Skip to content

Your First... And Last?

The Browns Board
32 13 2.0k 1
  • @dutch-oven said:

    It's the dead time of the Browns season... post-draft but months before training camp... thought it would be a good time for a quick questionnaire

    1. When was your first Browns game you attended in person? What do you remember from it?  October 10th 1976 was the 1st time I saw them play in Cleveland. The Browns beat Pittsburgh 18-16 on the day most remembered for Joe Turkey Jones body slamming Terry Bradshaw.  The thing I remember most was Jerry Sherk and Walter Johnson dominating he line of scrimmage. Meanwhile little known QB David Mays was the fill-in starter and winning QB for the Browns that day. We had Standing Room Only tickets and I don't think I'll ever beat that experience as outrageous as it sounds. The Browns were 1-3 heading into that game and that win turned their season around.  They finished 9-5.  As usual, that division was so competitive it was only good enough for 3rd place. 

    2. When was your last Browns game you attended in person? Any good/funny anecdotes from it? The last game I saw in Cleveland was with Zombo when the Browns got beat bad enough by Pittsburgh I forgot the score and year attended forever. 2 good memories:  Dennis Northcutt returned a punt for a TD and I think the Browns won the coin toss decisively. The strange thing was Cowher, once treated well by our fanbase as a player and throughout his 1st NFL Coaching experience, decided he wanted to run the score up.  It just seemed weird that the 1 franchise that gave him his 1st chance as a player and more as an assistant coach - he really wanted to do something like that.  I get needing to beat a rival but that thing was over fast.  1 other funny memory. Zombo complaining to Atenears about the line to get into Panini's (?) was way too long for the power squirt he was trying to hold hostage.  Atenears said "REAL Men don't wait in line." About 20 minutes later Zombo returned to the tailgate.  Stan asked where the Hell were you?  Zombo pulled out his ticket for following Stan's advice saying "I got your REAL MEN lecture right here."   The tailgate was fun.  As always, it was great to meet and see the people you post with.

    3. First favorite Browns player? Tie: Leroy Kelly and Jerry Sherk. Who was the Browns player you first really liked? Greg Pruitt. 

    4. Last (current) favorite Browns player not named Nick Chubb? ? Tie: Joel Bitonio on offense and Myles Garrett on defense. 

    5. First Browns jersey you owned? #34 Who was the player? Greg Pruitt.  Unfortunately, we didn't live in the Cleveland market.  We were 60 miles east of Buffalo; so getting jerseys began to get easier as I got older.

    6. Last Browns jersey you owned? Who? Heaven help me... It was a present from my wife, #2 - Johnny Manziel.  

    7. If you could go back in time and see any Browns game in person, what game would you go to?  Any/all of the 7 Pro Football Championships Otto Graham and his teammates won in his 10 year career.  If I had to narrow those down to 3 - it would be the 3 his teams won in the NFL.  I'd also like to see the one the Browns won with Jim Brown in 1964.

    8. If you could put any current NFL player on the Browns, THAT DOESN'T PLAY QUARTERBACK, who would it be? Baltimore Safety Kyle Hamilton at 6-4 221 lbs. All those years of Ed Reed wasn't enough?  Now we gotta deal with this guy?  

    @flugel said:

    6. Last Browns jersey you owned? Who? Heaven help me... It was a present from my wife, #2 - Johnny Manziel.  

    I would pay money - good money - to have seen the look on your face when you tore into the gift wrap and opened THAT box. ?

  • @dutch-oven said:

    It's the dead time of the Browns season... post-draft but months before training camp... thought it would be a good time for a quick questionnaire

    1. When was your first Browns game you attended in person? What do you remember from it?

    Browns 27 Cincy 6 1972. Browns recovered a fumble on the opening kickoff at the 5 yard line.Fans went nuts, I was hooked at age 9.

