Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. So how did FA set us up for the draft?

So how did FA set us up for the draft?

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
25 Posts 8 Posters 837 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • Orion OrionO Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
    • 9k Posts
    • 4k Reputation
    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Browns 2024 unrestricted free agents:
    - LB Matthew Adams

    - TE Harrison Bryant: Signed with Raiders, 1 year / $4M

    - P Corey Bojorquez: Re-signed with Browns, 2 years

    - OL Geron Christian  -  This guy was our starter at LT for a substantial part of last season

    - QB Jeff Driskel

    - OL Michael Dunn: Re-signed with Browns

    - DT Jordan Elliott: Signed with 49ers, 2 years / $10M

    - QB Joe Flacco: Signed with Colts, 1 year / Up to $8.7M

    - CB Mike Ford: Signed with Texans, 2 years / $4.5M

    - WR Marquise Goodwin

    - WR Jakeem Grant

    - S Duron Harmon

    - OL Nick Harris: Signed with Raiders, 1 year / $2.51M

    - DT Shelby Harris: Re-signed with Browns, 2 years / $9M

    - RB Kareem Hunt

    - DT Maurice Hurst: Re-signed with Browns, 1 year / $3.2 M

    - DL Sam Kamara (Exclusive Rights Free Agent)

    - LB Jordan Kunaszyk

    - S Rodney McLeod

    - OL Ty Nsekhe

    - LB Jacob Phillips

    - WR James Proche

    - DE Za’Darius Smith: Re-signed with Browns, 2 years / $23.5M

    - LB Sione Takitaki: Signed with Patriots, 2 years / $6.5M / Up to $10M

    - QB P.J. Walker

    - LB Anthony Walker Jr.: Signed with Dolphins, 1 year

    Browns 2024 Trades and Signings:
    - Acquired Jerry Jeudy from Broncos for fifth round pick (No. 135) and sixth round pick (No. 202) 

    - Signed free agent  LB Jordan Hicks, 2 years / $8M

    - Signed free agent QB Jameis Winston, 1 year / $8.7M

    - Signed free agent RB Nyheim Hines, 1 year / $3.5M

    - Signed free agent T Hakeem Adeniji, 1 year

    - Signed free agent DT Quinton Jefferson, 1 year

    - Signed free agent LB Devin Bush, 1 year

    - Signed free agent TE Giovanni Ricci, 1 year

    - Signed free agent CB Tony Brown, 1 year

    ---------------------

    So, it looks like we covered, with acquisitions, the positions that we lost.   And we added a WR in Jeudy, like we did last year with Elijah Moore.

    I think that we'll be able to go into the draft open to Best Player Available.  I don't think that the signing of Ricci to replace Harrison stops us from drafting a pass catching TE to help Njoku.  Nor do I think Jeudy stops us from drafting a WR.  In addition to TE & WR I'd be looking for Bitonio's eventual replacement at Guard, more speed in the secondary and OT.  I don't know if the signing of the RB Hines means that we don't draft a RB.  I'm unsure about that position.  We're hoping that Chubb will be ok.  But I'm not sure what they think of Ford and Pierre Strong.  

    Anyway, I think that FA has set us up such that we don't have a major need at any position and don't have to 'force' something.  Which is a good way to go into a draft...especially when ya don't have a 1st round pick.

    BEING A BROWNS FAN IS A TEST TO SEE HOW MUCH YOU CAN TAKE
    FlugelF 1 Reply Last reply
    👍
    Quote Reply
    • ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
      • 9k Posts
      • 2k Reputation
      ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen
      #2

      Pretty much agree.  I agree that a O lineman will be high on the list, and where we draft, one could very well be the BPA.

      RB is a question mark.  Hines is a situational guy.  If we don't draft a back, we will sign one or two as UDFA.  I am not sure about Chubb.  If we draft a guy fairlt high, it might mean Chubb isn't progressing very well.  If we don't, then maybe we feel he is nearing a full go.  If so, a RB room with Chubb, Ford, Strong and Hines.

      I also think that Berry likes the WR room.  I am not sure we will do much more in that area.  To bring guys in means we have to cut players already on the team.  I am not sure Berry wants to cut any....Bell might be the cut guy is we draft a WR.

      Back to the Oline..I wouldn't be surprised if we draft 2 Oline players.  O line is very deep this year.  It's questionable we keep Wills after this year.  Something on the O line i would like to see in camp is putting Jones at LT and Wills at RT.  Wills played RT his whole career before playing here.  He was a stud, so call me naive, but making a switch seems like an obvious try.

      If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
      Dutch OvenD 1 Reply Last reply
      👍
      Quote Reply
      • ballpeenB ballpeen

        Pretty much agree.  I agree that a O lineman will be high on the list, and where we draft, one could very well be the BPA.

        RB is a question mark.  Hines is a situational guy.  If we don't draft a back, we will sign one or two as UDFA.  I am not sure about Chubb.  If we draft a guy fairlt high, it might mean Chubb isn't progressing very well.  If we don't, then maybe we feel he is nearing a full go.  If so, a RB room with Chubb, Ford, Strong and Hines.

