Skip to content

Off Topic But Fun: Favorite Football Movies

The Browns Board
64 15 2.4k 1
  • @dutch-oven said:

    I have to admit, I've never seen Any Given Sunday. 

    The Replacements is a quirky choice, Varsity Blues is a good one. 

    You know how there's "Walk off" Homeruns?   This could very well be "Laugh Flugel off" the board Dumb Ass cubed. "All the Right Moves" came out 1 year after I graduated from High School. Great cast - credible story in a blue collar town.  Before this I liked Brian's Song and The Paper Lion.  

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @flugel said:

    You know how there's "Walk off" Homeruns?   This could very well be "Laugh Flugel off" the board Dumb Ass cubed. "All the Right Moves" came out 1 year after I graduated from High School. Great cast - credible story in a blue collar town.  Before this I liked Brian's Song and The Paper Lion.  

    This is a really underrated movie! Good choice, you can almost smell the steel mills in this movie. 

    Damn, I might have to find if it is on a streaming service and watch it soon. For high school movies I liked this one far better than Friday Night Lights. 

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @dutch-oven said:

    ........  " I  LOVE YOU  BRIAN PICCOLO ".   Sniff, sniff .....

  • KvoetheK Kvoethe wrote on last edited by
    #16

    Comedy

    Replacements

    Wildcats

    Necessary roughness

    Serious or/true story

    Greater

    Facing the Giants

    Invincible 

  • A AP1 wrote on last edited by
    #17

    1. Rudy

    2. Remember the Titans

    3. Brian's Song

    Spoiler Alert: One of my college coaches, Tom Gullickson, played Guard on those ND Teams. He HATED Rudy, the man. Hated him. He called him a crybaby, a bitch and a tattletale. I take everything with a grain of salt, and it's come out that there were some embellishments for the silverscreen, but a great football movie nonetheless. 

    This scene was left on cutting room floor. I can't imagine why, it would have made the movie even better.

  • Comedy

    Replacements

    Wildcats

    Necessary roughness

    Serious or/true story

    Greater

    Facing the Giants

    Invincible 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @kvoethe said:

    Comedy

    Replacements

    Wildcats

    Necessary roughness

    Serious or/true story

    Greater

    Facing the Giants

    Invincible 

    Wildcats was funny and Invincible is a true story.  ?   

  • A AP1

    1. Rudy

    2. Remember the Titans

    3. Brian's Song

    Spoiler Alert: One of my college coaches, Tom Gullickson, played Guard on those ND Teams. He HATED Rudy, the man. Hated him. He called him a crybaby, a bitch and a tattletale. I take everything with a grain of salt, and it's come out that there were some embellishments for the silverscreen, but a great football movie nonetheless. 

    This scene was left on cutting room floor. I can't imagine why, it would have made the movie even better.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @ap1 said:

    1. Rudy

    2. Remember the Titans

    3. Brian's Song

    Spoiler Alert: One of my college coaches, Tom Gullickson, played Guard on those ND Teams. He HATED Rudy, the man. Hated him. He called him a crybaby, a bitch and a tattletale. I take everything with a grain of salt, and it's come out that there were some embellishments for the silverscreen, but a great football movie nonetheless. 

    This scene was left on cutting room floor. I can't imagine why, it would have made the movie even better.

    Damn - I forgot to "Remember the Titans."   In fairness, I forget I don't have the right glasses on in the morning when I'm working from home.  Too many premature senior moments for me to compete in this thread.  Well done AP1!

  • @dutch-oven said:

    ........  " I  LOVE YOU  BRIAN PICCOLO ".   Sniff, sniff .....

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @mjp28 said:

    ........  " I  LOVE YOU  BRIAN PICCOLO ".   Sniff, sniff .....

    Ironically, he's competing with his son (from Varsity Blues) in this one...

  • FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #21

    FWIW, Sean Austin (the main actor in Rudy) is in another football movie called Woodlawn.  A significant part of this movie is about former Alabama Crimson Tide and Miami Dolphins RB Tony Nathan back when he was in high school and some surprisingly significant changes that program was willing to make.  Sean Austin is excellent in this movie!

  • FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #22

    Here's another inspirational true story.  Some of you might be old enough to remember him. This is must see material... Having said that, WARNING - potential man-card loss in this one...  

  • @ap1 said:

    1. Rudy

    2. Remember the Titans

    3. Brian's Song

    Spoiler Alert: One of my college coaches, Tom Gullickson, played Guard on those ND Teams. He HATED Rudy, the man. Hated him. He called him a crybaby, a bitch and a tattletale. I take everything with a grain of salt, and it's come out that there were some embellishments for the silverscreen, but a great football movie nonetheless. 

    This scene was left on cutting room floor. I can't imagine why, it would have made the movie even better.

    Damn - I forgot to "Remember the Titans."   In fairness, I forget I don't have the right glasses on in the morning when I'm working from home.  Too many premature senior moments for me to compete in this thread.  Well done AP1!

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @flugel said:

    Damn - I forgot to "Remember the Titans."   In fairness, I forget I don't have the right glasses on in the morning when I'm working from home.  Too many premature senior moments for me to compete in this thread.  Well done AP1!

    When I came up with this thread I looked up a "Best Football Movies" site just to jog my memory.

    And then you listed "All The Right Moves", which wasn't on it for some reason but is really good. 

    Oh yeah, there's The Express, about Ernie Davis. 

  • A AP1

    1. Rudy

    2. Remember the Titans

    3. Brian's Song

    Spoiler Alert: One of my college coaches, Tom Gullickson, played Guard on those ND Teams. He HATED Rudy, the man. Hated him. He called him a crybaby, a bitch and a tattletale. I take everything with a grain of salt, and it's come out that there were some embellishments for the silverscreen, but a great football movie nonetheless. 

    This scene was left on cutting room floor. I can't imagine why, it would have made the movie even better.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by Dutch Oven
    #24

    @ap1 said:

    1. Rudy

    2. Remember the Titans

    3. Brian's Song

    Spoiler Alert: One of my college coaches, Tom Gullickson, played Guard on those ND Teams. He HATED Rudy, the man. Hated him. He called him a crybaby, a bitch and a tattletale. I take everything with a grain of salt, and it's come out that there were some embellishments for the silverscreen, but a great football movie nonetheless. 

    This scene was left on cutting room floor. I can't imagine why, it would have made the movie even better.

    Yeah, that's unfortunate about Rudy, because I've heard things about him too. Many have said he became insufferably full of himself after the movie came out, etc. 

    Still a great movie though. 

  • @ap1 said:

    1. Rudy

    2. Remember the Titans

    3. Brian's Song

    Spoiler Alert: One of my college coaches, Tom Gullickson, played Guard on those ND Teams. He HATED Rudy, the man. Hated him. He called him a crybaby, a bitch and a tattletale. I take everything with a grain of salt, and it's come out that there were some embellishments for the silverscreen, but a great football movie nonetheless. 

    This scene was left on cutting room floor. I can't imagine why, it would have made the movie even better.

    Yeah, that's unfortunate about Rudy, because I've heard things about him too. Many have said he became insufferably full of himself after the movie came out, etc. 

    Still a great movie though. 

    sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @dutch-oven said:

    Yeah, that's unfortunate about Rudy, because I've heard things about him too. Many have said he became insufferably full of himself after the movie came out, etc. 

    Still a great movie though. 

    I thought Joe Montanna said it was all bullshit

  • sydS syd

    @dutch-oven said:

    Yeah, that's unfortunate about Rudy, because I've heard things about him too. Many have said he became insufferably full of himself after the movie came out, etc. 

    Still a great movie though. 

    I thought Joe Montanna said it was all bullshit

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by Dutch Oven
    #26

    @syd said:

    I thought Joe Montanna said it was all bullshit

    He definitely had some issues with it. 

