Skip to content

The problem isn't Quinn or DA folks.....

The Browns Board
53 19 2.9k
  • I'm still trying to figure out, why if we have Quinn, who unlike DA can run, we don't run a few more designed plays to move the pocket. I would have like to see a bootleg by Quinn with the option to run, this would at least make use of his strength. There just doesn't seem to be anything original in the play calling. I didn't get to see Quinn play college ball but from what I can find on line he would throw and complete the mid/long range ball which makes me believe that there just isn't anyone getting open. Now I still don't understand the throwing for a 3 yard gain when we need 10.

    @spisatus said:

    I'm still trying to figure out, why if we have Quinn, who unlike DA can run, we don't run a few more designed plays to move the pocket. I would have like to see a bootleg by Quinn with the option to run, this would at least make use of his strength. There just doesn't seem to be anything original in the play calling. I didn't get to see Quinn play college ball but from what I can find on line he would throw and complete the mid/long range ball which makes me believe that there just isn't anyone getting open. Now I still don't understand the throwing for a 3 yard gain when we need 10.

    Because Daboll's playcalling is as predictable and poor as Carthon's or Chud's.

  • @atenears said:

    That's fine, leave St. Clair in Denver ... but Brady Quinn acted like he had no idea that the Bronco's were going to pin back their ears on 3rd long with his back to end zone (2nd and long for that matter).

    Quinn just really looks clueless, it sure don't help the o-line and vice-versa.

    to tell you the truth, We probably provided better protection to start that game as I have seen in the new era, and we still couldn't move the chains.

    Run blocking wise, we suck, plus our RB's miss holes left and right and per timing.

    I'll agree after watching DA step back and fire (come hell or high water), it looks like Quinn is taking forever even when he does get time.

    Add no running game, no playmakers, etc. and I don't know where to start. Agee though, we Browns fans have sung the "no talent around the QB" song since Tim Couch. I can't sing it no more. Need someone to step forward and take the lead, and usually that's the QB.

    @oconrecon said:

    I'll agree after watching DA step back and fire (come hell or high water), it looks like Quinn is taking forever even when he does get time.

    Add no running game, no playmakers, etc. and I don't know where to start. Agee though, we Browns fans have sung the "no talent around the QB" song since Tim Couch. I can't sing it no more. Need someone to step forward and take the lead, and usually that's the QB.

    Ocon, it almost seems like the opposite of the Minn game when people said he was checking down too quick. Seems like he was trying too hard not to and ended up holding it too long and taking sacks.

  • You Quinn Backers are INSANE!!!!

    Last year AFTER THE DENVER GAME... TEAMS PLAYED TIGHT TO TAKE AWAY HIS QUICK PASSES AND FORCING HIM TO READ AND THROW MID TO LONG...

    That has the EFFECT OF PUTTING MORE DEFENDERS IN CLOSE TOO STOP THE RUN.....

    The last two games of his last year and this year its the same..... HE DOES NOT HAVE THE ARM STRENGTH AND ACCURACY MID TO LONG AND HE KNOWS IT WHICH IS WHY HE CHECKS DOWN CONSTANTLY OR GETS SACKED.

    The offense is DEAD BECAUSE OF QUINN AND HOW TEAMS GAME PLAN AGAINST US MAKING US ONE DIMENSIONAL.

    WATCH YOUR DVR AND SEE HOW THEY JAM THE LINE AND PLAY TIGHT ALSO HAVING LBS IN TIGHT TO TAKE AWAY HIS QUICK SLANTS AND PASSES...

    The defense played THE SAME AGAIN THIS WEEK..... They played tough in the first half but in the third and fourth GOT WORE DOWN BECAUSE OUR NOODLE ARM QB CANT SUSTAIN A DRIVE TIRING OUT THE DEFENSE.

    JUST ADMIT IT YOU QUINN JUNKIES THIS IS A PRODUCT OF YOUR "NFL READY/WEIS/ND COACHED" 3 YEARS IN PREPARATION qb...

    ---------------------------------------------

    Get em' Osusev!!! Your'e exactly right!...I'm not saying we still wouldn't suck, but Bradys only hurting us.

    @jrex223 said:

    JUST ADMIT IT YOU QUINN JUNKIES THIS IS A PRODUCT OF YOUR "NFL READY/WEIS/ND COACHED" 3 YEARS IN PREPARATION qb...

    We believe the next guy deserved a chance. No one said Quinn is a guaranteed winner.

    Only Weis said NFL ready.

    And I believe it's 3 years of rust. The clipboard theory is crap. There's only one way to get better at playing QB and that's the actually play QB.