        I also think that Berry likes the WR room.  I am not sure we will do much more in that area.  To bring guys in means we have to cut players already on the team.  I am not sure Berry wants to cut any....Bell might be the cut guy is we draft a WR.

        Back to the Oline..I wouldn't be surprised if we draft 2 Oline players.  O line is very deep this year.  It's questionable we keep Wills after this year.  Something on the O line i would like to see in camp is putting Jones at LT and Wills at RT.  Wills played RT his whole career before playing here.  He was a stud, so call me naive, but making a switch seems like an obvious try.

        Dutch Oven Dutch OvenD Dedicated Conversation Starter Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
        • 15k Posts
        • 8k Reputation
        Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
        #3

        @ballpeen said:

        I also think that Berry likes the WR room.  I am not sure we will do much more in that area.  To bring guys in means we have to cut players already on the team.  I am not sure Berry wants to cut any....Bell might be the cut guy is we draft a WR.

        Your point makes sense, with Cooper, Jeudy, Moore and possibly Tillman entrenched in the first four spots.

        I haven't really seen anything in Bell that makes me think he's a guarantee to make the roster for a third time.

        But one thing to consider regarding if we draft a WR or not is that while the room seems pretty set, Cooper, Jeudy and Moore are all free agents after this season. The WR room looks crowded now, but at this time next year it could be somewhat barren. I'm kind of surprised the Browns haven't extended Cooper, at the same time lessening his salary cap number. 

        ballpeenB 1 Reply Last reply
        👍
        Quote Reply
        • Bob806 Bob806B Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
          • 5k Posts
          • 2k Reputation
          Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
          #4

          I think they'll go LB at pick 54. Just a hunch.

          Karlis Missed
          Dutch OvenD 1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • Bob806B Bob806

            I think they'll go LB at pick 54. Just a hunch.

            Dutch Oven Dutch OvenD Dedicated Conversation Starter Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
            • 15k Posts
            • 8k Reputation
            Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by Dutch Oven
            #5

            @bob806 said:

            I think they'll go LB at pick 54. Just a hunch.

            I like the idea, but this front office doesn't seem to like spending much money or draft capital on linebackers, with the exception of JOK in the second round.

            Anyone you like at #54, Bob?

            I'm all-in on Junior Colson, TCUN.

            Bob806B OrionO 2 Replies Last reply
            👍
            Quote Reply
            • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven

              @bob806 said:

              I think they'll go LB at pick 54. Just a hunch.

              I like the idea, but this front office doesn't seem to like spending much money or draft capital on linebackers, with the exception of JOK in the second round.

              Anyone you like at #54, Bob?

              I'm all-in on Junior Colson, TCUN.

              Bob806 Bob806B Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
              • 5k Posts
              • 2k Reputation
              Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
              #6

              @dutch-oven said:

              I like the idea, but this front office doesn't seem to like spending much money or draft capital on linebackers, with the exception of JOK in the second round.

              Anyone you like at #54, Bob?

              I'm all-in on Junior Colson, TCUN.

              I haven't been looking as close as that as many on here. 

              Karlis Missed
              1 Reply Last reply
              👍
              Quote Reply
              • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven

                @bob806 said:

                I think they'll go LB at pick 54. Just a hunch.

                I like the idea, but this front office doesn't seem to like spending much money or draft capital on linebackers, with the exception of JOK in the second round.

                Anyone you like at #54, Bob?

                I'm all-in on Junior Colson, TCUN.

                Orion OrionO Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                • 9k Posts
                • 4k Reputation
                OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
                #7

                @dutch-oven said:

                I'm all-in on Junior Colson, TCUN

                Walter Football has him at 110th on their Big Board.

                I'm going to guess that we pick  Ja’Tavion Sanders, TE, Texas  at 54.  A pass catcher to team with Njoku.  Of course our new TE's coach will have to teach him the blocking thing.

                BEING A BROWNS FAN IS A TEST TO SEE HOW MUCH YOU CAN TAKE
                1 Reply Last reply
                👍
                Quote Reply
                • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven

                  @ballpeen said:

                  I also think that Berry likes the WR room.  I am not sure we will do much more in that area.  To bring guys in means we have to cut players already on the team.  I am not sure Berry wants to cut any....Bell might be the cut guy is we draft a WR.

                  Your point makes sense, with Cooper, Jeudy, Moore and possibly Tillman entrenched in the first four spots.

                  I haven't really seen anything in Bell that makes me think he's a guarantee to make the roster for a third time.

                  But one thing to consider regarding if we draft a WR or not is that while the room seems pretty set, Cooper, Jeudy and Moore are all free agents after this season. The WR room looks crowded now, but at this time next year it could be somewhat barren. I'm kind of surprised the Browns haven't extended Cooper, at the same time lessening his salary cap number. 

                  ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                  • 9k Posts
                  • 2k Reputation
                  ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  @dutch-oven said:

                  Your point makes sense, with Cooper, Jeudy, Moore and possibly Tillman entrenched in the first four spots.

                  I haven't really seen anything in Bell that makes me think he's a guarantee to make the roster for a third time.

