Skip to content

Browns add 7th round pick

The Browns Board
29 10 946
  • @flugel said:

    Not bad Gumbs; but if the Browns boycott OL - they're prolly asking for trouble.    I liked your mindset in the other thread of Payton Wilson at #54 and Kiran's Amega-Tackle at #85.  That seems more like a football wood factor going from balsa to sequoia.  

    I like the wood scale .... and it's true.   Like the bat scale from whiffle ball bat to the Louisville Slugger.

    You need to  "fill those pants up" .... from Jim Tressel when he was at YSU.   And when he got those pants filled up they won 4 of 6 NC tries.  It does start up front.

    @mjp28 said:

    I like the wood scale .... and it's true.   Like the bat scale from whiffle ball bat to the Louisville Slugger.

    You need to  "fill those pants up" .... from Jim Tressel when he was at YSU.   And when he got those pants filled up they won 4 of 6 NC tries.  It does start up front.

    ? Exactly!

  • @flugel said:

    Not bad Gumbs; but if the Browns boycott OL - they're prolly asking for trouble.    I liked your mindset in the other thread of Payton Wilson at #54 and Kiran's Amega-Tackle at #85.  That seems more like a football wood factor going from balsa to sequoia.  

    I like the wood scale .... and it's true.   Like the bat scale from whiffle ball bat to the Louisville Slugger.

    You need to  "fill those pants up" .... from Jim Tressel when he was at YSU.   And when he got those pants filled up they won 4 of 6 NC tries.  It does start up front.

    @mjp28 said:

    I like the wood scale .... and it's true.   Like the bat scale from whiffle ball bat to the Louisville Slugger.

    You need to  "fill those pants up" .... from Jim Tressel when he was at YSU.   And when he got those pants filled up they won 4 of 6 NC tries.  It does start up front.

    I don't see how we don't draft a O lineman this year.  Maybe 2.  Both Teller and Bitonio are somewhat questionable moving forward after this season.

    Much is made of LT's, but IMO the most important part of a O line is the middle 3 in passpro.  As long as the QB has that wall in front of him, allowing a step or two forward, as long as whoever is playing at tackle protects against inside rush, that step or so forward destroys the DE's angles and puts him right in to the tackles angle allowing him to just get in the way and ride the DE outside.  

    I think if you asked any QB, they would rather have a clean middle.  A rush up the middle puts them in that "deer in a headlight" position. That's the panic position for a QB.

  • So we trade away an OL and then we drop one in favor of a DE. Any bets on which OL we take 1st in the draft? I'm having to revise my DL take back to the inevitable OL, unless of course it's Ainias Smith.?

  • So we trade away an OL and then we drop one in favor of a DE. Any bets on which OL we take 1st in the draft? I'm having to revise my DL take back to the inevitable OL, unless of course it's Ainias Smith.?

    @texasag1969 said:

    So we trade away an OL and then we drop one in favor of a DE. Any bets on which OL we take 1st in the draft? I'm having to revise my DL take back to the inevitable OL, unless of course it's Ainias Smith.?

    I have no idea.  I won't have much of an idea until we are maybe 5 picks away from our selection.  The variables are too numerous to have any sort of accuracy other than lucky guess.  Throw a dart at any name of guards and you stand just  as good a chance.

  • So we trade away an OL and then we drop one in favor of a DE. Any bets on which OL we take 1st in the draft? I'm having to revise my DL take back to the inevitable OL, unless of course it's Ainias Smith.?

    @texasag1969 said:

    So we trade away an OL and then we drop one in favor of a DE. Any bets on which OL we take 1st in the draft? I'm having to revise my DL take back to the inevitable OL, unless of course it's Ainias Smith.?

    ? I thought Cal hi-jacked your pc for a second.  I miss that guy; but skydiving with 2 bad knees can cause brain damage especially if you forget the parachute... 

    Like I said in the thread "Who Are The Browns Going to Pick at #54?"  LT Kiran Amegadjie - Yale, 6-5 321lbs 37 inch arms  - 2 time All Ivy League 1st Team Selection.  Strong, fast, fierce and agile.  Led his team to 2 Ivy League Championships.  In 2015, the Bucs drafted Division 3 OG Ali Marpet out of Hobart in the 61st slot overall and he eventually made the Pro Bowl.  1 Mock Draft in Athlon Sports Draft Mag has the KC Chiefs drafting Amegadjie at #63 overall to protect the blindside of Mahomes.  Right now LT is a glaring weakness on the blindside of QB the Browns have invested a lot of money in.  LTs go fast in the draft so it might be very well worth the reach.  

