Skip to content

■  ?  The Official 2024 NFL Draft  ✔️ Day 2 Thread <--  RIGHT HERE !

The Browns Board
58 12 1.6k
  • Schwartz gets another guy!

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @orion said:

    Schwartz gets another guy!

    So I guess the Browns felt all those OL injuries last year was an aberration.

  • My picks are in..

    Junior Colston

    Payton Wilson

     Troy Franklin

    Kingsley Suamataia

    Call it Berry

    Browns Pick #54  DT Michael Hall Jr  Buckeye

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @gumby73 said:

    Kingsley Suamataia

    Needs A LOT of work 

    Love me some Mikey Hall, love Buckeyes staying home.  I question the price paid at #54 for a rookie 3 tech with some previous health issues. 

  • @gumby73 said:

    Kingsley Suamataia

    Needs A LOT of work 

    Love me some Mikey Hall, love Buckeyes staying home.  I question the price paid at #54 for a rookie 3 tech with some previous health issues. 

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28
    #30

    @tiamat63 said:

    Needs A LOT of work 

    Love me some Mikey Hall, love Buckeyes staying home.  I question the price paid at #54 for a rookie 3 tech with some previous health issues. 

    I've got 2 TVs going,  DRAFT  &  Guardiajns going.

    If anyone is interested in an MLB update .....   Kwan led the game off with a solo HR  that was it.

    ATL 6 - 1  bottom 8.  The Braves pitching took over.   Top 9 now.

    Back to the  NFL DRAFT  folks.

    .....  edit add  ......   ATL 6  CLE 2,  final score.

  • @gumby73 said:

    Kingsley Suamataia

    Needs A LOT of work 

    Love me some Mikey Hall, love Buckeyes staying home.  I question the price paid at #54 for a rookie 3 tech with some previous health issues. 

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @tiamat63 said:

    Love me some Mikey Hall, love Buckeyes staying home.  I question the price paid at #54 for a rookie 3 tech with some previous health issues. 

    felt like a trade down to 60's from berry was coming..

    We dress 4 DT's... Ika may get pushed to PS/ weekly inactive again ?  Felt like Colston or Wilson could push Tony Fields.. They must be high on Mo Diabate too?   I'm cool with w/ Mike Hall jr pick.. thinking AB's mindset stuck w/ Best player on his board... Maybe some medicals & higher position depth just got over ruled ?  Jim Schwartz ain't over that Texans playoff game yet !

    15 picks to pick #85 

  • @orion said:

    Schwartz gets another guy!

    So I guess the Browns felt all those OL injuries last year was an aberration.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @texasag1969 said:

    So I guess the Browns felt all those OL injuries last year was an aberration.

    We'll see what happens in the upcoming #85 pick, but some days ago I said that I didn't think that this was the year that they would invest in an OT early.  I was thinking day 3 for a chance on a OT.  

  • @flugel said:

    I'd be shocked if he's not drafted within the next 21 selections.

    Yeah, it's a pipe dream.  Perhaps Sanders the TE that I wanted.

    edit - missed him by 2 pick slots.  🙁

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @orion said:

    Yeah, it's a pipe dream.  Perhaps Sanders the TE that I wanted.

    edit - missed him by 2 pick slots.  🙁

    I thought of you when he went just 2 spots before us.  Then we ended up wasting a 2nd round pick on a DT that only had 2 tackles for a loss and 1.5 sacks in 12 games in 2023 (with countless mismatches for carpe diem on the schedule).  He's a 3rd-4th round projection and his numbers reflect that.  

    I remember when we did some lists of guys we wanted in various rounds - we both listed Brenden Rice. Before I could add Michigan's Roman Wilson - Pittsburgh just drafted him.  There's still some other good WRs out there...

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #34

    Perfect pick for the Browns. I like the 0 sacks allows last season.

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #35

    Let's goooo

    Once he's back to 100% Zinter can be a staple at guard for years to come. 

    (I wonder if Corum and Wilson going right before affected that pick at all for us)

  • Perfect pick for the Browns. I like the 0 sacks allows last season.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #36

    @texasag1969 said:

    Perfect pick for the Browns. I like the 0 sacks allows last season.

    It's a good spot for a G pick.  But I saw that he was ranked 4th round.  We don't have a 4th rounder so I guess we'd just take him in the 3rd.  🙂  

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #37

    Guess I was slightly off on McKinnley Jackson going in the 4th. Made it in the comp picks late in the 3rd. I just hope he does not prove better than OSUs DT the Browns picked up since he went to Cincy after Hall. But we shall see.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Perfect pick for the Browns. I like the 0 sacks allows last season.