                  But one thing to consider regarding if we draft a WR or not is that while the room seems pretty set, Cooper, Jeudy and Moore are all free agents after this season. The WR room looks crowded now, but at this time next year it could be somewhat barren. I'm kind of surprised the Browns haven't extended Cooper, at the same time lessening his salary cap number. 

                  I understand the point.  We will probably draft someone, but nothing says we can't or won't extend any of the mentioned players.  Also, if those players move on, we will have that money to move on to the next batch of rental receivers.

                  Something tells me we will have some receivers on the team next year.  That comment isn't meant to be a dig at you, rather just a matter of fact.

                  If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
                  Dutch OvenD 1 Reply Last reply
                  😂
                  Quote Reply
                  • ballpeenB ballpeen

                    @dutch-oven said:

                    Your point makes sense, with Cooper, Jeudy, Moore and possibly Tillman entrenched in the first four spots.

                    I haven't really seen anything in Bell that makes me think he's a guarantee to make the roster for a third time.

                    But one thing to consider regarding if we draft a WR or not is that while the room seems pretty set, Cooper, Jeudy and Moore are all free agents after this season. The WR room looks crowded now, but at this time next year it could be somewhat barren. I'm kind of surprised the Browns haven't extended Cooper, at the same time lessening his salary cap number. 

                    I understand the point.  We will probably draft someone, but nothing says we can't or won't extend any of the mentioned players.  Also, if those players move on, we will have that money to move on to the next batch of rental receivers.

                    Something tells me we will have some receivers on the team next year.  That comment isn't meant to be a dig at you, rather just a matter of fact.

                    Dutch Oven Dutch OvenD Dedicated Conversation Starter Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                    • 15k Posts
                    • 8k Reputation
                    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    @ballpeen said:

                    I understand the point.  We will probably draft someone, but nothing says we can't or won't extend any of the mentioned players.  Also, if those players move on, we will have that money to move on to the next batch of rental receivers.

                    Something tells me we will have some receivers on the team next year.  That comment isn't meant to be a dig at you, rather just a matter of fact.

                    We now have five picks, after the Jeudy trade, so there's a pretty good chance they might not draft a WR now.

                    And of Cooper, Jeudy and Moore, I have a hard time believing that at least one won't be brought back, maybe two. 

                    1 Reply Last reply
                    👍
                    Quote Reply
                    • OrionO Orion

                      Browns 2024 unrestricted free agents:
                      - LB Matthew Adams

                      - TE Harrison Bryant: Signed with Raiders, 1 year / $4M

                      - P Corey Bojorquez: Re-signed with Browns, 2 years

                      - OL Geron Christian  -  This guy was our starter at LT for a substantial part of last season

                      - QB Jeff Driskel

                      - OL Michael Dunn: Re-signed with Browns

                      - DT Jordan Elliott: Signed with 49ers, 2 years / $10M

                      - QB Joe Flacco: Signed with Colts, 1 year / Up to $8.7M

                      - CB Mike Ford: Signed with Texans, 2 years / $4.5M

                      - WR Marquise Goodwin

                      - WR Jakeem Grant

                      - S Duron Harmon

                      - OL Nick Harris: Signed with Raiders, 1 year / $2.51M

                      - DT Shelby Harris: Re-signed with Browns, 2 years / $9M

                      - RB Kareem Hunt

                      - DT Maurice Hurst: Re-signed with Browns, 1 year / $3.2 M

                      - DL Sam Kamara (Exclusive Rights Free Agent)

                      - LB Jordan Kunaszyk

                      - S Rodney McLeod

                      - OL Ty Nsekhe

                      - LB Jacob Phillips

                      - WR James Proche

                      - DE Za’Darius Smith: Re-signed with Browns, 2 years / $23.5M

                      - LB Sione Takitaki: Signed with Patriots, 2 years / $6.5M / Up to $10M

                      - QB P.J. Walker

                      - LB Anthony Walker Jr.: Signed with Dolphins, 1 year

                      Browns 2024 Trades and Signings:
                      - Acquired Jerry Jeudy from Broncos for fifth round pick (No. 135) and sixth round pick (No. 202) 

                      - Signed free agent  LB Jordan Hicks, 2 years / $8M

                      - Signed free agent QB Jameis Winston, 1 year / $8.7M

                      - Signed free agent RB Nyheim Hines, 1 year / $3.5M

                      - Signed free agent T Hakeem Adeniji, 1 year

                      - Signed free agent DT Quinton Jefferson, 1 year

                      - Signed free agent LB Devin Bush, 1 year

                      - Signed free agent TE Giovanni Ricci, 1 year

                      - Signed free agent CB Tony Brown, 1 year

                      ---------------------

                      So, it looks like we covered, with acquisitions, the positions that we lost.   And we added a WR in Jeudy, like we did last year with Elijah Moore.