    2. When was your last Browns game you attended in person? Any good/funny anecdotes from it?

    Browns 31 Jax 27

    3. First favorite Browns player? Who was the Browns player you first really liked? 

    Jerry Sherk & Greg Pruitt

    4. Last (current) favorite Browns player not named Nick Chubb? ?

    Njoku

    5. First Browns jersey you owned? Who was the player?

    Sipe

    6. Last Browns jersey you owned? Who?

    Felix Wright

    7. If you could go back in time and see any Browns game in person, what game would you go to?

    Browns 26 Steelers 24 1972

    8. If you could put any current NFL player on the Browns, THAT DOESN'T PLAY QUARTERBACK, who would it be?

    Jamaar Chase or Maxx Crosby

    @bob806 said:

    6. Last Browns jersey you owned? Who?

    Felix Wright

    That is a great totally random player for your last jersey! He was an underrated player

  • Good thread Dutch !   I'll get caught up this week.   ?

  • @bob806 said:

    6. Last Browns jersey you owned? Who?

    Felix Wright

    That is a great totally random player for your last jersey! He was an underrated player

    @dutch-oven said:

    That is a great totally random player for your last jersey! He was an underrated player

    He was pretty clutch in a short career. A few pick 6s, & blocked punts. Totally under rated, I loved watching him make plays.

  • It's the dead time of the Browns season... post-draft but months before training camp... thought it would be a good time for a quick questionnaire

    1. When was your first Browns game you attended in person? What do you remember from it?

    2. When was your last Browns game you attended in person? Any good/funny anecdotes from it?

    3. First favorite Browns player? Who was the Browns player you first really liked? 

    4. Last (current) favorite Browns player not named Nick Chubb? ?

    5. First Browns jersey you owned? Who was the player?

    6. Last Browns jersey you owned? Who?

    7. If you could go back in time and see any Browns game in person, what game would you go to?

    8. If you could put any current NFL player on the Browns, THAT DOESN'T PLAY QUARTERBACK, who would it be?

    @dutch-oven said:

    It's the dead time of the Browns season... post-draft but months before training camp... thought it would be a good time for a quick questionnaire

    1. When was your first Browns game you attended in person? What do you remember from it?

    2. When was your last Browns game you attended in person? Any good/funny anecdotes from it?

    3. First favorite Browns player? Who was the Browns player you first really liked? 

    4. Last (current) favorite Browns player not named Nick Chubb? ?

    5. First Browns jersey you owned? Who was the player?

    6. Last Browns jersey you owned? Who?

    7. If you could go back in time and see any Browns game in person, what game would you go to?

    8. If you could put any current NFL player on the Browns, THAT DOESN'T PLAY QUARTERBACK, who would it be?

    1. During the Belichick years my aunt scored some Browns v. Broncos tickets in Cleveland and we up and backed it from Cincy. It was notably Kosar’s last game starting for the Browns. He was replaced by the green nut during the game, and as you can imagine it did’t go well for our guys.

    2. Technically this year, the last game in Cincy when some dude whose name l have forgotten started for us. Things also didn’t go well that game for us, but we were playoff bound and tickets were cheap. Still kinda cool seeing a Browns game in January. 

    3. I guess it would have been Kosar. 

    4. Dang, l haven’t decided yet. I sorta tabbed Taki squared as my guy the last few years so l gotta pick a new fave. Maybe Owusu-Koramoah?

    5. Some huge ass like triple XL Browns jersey ended up in my possession years ago, had 99 and “Browns” on the back. I maybe wore it once. It was a bit too big for me. 

    6. Nick Chubb!

    7. Maybe the game 2 Halloweens ago when we walloped the Bengals. I love it when we wallop the Bengals. 

    8. I’ll go Sauce Gardener. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    It's the dead time of the Browns season... post-draft but months before training camp... thought it would be a good time for a quick questionnaire

    1. When was your first Browns game you attended in person? What do you remember from it?

    2. When was your last Browns game you attended in person? Any good/funny anecdotes from it?

    3. First favorite Browns player? Who was the Browns player you first really liked? 

    4. Last (current) favorite Browns player not named Nick Chubb? ?

    5. First Browns jersey you owned? Who was the player?

    6. Last Browns jersey you owned? Who?

    7. If you could go back in time and see any Browns game in person, what game would you go to?

    8. If you could put any current NFL player on the Browns, THAT DOESN'T PLAY QUARTERBACK, who would it be?

    1. During the Belichick years my aunt scored some Browns v. Broncos tickets in Cleveland and we up and backed it from Cincy. It was notably Kosar’s last game starting for the Browns. He was replaced by the green nut during the game, and as you can imagine it did’t go well for our guys.

