Skip to content

▪︎ Cleveland Browns honor past success with white facemasks ?

The Browns Board
24 9 761 1
  • @flugel said:

    He had some good records in Cleveland when he played. Fans seemed to like him. After 1968 you could see the drop-off in his TD/INT ratio.  Here's his record each season played & TDs/INTs:

    1968: 11-2 & 19 TDs 10 INTs

    1969: 10-3-1 & 23 TDs 19 INTs Pro Bowl

    1970: 6-6 & 16 TDs 16 INTs

    1971: 9-4 & 13 TDs 23 INTs

    1972: 0-1 & 0 TDs 3 INTs

    Pretty damn good numbers until Skorich took over but like I said.. By that time like Namath.. His knees went to hell.. Then we made one of the dumbest trades ever sending Paul Warfield to Miami for the right to draft Mike Phipps.. I'll never forget how pissed my old man was when we made that deal.. But my fathers hatred of Modell stemmed from firing Paul Brown. I did get to see Bill Nelson once at a signing once at the now defunct Richmond Mall.. My stepbrother and I ran into Ozzie Newsome quite a lot. He lived down the street from us in East Cleveland. Browns players were often seen like regular joes in the community back then. How time sure has changed things is mind bending.

    @nickers said:

    Pretty damn good numbers until Skorich took over but like I said.. By that time like Namath.. His knees went to hell.. Then we made one of the dumbest trades ever sending Paul Warfield to Miami for the right to draft Mike Phipps.. I'll never forget how pissed my old man was when we made that deal.. But my fathers hatred of Modell stemmed from firing Paul Brown. I did get to see Bill Nelson once at a signing once at the now defunct Richmond Mall.. My stepbrother and I ran into Ozzie Newsome quite a lot. He lived down the street from us in East Cleveland. Browns players were often seen like regular joes in the community back then. How time sure has changed things is mind bending.

    In 68, I was only 4 years old. Any 1st impressions I had of Bill Nelsen thru 1972 were from whatever my dad saw and said.  I got the sense he liked Bill Nelsen and appreciated him trying to play despite the 2 bad knees.  

  • @nickers said:

    Pretty damn good numbers until Skorich took over but like I said.. By that time like Namath.. His knees went to hell.. Then we made one of the dumbest trades ever sending Paul Warfield to Miami for the right to draft Mike Phipps.. I'll never forget how pissed my old man was when we made that deal.. But my fathers hatred of Modell stemmed from firing Paul Brown. I did get to see Bill Nelson once at a signing once at the now defunct Richmond Mall.. My stepbrother and I ran into Ozzie Newsome quite a lot. He lived down the street from us in East Cleveland. Browns players were often seen like regular joes in the community back then. How time sure has changed things is mind bending.

    In 68, I was only 4 years old. Any 1st impressions I had of Bill Nelsen thru 1972 were from whatever my dad saw and said.  I got the sense he liked Bill Nelsen and appreciated him trying to play despite the 2 bad knees.  

    @flugel said:

    In 68, I was only 4 years old. Any 1st impressions I had of Bill Nelsen thru 1972 were from whatever my dad saw and said.  I got the sense he liked Bill Nelsen and appreciated him trying to play despite the 2 bad knees.  

    That's pretty much how it was for me.. My Dad had a lot of great stories and facts we loved as kids.. We enjoyed personalities like Jim Otto, Art Donovan and other players around the league that made the league great.. And fun.... I see that lost on the league today. Even if you weren't a fan of their team.. You loved and rooted for guys like Alex Karras, Roman Gabriel, Billy "White Shoes" Johnson. Kenny Stabler and over acheivers like Fred Biletnikoff and Steve Largent and even Danny Abramovitz who overcame the odds..

  • I saw where Roman just passed away.

    R.I.P. Roman.

  • RIP Roman Gabriel as he set the tone over for Asian-Americans for being athletes. Thoughts and prayers for his family and loved ones.

  • RIP Roman... Your Burger King commercials were hilarious back in the day...

  • I saw where Roman just passed away.

    R.I.P. Roman.

    @ballpeen said:

    I saw where Roman just passed away.

    R.I.P. Roman.

    Oh yes,  one of the older QB legends we liked back in the day.   RIP Roman.

  • Oh!  Roman Gabriel passed?  God Speed Roman Gabriel.  You were one of my favorites back in the day!

  • Third Helmet possibility?  

    Brown_with_two_orange_one_white.0.jpg

  • Third Helmet possibility?  

    Brown_with_two_orange_one_white.0.jpg

    @orion said:

    Third Helmet possibility?  

    Brown_with_two_orange_one_white.0.jpg

    For the love of everything holy, I hope not. 

  • Third Helmet possibility?  

    Brown_with_two_orange_one_white.0.jpg

    @orion said:

    Third Helmet possibility?  

    Brown_with_two_orange_one_white.0.jpg

    APRIL FOOLS WAS OVER 3 WEEKS AGO

  • sydS syd

    @orion said:

    Third Helmet possibility?  

    Brown_with_two_orange_one_white.0.jpg

    APRIL FOOLS WAS OVER 3 WEEKS AGO

    @syd said:

    APRIL FOOLS WAS OVER 3 WEEKS AGO

    https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2024/4/25/24134303/browns-helmet-third-option-logo-colors

    .....actually, I don't mind it as a 3rd hat.

    ----------

    I'm off to band rehearsal.  Enjoy round 1.

  • @syd said:

    APRIL FOOLS WAS OVER 3 WEEKS AGO

    https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2024/4/25/24134303/browns-helmet-third-option-logo-colors

    .....actually, I don't mind it as a 3rd hat.

    ----------

    I'm off to band rehearsal.  Enjoy round 1.

    @orion said:

    https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2024/4/25/24134303/browns-helmet-third-option-logo-colors

    .....actually, I don't mind it as a 3rd hat.

    ----------

    I'm off to band rehearsal.  Enjoy round 1.

    it's ugly as sin. Are the haslems just trying to piss us off ?