                      I think that we'll be able to go into the draft open to Best Player Available.  I don't think that the signing of Ricci to replace Harrison stops us from drafting a pass catching TE to help Njoku.  Nor do I think Jeudy stops us from drafting a WR.  In addition to TE & WR I'd be looking for Bitonio's eventual replacement at Guard, more speed in the secondary and OT.  I don't know if the signing of the RB Hines means that we don't draft a RB.  I'm unsure about that position.  We're hoping that Chubb will be ok.  But I'm not sure what they think of Ford and Pierre Strong.  

                      Anyway, I think that FA has set us up such that we don't have a major need at any position and don't have to 'force' something.  Which is a good way to go into a draft...especially when ya don't have a 1st round pick.

                      Flugel FlugelF Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                      • 11k Posts
                      • 6k Reputation
                      FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      @orion said:

                      Browns 2024 unrestricted free agents:
                      - LB Matthew Adams

                      - TE Harrison Bryant: Signed with Raiders, 1 year / $4M

                      - P Corey Bojorquez: Re-signed with Browns, 2 years

                      - OL Geron Christian  -  This guy was our starter at LT for a substantial part of last season

                      - QB Jeff Driskel

                      - OL Michael Dunn: Re-signed with Browns

                      - DT Jordan Elliott: Signed with 49ers, 2 years / $10M

                      - QB Joe Flacco: Signed with Colts, 1 year / Up to $8.7M

                      - CB Mike Ford: Signed with Texans, 2 years / $4.5M

                      - WR Marquise Goodwin

                      - WR Jakeem Grant

                      - S Duron Harmon

                      - OL Nick Harris: Signed with Raiders, 1 year / $2.51M

                      - DT Shelby Harris: Re-signed with Browns, 2 years / $9M

                      - RB Kareem Hunt

                      - DT Maurice Hurst: Re-signed with Browns, 1 year / $3.2 M

                      - DL Sam Kamara (Exclusive Rights Free Agent)

                      - LB Jordan Kunaszyk

                      - S Rodney McLeod

                      - OL Ty Nsekhe

                      - LB Jacob Phillips

                      - WR James Proche

                      - DE Za’Darius Smith: Re-signed with Browns, 2 years / $23.5M

                      - LB Sione Takitaki: Signed with Patriots, 2 years / $6.5M / Up to $10M

                      - QB P.J. Walker

                      - LB Anthony Walker Jr.: Signed with Dolphins, 1 year

                      Browns 2024 Trades and Signings:
                      - Acquired Jerry Jeudy from Broncos for fifth round pick (No. 135) and sixth round pick (No. 202) 

                      - Signed free agent  LB Jordan Hicks, 2 years / $8M

                      - Signed free agent QB Jameis Winston, 1 year / $8.7M

                      - Signed free agent RB Nyheim Hines, 1 year / $3.5M

                      - Signed free agent T Hakeem Adeniji, 1 year

                      - Signed free agent DT Quinton Jefferson, 1 year

                      - Signed free agent LB Devin Bush, 1 year

                      - Signed free agent TE Giovanni Ricci, 1 year

                      - Signed free agent CB Tony Brown, 1 year

                      ---------------------

                      So, it looks like we covered, with acquisitions, the positions that we lost.   And we added a WR in Jeudy, like we did last year with Elijah Moore.

                      I think that we'll be able to go into the draft open to Best Player Available.  I don't think that the signing of Ricci to replace Harrison stops us from drafting a pass catching TE to help Njoku.  Nor do I think Jeudy stops us from drafting a WR.  In addition to TE & WR I'd be looking for Bitonio's eventual replacement at Guard, more speed in the secondary and OT.  I don't know if the signing of the RB Hines means that we don't draft a RB.  I'm unsure about that position.  We're hoping that Chubb will be ok.  But I'm not sure what they think of Ford and Pierre Strong.  

                      Anyway, I think that FA has set us up such that we don't have a major need at any position and don't have to 'force' something.  Which is a good way to go into a draft...especially when ya don't have a 1st round pick.

                      Nice job with that!  Speaking of Joel Bitonio - he played Tackle in college at Vegas; but LG in Cleveland next to Joe Thomas. This draft has a lot of offensive linemen that have backgrounds playing both Guard and Center or Guard and Tackle.   Not only that, but some even have experience playing on both the right and left (in 1  world where the left and right are still work together as a cohesive team.  When they don't you cut their ass!)  Anyway, there's a kid from way yonder at Kansas State that caught my eye in their 2022 Big 12 Championship victory over TCU.  It was OL Cooper Beebe who as played all of the following positions during his tenure at K-State: LG, LT, RG, RT in his 6-4 335lb frame.  He's got 40 starts that were punctuated by a Consensus 1st Team All American Honor in 2023 as well as earning the Big 12 Offensive Lineman of the Year award.  That type of flexibility reminds me of Bitonio coming out of college as a LT and making NFL Pro Bowls as a LG.  We have 1 aging OG, 1 very expensive FA OG and 1 very suspect LT so a guy like Cooper Beebe could be a very nice pick for us.  Another guy that's very intriguing as an OG or OT is Dominick Puni from Kansas at 6-5 320lbs.  2 different guys from colleges in Kansas?  What can I say?  There was a sale on glue...  There's another guy @gumby73 likes if we want to wait until round 3 or 4 for in UConn's Christian Haynes at 6-2 313lbs.  Only flaws in his game despite being a 2 star recruit are height and length.  I take that to mean a lot of passion went into his game to put him on the NFL Draft map.  This reminds me of the Ali Marpet story who made himself into a 2nd round draft pick at #61 overall (Tampa Bay) out of Division 3 school Hobart in Upstate NY.  Tour found this needle in the haystack and wrote up some good pre-draft intrigue info about him.  If memory serves me right he had a nice career for Tampa at OG.  Anyway, the draft has a way of rewarding the teams that do the best research.  I hope that's us!

