Skip to content

Off Topic But Fun: Favorite Football Movies

The Browns Board
64 15 2.4k 1
  • sydS syd

    @dutch-oven said:

    original The Longest Yard

    the re make sucked, I honestly can say i  hate adam sandler

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @syd said:

    the re make sucked, I honestly can say i  hate adam sandler

    I saw it once and that was plenty. 

    For some reason the remake is on Showtime all the time, and I always scroll down to it hoping that it is the original. 

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #8

    Like Dutch, gotta go with Brian's Song.?

  • Like Dutch, gotta go with Brian's Song.?

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @texasag1969 said:

    Like Dutch, gotta go with Brian's Song.?

    A movie I would never watch with someone else. 

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #10

    The Replacements 

    Varsity Blues

    Any Given Sunday 

  • The Replacements 

    Varsity Blues

    Any Given Sunday 

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @tiamat63 said:

    The Replacements 

    Varsity Blues

    Any Given Sunday 

    I have to admit, I've never seen Any Given Sunday. 

    The Replacements is a quirky choice, Varsity Blues is a good one. 

  • @tiamat63 said:

    The Replacements 

    Varsity Blues

    Any Given Sunday 

    I have to admit, I've never seen Any Given Sunday. 

    The Replacements is a quirky choice, Varsity Blues is a good one. 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #12

    @dutch-oven said:

    I have to admit, I've never seen Any Given Sunday. 

    The Replacements is a quirky choice, Varsity Blues is a good one. 

    You know how there's "Walk off" Homeruns?   This could very well be "Laugh Flugel off" the board Dumb Ass cubed. "All the Right Moves" came out 1 year after I graduated from High School. Great cast - credible story in a blue collar town.  Before this I liked Brian's Song and The Paper Lion.  

  • @tiamat63 said:

    The Replacements 

    Varsity Blues

    Any Given Sunday 

    I have to admit, I've never seen Any Given Sunday. 

    The Replacements is a quirky choice, Varsity Blues is a good one. 

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @dutch-oven said:

    I have to admit, I've never seen Any Given Sunday. 

    One of the best monologues in sports movies.  

    @dutch-oven said:

    The Replacements 

    Heart.  Miles and Miles of heart. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I have to admit, I've never seen Any Given Sunday. 

    The Replacements is a quirky choice, Varsity Blues is a good one. 

    You know how there's "Walk off" Homeruns?   This could very well be "Laugh Flugel off" the board Dumb Ass cubed. "All the Right Moves" came out 1 year after I graduated from High School. Great cast - credible story in a blue collar town.  Before this I liked Brian's Song and The Paper Lion.  

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @flugel said:

    You know how there's "Walk off" Homeruns?   This could very well be "Laugh Flugel off" the board Dumb Ass cubed. "All the Right Moves" came out 1 year after I graduated from High School. Great cast - credible story in a blue collar town.  Before this I liked Brian's Song and The Paper Lion.  

    This is a really underrated movie! Good choice, you can almost smell the steel mills in this movie. 

    Damn, I might have to find if it is on a streaming service and watch it soon. For high school movies I liked this one far better than Friday Night Lights. 

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @dutch-oven said:

    ........  " I  LOVE YOU  BRIAN PICCOLO ".   Sniff, sniff .....

  • KvoetheK Kvoethe wrote on last edited by
    #16

    Comedy

    Replacements

    Wildcats

    Necessary roughness

    Serious or/true story

    Greater

    Facing the Giants

    Invincible 

  • A AP1 wrote on last edited by
    #17

    1. Rudy

    2. Remember the Titans

    3. Brian's Song

    Spoiler Alert: One of my college coaches, Tom Gullickson, played Guard on those ND Teams. He HATED Rudy, the man. Hated him. He called him a crybaby, a bitch and a tattletale. I take everything with a grain of salt, and it's come out that there were some embellishments for the silverscreen, but a great football movie nonetheless. 

    This scene was left on cutting room floor. I can't imagine why, it would have made the movie even better.

  • Comedy

    Replacements

    Wildcats

    Necessary roughness

    Serious or/true story

    Greater

    Facing the Giants

    Invincible 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @kvoethe said:

    Comedy

    Replacements

    Wildcats

    Necessary roughness

    Serious or/true story

    Greater

    Facing the Giants

    Invincible 

    Wildcats was funny and Invincible is a true story.  ?   

  • A AP1

    1. Rudy

    2. Remember the Titans

    3. Brian's Song

    Spoiler Alert: One of my college coaches, Tom Gullickson, played Guard on those ND Teams. He HATED Rudy, the man. Hated him. He called him a crybaby, a bitch and a tattletale. I take everything with a grain of salt, and it's come out that there were some embellishments for the silverscreen, but a great football movie nonetheless. 

    This scene was left on cutting room floor. I can't imagine why, it would have made the movie even better.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @ap1 said:

    1. Rudy

    2. Remember the Titans

    3. Brian's Song

    Spoiler Alert: One of my college coaches, Tom Gullickson, played Guard on those ND Teams. He HATED Rudy, the man. Hated him. He called him a crybaby, a bitch and a tattletale. I take everything with a grain of salt, and it's come out that there were some embellishments for the silverscreen, but a great football movie nonetheless. 