    2. Technically this year, the last game in Cincy when some dude whose name l have forgotten started for us. Things also didn’t go well that game for us, but we were playoff bound and tickets were cheap. Still kinda cool seeing a Browns game in January. 

    3. I guess it would have been Kosar. 

    4. Dang, l haven’t decided yet. I sorta tabbed Taki squared as my guy the last few years so l gotta pick a new fave. Maybe Owusu-Koramoah?

    5. Some huge ass like triple XL Browns jersey ended up in my possession years ago, had 99 and “Browns” on the back. I maybe wore it once. It was a bit too big for me. 

    6. Nick Chubb!

    7. Maybe the game 2 Halloweens ago when we walloped the Bengals. I love it when we wallop the Bengals. 

    8. I’ll go Sauce Gardener. 

    @ibleedbrown said:

    1. During the Belichick years my aunt scored some Browns v. Broncos tickets in Cleveland and we up and backed it from Cincy. It was notably Kosar’s last game starting for the Browns. He was replaced by the green nut during the game, and as you can imagine it did’t go well for our guys.

    That was the infamous "Bernie literally drew up a touchdown pass in the dirt" game. 

    I was 16 I think, and watched it from a sports bar that was located in part of the old BF Goodrich factory just south of downtown Akron.

    Then he was gone. 

  • @ibleedbrown said:

    1. During the Belichick years my aunt scored some Browns v. Broncos tickets in Cleveland and we up and backed it from Cincy. It was notably Kosar’s last game starting for the Browns. He was replaced by the green nut during the game, and as you can imagine it did’t go well for our guys.

    That was the infamous "Bernie literally drew up a touchdown pass in the dirt" game. 

    I was 16 I think, and watched it from a sports bar that was located in part of the old BF Goodrich factory just south of downtown Akron.

    Then he was gone. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    That was the infamous "Bernie literally drew up a touchdown pass in the dirt" game. 

    I was 16 I think, and watched it from a sports bar that was located in part of the old BF Goodrich factory just south of downtown Akron.

    Then he was gone. 

    This sparked two good memories: 

    1) My Mom marched into 5th grade basketball practice that Monday and told me the Browns cut Bernie. I cried in front of the entire team, I didn't care. The Browns were my world.

    2) Once I turned 10, my Dad would take me with him to the bar so we could watch the Browns on satellite. These days there are ALOT more Browns fans in Central Indiana. But 30 years ago, it felt like the nearest fans were in Dayton.

  • A AP1

    @dutch-oven said:

    That was the infamous "Bernie literally drew up a touchdown pass in the dirt" game. 

    I was 16 I think, and watched it from a sports bar that was located in part of the old BF Goodrich factory just south of downtown Akron.

    Then he was gone. 

    This sparked two good memories: 

    1) My Mom marched into 5th grade basketball practice that Monday and told me the Browns cut Bernie. I cried in front of the entire team, I didn't care. The Browns were my world.

    2) Once I turned 10, my Dad would take me with him to the bar so we could watch the Browns on satellite. These days there are ALOT more Browns fans in Central Indiana. But 30 years ago, it felt like the nearest fans were in Dayton.

    @ap1 said:

    This sparked two good memories: 

    1) My Mom marched into 5th grade basketball practice that Monday and told me the Browns cut Bernie. I cried in front of the entire team, I didn't care. The Browns were my world.

