Skip to content

Off Topic But Fun: Favorite Football Movies

The Browns Board
64 15 2.4k 1
  • Hot damn, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention how good 'We Are Marshall' was. 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @dutch-oven said:

    Hot damn, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention how good 'We Are Marshall' was. 

    Yeah, it was.  There's a lot of good football movies out there. 

    It was interesting to hear that stuff about Rudy.  I also recently learned that things didn't unfold in real life quite like the movie "The Blind Side" made the Tuohy family out to be.  This is what I found in Google about it. Oher accused the Tuohys of lying about adopting him when they became his conservators in 2004, which gave them the legal authority to make business deals in his name.Dec 6, 2023  

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Hot damn, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention how good 'We Are Marshall' was. 

    Yeah, it was.  There's a lot of good football movies out there. 

    It was interesting to hear that stuff about Rudy.  I also recently learned that things didn't unfold in real life quite like the movie "The Blind Side" made the Tuohy family out to be.  This is what I found in Google about it. Oher accused the Tuohys of lying about adopting him when they became his conservators in 2004, which gave them the legal authority to make business deals in his name.Dec 6, 2023  

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by Dutch Oven
    #36

    @flugel said:

    Yeah, it was.  There's a lot of good football movies out there. 

    It was interesting to hear that stuff about Rudy.  I also recently learned that things didn't unfold in real life quite like the movie "The Blind Side" made the Tuohy family out to be.  This is what I found in Google about it. Oher accused the Tuohys of lying about adopting him when they became his conservators in 2004, which gave them the legal authority to make business deals in his name.Dec 6, 2023  

    The 'Blind Side' story seems to be quite the convoluted one, huh? 

    Were the Tuohys opportunistic do-gooders? Perhaps, but they had money before they ever set eyes on Michael Oher. Was Michael Oher ungrateful? Perhaps he felt embarrassed by the book and movie when he got older? 

    Was it ever found out that the Tuohys stole money from Oher?

    Post script: Looked up a few stories concerning the rift between Oher and the Tuohys and man, Michael Lewis should write a 'Blind Side II' follow-up. That would be a must-read. 

  • sydS syd

    @dutch-oven said:

    Yeah, that's unfortunate about Rudy, because I've heard things about him too. Many have said he became insufferably full of himself after the movie came out, etc. 

    Still a great movie though. 

    I thought Joe Montanna said it was all bullshit

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #37

    @syd said:

    I thought Joe Montanna said it was all bullshit

    Well here is a true very short documentary.? 

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by nickers
    #38

    Two of my favorite are the original "The Longest Yard" With Burt Reynolds and Eddie Albert.. And "The Fortune Cookie" With Jack Lemon  is a fictional story surrounding the Cleveland Browns in the 60's..

  • BernieSuperBowl2B BernieSuperBowl2 wrote on last edited by
    #39

    Remember the Titans, Any Given Sunday.

    One I've watched the most - Necessary Roughness with Sinbad, Scott Bakula - and a young Kathy Ireland. 

  • Remember the Titans, Any Given Sunday.

    One I've watched the most - Necessary Roughness with Sinbad, Scott Bakula - and a young Kathy Ireland. 

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #40

    @berniesuperbowl2 said:

    Remember the Titans, Any Given Sunday.

    One I've watched the most - Necessary Roughness with Sinbad, Scott Bakula - and a young Kathy Ireland. 

    Somehow I missed Necessary Roughness, which is weird considering I liked watching the original 'Quantum Leap' with Bakula with my dad. 

  • @berniesuperbowl2 said:

    Remember the Titans, Any Given Sunday.

    One I've watched the most - Necessary Roughness with Sinbad, Scott Bakula - and a young Kathy Ireland. 

    Somehow I missed Necessary Roughness, which is weird considering I liked watching the original 'Quantum Leap' with Bakula with my dad. 

    BernieSuperBowl2B BernieSuperBowl2 wrote on last edited by
    #41

    @dutch-oven said:

    Somehow I missed Necessary Roughness, which is weird considering I liked watching the original 'Quantum Leap' with Bakula with my dad. 

    Me and my brother always thought Robert Loggia (R.I.P.) was hilarious in Necessary Roughness. He had that raspy voice that was perfect for yelling at people. Also a young Jason Bateman in that movie. 

  • F FairHooker11 wrote on last edited by
    #42

    loved The Longest Yard - would stop to watch it again if it came on.

    how about 'The Best of Times"  

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #43

    'The Best of Times' is a good choice, kind of an underrated movie.

    Kurt Russell was pretty convincing as an ex-high school star QB, you can tell he was an athlete in his younger years. 

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #44

    Kind of surprised that no one mentioned 'Draft Day'. 

    Pretty unrealistic, but entertaining anyways. 

  • Kind of surprised that no one mentioned 'Draft Day'. 

    Pretty unrealistic, but entertaining anyways. 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #45

    @dutch-oven said:

    Kind of surprised that no one mentioned 'Draft Day'. 

    Pretty unrealistic, but entertaining anyways. 

    Yeah, I joined everyone in forgetting this one - North Dallas Forty. I forgot most of it; but it was supposed to mimic how the Dallas Cowboys were managed back in the day. I got a kick out of seeing one of the WRs they were leaning on (Nick Nolte) smoking cigarettes throughout the film in that era. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Kind of surprised that no one mentioned 'Draft Day'. 

    Pretty unrealistic, but entertaining anyways. 

