because calling it Wuhan flu would be racist against Chinese. Never mind that this was the naming convention for all previous viruses becoming pandemic.
    • Early in the pandemic, The Lancet, one of the world's most reputable medical journals published a letter signed by top virologists condemning the "conspiracy theory" that it did not have a natural origin. Oh wait, 4 years later, this is now the leading theory on the origin of COVID. 
    • "Don't wear masks," was recommended to the public by Trump's surgeon general in order to keep a scarce supply of PPE to the people who needed it most. This was followed by "masks reduce the risk," recommendation from Biden's surgeon general. No one in either of these specific situations did anything maliciously, but it led to lots of confusion, distrust, and ultimately people treating each other like second-class citizens based on mask preference (both ways). 
    • Not pandemic-related, but The American Association of Pediatrics, The American Medical Association, The Endocrine Society all advocate for gender reassignment surgery and hormone replacement therapy on minors as a treatment method for gender dysphoria. Personally, I can't for the life of me understand why this topic is an exception to the general rule that physicians aren't supposed to indulge patients' delusions.

    This forum talks about MAGA cult and librul cult all the time, but I'm probably the only one here who has any personal experience with the cult that is academia. I can say that the politics of the ivory tower are as toxic as American politics in an election year, but all year every year. If you have a wrong opinion, good luck getting published in a high impact journal. I like your posts woody, but a lot of times you rely on the logical fallacy of appealing to authority. These authorities have demonstrably gotten things wrong often. Especially with the hyperpolarization of every facet of life in the last decade. 

    @vaportrail said:

    Hate to say it woody, but the COVID pandemic has done irreparable, self-inflicted harm to medical community's integrity and reputation. 

    • It's known as COVID, not Wuhan flu because calling it Wuhan flu would be racist against Chinese. Never mind that this was the naming convention for all previous viruses becoming pandemic.
    • Early in the pandemic, The Lancet, one of the world's most reputable medical journals published a letter signed by top virologists condemning the "conspiracy theory" that it did not have a natural origin. Oh wait, 4 years later, this is now the leading theory on the origin of COVID. 
    • "Don't wear masks," was recommended to the public by Trump's surgeon general in order to keep a scarce supply of PPE to the people who needed it most. This was followed by "masks reduce the risk," recommendation from Biden's surgeon general. No one in either of these specific situations did anything maliciously, but it led to lots of confusion, distrust, and ultimately people treating each other like second-class citizens based on mask preference (both ways). 
    • Not pandemic-related, but The American Association of Pediatrics, The American Medical Association, The Endocrine Society all advocate for gender reassignment surgery and hormone replacement therapy on minors as a treatment method for gender dysphoria. Personally, I can't for the life of me understand why this topic is an exception to the general rule that physicians aren't supposed to indulge patients' delusions.

    This forum talks about MAGA cult and librul cult all the time, but I'm probably the only one here who has any personal experience with the cult that is academia. I can say that the politics of the ivory tower are as toxic as American politics in an election year, but all year every year. If you have a wrong opinion, good luck getting published in a high impact journal. I like your posts woody, but a lot of times you rely on the logical fallacy of appealing to authority. These authorities have demonstrably gotten things wrong often. Especially with the hyperpolarization of every facet of life in the last decade. 

    What the public perceives and what is reality are two different things. Especially when it comes to scientific literacy. From young earth creationists to anti nuclear Greenpeace. It sucks, but the public's perception isn't what should determine scientific policy. Of course that's not how things work. So I have no doubt the pandemic harmed the perception of the medical field. A fast moving pandemic as everyone was trying to figure out what was going on with multiple people saying multiple things. Plenty of cracks for self proclaimed experts to take root. No one ever looking back after a false claim was disproven. Etc. And we were forced to stay inside adding to the chronically online population and amplifying this issue. 

    - Just because we used to make something someway doesn't mean we need to continue to (too many examples to count, but you could throw a rock down south and hit something racially named, Niggerhead in Texas was something tied to Perry, right?). Nothing really for me to get up in arms about on this first point. 

    - Folks could have come to the right answer through racist, conspiratorial means. But yeah, part of science is learning new things, adapting theories, etc. Just that it is generally growth on what exists, not complete 180s, which is what many on here want to claim. Rushing to blame China for a global pandemic with limited evidence probably wasn't going to do us much good in 2020. 

    - The politicization of masks did more to people treating each other differently than any single recommendations. You can tie those recommendations to an administration if you want, but folks still wore masks during Trump and vice versa. Both sides drive up identity politics and wedge issues, don't get me wrong, but I firmly believe the right is playing this hand heavier. Masks are no exception. A communication not to wear masks early to save them for medical personnel until more became available and then saying to wear masks isn't a great look, I agree. But I also think people generally suck, and panicking people who are generally at lower risk and should be staying home in a way that limits medical PPE is a bad call. Yes, it's lying otherwise, but potentially for the greater good. Of course, we were learning new things about the disease constantly early on. So that probably plays a role too. 