    It's a good spot for a G pick.  But I saw that he was ranked 4th round.  We don't have a 4th rounder so I guess we'd just take him in the 3rd.  🙂  

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #38

    @orion said:

    It's a good spot for a G pick.  But I saw that he was ranked 4th round.  We don't have a 4th rounder so I guess we'd just take him in the 3rd.  🙂  

    I don't like to bring fantasy in to reality, but with our draft position and lack of a 4th round pick, it can make sense to draft a round ahead of the other teams and get some of your targeted players.  No matter if Zinter had a 4th round grade, with no pick in the 4th you take him in the 3rd or wait and hope you get a 5th round target.  If any of you have played fantasy sports, you know what I am talking about.

    I think the team sees a potential need for an interior lineman next year and felt it had to get on this year.  If Zinter was the next highest graded player at that position, just take him and regroup tomorrow.  It's not like a lot of the players we draft from this point forward will even make the team.

  • Let's goooo

    Once he's back to 100% Zinter can be a staple at guard for years to come. 

    (I wonder if Corum and Wilson going right before affected that pick at all for us)

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by Dutch Oven
    #39

    @mld-woody said:

    Let's goooo

    Once he's back to 100% Zinter can be a staple at guard for years to come. 

    (I wonder if Corum and Wilson going right before affected that pick at all for us)

    I definitely could have seen Wilson with the Browns pick... Not as high on Corum personally. 

    Zinter is a solid pick for a team that doesn't need him to start in his rookie season. I never have a problem taking a Big Ten OLineman, especially from Ohio State, TTUN, Wisconsin, Iowa, etc... 

    Mike Hall is an interesting pick if you consider the selection of Ika the year before... definitely contrasting styles. 

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by Unsympathetic
    #40

    My guess is both of these picks were made with an eye on them starting on the 2025 lineup for cap reasons.

    Even if Teller is the "one" that goes, Bito isn't 25 any more either and will likely need his replacement shortly as well.

  • @orion said:

    It's a good spot for a G pick.  But I saw that he was ranked 4th round.  We don't have a 4th rounder so I guess we'd just take him in the 3rd.  🙂  

    I don't like to bring fantasy in to reality, but with our draft position and lack of a 4th round pick, it can make sense to draft a round ahead of the other teams and get some of your targeted players.  No matter if Zinter had a 4th round grade, with no pick in the 4th you take him in the 3rd or wait and hope you get a 5th round target.  If any of you have played fantasy sports, you know what I am talking about.

    I think the team sees a potential need for an interior lineman next year and felt it had to get on this year.  If Zinter was the next highest graded player at that position, just take him and regroup tomorrow.  It's not like a lot of the players we draft from this point forward will even make the team.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #41

    @ballpeen said:

    I think the team sees a potential need for an interior lineman next year and felt it had to get on this year.  If Zinter was the next highest graded player at that position, just take him and regroup tomorrow.  That's drafting for need, which flies in the face of BPA.

    It's not like a lot of the players we draft from this point forward will even make the team.

    I agree to a degree.  In the later rounds your drafting players that you think could help you.  Just like after the draft.  You've already got your ideas on who you'd like to sign once the draft ends and the remaining players become free agents.  

    I said back in February that, for a change, we're a BPA team.  We don't have a roster full of glaring needs right now.  Yes, I wanted to target a WR and a pass catching TE.  But that's because I'm acting as a fan...and not a GM.  With no 1st round pick we HAVE TO be successful with our 2nd & 3rd round picks...and to me that means NO REACHING.  Take the best darned player available.  (obviously we wouldn't pick a QB at that point in the draft)  You can target positions in the later rounds of the draft if ya want since basically many of those guys are just glorified free agents....but the obvious goal is to find the players of good value to add to your team.  As a season wears on and players get hurt, it's the teams that did a good job of acquiring those glorified free agents that continue to fill injury holes and keep on winning.

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #42

    Concerned about health for both our day 2 picks. 

    When he was on fire early, Mikey Hall was wrecking Notre Dame like Aaron Donald.  But he has missed some games. 

  • @ballpeen said:

    I think the team sees a potential need for an interior lineman next year and felt it had to get on this year.  If Zinter was the next highest graded player at that position, just take him and regroup tomorrow.  That's drafting for need, which flies in the face of BPA.

    It's not like a lot of the players we draft from this point forward will even make the team.

    I agree to a degree.  In the later rounds your drafting players that you think could help you.  Just like after the draft.  You've already got your ideas on who you'd like to sign once the draft ends and the remaining players become free agents.  