                      I welcome the only Defensive Coordinator to earn a Superbowl Ring in New Orleans while understanding Revenge of the Nerds is a sequel. "Come get some!"
                      OrionO 1 Reply Last reply
                      👍
                      Quote Reply
                      • FlugelF Flugel

                        @orion said:

                        Browns 2024 unrestricted free agents:
                        - LB Matthew Adams

                        - TE Harrison Bryant: Signed with Raiders, 1 year / $4M

                        - P Corey Bojorquez: Re-signed with Browns, 2 years

                        - OL Geron Christian  -  This guy was our starter at LT for a substantial part of last season

                        - QB Jeff Driskel

                        - OL Michael Dunn: Re-signed with Browns

                        - DT Jordan Elliott: Signed with 49ers, 2 years / $10M

                        - QB Joe Flacco: Signed with Colts, 1 year / Up to $8.7M

                        - CB Mike Ford: Signed with Texans, 2 years / $4.5M

                        - WR Marquise Goodwin

                        - WR Jakeem Grant

                        - S Duron Harmon

                        - OL Nick Harris: Signed with Raiders, 1 year / $2.51M

                        - DT Shelby Harris: Re-signed with Browns, 2 years / $9M

                        - RB Kareem Hunt

                        - DT Maurice Hurst: Re-signed with Browns, 1 year / $3.2 M

                        - DL Sam Kamara (Exclusive Rights Free Agent)

                        - LB Jordan Kunaszyk

                        - S Rodney McLeod

                        - OL Ty Nsekhe

                        - LB Jacob Phillips

                        - WR James Proche

                        - DE Za’Darius Smith: Re-signed with Browns, 2 years / $23.5M

                        - LB Sione Takitaki: Signed with Patriots, 2 years / $6.5M / Up to $10M

                        - QB P.J. Walker

                        - LB Anthony Walker Jr.: Signed with Dolphins, 1 year

                        Browns 2024 Trades and Signings:
                        - Acquired Jerry Jeudy from Broncos for fifth round pick (No. 135) and sixth round pick (No. 202) 

                        - Signed free agent  LB Jordan Hicks, 2 years / $8M

                        - Signed free agent QB Jameis Winston, 1 year / $8.7M

                        - Signed free agent RB Nyheim Hines, 1 year / $3.5M

                        - Signed free agent T Hakeem Adeniji, 1 year

                        - Signed free agent DT Quinton Jefferson, 1 year

                        - Signed free agent LB Devin Bush, 1 year

                        - Signed free agent TE Giovanni Ricci, 1 year

                        - Signed free agent CB Tony Brown, 1 year

                        ---------------------

                        So, it looks like we covered, with acquisitions, the positions that we lost.   And we added a WR in Jeudy, like we did last year with Elijah Moore.

                        I think that we'll be able to go into the draft open to Best Player Available.  I don't think that the signing of Ricci to replace Harrison stops us from drafting a pass catching TE to help Njoku.  Nor do I think Jeudy stops us from drafting a WR.  In addition to TE & WR I'd be looking for Bitonio's eventual replacement at Guard, more speed in the secondary and OT.  I don't know if the signing of the RB Hines means that we don't draft a RB.  I'm unsure about that position.  We're hoping that Chubb will be ok.  But I'm not sure what they think of Ford and Pierre Strong.  

                        Anyway, I think that FA has set us up such that we don't have a major need at any position and don't have to 'force' something.  Which is a good way to go into a draft...especially when ya don't have a 1st round pick.

                        Nice job with that!  Speaking of Joel Bitonio - he played Tackle in college at Vegas; but LG in Cleveland next to Joe Thomas. This draft has a lot of offensive linemen that have backgrounds playing both Guard and Center or Guard and Tackle.   Not only that, but some even have experience playing on both the right and left (in 1  world where the left and right are still work together as a cohesive team.  When they don't you cut their ass!)  Anyway, there's a kid from way yonder at Kansas State that caught my eye in their 2022 Big 12 Championship victory over TCU.  It was OL Cooper Beebe who as played all of the following positions during his tenure at K-State: LG, LT, RG, RT in his 6-4 335lb frame.  He's got 40 starts that were punctuated by a Consensus 1st Team All American Honor in 2023 as well as earning the Big 12 Offensive Lineman of the Year award.  That type of flexibility reminds me of Bitonio coming out of college as a LT and making NFL Pro Bowls as a LG.  We have 1 aging OG, 1 very expensive FA OG and 1 very suspect LT so a guy like Cooper Beebe could be a very nice pick for us.  Another guy that's very intriguing as an OG or OT is Dominick Puni from Kansas at 6-5 320lbs.  2 different guys from colleges in Kansas?  What can I say?  There was a sale on glue...  There's another guy @gumby73 likes if we want to wait until round 3 or 4 for in UConn's Christian Haynes at 6-2 313lbs.  Only flaws in his game despite being a 2 star recruit are height and length.  I take that to mean a lot of passion went into his game to put him on the NFL Draft map.  This reminds me of the Ali Marpet story who made himself into a 2nd round draft pick at #61 overall (Tampa Bay) out of Division 3 school Hobart in Upstate NY.  Tour found this needle in the haystack and wrote up some good pre-draft intrigue info about him.  If memory serves me right he had a nice career for Tampa at OG.  Anyway, the draft has a way of rewarding the teams that do the best research.  I hope that's us!