    - I don't believe that would be considered the first solution in any instances, and instead a last resort, where I imagine the patients health is at risk. But I would prefer not to expand this to going down the trans rabbit hole that this group at large will take us down. No better example of the identity / wedge issues I mentioned above than conservatives running entire campaigns around "anti woke" and "anti trans" nonsense. Trump even calling it out himself at a rally last year was hilarious. "No one cares about this before, and now...". Great way to keep the lower/middle class distracted and voting in a way that keeps the upper class in power. 

    I don't think you're accurately describing my view points by claiming the logical fallacy of appealing to authority. Any time you reference expertise it isn't a logical fallacy. Especially when I'm, on climate change for example, referring to a consensus of experts or scientific bodies. The logical fallacy would be more what we're seeing on the other side, where one physics PhD, with no published research in climatology, is propped up as an expert and then it's claimed someone is right cuz the PhD agrees. You already alluded to this in another post, but the appeal to authority logical fallacy is seen much more by others (e.g., here's a list of randoms with a STEM degree). 

    And yes, hyperpolarization sucks. It really does. I don't want climatology to be political. I don't want virology to be political. Etc. I am still going to fall on the side of the consensus of experienced, educated experts on those topics though. 

  • “At the root of all this is an inability among laypeople to understand that experts being wrong on occasion about certain issues is not the same thing as experts being wrong consistently on everything. The fact of the matter is that experts are more often right than wrong, especially on essential matters of fact. And yet the public constantly searches for the loopholes in expert knowledge that will allow them to disregard all expert advice they don’t like. In”


    ― Thomas M. Nichols, The Death of Expertise: The Campaign against Established Knowledge and Why it Matters

  • @fy56 said:

    Ha "Gorka".

    When I know I pushed the wrong button.lol, so pipe down.

    Your comment perfectly described this expert.

    I never accused you of calling her an expert, nor do I believe you ever did. So please let me know.

    All I asked if you were a follower. 

    Do I believe we need to be doing more to combat climate change? Yes. 

    Do I know everything Greta does? No. So I couldn't tell you if I all make sense. 

    Of course, this is a thread shoot experts. And you called her an expert. Your intentions were clear. No need to tap dance back 

    @mld-woody said:

    Do I believe we need to be doing more to combat climate change? Yes. 

    Do I know everything Greta does? No. So I couldn't tell you if I all make sense. 

    Of course, this is a thread shoot experts. And you called her an expert. Your intentions were clear. No need to tap dance back 

    Oh shucks I forgot the "      " around the word.

    Well since your intuition tells you that my intentions were clear, I would also presume your intuition would have told that I didn't mean literally that she was an expert.

    Talking out of both sides of your mouth in two short consecutive sentences. Cool.

  • Odd, how does a mechanical engineer become an expert on arrogant man made global warming crap?

    really? lol

    Nice nonsense platitudes Woody.

  • @vaportrail said:

    Hate to say it woody, but the COVID pandemic has done irreparable, self-inflicted harm to medical community's integrity and reputation. 

    • It's known as COVID, not Wuhan flu because calling it Wuhan flu would be racist against Chinese. Never mind that this was the naming convention for all previous viruses becoming pandemic.
    • Early in the pandemic, The Lancet, one of the world's most reputable medical journals published a letter signed by top virologists condemning the "conspiracy theory" that it did not have a natural origin. Oh wait, 4 years later, this is now the leading theory on the origin of COVID. 
    • "Don't wear masks," was recommended to the public by Trump's surgeon general in order to keep a scarce supply of PPE to the people who needed it most. This was followed by "masks reduce the risk," recommendation from Biden's surgeon general. No one in either of these specific situations did anything maliciously, but it led to lots of confusion, distrust, and ultimately people treating each other like second-class citizens based on mask preference (both ways). 
    • Not pandemic-related, but The American Association of Pediatrics, The American Medical Association, The Endocrine Society all advocate for gender reassignment surgery and hormone replacement therapy on minors as a treatment method for gender dysphoria. Personally, I can't for the life of me understand why this topic is an exception to the general rule that physicians aren't supposed to indulge patients' delusions.

    This forum talks about MAGA cult and librul cult all the time, but I'm probably the only one here who has any personal experience with the cult that is academia. I can say that the politics of the ivory tower are as toxic as American politics in an election year, but all year every year. If you have a wrong opinion, good luck getting published in a high impact journal. I like your posts woody, but a lot of times you rely on the logical fallacy of appealing to authority. These authorities have demonstrably gotten things wrong often. Especially with the hyperpolarization of every facet of life in the last decade. 