    This scene was left on cutting room floor. I can't imagine why, it would have made the movie even better.

    Damn - I forgot to "Remember the Titans."   In fairness, I forget I don't have the right glasses on in the morning when I'm working from home.  Too many premature senior moments for me to compete in this thread.  Well done AP1!

  • @dutch-oven said:

    ........  " I  LOVE YOU  BRIAN PICCOLO ".   Sniff, sniff .....

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @mjp28 said:

    ........  " I  LOVE YOU  BRIAN PICCOLO ".   Sniff, sniff .....

    Ironically, he's competing with his son (from Varsity Blues) in this one...

  • FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #21

    FWIW, Sean Austin (the main actor in Rudy) is in another football movie called Woodlawn.  A significant part of this movie is about former Alabama Crimson Tide and Miami Dolphins RB Tony Nathan back when he was in high school and some surprisingly significant changes that program was willing to make.  Sean Austin is excellent in this movie!

  • FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #22

    Here's another inspirational true story.  Some of you might be old enough to remember him. This is must see material... Having said that, WARNING - potential man-card loss in this one...  

  • @ap1 said:

    1. Rudy

    2. Remember the Titans

    3. Brian's Song

    Spoiler Alert: One of my college coaches, Tom Gullickson, played Guard on those ND Teams. He HATED Rudy, the man. Hated him. He called him a crybaby, a bitch and a tattletale. I take everything with a grain of salt, and it's come out that there were some embellishments for the silverscreen, but a great football movie nonetheless. 

    This scene was left on cutting room floor. I can't imagine why, it would have made the movie even better.

    Damn - I forgot to "Remember the Titans."   In fairness, I forget I don't have the right glasses on in the morning when I'm working from home.  Too many premature senior moments for me to compete in this thread.  Well done AP1!

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @flugel said:

    Damn - I forgot to "Remember the Titans."   In fairness, I forget I don't have the right glasses on in the morning when I'm working from home.  Too many premature senior moments for me to compete in this thread.  Well done AP1!

    When I came up with this thread I looked up a "Best Football Movies" site just to jog my memory.

    And then you listed "All The Right Moves", which wasn't on it for some reason but is really good. 

    Oh yeah, there's The Express, about Ernie Davis. 

  • A AP1

    1. Rudy

    2. Remember the Titans

    3. Brian's Song

    Spoiler Alert: One of my college coaches, Tom Gullickson, played Guard on those ND Teams. He HATED Rudy, the man. Hated him. He called him a crybaby, a bitch and a tattletale. I take everything with a grain of salt, and it's come out that there were some embellishments for the silverscreen, but a great football movie nonetheless. 

    This scene was left on cutting room floor. I can't imagine why, it would have made the movie even better.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by Dutch Oven
    #24

    @ap1 said:

    1. Rudy

    2. Remember the Titans

    3. Brian's Song

    Spoiler Alert: One of my college coaches, Tom Gullickson, played Guard on those ND Teams. He HATED Rudy, the man. Hated him. He called him a crybaby, a bitch and a tattletale. I take everything with a grain of salt, and it's come out that there were some embellishments for the silverscreen, but a great football movie nonetheless. 

    This scene was left on cutting room floor. I can't imagine why, it would have made the movie even better.

    Yeah, that's unfortunate about Rudy, because I've heard things about him too. Many have said he became insufferably full of himself after the movie came out, etc. 

    Still a great movie though. 

  • @ap1 said:

    1. Rudy

    2. Remember the Titans

    3. Brian's Song

    Spoiler Alert: One of my college coaches, Tom Gullickson, played Guard on those ND Teams. He HATED Rudy, the man. Hated him. He called him a crybaby, a bitch and a tattletale. I take everything with a grain of salt, and it's come out that there were some embellishments for the silverscreen, but a great football movie nonetheless. 

    This scene was left on cutting room floor. I can't imagine why, it would have made the movie even better.

    Yeah, that's unfortunate about Rudy, because I've heard things about him too. Many have said he became insufferably full of himself after the movie came out, etc. 

    Still a great movie though. 

    sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @dutch-oven said:

    Yeah, that's unfortunate about Rudy, because I've heard things about him too. Many have said he became insufferably full of himself after the movie came out, etc. 

    Still a great movie though. 

    I thought Joe Montanna said it was all bullshit

  • sydS syd

    @dutch-oven said:

    Yeah, that's unfortunate about Rudy, because I've heard things about him too. Many have said he became insufferably full of himself after the movie came out, etc. 

    Still a great movie though. 

    I thought Joe Montanna said it was all bullshit

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by Dutch Oven
    #26

    @syd said:

    I thought Joe Montanna said it was all bullshit

    He definitely had some issues with it. 

    I know they tried to make Dan Devine as somewhat of the bad guy of the story, and that wasn't true. Apparently Devine was a big fan of Rudy's. The scene where a lot of the players hand him their jerseys was incredibly embellished. A few players did ask Devine to play Rudy in their place, though.

    Note: The actor who played Head Coach Dan Devine was Chelcie Ross, who also was in 'Major League' and 'Hoosiers'.

    One actor in arguably one of the best football, baseball and basketball movies.