Skip to content

Off Topic But Fun: Favorite Football Movies

The Browns Board
64 15 2.4k 1
  • @ap1 said:

    1. Rudy

    2. Remember the Titans

    3. Brian's Song

    Spoiler Alert: One of my college coaches, Tom Gullickson, played Guard on those ND Teams. He HATED Rudy, the man. Hated him. He called him a crybaby, a bitch and a tattletale. I take everything with a grain of salt, and it's come out that there were some embellishments for the silverscreen, but a great football movie nonetheless. 

    This scene was left on cutting room floor. I can't imagine why, it would have made the movie even better.

    Yeah, that's unfortunate about Rudy, because I've heard things about him too. Many have said he became insufferably full of himself after the movie came out, etc. 

    Still a great movie though. 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @dutch-oven said:

    Yeah, that's unfortunate about Rudy, because I've heard things about him too. Many have said he became insufferably full of himself after the movie came out, etc. 

    Still a great movie though. 

    At least we understand why his brother in the movie couldn't stand him until he had to cooperate for the happy ending.  Before he was famous, Vince Vaughn was the teammate that got the QB to audible and let him throw a TD pass to give Rudy a chance to play shortly thereafter.

  • Here's another inspirational true story.  Some of you might be old enough to remember him. This is must see material... Having said that, WARNING - potential man-card loss in this one...  

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @flugel said:

    Here's another inspirational true story.  Some of you might be old enough to remember him. This is must see material... Having said that, WARNING - potential man-card loss in this one...  

    I might have to check this out, even despite my lack of interest in watching "faith-based" movies. I honestly don't remember this story. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Yeah, that's unfortunate about Rudy, because I've heard things about him too. Many have said he became insufferably full of himself after the movie came out, etc. 

    Still a great movie though. 

    At least we understand why his brother in the movie couldn't stand him until he had to cooperate for the happy ending.  Before he was famous, Vince Vaughn was the teammate that got the QB to audible and let him throw a TD pass to give Rudy a chance to play shortly thereafter.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @flugel said:

    At least we understand why his brother in the movie couldn't stand him until he had to cooperate for the happy ending.  Before he was famous, Vince Vaughn was the teammate that got the QB to audible and let him throw a TD pass to give Rudy a chance to play shortly thereafter.

    Yep!

    Before he was playing Dodgeball, he was being a douchebag halfback for Notre Dame. ?

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #30

    Hot damn, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention how good 'We Are Marshall' was. 

  • FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #31

    I'm not even sure this one is worth mentioning but "School Ties" where Branden Fraser is a Jewish kid that's an excellent athlete recruited to play QB for a prep school. This school is full of rich brats that hate themselves a Jewish classmate/teammate.  Matt Damon, Ben Affleck and Chris O'Donnell are in this movie as well.

  • I'm not even sure this one is worth mentioning but "School Ties" where Branden Fraser is a Jewish kid that's an excellent athlete recruited to play QB for a prep school. This school is full of rich brats that hate themselves a Jewish classmate/teammate.  Matt Damon, Ben Affleck and Chris O'Donnell are in this movie as well.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @flugel said:

    I'm not even sure this one is worth mentioning but "School Ties" where Branden Fraser is a Jewish kid that's an excellent athlete recruited to play QB for a prep school. This school is full of rich brats that hate themselves a Jewish classmate/teammate.  Matt Damon, Ben Affleck and Chris O'Donnell are in this movie as well.

    Very good movie! 

  • M Marvin the Martian wrote on last edited by
    #33

    The Replacements

    Nothing beats seeing the redemption of Shane Falco

  • The Replacements

    Nothing beats seeing the redemption of Shane Falco

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #34

    @marvin-the-martian said:

    The Replacements

    Nothing beats seeing the redemption of Shane Falco

    And his blonde cheerleader girlfriend wasn't hard to look at!

  • Hot damn, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention how good 'We Are Marshall' was. 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @dutch-oven said:

    Hot damn, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention how good 'We Are Marshall' was. 

    Yeah, it was.  There's a lot of good football movies out there. 

    It was interesting to hear that stuff about Rudy.  I also recently learned that things didn't unfold in real life quite like the movie "The Blind Side" made the Tuohy family out to be.  This is what I found in Google about it. Oher accused the Tuohys of lying about adopting him when they became his conservators in 2004, which gave them the legal authority to make business deals in his name.Dec 6, 2023  

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Hot damn, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention how good 'We Are Marshall' was. 

    Yeah, it was.  There's a lot of good football movies out there. 

    It was interesting to hear that stuff about Rudy.  I also recently learned that things didn't unfold in real life quite like the movie "The Blind Side" made the Tuohy family out to be.  This is what I found in Google about it. Oher accused the Tuohys of lying about adopting him when they became his conservators in 2004, which gave them the legal authority to make business deals in his name.Dec 6, 2023  

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by Dutch Oven
    #36

    @flugel said:

    Yeah, it was.  There's a lot of good football movies out there. 