    What the public perceives and what is reality are two different things. Especially when it comes to scientific literacy. From young earth creationists to anti nuclear Greenpeace. It sucks, but the public's perception isn't what should determine scientific policy. Of course that's not how things work. So I have no doubt the pandemic harmed the perception of the medical field. A fast moving pandemic as everyone was trying to figure out what was going on with multiple people saying multiple things. Plenty of cracks for self proclaimed experts to take root. No one ever looking back after a false claim was disproven. Etc. And we were forced to stay inside adding to the chronically online population and amplifying this issue. 

    - Just because we used to make something someway doesn't mean we need to continue to (too many examples to count, but you could throw a rock down south and hit something racially named, Niggerhead in Texas was something tied to Perry, right?). Nothing really for me to get up in arms about on this first point. 

    - Folks could have come to the right answer through racist, conspiratorial means. But yeah, part of science is learning new things, adapting theories, etc. Just that it is generally growth on what exists, not complete 180s, which is what many on here want to claim. Rushing to blame China for a global pandemic with limited evidence probably wasn't going to do us much good in 2020. 

    - The politicization of masks did more to people treating each other differently than any single recommendations. You can tie those recommendations to an administration if you want, but folks still wore masks during Trump and vice versa. Both sides drive up identity politics and wedge issues, don't get me wrong, but I firmly believe the right is playing this hand heavier. Masks are no exception. A communication not to wear masks early to save them for medical personnel until more became available and then saying to wear masks isn't a great look, I agree. But I also think people generally suck, and panicking people who are generally at lower risk and should be staying home in a way that limits medical PPE is a bad call. Yes, it's lying otherwise, but potentially for the greater good. Of course, we were learning new things about the disease constantly early on. So that probably plays a role too. 

    - I don't believe that would be considered the first solution in any instances, and instead a last resort, where I imagine the patients health is at risk. But I would prefer not to expand this to going down the trans rabbit hole that this group at large will take us down. No better example of the identity / wedge issues I mentioned above than conservatives running entire campaigns around "anti woke" and "anti trans" nonsense. Trump even calling it out himself at a rally last year was hilarious. "No one cares about this before, and now...". Great way to keep the lower/middle class distracted and voting in a way that keeps the upper class in power. 

    I don't think you're accurately describing my view points by claiming the logical fallacy of appealing to authority. Any time you reference expertise it isn't a logical fallacy. Especially when I'm, on climate change for example, referring to a consensus of experts or scientific bodies. The logical fallacy would be more what we're seeing on the other side, where one physics PhD, with no published research in climatology, is propped up as an expert and then it's claimed someone is right cuz the PhD agrees. You already alluded to this in another post, but the appeal to authority logical fallacy is seen much more by others (e.g., here's a list of randoms with a STEM degree). 

    And yes, hyperpolarization sucks. It really does. I don't want climatology to be political. I don't want virology to be political. Etc. I am still going to fall on the side of the consensus of experienced, educated experts on those topics though. 

    @mld-woody said:

    - I don't believe that would be considered the first solution in any instances, and instead a last resort, where I imagine the patients health is at risk. But I would prefer not to expand this to going down the trans rabbit hole that this group at large will take us down. No better example of the identity / wedge issues I mentioned above than conservatives running entire campaigns around "anti woke" and "anti trans" nonsense. Trump even calling it out himself at a rally last year was hilarious. "No one cares about this before, and now...". Great way to keep the lower/middle class distracted and voting in a way that keeps the upper class in power. 

    I disagree with Trump about that. He might have been right 5 years ago, but this harmful ideology has become pervasive. I personally know a bunch of biological women who got top surgeries. I know pediatricians in residency who are expected to go along with this and afraid to say anything that might shy patients away from it. I have a distant family member living in Seattle. He is a widow, and he started his 12 year old kid on puberty blockers. Like, I don't know, maybe the kid is having an identity crisis because mom died of cancer last year. Maybe you could have exhausted all other options instead of giving your kid puberty blockers before they're capable of understanding the effects. I'm absolutely livid about this one. It's one thing if you're a confused adult and make this decision for yourself, but to do that to a kid??? You and I agree that this should be a last case scenario. However, the experts say that hormone replacement is a better route to take before the child hits the one way street of puberty. Completely unethical, never mind the reimbursements for hormone therapy and gender surgeries. 

    Again, this scenario is what is being promoted by the academic societies I mentioned above. If you think the experts are wrong, and if you try to bring this up in residency, you sadly run the risk of retaliation. If you have views that are contrary to the prevailing theories, you are better off keeping your head down and your mouth shut until you graduate. In my anecdotal experience, the only people I've heard criticizing this topic at the state medical meetings have been mid-to-end of their careers. And if you're critical of what they're pushing, your views/research aren't likely to be featured in any of their journals.