  • @texasag1969 said:

    So we trade away an OL and then we drop one in favor of a DE. Any bets on which OL we take 1st in the draft? I'm having to revise my DL take back to the inevitable OL, unless of course it's Ainias Smith.?

    ? I thought Cal hi-jacked your pc for a second.  I miss that guy; but skydiving with 2 bad knees can cause brain damage especially if you forget the parachute... 

    Like I said in the thread "Who Are The Browns Going to Pick at #54?"  LT Kiran Amegadjie - Yale, 6-5 321lbs 37 inch arms  - 2 time All Ivy League 1st Team Selection.  Strong, fast, fierce and agile.  Led his team to 2 Ivy League Championships.  In 2015, the Bucs drafted Division 3 OG Ali Marpet out of Hobart in the 61st slot overall and he eventually made the Pro Bowl.  1 Mock Draft in Athlon Sports Draft Mag has the KC Chiefs drafting Amegadjie at #63 overall to protect the blindside of Mahomes.  Right now LT is a glaring weakness on the blindside of QB the Browns have invested a lot of money in.  LTs go fast in the draft so it might be very well worth the reach.  

    @flugel said:

    Led his team to 2 Ivy League Championships.

    Wait.  The LT led the team to championships?  We gotta get this guy!  🙂  

  • @flugel said:

    Led his team to 2 Ivy League Championships.

    Wait.  The LT led the team to championships?  We gotta get this guy!  🙂  

    @orion said:

    Wait.  The LT led the team to championships?  We gotta get this guy!  🙂  

    What me?  Unleash a bunch of blowhard with my excitement about a prospect? ? 

    Okay, but it's not uncommon for a best player on a team to be a team leader or voted a team captain by his teammates. Lindy's Draft Magazine says Amegadjie has been a cornerstone of the Yale football program since his freshman year. Amegadjie led an offensive line that went to the Ivy League Championship twice, winning both.

    Here's a short excerpt from Athlon Sports NFL Draft: Amegadjie finished his outstanding Yale career this fall, helping Yale win an Ivy League title for the second straight season. He earned third team All-America honors from Stats Perform, was a first team All-Ivy selection for the second straight season and was named the Ivy League's offensive lineman of the year by analyst Phil Steele.
     

  • ...truth be told, I view 7th rounders as glorified free agents.  But they're free agents that have to come to your team.  -  A week and a half 'til we're on the clock!

  • ...truth be told, I view 7th rounders as glorified free agents.  But they're free agents that have to come to your team.  -  A week and a half 'til we're on the clock!

    @orion said:

    ...truth be told, I view 7th rounders as glorified free agents.  But they're free agents that have to come to your team.  -  A week and a half 'til we're on the clock!

    Well said.  If we're ever gonna waste another draft pick on a kicker - I'd rather have it done here (especially if we have more than one 7th round pick).   The 3 we drafted never survived their 1st contract in Cleveland.  Having said that, the Browns brought the last one back just in case we lose our starting kicker to a severe hamstring pull again.  

    A couple years ago, I was flipping back and forth between the 2 networks covering the draft in the final hour. One of the networks was saying when you get to the 7th round - it's almost better for the player if they end up being an undrafted free agent.   This way the player has a chance to pick a best fit situation his skillsets among teams interested.  Makes sense.  On the other hand, many kids dream about getting drafted.  How about a Brock Purdy being the last pick of the draft 2 years ago?

  • ...truth be told, I view 7th rounders as glorified free agents.  But they're free agents that have to come to your team.  -  A week and a half 'til we're on the clock!

    @orion said:

    ...truth be told, I view 7th rounders as glorified free agents.  But they're free agents that have to come to your team.  -  A week and a half 'til we're on the clock!

    @orion said:

    ...truth be told, I view 7th rounders as glorified free agents.  But they're free agents that have to come to your team.  -  A week and a half 'til we're on the clock!

    I agree, as I said here:

    "In a way I like 7th rounders.  I see it as a way to get a jump on the undrafted guys....if that makes any sense."

    All teams like several players on who they don't necessarily think they need to use a draft pick.  Adding a pick or two in the 7th and picking them in the 7th guarantees you get at least 1-2 of them.