    There's not 1 fan on this board who is happy with the team at this point. Quinn's play isn't helping.

  • @oconrecon said:

    I'll agree after watching DA step back and fire (come hell or high water), it looks like Quinn is taking forever even when he does get time.

    Add no running game, no playmakers, etc. and I don't know where to start. Agee though, we Browns fans have sung the "no talent around the QB" song since Tim Couch. I can't sing it no more. Need someone to step forward and take the lead, and usually that's the QB.

    Ocon, it almost seems like the opposite of the Minn game when people said he was checking down too quick. Seems like he was trying too hard not to and ended up holding it too long and taking sacks.

    @nebbrownsfan said:

    Ocon, it almost seems like the opposite of the Minn game when people said he was checking down too quick. Seems like he was trying too hard not to and ended up holding it too long and taking sacks.

    Hmm. That's true.

    One thing we can all agree on, the whole system is just not clicking. It's not like everything is smooth, if only Quinn could complete a pass.

  • @jrex223 said:

    JUST ADMIT IT YOU QUINN JUNKIES THIS IS A PRODUCT OF YOUR "NFL READY/WEIS/ND COACHED" 3 YEARS IN PREPARATION qb...

    We believe the next guy deserved a chance. No one said Quinn is a guaranteed winner.

    Only Weis said NFL ready.

    And I believe it's 3 years of rust. The clipboard theory is crap. There's only one way to get better at playing QB and that's the actually play QB.

    There's not 1 fan on this board who is happy with the team at this point. Quinn's play isn't helping.

    @oconrecon said:

    We believe the next guy deserved a chance. No one said Quinn is guaranteed winner.

    Only Weis said NFL ready.

    And I believe it's 3 years of rust. The clipboard theory is crap. There's only one way to get better at playing QB and that's the actually play QB.

    There's not 1 fan on this board who is happy with the team at this point. Quinn's play isn't helping.

    All i know is.......we have a guy on the bench that has won 10 games in ONE season.........we have a guy that is the starting QB who has done nothing but capture the hearts of the Browns fans.

  • @oconrecon said:

    We believe the next guy deserved a chance. No one said Quinn is guaranteed winner.

    Only Weis said NFL ready.

    And I believe it's 3 years of rust. The clipboard theory is crap. There's only one way to get better at playing QB and that's the actually play QB.

    There's not 1 fan on this board who is happy with the team at this point. Quinn's play isn't helping.

    All i know is.......we have a guy on the bench that has won 10 games in ONE season.........we have a guy that is the starting QB who has done nothing but capture the hearts of the Browns fans.

    @kbndawg said:

    All i know is.......we have a guy on the bench that has won 10 games in ONE season.........we have a guy that is the starting QB who has done nothing but capture the hearts of the Browns fans.

    Yeah, but what happened in 2007 has no bearing as was shown in 2008.

  • @kbndawg said:

    All i know is.......we have a guy on the bench that has won 10 games in ONE season.........we have a guy that is the starting QB who has done nothing but capture the hearts of the Browns fans.

    Yeah, but what happened in 2007 has no bearing as was shown in 2008.

    @nebbrownsfan said:

    Yeah, but what happened in 2007 has no bearing as was shown in 2008.

    IF Anderson was 0-2 this year you would be going nuts.............but it's Quinn and he gets a pass. Fact is.......Quinn looks no better then Anderson.

  • @nebbrownsfan said:

    Yeah, but what happened in 2007 has no bearing as was shown in 2008.

    IF Anderson was 0-2 this year you would be going nuts.............but it's Quinn and he gets a pass. Fact is.......Quinn looks no better then Anderson.

    @kbndawg said:

    IF Anderson was 0-2 this year you would be going nuts.............but it's Quinn and he gets a pass. Fact is.......Quinn looks no better then Anderson.

    Might have something to do with the number of starts DA has without showing ANY progress in his skills as compared to the number of starts Quinn has, ya think?

  • @kbndawg said:

    IF Anderson was 0-2 this year you would be going nuts.............but it's Quinn and he gets a pass. Fact is.......Quinn looks no better then Anderson.

    Might have something to do with the number of starts DA has without showing ANY progress in his skills as compared to the number of starts Quinn has, ya think?

    @nebbrownsfan said:

    Might have something to do with the number of starts DA has without showing ANY progress in his skills as compared to the number of starts Quinn has, ya think?

    No, actually i don't. Hey, Anderson has a BIG downside to his game.....can't argue with that. But, you have to stop with the "limited starts" argument. There are a few Qb's in the NFL that have put that myth to rest. I'm not saying that Anderson is the almighty but for chrissake stop claiming that Quinn is.