                        Orion OrionO Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                        • 9k Posts
                        • 4k Reputation
                        OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        @flugel said:

                        Speaking of Joel Bitonio

                        Walter Football's Big Board:  (we pick 54 & 85)

                        63.  Cooper Beebe, G, Kansas State.
                         
                        90.  Dominic Puni, OT, Kansas.
                         
                        82.  Christian Haynes, G, Connecticut.
                        BEING A BROWNS FAN IS A TEST TO SEE HOW MUCH YOU CAN TAKE
                        FlugelF 1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • OrionO Orion

                          @flugel said:

                          Speaking of Joel Bitonio

                          Walter Football's Big Board:  (we pick 54 & 85)

                          63.  Cooper Beebe, G, Kansas State.
                           
                          90.  Dominic Puni, OT, Kansas.
                           
                          82.  Christian Haynes, G, Connecticut.
                          Flugel FlugelF Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                          • 11k Posts
                          • 6k Reputation
                          FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          @orion said:

                          Walter Football's Big Board:  (we pick 54 & 85)

                          63.  Cooper Beebe, G, Kansas State.
                           
                          90.  Dominic Puni, OT, Kansas.
                           
                          82.  Christian Haynes, G, Connecticut.

                          Thanks Orion.  In Athlon Sports Draft Guide Mock Draft  they have Beebe being drafted at #48 overall. I'll check later where they have him ranked though.  Walter Football is better than Athlon Sports though.

                          I welcome the only Defensive Coordinator to earn a Superbowl Ring in New Orleans while understanding Revenge of the Nerds is a sequel. "Come get some!"
                          FlugelF OrionO T 3 Replies Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • FlugelF Flugel

                            @orion said:

                            Walter Football's Big Board:  (we pick 54 & 85)

                            63.  Cooper Beebe, G, Kansas State.
                             
                            90.  Dominic Puni, OT, Kansas.
                             
                            82.  Christian Haynes, G, Connecticut.

                            Thanks Orion.  In Athlon Sports Draft Guide Mock Draft  they have Beebe being drafted at #48 overall. I'll check later where they have him ranked though.  Walter Football is better than Athlon Sports though.

                            Flugel FlugelF Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                            • 11k Posts
                            • 6k Reputation
                            FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            @flugel said:

                            Thanks Orion.  In Athlon Sports NFL Draft Magazine  they have Beebe being drafted at #48 overall. He's ranked #37 in their Top 100 Prospects. That said, Walter Football is a lot more widely used than the Athlon Sports.  I'm old school so I like having the names/positions all organized for me in the mag where I know where I can find them.

                            I welcome the only Defensive Coordinator to earn a Superbowl Ring in New Orleans while understanding Revenge of the Nerds is a sequel. "Come get some!"
                            1 Reply Last reply
                            👍
                            Quote Reply
                            • FlugelF Flugel

                              @orion said:

                              Walter Football's Big Board:  (we pick 54 & 85)

                              63.  Cooper Beebe, G, Kansas State.
                               
                              90.  Dominic Puni, OT, Kansas.
                               
                              82.  Christian Haynes, G, Connecticut.

                              Thanks Orion.  In Athlon Sports Draft Guide Mock Draft  they have Beebe being drafted at #48 overall. I'll check later where they have him ranked though.  Walter Football is better than Athlon Sports though.

                              Orion OrionO Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                              • 9k Posts
                              • 4k Reputation
                              OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
                              #14

                              @flugel said:

                              In Athlon Sports Draft Guide Mock Draft  they have Beebe being drafted at #48 overall. ....  Walter Football is better than Athlon Sports though.

                              I don't know who's better than who at ranking the players.  I've just always gone to Walter at this time of year.  It's like being a migratory bird.  🙂   But odds might be pretty good that one of those 3 guys that you and gumby like will be available when we pick.  

                              BEING A BROWNS FAN IS A TEST TO SEE HOW MUCH YOU CAN TAKE
                              1 Reply Last reply
                              👍
                              Quote Reply
                              • FlugelF Flugel

                                @orion said:

                                Walter Football's Big Board:  (we pick 54 & 85)

                                63.  Cooper Beebe, G, Kansas State.
                                 
                                90.  Dominic Puni, OT, Kansas.
                                 
                                82.  Christian Haynes, G, Connecticut.

                                Thanks Orion.  In Athlon Sports Draft Guide Mock Draft  they have Beebe being drafted at #48 overall. I'll check later where they have him ranked though.  Walter Football is better than Athlon Sports though.

