Skip to content

Steinbach to RT

The Browns Board
33 21 3.1k
  • Just responding to your critique of my idea is all 'peen. 😉 (I'd mentioned in my OP the point that we'd be giving up the prototypical right side size.)

    I like your idea too, but am concerned with the post in this thread that mentions not fixing what ain't broke at LT.

    @greythan said:

    Just responding to your critique of my idea is all 'peen. 😉 (I'd mentioned in my OP the point that we'd be giving up the prototypical right side size.)

    I like your idea too, but am concerned with the post in this thread that mentions not fixing what ain't broke at LT.

    I usually agree about don't fix what isn't broke.....but you have to look at how it would all balance out...Joe would be way better than anyone we could put at RT..I guess it just depends on where Steinbach could be the best. Where Steinbach could play the best is the best possible fix we could come up with...at least as I see it.

    For my money, he would probably be better in the LT slot over RT.

    Again...JMO

  • The run blocking will suck since he is about 40 lbs light for the position, but improving something is worth a try.

    This implies the run blocking to the right is good now.

    I haven't checked, but I'm sure we're near the bottom of the league in rushing so far this year.

    @greythan said:

    This implies the run blocking to the right is good now.

    I haven't checked, but I'm sure we're near the bottom of the league in rushing so far this year.

    That, IMHO, is a combination of two things-

    1) other than Thomas, the o-line isn't very good.

    2) Jamal Lewis is at the end of the line- he's not a feature back anymore, and should be used the way the Steelers utilized Jerome Bettis at the end of his career. BTW, right now I'm looking gold for that bet I made that JL won't run for 1,000 yards this year- I doubt he'll even get 750 unless the line drastically improves.

    Also the pass blocking leaves a lot to be desired- it was galling to watch Kyle Freaking Orton tear the Browns apart when he had all day to throw.

  • we should take and play the rookie P. Trautwein in place of the old fat ass.

    Height 6-6 Weight 308

  • Steinbach's best position in this offense is LT. He is to weak for guard, was physically pushed around quite abit.

    @restinpeace said:

    Steinbach's best position in this offense is LT. He is to weak for guard, was physically pushed around quite abit.

    I watched Steinbach play LT for the bungals and he sucked, big time

  • ONLY and I mean Only .. if hadnot can play.. Otherwise we put a tight end over there to help and go with things as are.

  • we should take and play the rookie P. Trautwein in place of the old fat ass.

    Height 6-6 Weight 308

    @earle said:

    we should take and play the rookie P. Trautwein in place of the old fat ass.

    Height 6-6 Weight 308

    I am good with that, and once he has it down, that may be the plan.

  • I love talking oline, but seriously, some of the ideas here are a little out there although I like the discussion.

    What you do is leave things as they are and insert Hadnot at RG when ready. Then you start giving St. Clair some help with the TE, which it would be nice if Heiden would get better. BTW, I kept reminding people all year of the injury he was coming back from and he was no guarantee.

    In no way am I sticking up for St. Clair, but he is not going to be going up against Dumervil every game. Dummy makes a lot of guys look bad, he is a stud. They need to build more continuity, that is the key. You start swapping guys all over the place and you will see it get ten times worse, trust me.

  • @greythan said:

    This implies the run blocking to the right is good now.

    I haven't checked, but I'm sure we're near the bottom of the league in rushing so far this year.

    That, IMHO, is a combination of two things-

    1) other than Thomas, the o-line isn't very good.

    2) Jamal Lewis is at the end of the line- he's not a feature back anymore, and should be used the way the Steelers utilized Jerome Bettis at the end of his career. BTW, right now I'm looking gold for that bet I made that JL won't run for 1,000 yards this year- I doubt he'll even get 750 unless the line drastically improves.

    Also the pass blocking leaves a lot to be desired- it was galling to watch Kyle Freaking Orton tear the Browns apart when he had all day to throw.

