Skip to content

Off Topic But Fun: Favorite Football Movies

The Browns Board
64 15 2.4k 1
  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #2

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #3

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #4

  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by syd
    #5
    19801h 35mNot Rated
    6.9 (178)Rate
    TV Movie
     
    Football jock Rocky Bleier makes it all the way to the pros with the Pittsburgh Steelers, only to be drafted in the Vietnam War. Wounded by a hand grenade overseas, Bleier returns to the U.S., and told he will never walk again. However, after a lengthy, grueling rehabilitation, Bleier ultimately walks again. Soon, he trains with his old team for inspiration. Boss Art Rooney's sympathy and regard for Bleier pays off when Bleier improbably comes all the way back, ultimately playing for a Super Bowl Championship with the Steelers. But are all the good feelings and inspiration Bleier engenders enough to carry him to an NFL championship?
    DirectorRobert LiebermanStarsRobert UrichBonnie BedeliaRichard Herd
  • What's your top three favorite football movies? 

    I gotta go with Rudy (easily), Brian's Song and the original The Longest Yard, which barely edges out Remember the Titans.  

    sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #6

    @dutch-oven said:

    original The Longest Yard

    the re make sucked, I honestly can say i  hate adam sandler

  • sydS syd

    @dutch-oven said:

    original The Longest Yard

    the re make sucked, I honestly can say i  hate adam sandler

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @syd said:

    the re make sucked, I honestly can say i  hate adam sandler

    I saw it once and that was plenty. 

    For some reason the remake is on Showtime all the time, and I always scroll down to it hoping that it is the original. 

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #8

    Like Dutch, gotta go with Brian's Song.?

  • Like Dutch, gotta go with Brian's Song.?

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @texasag1969 said:

    Like Dutch, gotta go with Brian's Song.?

    A movie I would never watch with someone else. 

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #10

    The Replacements 

    Varsity Blues

    Any Given Sunday 

  • The Replacements 

    Varsity Blues

    Any Given Sunday 

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @tiamat63 said:

    The Replacements 

    Varsity Blues

    Any Given Sunday 

    I have to admit, I've never seen Any Given Sunday. 

    The Replacements is a quirky choice, Varsity Blues is a good one. 

  • @tiamat63 said:

    The Replacements 

    Varsity Blues

    Any Given Sunday 

    I have to admit, I've never seen Any Given Sunday. 

    The Replacements is a quirky choice, Varsity Blues is a good one. 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #12

    @dutch-oven said:

    I have to admit, I've never seen Any Given Sunday. 

    The Replacements is a quirky choice, Varsity Blues is a good one. 

    You know how there's "Walk off" Homeruns?   This could very well be "Laugh Flugel off" the board Dumb Ass cubed. "All the Right Moves" came out 1 year after I graduated from High School. Great cast - credible story in a blue collar town.  Before this I liked Brian's Song and The Paper Lion.  

  • @tiamat63 said:

    The Replacements 

    Varsity Blues

    Any Given Sunday 

    I have to admit, I've never seen Any Given Sunday. 

    The Replacements is a quirky choice, Varsity Blues is a good one. 

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @dutch-oven said:

    I have to admit, I've never seen Any Given Sunday. 

    One of the best monologues in sports movies.  

    @dutch-oven said:

    The Replacements 

    Heart.  Miles and Miles of heart. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I have to admit, I've never seen Any Given Sunday. 

    The Replacements is a quirky choice, Varsity Blues is a good one. 

    You know how there's "Walk off" Homeruns?   This could very well be "Laugh Flugel off" the board Dumb Ass cubed. "All the Right Moves" came out 1 year after I graduated from High School. Great cast - credible story in a blue collar town.  Before this I liked Brian's Song and The Paper Lion.  

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @flugel said:

    You know how there's "Walk off" Homeruns?   This could very well be "Laugh Flugel off" the board Dumb Ass cubed. "All the Right Moves" came out 1 year after I graduated from High School. Great cast - credible story in a blue collar town.  Before this I liked Brian's Song and The Paper Lion.  

    This is a really underrated movie! Good choice, you can almost smell the steel mills in this movie. 

    Damn, I might have to find if it is on a streaming service and watch it soon. For high school movies I liked this one far better than Friday Night Lights. 

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @dutch-oven said:

    ........  " I  LOVE YOU  BRIAN PICCOLO ".   Sniff, sniff .....

  • KvoetheK Kvoethe wrote on last edited by
    #16

    Comedy

    Replacements

    Wildcats

    Necessary roughness

    Serious or/true story

    Greater

    Facing the Giants

    Invincible 

  • A AP1 wrote on last edited by
    #17

    1. Rudy

    2. Remember the Titans

    3. Brian's Song

    Spoiler Alert: One of my college coaches, Tom Gullickson, played Guard on those ND Teams. He HATED Rudy, the man. Hated him. He called him a crybaby, a bitch and a tattletale. I take everything with a grain of salt, and it's come out that there were some embellishments for the silverscreen, but a great football movie nonetheless. 

    This scene was left on cutting room floor. I can't imagine why, it would have made the movie even better.

  • Comedy

    Replacements

    Wildcats

    Necessary roughness

    Serious or/true story

    Greater

    Facing the Giants

    Invincible 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @kvoethe said:

    Comedy

    Replacements

    Wildcats

    Necessary roughness

    Serious or/true story

    Greater

    Facing the Giants

    Invincible 

    Wildcats was funny and Invincible is a true story.  ?   

  • A AP1

    1. Rudy

    2. Remember the Titans

    3. Brian's Song

    Spoiler Alert: One of my college coaches, Tom Gullickson, played Guard on those ND Teams. He HATED Rudy, the man. Hated him. He called him a crybaby, a bitch and a tattletale. I take everything with a grain of salt, and it's come out that there were some embellishments for the silverscreen, but a great football movie nonetheless. 

    This scene was left on cutting room floor. I can't imagine why, it would have made the movie even better.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @ap1 said:

    1. Rudy

    2. Remember the Titans

    3. Brian's Song

    Spoiler Alert: One of my college coaches, Tom Gullickson, played Guard on those ND Teams. He HATED Rudy, the man. Hated him. He called him a crybaby, a bitch and a tattletale. I take everything with a grain of salt, and it's come out that there were some embellishments for the silverscreen, but a great football movie nonetheless. 

    This scene was left on cutting room floor. I can't imagine why, it would have made the movie even better.

    Damn - I forgot to "Remember the Titans."   In fairness, I forget I don't have the right glasses on in the morning when I'm working from home.  Too many premature senior moments for me to compete in this thread.  Well done AP1!

  • @dutch-oven said:

    ........  " I  LOVE YOU  BRIAN PICCOLO ".   Sniff, sniff .....

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @mjp28 said:

    ........  " I  LOVE YOU  BRIAN PICCOLO ".   Sniff, sniff .....

    Ironically, he's competing with his son (from Varsity Blues) in this one...

  • FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #21

    FWIW, Sean Austin (the main actor in Rudy) is in another football movie called Woodlawn.  A significant part of this movie is about former Alabama Crimson Tide and Miami Dolphins RB Tony Nathan back when he was in high school and some surprisingly significant changes that program was willing to make.  Sean Austin is excellent in this movie!