                                TexasAg1969 T Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                • 23k Posts
                                • 6k Reputation
                                T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
                                #15

                                @flugel said:

                                Thanks Orion.  In Athlon Sports Draft Guide Mock Draft  they have Beebe being drafted at #48 overall. I'll check later where they have him ranked though.  Walter Football is better than Athlon Sports though.

                                Are you sure about that Tom?  ? 

                                https://walterfootball.com/draft2024ILB.php

                                FlugelF gumby73G OrionO 4 Replies Last reply
                                Quote Reply
                                • T TexasAg1969

                                  @flugel said:

                                  Thanks Orion.  In Athlon Sports Draft Guide Mock Draft  they have Beebe being drafted at #48 overall. I'll check later where they have him ranked though.  Walter Football is better than Athlon Sports though.

                                  Are you sure about that Tom?  ? 

                                  https://walterfootball.com/draft2024ILB.php

                                  Flugel FlugelF Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                  • 11k Posts
                                  • 6k Reputation
                                  FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
                                  #16

                                  @texasag1969 said:

                                  Are you sure about that Tom?  ? 

                                  https://walterfootball.com/draft2024ILB.php

                                  Am I sure?  I don't even know if we're agreeing or disagreeing; so the question is - what do you think Mr MeAggies?   

                                  I welcome the only Defensive Coordinator to earn a Superbowl Ring in New Orleans while understanding Revenge of the Nerds is a sequel. "Come get some!"
                                  T 1 Reply Last reply
                                  Quote Reply
                                  • T TexasAg1969

                                    @flugel said:

                                    Thanks Orion.  In Athlon Sports Draft Guide Mock Draft  they have Beebe being drafted at #48 overall. I'll check later where they have him ranked though.  Walter Football is better than Athlon Sports though.

                                    Are you sure about that Tom?  ? 

                                    https://walterfootball.com/draft2024ILB.php

                                    gumby73 gumby73G Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                    • 11k Posts
                                    • 4k Reputation
                                    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
                                    #17

                                    @texasag1969 said:

                                    Are you sure about that Tom?  ? 

                                    https://walterfootball.com/draft2024ILB.php

                                    This Wild-cat (Zombo's edit to wilddawg still lives 😁) stuck out to me during the Combine. Looked built like a old school ILB.. falls thru cracks in many iLB rankings..

                                    The only site that has Wallace ranked inside it's top 100 is ESPN #87.. 

                                    https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/trevin-wallace-scouting-report-exploring-kentucky-lb-s-strengths-weaknesses

                                    NC State Payton Wilson may not fit AB's age (24) draft profile? But, Wilson looks to be the best sure tackler that can cover from this weak class  

                                    Browns & Buffett: Got to go fishin, Down to rock bottom again, with just a few Friends Team Brotherhood-"It's not about You,Me or I. It's about building We"..Hue Jackson
                                    FlugelF 1 Reply Last reply
                                    Quote Reply
                                    • T TexasAg1969

                                      @flugel said:

                                      Thanks Orion.  In Athlon Sports Draft Guide Mock Draft  they have Beebe being drafted at #48 overall. I'll check later where they have him ranked though.  Walter Football is better than Athlon Sports though.

                                      Are you sure about that Tom?  ? 

                                      https://walterfootball.com/draft2024ILB.php

                                      Flugel FlugelF Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                      • 11k Posts
                                      • 6k Reputation
                                      FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
                                      #18

                                      @texasag1969 said:

                                      Are you sure about that Tom?  ? 

                                      https://walterfootball.com/draft2024ILB.php

                                      I noticed you wanted me to see ILB and here's the first thing that came up. If anything, it agrees with Tia's assessment.  You can be fast but not instinctive (ie: Bark Mingo). On the other hand, you can run disappointing 40s like Ray Lewis but have instincts that put you in the HOF. Do you think 2 FF and 83 tackles in a 12-13 game season advertises the next Ray Lewis?  As for the 8 sacks, the 4 I saw on highlights endorsing him came on the blindside in formations where the OG and OT had DL lined up over their inside shoulders meaning?  There was nobody available to block the blitzer on the edge so a quick 6-3 230lb guy is going to get the freebies.  That's 1 way to reflect the point below that he's not a natural in coverage; and usually LBers that can't get to their hook zones on time struggle with the 1st step instinct. Diagnosing run or pass in the NFL is pretty important in this era.  I think if you go back and read what I wrote about him I said in fairness, it was a very quick film review (cliffs notes caliber).  He was kind of a beast with the violent run-up explosive collisions; but there were 3 different occasions where ballcarriers bounced off or were jolted back from his hits that didn't include a simultaneous wrap with the hits.  In those cases, he had to re-engage, wrap and wrestle those guys to the group without the momentum of speed into the re-do tackle effort.  You of all people know you're got Derrick Henry to stand there and wait for Cooper's re-do attempt.  As I said in my observations you didn't respond to - instinct LBers tend to be really good tacklers because they get repeatedly get themselves into ideal position under control for the form tackle with head-up accompanying a simultaneous hit and wrap.  Someone that doesn't have an ideal 1st step instinct but has Cooper's quicks/speed can fly up and make the physics induced/hard hits like Cooper.  But, that has an out of control side to it where he doesn't square up and execute solid form tackles. 