    I said back in February that, for a change, we're a BPA team.  We don't have a roster full of glaring needs right now.  Yes, I wanted to target a WR and a pass catching TE.  But that's because I'm acting as a fan...and not a GM.  With no 1st round pick we HAVE TO be successful with our 2nd & 3rd round picks...and to me that means NO REACHING.  Take the best darned player available.  (obviously we wouldn't pick a QB at that point in the draft)  You can target positions in the later rounds of the draft if ya want since basically many of those guys are just glorified free agents....but the obvious goal is to find the players of good value to add to your team.  As a season wears on and players get hurt, it's the teams that did a good job of acquiring those glorified free agents that continue to fill injury holes and keep on winning.

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
    #43

    @orion said:

    Just like after the draft.  You've already got your ideas on who you'd like to sign once the draft ends and the remaining players become free agents.  

    Just like many teams. We've got our 5-6 bottom of roster churners, that now may lose spots to new draftees. 

    Imagine the number of WR's & OL-men that will now get pushed down other teams rosters.. Teams built to win now GM's, might just take a pass on using any Day 3 picks due to new draft growth of both positions. Plucking PS's may have a higher grade of Day 3's?

    other draft interest,

    TE Harrison Bryant.. signs FA $ to Raiders.. Raiders move up to draft TE Brock Bowers  .. How ya feel'in today Harry ? 

    Jets slide down one draft slot #11.. Take 2nd rated T Olu Fashanu ..   Mekhi  'Bye Bye' Becton ?

    stay tuned.. more should fall down rosters .. Enjoy Day 3 gents !

  • @mld-woody said:

    Let's goooo

    Once he's back to 100% Zinter can be a staple at guard for years to come. 

    (I wonder if Corum and Wilson going right before affected that pick at all for us)

    I definitely could have seen Wilson with the Browns pick... Not as high on Corum personally. 

    Zinter is a solid pick for a team that doesn't need him to start in his rookie season. I never have a problem taking a Big Ten OLineman, especially from Ohio State, TTUN, Wisconsin, Iowa, etc... 

    Mike Hall is an interesting pick if you consider the selection of Ika the year before... definitely contrasting styles. 

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #44

    @dutch-oven said:

    Mike Hall is an interesting pick if you consider the selection of Ika the year before... definitely contrasting styles. 

    And my concern is that the last similar sized OSU DT we took has not panned out with anyone (Togiai). Is Hall any better or will he get runover regularly just like Tommy T?

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Mike Hall is an interesting pick if you consider the selection of Ika the year before... definitely contrasting styles. 

    And my concern is that the last similar sized OSU DT we took has not panned out with anyone (Togiai). Is Hall any better or will he get runover regularly just like Tommy T?

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #45

    @texasag1969 said:

    And my concern is that the last similar sized OSU DT we took has not panned out with anyone (Togiai). Is Hall any better or will he get runover regularly just like Tommy T?

    Hall is a far more athletic DTackle. 

    Togiai was a super strong fire hydrant of a DTackle whose ceiling tapped out in college football. 

    At worst, I think Hall is great depth guy inside. Obviously, you don't draft a guy in Round 2 to be just that, but I'd be surprised if he flamed out as quickly as TT did. 

  • Concerned about health for both our day 2 picks. 

    When he was on fire early, Mikey Hall was wrecking Notre Dame like Aaron Donald.  But he has missed some games. 

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #46

    @tiamat63 said:

    Concerned about health for both our day 2 picks. 

    When he was on fire early, Mikey Hall was wrecking Notre Dame like Aaron Donald.  But he has missed some games. 

    Man, Ohio State's depth at DLine was poop last year. That's right tia, I said poop.

    I saw something on a podcast recently where it was mentioned that Sawyer and JTT played every snap of the game vs Notre Dame on the edge. 

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by Unsympathetic
    #47

    Yes, they played every snap -- and not because the depth is poop.  Deep dive at tOSU incoming.. for whatever old-head reason, OSU doesn't rotate.  It's dumb for umpteen reasons... but they don't. Not at WR, not at DL, not at LB... you name the position.  Starter WR legs are dead by Michigan because they're out there running go routes late against Akron, that's why S Lathan Ransom got injured last season because he was playing late in a game they already had comfortably won, etc etc.

    And if you think OSU DT depth last season was not there... that's a fried take, their DT room as a whole was at worst the equal of UM who had the #1 DT room in the country, and likely/arguably was better.  Same is true in upcoming 2024 season and possibly better in 2024.

    And let's be clear: "Depth" doesn't magic a fr/so who isn't great into a starter.  The point of playing the young'uns is to decrease their role on that play or package to put them in positions to succeed within the decreased role so they get comfortable with the game.. so responsibilities can be expanded.  Some freshmen were great from the rip last season such as Jermaine Mathews and Malik Hartford.

    Tia, have you heard anything of the so-called "personality red flags" that are guessed to be why Hall fell?