    2) Once I turned 10, my Dad would take me with him to the bar so we could watch the Browns on satellite. These days there are ALOT more Browns fans in Central Indiana. But 30 years ago, it felt like the nearest fans were in Dayton.

    Were your parents from NE Ohio originally? How did your family end up Browns fans? 

  • @ap1 said:

    This sparked two good memories: 

    1) My Mom marched into 5th grade basketball practice that Monday and told me the Browns cut Bernie. I cried in front of the entire team, I didn't care. The Browns were my world.

    2) Once I turned 10, my Dad would take me with him to the bar so we could watch the Browns on satellite. These days there are ALOT more Browns fans in Central Indiana. But 30 years ago, it felt like the nearest fans were in Dayton.

    Were your parents from NE Ohio originally? How did your family end up Browns fans? 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Were your parents from NE Ohio originally? How did your family end up Browns fans? 

    NW PA. 

    Fourth generation fan. My Great Grandpa worked on the railroad and he would take my Grandpa on the train to Cleveland to watch the AAFC Browns.

  • A AP1

    @dutch-oven said:

    Were your parents from NE Ohio originally? How did your family end up Browns fans? 

    NW PA. 

    Fourth generation fan. My Great Grandpa worked on the railroad and he would take my Grandpa on the train to Cleveland to watch the AAFC Browns.

    @ap1 said:

    NW PA. 

    Fourth generation fan. My Great Grandpa worked on the railroad and he would take my Grandpa on the train to Cleveland to watch the AAFC Browns.

    Oh yes, I remember talking to you about this before.

    I have friends who live in Erie and the Oil City/Franklin areas. 

  • @ap1 said:

    NW PA. 

    Fourth generation fan. My Great Grandpa worked on the railroad and he would take my Grandpa on the train to Cleveland to watch the AAFC Browns.

    Oh yes, I remember talking to you about this before.

    I have friends who live in Erie and the Oil City/Franklin areas. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Oh yes, I remember talking to you about this before.

    I have friends who live in Erie and the Oil City/Franklin areas. 

    There used to be multiple Browns Backers clubs in NW PA, Western NY and as far East as Syracuse (where Jim Browns and Ernie Davis both played college ball). I'm guessing there still is; but the Sunday Ticket lessens the need to leave one's home to watch them these days.  Just so people understand, NYC was about a 6 hour ride from Rochester, NY.  However, Cleveland was only about a 4-4.5 hour drive depending upon which side of Rochester one was travelling from. A couple other variables that recruited Rochester area attention/fans to the Browns were Otto Graham playing Pro Basketball for the Rochester Royals in 1946; and of course Jim Brown and Ernie Davis playing college football nearby in Syracuse.   Most of all, my dad was addicted to Paul Brown's football program so I didn't get all adorable fictional bedtime stories other kids got.  Oh no, I got Otto Graham one night, Jim Brown another, Gary Collins another, then Marion Motley and Lou The Toe, etc...

    You're probably thinking why couldn't Flugel's dad have been a Steelers' fan?  This place gets terrifying when his son thinks he knows what he's talking about in here...

  • These stories of everyone's first Browns games at old Cleveland Stadium is making me sentimental. It was beat up, smelled funny with chipped paint and rusty steel and held together with duct tape and Browns fan's tears, but I mean this sincerely when I say:

    If you are a Browns fan that never got to see a football game at Cleveland Stadium, you truly missed out. It was magnificent dump. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    It's the dead time of the Browns season... post-draft but months before training camp... thought it would be a good time for a quick questionnaire

    1. When was your first Browns game you attended in person? What do you remember from it? It was against the Saints in 1984, days after Rutigliano was fired. Shottenheimer's first NFL game as head coach. Lost 16-14, with Ozzie scoring both touchdowns. I remember the cat walks in the upper deck, how incredibly big Cleveland Stadium was, and how absolutely scary and bombed out Cleveland looked on the way to the Stadium in the 80s. 