                                      If you watch his game against the Miami Hurricanes, where he had a Casper-the-friendly-ghost-like 3 solo tackles and 3 assists. That day he faced the type of game plans he'll see at the NFL level that will challenge his ability to get to his hook zones or flats (depending where he is in formation).  They didn't stop anything that day. I think you will agree there's some things for him to shore up.  The NFL will give him more of that than the gimme sacks from blitzes where nobody is assigned to block him.

                                      I think I concluded his hustle and passion jumped off the screen; but good coaching and proper film prep at the next level are definitely needed to shore up the things I spoke about.  Bad habits can be resolved but how quickly may depend on how long he got away with them.  Film doesn't always give us just the convenient truth - even for home town heroes.  ?

                                      1. Texas A&M image Edgerrin Cooper*, ILB, Texas A&M
                                      Height: 6-3. Weight: 230.
                                      40 Time: 4.51.
                                      Projected Round (2024): 1-2.

                                      3/16/24: Cooper impressed team sources in 2023, showing explosive speed and athleticism. They noted that while Cooper is not as natural in coverage, he is a beast in the ground game. In 2023, he totaled 83 tackles, eight sacks, two forced fumbles, zero interceptions and a pass batted.

                                      Cooper has excellent size for the NFL, including ideal height and length. He accepted an invitation to the East-West Shrine, but then declined to practice at the last minute. Cooper did not interview well with teams at the East-West Shrine, displaying a poor attitude and giving teams questions about whether they would want to add him to their locker room. Sources said Cooper was so-so in the combine interview.

                                       
                                      I welcome the only Defensive Coordinator to earn a Superbowl Ring in New Orleans while understanding Revenge of the Nerds is a sequel. "Come get some!"
                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Quote Reply
                                      • gumby73G gumby73

                                        @texasag1969 said:

                                        Are you sure about that Tom?  ? 

                                        https://walterfootball.com/draft2024ILB.php

                                        This Wild-cat (Zombo's edit to wilddawg still lives 😁) stuck out to me during the Combine. Looked built like a old school ILB.. falls thru cracks in many iLB rankings..

                                        The only site that has Wallace ranked inside it's top 100 is ESPN #87.. 

                                        https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/trevin-wallace-scouting-report-exploring-kentucky-lb-s-strengths-weaknesses

                                        NC State Payton Wilson may not fit AB's age (24) draft profile? But, Wilson looks to be the best sure tackler that can cover from this weak class  

                                        Flugel FlugelF Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                        • 11k Posts
                                        • 6k Reputation
                                        FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
                                        #19

                                        @gumby73 said:

                                        This Wild-cat (Zombo's edit to wilddawg still lives 😁) stuck out to me during the Combine. Looked built like a old school ILB.. falls thru cracks in many iLB rankings..

                                        The only site that has Wallace ranked inside it's top 100 is ESPN #87.. 

                                        https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/trevin-wallace-scouting-report-exploring-kentucky-lb-s-strengths-weaknesses

                                        NC State Payton Wilson may not fit AB's age (24) draft profile? But, Wilson looks to be the best sure tackler that can cover from this weak class  

                                        Payton Wilson was 1 of the 5 guys I listed I would like us to strongly consider for our round 2 spot.  He's very good in coverage because he has the instincts to be where he's needed. He also lifted a lot of eye brows at the combines...  My only worry with him is he has had some serious injuries in the past; but I don't think they're recent enough to have too much concern with.  My guess is he'd be a 1st round prospect if it wasn't for that.

                                        I welcome the only Defensive Coordinator to earn a Superbowl Ring in New Orleans while understanding Revenge of the Nerds is a sequel. "Come get some!"
                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        👍
                                        Quote Reply
                                        • T TexasAg1969

                                          @flugel said:

                                          Thanks Orion.  In Athlon Sports Draft Guide Mock Draft  they have Beebe being drafted at #48 overall. I'll check later where they have him ranked though.  Walter Football is better than Athlon Sports though.

                                          Are you sure about that Tom?  ? 

                                          https://walterfootball.com/draft2024ILB.php

                                          Orion OrionO Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                          • 9k Posts
                                          • 4k Reputation
                                          OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
                                          #20

                                          @texasag1969 said:

                                          Are you sure about that Tom?  ? 

                                          https://walterfootball.com/draft2024ILB.php

                                          Seems like quite a few guys projected to be available in the rounds we'll be picking in.

                                          BEING A BROWNS FAN IS A TEST TO SEE HOW MUCH YOU CAN TAKE
                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          ❤
                                          Quote Reply

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          Theme
                                          • System
                                          • Light
                                          • Dark
                                          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Forums
                                          • Recent
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Donate