    Most of those players are viewed as special team candidates, at least for the early portion of their career and or smaller school players who show promise but didn't play against top competition.

  • @orion said:

    ...truth be told, I view 7th rounders as glorified free agents.  But they're free agents that have to come to your team.  -  A week and a half 'til we're on the clock!

    @orion said:

    ...truth be told, I view 7th rounders as glorified free agents.  But they're free agents that have to come to your team.  -  A week and a half 'til we're on the clock!

    I agree, as I said here:

    "In a way I like 7th rounders.  I see it as a way to get a jump on the undrafted guys....if that makes any sense."

    All teams like several players on who they don't necessarily think they need to use a draft pick.  Adding a pick or two in the 7th and picking them in the 7th guarantees you get at least 1-2 of them.

    Most of those players are viewed as special team candidates, at least for the early portion of their career and or smaller school players who show promise but didn't play against top competition.

    @ballpeen said:

    I agree, as I said here:

    "In a way I like 7th rounders.  I see it as a way to get a jump on the undrafted guys....if that makes any sense."

    All teams like several players on who they don't necessarily think they need to use a draft pick.  Adding a pick or two in the 7th and picking them in the 7th guarantees you get at least 1-2 of them.

    Most of those players are viewed as special team candidates, at least for the early portion of their career and or smaller school players who show promise but didn't play against top competition.

    For example, NE drafted Kent State QB Julian Edelman in round 7 who began returning punts/kickoffs before he emerged as a Pro Bowl WR.  Prior to that, Cleveland signed another former Kent State QB Josh Cribbs as an undrafted free agent who excelled as a Kickoff/Punt Return Specialist.  He also played WR and some QB in the WildDawg. He made 3 Pro Bowls and earned a 1st Team All Pro honor.  He was also recognized as a member of The NFL's All-Decade Team for the 2000s.

    I wouldn't mind an equivalent find this year...

  • On the Draft Value Chart, our 7th round pick #127 is worth 1.4 points.  And pick 243 is worth 1 point.  The #1 overall is 3000 points.  In order to move to the top of the 6th round we'd have to trade about 20 seventh round picks.  🙂   I guess we could say that the math doesn't work at the quantum level. 

  • Sorry if I’m parroting something that was  previously posted, but the only thing that causes me any reservation about trading Watson lV to the Titans is it makes me wonder what Bill Callahan sees in him. Nobody recognizes OL talent any better. 

  • @ballpeen said:

    I agree, as I said here:

    "In a way I like 7th rounders.  I see it as a way to get a jump on the undrafted guys....if that makes any sense."

    All teams like several players on who they don't necessarily think they need to use a draft pick.  Adding a pick or two in the 7th and picking them in the 7th guarantees you get at least 1-2 of them.

    Most of those players are viewed as special team candidates, at least for the early portion of their career and or smaller school players who show promise but didn't play against top competition.

    For example, NE drafted Kent State QB Julian Edelman in round 7 who began returning punts/kickoffs before he emerged as a Pro Bowl WR.  Prior to that, Cleveland signed another former Kent State QB Josh Cribbs as an undrafted free agent who excelled as a Kickoff/Punt Return Specialist.  He also played WR and some QB in the WildDawg. He made 3 Pro Bowls and earned a 1st Team All Pro honor.  He was also recognized as a member of The NFL's All-Decade Team for the 2000s.

    I wouldn't mind an equivalent find this year...

    @flugel said:

    For example, NE drafted Kent State QB Julian Edelman in round 7 who began returning punts/kickoffs before he emerged as a Pro Bowl WR.  Prior to that, Cleveland signed another former Kent State QB Josh Cribbs as an undrafted free agent who excelled as a Kickoff/Punt Return Specialist.  He also played WR and some QB in the WildDawg. He made 3 Pro Bowls and earned a 1st Team All Pro honor.  He was also recognized as a member of The NFL's All-Decade Team for the 2000s.

    I wouldn't mind an equivalent find this year...

    Exactly, Purdy could be another.  They don't even need to be that good.  There are dozens of UDFA who ended up solid players. Once they get there, the Browns have to "bid" to get them, and the player needs to make a choice between several offers.  Lot's of factors go in to that decision.  Money, opportunity, and location being the main factors, and not necessarily in that order.

  • Wasn't Antonio Gates another free agent out of Kent State? 