  • @nebbrownsfan said:

    Yeah, but what happened in 2007 has no bearing as was shown in 2008.

    IF Anderson was 0-2 this year you would be going nuts.............but it's Quinn and he gets a pass. Fact is.......Quinn looks no better then Anderson.

    @kbndawg said:

    IF Anderson was 0-2 this year you would be going nuts.............but it's Quinn and he gets a pass. Fact is.......Quinn looks no better then Anderson.

    I'm a Quinn fan simply because I thought he would give us more options, still to early to say. I'm not sure if Quinn is worse or better than Anderson, but I'd rather lose a lot of games and know that Brady IS NOT that guy then to go into the draft not knowing. By the end of this season we will know whether or not we have 1 good QB, 2 average quarterbacks, or a good 1st ground draft picks (looking this way isn't it)

  • @nebbrownsfan said:

    Might have something to do with the number of starts DA has without showing ANY progress in his skills as compared to the number of starts Quinn has, ya think?

    No, actually i don't. Hey, Anderson has a BIG downside to his game.....can't argue with that. But, you have to stop with the "limited starts" argument. There are a few Qb's in the NFL that have put that myth to rest. I'm not saying that Anderson is the almighty but for chrissake stop claiming that Quinn is.

    @kbndawg said:

    No, actually i don't. Hey, Anderson has a BIG downside to his game.....can't argue with that. But, you have to stop with the "limited starts" argument. There are a few Qb's in the NFL that have put that myth to rest. I'm not saying that Anderson is the almighty but for chrissake stop claiming that Quinn is.

    And there are a lot of guys that take a little longer.....Brees, Eli Manning, et al. Just because one or two can come in and click right away doesn't mean Quinn will. So yeah, the number of starts argument DOES hold water. DA had 27 and could not show progress. You want more of that? DA led the team to 11 points or LESS in 5 or 6 of his 9 starts in 2008. You want more of that?

  • End the QB discussions from now on...cuz it don't matter. Unless we fix four main things we won't win a damn game!

    1. The defense: cannot stop a damn thing.

    2. Brian Daboll: does not know how to mix up play calling and use the whole field. Way too many hitch routes and basic run plays. No inventiveness.

    3. We need a RB with speed!!! Jamal is done!

    4. CUT ST. CLAIR NOW!!!!!

    @socaldog said:

    End the QB discussions from now on...cuz it don't matter. Unless we fix four main things we won't win a damn game!

    1. The defense: cannot stop a damn thing.

    2. Brian Daboll: does not know how to mix up play calling and use the whole field. Way too many hitch routes and basic run plays. No inventiveness.

    3. We need a RB with speed!!! Jamal is done!

    4. CUT ST. CLAIR NOW!!!!!

    Here are my thoughts on the game that I wrote in an email to another member.

    Problems (kind of in order)

    Daboll (suck factory douche-nozzle Chud2)

    RBs (jamal is goalline situations only at this point. And that's

    passing situations. He'd be a mismatch in the endzone. Also he's a

    beast on passblocking - I loved the way he upended Dawkins on one play

    - Dumervil still pasted StPuss on the play and collapsed the pocket. I

    don't know why he can't run anymore, I'm thinking it falls more on our

    line)

    Right side of OL (holy hell StClair is atrocious)

    3rd down passing game (clearly Daboll is #1 here too but our only open

    routes were 5 yds short of 1st down. Quinn gets a little blame but

    I'll excuse him making those throws if that's what was open. Cribbs

    gets some blame for not knowing where the line is. But props to both

    guys for trying to make a play, that is, Quinn getting it to Cribbs in

    space to give him a chance to do something)

    No slants or Sceen passes all game. Is the playbook like some

    murder/mystery drama where we'll get all of it at the end?

    Quinn (actually didn't have an awful game but needed to play lights out FTW)

    Pass Rush is almost there (but it seems like our pass coverage is

    nonexistent Stokely ran all over the field).

    Do we play TE's anymore?

    Safties? With the #1 pick of the 2010 draft, the Cleveland Browns

    select Eric Berry or Taylor Mays.

  • You're right........i want more of what i am seeing now.

  • You're right........i want more of what i am seeing now.

    @kbndawg said:

    You're right........i want more of what i am seeing now.

    LOL....I think you see it no matter which one is in. The offense is too predictable and not clicking at all.

  • @kbndawg said:

    You're right........i want more of what i am seeing now.

    LOL....I think you see it no matter which one is in. The offense is too predictable and not clicking at all.