    2. When was your last Browns game you attended in person? Any good/funny anecdotes from it? Against the Bears this last season. Windy, rainy game, Bears fan in front of us (with his Browns buddy) finished off a bottle of bourbon between them. He started talking mad shit when they jumped ahead, and we gave it to him so hard when the Browns pulled out the win. He looked like he wanted to cry. Good times. (Post script: Didn't realize until I got home how close we came to losing the game on the last play Hail Mary. The play happened right in front of us, but all the players blocked how close the one WR came to catching it)

    3. First favorite Browns player? Who was the Browns player you first really liked? I was born in 1975, so I kind of came in at the end of the Sipe years... really became a fan around the time I went to my first game, and I had two definite favorite players, one on offense, one on defense: Earnest Byner and Eddie "The Assassin" Johnson. 

    4. Last (current) favorite Browns player not named Nick Chubb? ? Joltin' Joel Bitonio! 

    5. First Browns jersey you owned? Who was the player? There's a photo somewhere of me dressed up as Brian Sipe for Halloween. It was one of those cheap knock-off jerseys you'd get at KMart back in the days before actual team jerseys were readily available. 

    6. Last Browns jersey you owned? Who? I received a Nick Chubb 1946-style white jersey for Jesus' birthday in 2022. It pairs well with my brown Nick Chubb jersey. 

    7. If you could go back in time and see any Browns game in person, what game would you go to? I think it would have to be the 1950 NFL Championship Game. Graham drives the Browns down the field to set up a Groza last minute winning field goal to make the Browns NFL champions in their first year in the league.

    8. If you could put any current NFL player on the Browns, THAT DOESN'T PLAY QUARTERBACK, who would it be? Man, I think Chris Jones or some other stud DTackle would be a great idea. Then again, Tyreek Hill would be awesome to pair up with Cooper. 

    @dutch-oven said:

     I remember the cat walks in the upper deck, how incredibly big Cleveland Stadium was, and how absolutely scary and bombed out Cleveland looked on the way to the Stadium in the 80s. 

    for me, the early 70's when we took the rapid transit (train) from Shaker Hts  to the Terminal Tower had the same dreary look 

    @bob806 said:

    He was pretty clutch in a short career. A few pick 6s, & blocked punts. Totally under rated, I loved watching him make plays.

    he was good! Felix Wright came to the Vikings for about a year in 1991, but the Browns had his best career year(s) 

    1. When was your first Browns game you attended in person? What do you remember from it? 

        Dec 14  1980 Met Stadium https://www.footballdb.com/games/boxscore/cleveland-browns-vs-minnesota-vikings-1980121403

       cold day, Browns with Sipe, Vikings with Kramer and what seemed to be a sure victory for the Browns and a playoff berth

       until  2min Tommy put together a drive that ended with Ahmad Rashads game winning TD catch from a tip .. 

    2. When was your last Browns game you attendeat d in person? Any good/funny anecdotes from it? 

         Dec 17 1989  CLE  Municipal  https://www.footballdb.com/games/boxscore/minnesota-vikings-vs-cleveland-browns-1989121705

        TD/OT winner by LB VanWaiters flip from holder on fake fieldgoal attempt in the dawgpound endzone -very cold and snowy weekend 

         friends from work and i drank the plane ride dry (probably just cut-off by NW Airlines)  on the friday arrival - too much snow in Cle and multiple circiling around

         Hopkins Int haha 

        then gameday my friends who had their horns and yellow braids vikes gear on almost got into some fights at the mens room  

    3. First favorite Browns player? Who was the Browns player you first really liked? 

       Bill Nelson  / Gary Collins /  Paul Warfield / Leroy Kelly  hard to pick just one

    4. Last (current) favorite Browns player not named Nick Chubb? ?

       current players are all kids - Im too old to have such favorites such when i was younger (like Zombo said) 

       but Id say oline guys like Bitonio or Teller, great in thier own right but the kind who arent in the spotlight

     5. First Browns jersey you owned? Who was the player?

         a gift by my son in law a few years back- asked me what browns jersey i'd want, and instead of going classic level players 