  • A home grown WR, w/5th browns team meeting, might fall under using a 7th round pick.

    Tipton was invited to participate at Toledo University's Pro Day, where he raised the eyebrows of dozens of scouts. Tipton was able to participate in front of nearly 60 NFL scouts thanks to Toledo cornerback and projected first-round pick Quinyon Mitchell, who drew an enormous crowd to get one final look at him before the draft.

    Yale wide receiver Mason Tipton had some interest from a handful of NFL teams throughout the pre-draft process. However, following his 4.32 40-yard dash time at his Pro Day, Tipton seemingly forced about 20 more teams to take a look. Tipton is no stranger to the spotlight. He grew up in Akron, Ohio, where he attended Archbishop Hoban High School.

    https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/longformarticle/cleveland-browns-nfl-draft-mason-tipton-230531025/#2407945

  • Wasn't Antonio Gates another free agent out of Kent State? 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Wasn't Antonio Gates another free agent out of Kent State? 

    Yes; and he never even played football there.  James Harrison was also an undrafted free agent from Kent State. That said, Harrison got cut numerous times before he found the right blend of secret potions.  

  • A home grown WR, w/5th browns team meeting, might fall under using a 7th round pick.

    Tipton was invited to participate at Toledo University's Pro Day, where he raised the eyebrows of dozens of scouts. Tipton was able to participate in front of nearly 60 NFL scouts thanks to Toledo cornerback and projected first-round pick Quinyon Mitchell, who drew an enormous crowd to get one final look at him before the draft.

    Yale wide receiver Mason Tipton had some interest from a handful of NFL teams throughout the pre-draft process. However, following his 4.32 40-yard dash time at his Pro Day, Tipton seemingly forced about 20 more teams to take a look. Tipton is no stranger to the spotlight. He grew up in Akron, Ohio, where he attended Archbishop Hoban High School.

    https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/longformarticle/cleveland-browns-nfl-draft-mason-tipton-230531025/#2407945

    @gumby73 said:

    A home grown WR, w/5th browns team meeting, might fall under using a 7th round pick.

    Tipton was invited to participate at Toledo University's Pro Day, where he raised the eyebrows of dozens of scouts. Tipton was able to participate in front of nearly 60 NFL scouts thanks to Toledo cornerback and projected first-round pick Quinyon Mitchell, who drew an enormous crowd to get one final look at him before the draft.

    Yale wide receiver Mason Tipton had some interest from a handful of NFL teams throughout the pre-draft process. However, following his 4.32 40-yard dash time at his Pro Day, Tipton seemingly forced about 20 more teams to take a look. Tipton is no stranger to the spotlight. He grew up in Akron, Ohio, where he attended Archbishop Hoban High School.

    https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/longformarticle/cleveland-browns-nfl-draft-mason-tipton-230531025/#2407945

    Could you imagine if we drafted 2 kids from Yale in the same draft?

  • @flugel said:

    For example, NE drafted Kent State QB Julian Edelman in round 7 who began returning punts/kickoffs before he emerged as a Pro Bowl WR.  Prior to that, Cleveland signed another former Kent State QB Josh Cribbs as an undrafted free agent who excelled as a Kickoff/Punt Return Specialist.  He also played WR and some QB in the WildDawg. He made 3 Pro Bowls and earned a 1st Team All Pro honor.  He was also recognized as a member of The NFL's All-Decade Team for the 2000s.

    I wouldn't mind an equivalent find this year...

    Exactly, Purdy could be another.  They don't even need to be that good.  There are dozens of UDFA who ended up solid players. Once they get there, the Browns have to "bid" to get them, and the player needs to make a choice between several offers.  Lot's of factors go in to that decision.  Money, opportunity, and location being the main factors, and not necessarily in that order.

    @ballpeen said:

    Exactly, Purdy could be another.  They don't even need to be that good.  There are dozens of UDFA who ended up solid players. Once they get there, the Browns have to "bid" to get them, and the player needs to make a choice between several offers.  Lot's of factors go in to that decision.  Money, opportunity, and location being the main factors, and not necessarily in that order.

    I hear ya!  Let's hope some of these young men are thinking Clevelandofopportunity.  

  • Wasn't Antonio Gates another free agent out of Kent State? 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Wasn't Antonio Gates another free agent out of Kent State? 

    Yes, and London Fletcher from John Carrol was also a free agent.