    I know they tried to make Dan Devine as somewhat of the bad guy of the story, and that wasn't true. Apparently Devine was a big fan of Rudy's. The scene where a lot of the players hand him their jerseys was incredibly embellished. A few players did ask Devine to play Rudy in their place, though.

    Note: The actor who played Head Coach Dan Devine was Chelcie Ross, who also was in 'Major League' and 'Hoosiers'.

    One actor in arguably one of the best football, baseball and basketball movies. 

  • @ap1 said:

    1. Rudy

    2. Remember the Titans

    3. Brian's Song

    Spoiler Alert: One of my college coaches, Tom Gullickson, played Guard on those ND Teams. He HATED Rudy, the man. Hated him. He called him a crybaby, a bitch and a tattletale. I take everything with a grain of salt, and it's come out that there were some embellishments for the silverscreen, but a great football movie nonetheless. 

    This scene was left on cutting room floor. I can't imagine why, it would have made the movie even better.

    Yeah, that's unfortunate about Rudy, because I've heard things about him too. Many have said he became insufferably full of himself after the movie came out, etc. 

    Still a great movie though. 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @dutch-oven said:

    Yeah, that's unfortunate about Rudy, because I've heard things about him too. Many have said he became insufferably full of himself after the movie came out, etc. 

    Still a great movie though. 

    At least we understand why his brother in the movie couldn't stand him until he had to cooperate for the happy ending.  Before he was famous, Vince Vaughn was the teammate that got the QB to audible and let him throw a TD pass to give Rudy a chance to play shortly thereafter.

  • Here's another inspirational true story.  Some of you might be old enough to remember him. This is must see material... Having said that, WARNING - potential man-card loss in this one...  

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @flugel said:

    Here's another inspirational true story.  Some of you might be old enough to remember him. This is must see material... Having said that, WARNING - potential man-card loss in this one...  

    I might have to check this out, even despite my lack of interest in watching "faith-based" movies. I honestly don't remember this story. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Yeah, that's unfortunate about Rudy, because I've heard things about him too. Many have said he became insufferably full of himself after the movie came out, etc. 

    Still a great movie though. 

    At least we understand why his brother in the movie couldn't stand him until he had to cooperate for the happy ending.  Before he was famous, Vince Vaughn was the teammate that got the QB to audible and let him throw a TD pass to give Rudy a chance to play shortly thereafter.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @flugel said:

    At least we understand why his brother in the movie couldn't stand him until he had to cooperate for the happy ending.  Before he was famous, Vince Vaughn was the teammate that got the QB to audible and let him throw a TD pass to give Rudy a chance to play shortly thereafter.

    Yep!

    Before he was playing Dodgeball, he was being a douchebag halfback for Notre Dame. ?

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #30

    Hot damn, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention how good 'We Are Marshall' was. 

  • FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #31

    I'm not even sure this one is worth mentioning but "School Ties" where Branden Fraser is a Jewish kid that's an excellent athlete recruited to play QB for a prep school. This school is full of rich brats that hate themselves a Jewish classmate/teammate.  Matt Damon, Ben Affleck and Chris O'Donnell are in this movie as well.

  • I'm not even sure this one is worth mentioning but "School Ties" where Branden Fraser is a Jewish kid that's an excellent athlete recruited to play QB for a prep school. This school is full of rich brats that hate themselves a Jewish classmate/teammate.  Matt Damon, Ben Affleck and Chris O'Donnell are in this movie as well.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @flugel said:

    I'm not even sure this one is worth mentioning but "School Ties" where Branden Fraser is a Jewish kid that's an excellent athlete recruited to play QB for a prep school. This school is full of rich brats that hate themselves a Jewish classmate/teammate.  Matt Damon, Ben Affleck and Chris O'Donnell are in this movie as well.

    Very good movie! 

  • M Marvin the Martian wrote on last edited by
    #33

    The Replacements

    Nothing beats seeing the redemption of Shane Falco