    @hoorta said:

    BTW, right now I'm looking gold for that bet I made that JL won't run for 1,000 yards this year- I doubt he'll even get 750 unless the line drastically improves.

    definitely disagree and am feeling mighty confident myself. except for this latest hammy injury Jamal has been convincing that he was still a safe bet. he can't do it all himself you know--you're lucky so far the right side of the o-line has sucked or you'd never make a statement like that about 750 yards.

    he's shown even more speed than last year and if he can get some blocks you'll definitely be regretting you even took that bet hoort. be honest with yourself, it's more about them than it is about Jamal.

    he doesn't have the ability to move the pile like Bettis or Kevin Mack did. Bettis had mass, i have no idea how Mack did it...different game then i guess. Lewis fights but doesn't get many yards after contact>>i think that role is a big mistake. he still has burst and is still being used properly IMO.

    glad you're still in it w/ me. 😉

  • In no way am I sticking up for St. Clair, but he is not going to be going up against Dumervil every game. Dummy makes a lot of guys look bad, he is a stud.

    No, but I think he was swapped to that side for this game...something a lot of team may do. Why have your best pass rusher go against Joe when you can match them up with a guy who is a 50% blocker?

    St.Clair is going to see the best every team has.

  • Also....good point on the TE...probably why Rucker is gone and we picked up the blocking TE from the Jags..St.Clair's problem stems from not having a big, quick drop step and his lateral mobility.

    Get a TE out there to take away the initial outside move by the DE will allow St.Clair to get set, at which point he has a chance..all he has to do is ride the guy out a bit and the qb can step up...assuming the front 3 set a nice wall in front of him.

    We may see more 2 TE sets before this is said and done....though that does bring the safety up.

  • Not getting Eugene Monroe at #5 is looking like a HUGE mistake right now.....

  • Hey since the Browns are trying Cribbs at receiver, why don't we put Corey Williams and Shaun Rogers on the right side of the O-Line? 😁

  • I love talking oline, but seriously, some of the ideas here are a little out there although I like the discussion.

    What you do is leave things as they are and insert Hadnot at RG when ready. Then you start giving St. Clair some help with the TE, which it would be nice if Heiden would get better. BTW, I kept reminding people all year of the injury he was coming back from and he was no guarantee.

    In no way am I sticking up for St. Clair, but he is not going to be going up against Dumervil every game. Dummy makes a lot of guys look bad, he is a stud. They need to build more continuity, that is the key. You start swapping guys all over the place and you will see it get ten times worse, trust me.

    @riffer-x said:

    I love talking oline, but seriously, some of the ideas here are a little out there although I like the discussion.

    What you do is leave things as they are and insert Hadnot at RG when ready. Then you start giving St. Clair some help with the TE, which it would be nice if Heiden would get better. BTW, I kept reminding people all year of the injury he was coming back from and he was no guarantee.

    In no way am I sticking up for St. Clair, but he is not going to be going up against Dumervil every game. Dummy makes a lot of guys look bad, he is a stud. They need to build more continuity, that is the key. You start swapping guys all over the place and you will see it get ten times worse, trust me.

    I was about to come in and say basically the same thing....and then there was your post.

    Last year, when Steiny was out a few games, you noticed JT struggle just a bit (not a lot, but a little). That is because he was having to cover for the LG position to avoid letting the inside pass rush get by.

    I am saying this because Hadnot is by far the batter guy at RG. When he comes back, the is going to solidify the middle of the OL, allowing whoever plays at RT to concentrate more on the outside first step.

    Also, the TE move is exaclty what Rif said it was. A reaction to the fact that ST.Clair was getting beat outside. We will line up a blocking TE on his shoulder for the initial chip....and if not needed, the TE will release into the flats.

    The one thing we talked about numerous times is the fact that the OL is a group of guys that have to work well TOGETHER. If you start fudging around with them all the time, they will never settle in and you will be worse off than you are now.

    Leave the left side alone....let Mack continue in his learning process...get Hadnot back in at RG...and let the TE assist with St.Claire until they gel (or always if St.Claire really can't cut it). Don't forget that Womack is also an experienced RT and may actually get moved out there after Hadnot returns.