          I went with (eegads)  Kellen Winslow II

    6. Last Browns jersey you owned? Who?

        none- one mistake is enuf -  I have a 70's version brown orange wool beanie with an orange ball on the top,

        and a fitted baseball cap with the brownie emblem 

    7. If you could go back in time and see any Browns game in person, what game would you go to?

        1964 Championship

    8. If you could put any current NFL player on the Browns, THAT DOESN'T PLAY QUARTERBACK, who would it be?

          I dont know, anyone (BPA) who could contribute and not be a drama queen or lockerroom problem

  • Redhead

    Beach blonde 

  • Redhead

    Beach blonde 

    @tiamat63 said:

    Redhead

    Beach blonde 

    I'm embarrassed that it took me two times looking at your response before the lightbulb flickered on... ?

  • It's the dead time of the Browns season... post-draft but months before training camp... thought it would be a good time for a quick questionnaire

    1. When was your first Browns game you attended in person? What do you remember from it?

    2. When was your last Browns game you attended in person? Any good/funny anecdotes from it?

    3. First favorite Browns player? Who was the Browns player you first really liked? 

    4. Last (current) favorite Browns player not named Nick Chubb? ?

    5. First Browns jersey you owned? Who was the player?

    6. Last Browns jersey you owned? Who?

    7. If you could go back in time and see any Browns game in person, what game would you go to?

    8. If you could put any current NFL player on the Browns, THAT DOESN'T PLAY QUARTERBACK, who would it be?

    @dutch-oven said:

    It's the dead time of the Browns season... post-draft but months before training camp... thought it would be a good time for a quick questionnaire

    1. When was your first Browns game you attended in person? What do you remember from it?

    1989 - 23-17 OT loss to the Colts at the Hoosier Dome. I cried the whole drive home.

    2. When was your last Browns game you attended in person? Any good/funny anecdotes from it?

    2018 - Preseason Game against the Colts. The buzz around the game was Andrew Luck's return. One week later, word would break during the Colts' final pre-season game that Luck was retiring. Fans (understandably) flipped their shit. Then when Irsay let him keep his contract money, they really flipped shit.

    3. First favorite Browns player? Who was the Browns player you first really liked? 

    Bernie. BUT Steve Everitt really made an impression. My Dad never watched the games.  He'd get me amd my brother to our seats, give us a $20, and go wander the Hoosier/RCA Dome. On one of his adventures, he found some side doors, and hallways that eventually led to the family gathering areas after the game. Both teams, one area, and the exit doors led to the bus dock for the away team. We didn't interfere with the families, but Steve Everitt was just drafted and single. He was the first one out of the locker room. He'd have a Metallica or GNR t-shirt on and was very generous to us with his time after games, the three times we met and talked. He gave us a bandana after one of those games. It was the same type when he was fined for wearing the Browns bandana under his Ravens helmet.

    4. Last (current) favorite Browns player not named Nick Chubb? ?

    Joel Bitonio

    5. First Browns jersey you owned? Who was the player?

    Never had a jersey, but my Mom found a Starter brand Browns jacket at our local mall in the early 90s. It was like finding a unicorn. I wore that jacket out!

    6. Last Browns jersey you owned? Who?

    7. If you could go back in time and see any Browns game in person, what game would you go to?

    I'll give a few...1993 Steelers at home, Eric Metcalf returned the two punts for TDs, 1994 in Dallas, beating the defending Super Bowl Champs, the only Browns game I ever saw in Municipal Stadium, 1994 against the Oilers.

    8. If you could put any current NFL player on the Browns, THAT DOESN'T PLAY QUARTERBACK, who would it be?

    Trent Williams

  • Great story about meeting Steve Everitt @ap1!

    It always made me laugh when Braylon Edwards complained that the reason Browns fans didn't like him was because where he went to school, because of how liked Everitt was. I'll always have a soft spot in my Browns lovin' heart for him because of him wearing the Browns bandanna during the Ravens first season.