    @nebbrownsfan said:

    LOL....I think you see it no matter which one is in. The offense is too predictable and not clicking at all.

    You would be correct. That's it in a nutshell.....add to that..........they are just not good enough to be competitive.

  • First of all there were no holes for any of the running backs...There were TONS of holes for the defensive lineman to run through at QB on passing downs. The offesive line failed miserably on run and pass blocking today. Adrian Peterson could not run behind this line, Drew Breese could not be effective with our pass blocking...

    Offensive Line gets and F Grade for sure.. St.Clair was a turnstyle.

    Braylon was good today..Cribbs looked lost, clueless. I counted at least 4 times where he ran routes on third down short of the 1st down marker.. I guess that's Quinns fault???? He needs to be back to # 4 until he learns how to run a route.. MoMass and Robiskie's development is being stunted due to his being on the field.. Stick with returns..

    Quinn looked a bit lost.. But when you have defensive lineman buzzing by you every time you drop back.. I cannot really fault him.. I hope that all the blitzes he is seeing will help him as he develops.... I expect him to struggle ..he is still learning a new offense and getting used to the nfl. ... I am willing to ride it out with him as we HAVE to see what we have.. This team is not going anywhere this year anyway ..so we MUST let this run it's course. I expect him to improve as the season goes on.. If he doesn't..well at least we know were we stand.

    Defense.. Where do I begin??? I beg every year for us to draft defensive linemen in the top end of the draft.. How long has it been??? We had a chance to draft Ngata, but Phil traded, so Baltimore could get him... I checked on this...we have drafted JUST ONE... ..count it... JUST ONE defensive lineman since 1991 in the top 3.. That's just wrong.. when you play in our division????

    We still cannot stop the run or put pressure on the QB unless we bail out completly with the blitz... and yet...We had Zero sacks today.. Zero.. Orton was back there eating sandwiches waiting for his recievers to come open. You cannot expect DB's to cover wr's for 6 seconds.. that's just crazy. Denver converted 8 of 15 on 3rd down conversions.. over half.. that's just terrible

    I was disgusted today.. to say the least. turnovers, stupid penalties.. WOW..what a mess. We looked better last week. Very dissapointed

  • Great thread, guys. I totally agree that the problems are much bigger than the QB but that being said, Quinn was not good. It's too early to pull the plug but it isn't too early to say that he is not showing us very much so far.

    But it's hard to evaluate a rookie starter when we have such obvious holes at RT and RB right now, not to mention WR and TE.

    I am officially declaring open season on Jamal Lewis. I drank the KoolAid to start the season but I'm going back to what I said at the end of last year: he needs to become our Bus, short yardage specialist and veteran presence. Enough with the stuttering fool already.

    Shouldn't Mangini have known better than to hire a rookie OC? Daboll looks like Chud, Part Deux, so far. Maybe Notre Dame and the Browns could work out a trade? They send us Weis (he does know how to run an offense, I'll give him that) and we send them cash, everyone wins.

    ANYWAY...the offensive "gameplan" is hideous. Atrocious. Awful.

    Coupled with the lack of talent at key positions and the raw starters at C and QB, it's a mes. Oh, and what happened to Furrey anyway?

    The good news: I actually really like the D. They can't get off the field and Rogers is getting game-planned like hell, but there's some action and I like the energy. They are NOT the problem despite their deficiencies.

  • As a former poster just pointed out to me in an email - I'd take Maurice Carthon back in an instant over this shit playcalling we have. And I'd absolutely take Weis also. This is Chud part 2

    We also need a DB coach. That works with the LB's once a week (at least).

  • "The problem isn't Quinn or DA folks....."

    The problem is Mangini. I joined this forum when the house was essentially cleaned because I thought (and still do think) that this team has some real talent on it. I began to post fairly regularly and lurk because I simply like the team.

    But I immediately lost interest yet again when Mangini was named the coach. The players clearly aren't buying into his game (not surprising) and you'd think they were playing right now without a head coach (which essentially they are given this guy's attitude and distance).

    I remember months ago most people here (myself included) were hoping for McDaniels, and many jumped off the McDaniels bandwagon following the Cutler fiasco and felt Mangini was the better hire. But I think it's telling that a guy can go to Denver, trade away their star quarterback, load up of defensive has beens, and still out-coach Manidiot.

  • Yeah, don't agree at all. Mangini wasn't outcoached tonight, he was out talented.

    Let me ask a serious, no B.S. question of the board:

    If we have Elvis Dumervil coming off the edge, do we win this game?

    I honestly think that the difference in talent between the two teams was just that close.