    It was interesting to hear that stuff about Rudy.  I also recently learned that things didn't unfold in real life quite like the movie "The Blind Side" made the Tuohy family out to be.  This is what I found in Google about it. Oher accused the Tuohys of lying about adopting him when they became his conservators in 2004, which gave them the legal authority to make business deals in his name.Dec 6, 2023  

    The 'Blind Side' story seems to be quite the convoluted one, huh? 

    Were the Tuohys opportunistic do-gooders? Perhaps, but they had money before they ever set eyes on Michael Oher. Was Michael Oher ungrateful? Perhaps he felt embarrassed by the book and movie when he got older? 

    Was it ever found out that the Tuohys stole money from Oher?

    Post script: Looked up a few stories concerning the rift between Oher and the Tuohys and man, Michael Lewis should write a 'Blind Side II' follow-up. That would be a must-read. 

  • sydS syd

    @dutch-oven said:

    Yeah, that's unfortunate about Rudy, because I've heard things about him too. Many have said he became insufferably full of himself after the movie came out, etc. 

    Still a great movie though. 

    I thought Joe Montanna said it was all bullshit

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #37

    @syd said:

    I thought Joe Montanna said it was all bullshit

    Well here is a true very short documentary.? 

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by nickers
    #38

    Two of my favorite are the original "The Longest Yard" With Burt Reynolds and Eddie Albert.. And "The Fortune Cookie" With Jack Lemon  is a fictional story surrounding the Cleveland Browns in the 60's..

  • BernieSuperBowl2B BernieSuperBowl2 wrote on last edited by
    #39

    Remember the Titans, Any Given Sunday.

    One I've watched the most - Necessary Roughness with Sinbad, Scott Bakula - and a young Kathy Ireland. 

  • Remember the Titans, Any Given Sunday.

    One I've watched the most - Necessary Roughness with Sinbad, Scott Bakula - and a young Kathy Ireland. 

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #40

    @berniesuperbowl2 said:

    Remember the Titans, Any Given Sunday.

    One I've watched the most - Necessary Roughness with Sinbad, Scott Bakula - and a young Kathy Ireland. 

    Somehow I missed Necessary Roughness, which is weird considering I liked watching the original 'Quantum Leap' with Bakula with my dad. 

  • @berniesuperbowl2 said:

    Remember the Titans, Any Given Sunday.

    One I've watched the most - Necessary Roughness with Sinbad, Scott Bakula - and a young Kathy Ireland. 

    Somehow I missed Necessary Roughness, which is weird considering I liked watching the original 'Quantum Leap' with Bakula with my dad. 

    BernieSuperBowl2B BernieSuperBowl2 wrote on last edited by
    #41

    @dutch-oven said:

    Somehow I missed Necessary Roughness, which is weird considering I liked watching the original 'Quantum Leap' with Bakula with my dad. 

    Me and my brother always thought Robert Loggia (R.I.P.) was hilarious in Necessary Roughness. He had that raspy voice that was perfect for yelling at people. Also a young Jason Bateman in that movie. 

  • F FairHooker11 wrote on last edited by
    #42

    loved The Longest Yard - would stop to watch it again if it came on.

    how about 'The Best of Times"  

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #43

    'The Best of Times' is a good choice, kind of an underrated movie.

    Kurt Russell was pretty convincing as an ex-high school star QB, you can tell he was an athlete in his younger years. 

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #44

    Kind of surprised that no one mentioned 'Draft Day'. 

    Pretty unrealistic, but entertaining anyways. 

  • Kind of surprised that no one mentioned 'Draft Day'. 

    Pretty unrealistic, but entertaining anyways. 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #45

    @dutch-oven said:

    Kind of surprised that no one mentioned 'Draft Day'. 

    Pretty unrealistic, but entertaining anyways. 

    Yeah, I joined everyone in forgetting this one - North Dallas Forty. I forgot most of it; but it was supposed to mimic how the Dallas Cowboys were managed back in the day. I got a kick out of seeing one of the WRs they were leaning on (Nick Nolte) smoking cigarettes throughout the film in that era. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Kind of surprised that no one mentioned 'Draft Day'. 

    Pretty unrealistic, but entertaining anyways. 

    Yeah, I joined everyone in forgetting this one - North Dallas Forty. I forgot most of it; but it was supposed to mimic how the Dallas Cowboys were managed back in the day. I got a kick out of seeing one of the WRs they were leaning on (Nick Nolte) smoking cigarettes throughout the film in that era. 

    alporciniA alporcini wrote on last edited by
    #46

    @flugel said:

    Yeah, I joined everyone in forgetting this one - North Dallas Forty. I forgot most of it; but it was supposed to mimic how the Dallas Cowboys were managed back in the day. I got a kick out of seeing one of the WRs they were leaning on (Nick Nolte) smoking cigarettes throughout the film in that era. 

    And of course there’s one of my all time faves Semi-Tough. Both of them ran back to back on Turner Classic Movies not long ago.