    Yeah, I joined everyone in forgetting this one - North Dallas Forty. I forgot most of it; but it was supposed to mimic how the Dallas Cowboys were managed back in the day. I got a kick out of seeing one of the WRs they were leaning on (Nick Nolte) smoking cigarettes throughout the film in that era. 

    alporciniA alporcini wrote on last edited by
    #46

    @flugel said:

    Yeah, I joined everyone in forgetting this one - North Dallas Forty. I forgot most of it; but it was supposed to mimic how the Dallas Cowboys were managed back in the day. I got a kick out of seeing one of the WRs they were leaning on (Nick Nolte) smoking cigarettes throughout the film in that era. 

    And of course there’s one of my all time faves Semi-Tough. Both of them ran back to back on Turner Classic Movies not long ago. 

  • @flugel said:

    Yeah, I joined everyone in forgetting this one - North Dallas Forty. I forgot most of it; but it was supposed to mimic how the Dallas Cowboys were managed back in the day. I got a kick out of seeing one of the WRs they were leaning on (Nick Nolte) smoking cigarettes throughout the film in that era. 

    And of course there’s one of my all time faves Semi-Tough. Both of them ran back to back on Turner Classic Movies not long ago. 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #47

    @alporcini said:

    And of course there’s one of my all time faves Semi-Tough. Both of them ran back to back on Turner Classic Movies not long ago. 

    Way to go Al!  I knew there was a Burt Reynolds movie I was forgetting; but each time that kept getting intercepted by The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas.  That's it Semi-Tough.  

  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #48

    Bing Russel( you know Kurts dad) got killed 127 times in the movies and this is the best  true baseball movie ever made.

  • Y Yorkie going tot dogs wrote on last edited by
    #49

    Best Sport documentary, is Closer to the Edge about the Isle of Man TT races. This short clip covers two big crashes, Connor Cummins flips over a wall doing over 150 mph and was back racing two years later after breaking his back in five places, dislocating his knee and breaking one of his arms. And Guy Martin managed to kick himself off his bike before it hit the wall and exploded. The fire ball scenes are right at the end of this clip. This is the maddest Motor race on the planet and this short clip shows you why. Was talking to an old boy in Houston who's a big fan of this event which surprised me as I didn't think it would be known of in USA.

  • Best Sport documentary, is Closer to the Edge about the Isle of Man TT races. This short clip covers two big crashes, Connor Cummins flips over a wall doing over 150 mph and was back racing two years later after breaking his back in five places, dislocating his knee and breaking one of his arms. And Guy Martin managed to kick himself off his bike before it hit the wall and exploded. The fire ball scenes are right at the end of this clip. This is the maddest Motor race on the planet and this short clip shows you why. Was talking to an old boy in Houston who's a big fan of this event which surprised me as I didn't think it would be known of in USA.

    sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #50

    @yorkie-going-tot-dogs said:

    Best Sport documentary, is Closer to the Edge about the Isle of Man TT races. This short clip covers two big crashes, Connor Cummins flips over a wall doing over 150 mph and was back racing two years later after breaking his back in five places, dislocating his knee and breaking one of his arms. And Guy Martin managed to kick himself off his bike before it hit the wall and exploded. The fire ball scenes are right at the end of this clip. This is the maddest Motor race on the planet and this short clip shows you why. Was talking to an old boy in Houston who's a big fan of this event which surprised me as I didn't think it would be known of in USA.

    are the do Gooders still trying to shut that  race down ?

  • sydS syd

    @yorkie-going-tot-dogs said:

    Best Sport documentary, is Closer to the Edge about the Isle of Man TT races. This short clip covers two big crashes, Connor Cummins flips over a wall doing over 150 mph and was back racing two years later after breaking his back in five places, dislocating his knee and breaking one of his arms. And Guy Martin managed to kick himself off his bike before it hit the wall and exploded. The fire ball scenes are right at the end of this clip. This is the maddest Motor race on the planet and this short clip shows you why. Was talking to an old boy in Houston who's a big fan of this event which surprised me as I didn't think it would be known of in USA.

    are the do Gooders still trying to shut that  race down ?

    Y Yorkie going tot dogs wrote on last edited by
    #51

    @syd said:

    are the do Gooders still trying to shut that  race down ?

    They have been in the past, the year before last there was a lot of noise about it due to 4 fatalities at Ago's leap and maybe a couple of others at different parts of the course. The last couple of years have been quiet in that regard, I didn't hear of any fatalities this year after the one last year. One of the spectators had a very lucky escape last year as one of the riders went for a 170 mph slide down Bray Hill with his bike hitting a wall and breaking up, the front forks and wheel shot across the road glancing a spectators head, went through a window and landed in someone's front room. Hope they weren't sat in there watching telly. The spectator was treated for a gashed head. You're obviously familiar with this race?

  • @syd said:

    are the do Gooders still trying to shut that  race down ?

    They have been in the past, the year before last there was a lot of noise about it due to 4 fatalities at Ago's leap and maybe a couple of others at different parts of the course. The last couple of years have been quiet in that regard, I didn't hear of any fatalities this year after the one last year. One of the spectators had a very lucky escape last year as one of the riders went for a 170 mph slide down Bray Hill with his bike hitting a wall and breaking up, the front forks and wheel shot across the road glancing a spectators head, went through a window and landed in someone's front room. Hope they weren't sat in there watching telly. The spectator was treated for a gashed head. You're obviously familiar with this race?

    sydS syd wrote on last edited by syd
    #52

    @yorkie-going-tot-dogs said:

    They have been in the past, the year before last there was a lot of noise about it due to 4 fatalities at Ago's leap and maybe a couple of others at different parts of the course. The last couple of years have been quiet in that regard, I didn't hear of any fatalities this year after the one last year. One of the spectators had a very lucky escape last year as one of the riders went for a 170 mph slide down Bray Hill with his bike hitting a wall and breaking up, the front forks and wheel shot across the road glancing a spectators head, went through a window and landed in someone's front room. Hope they weren't sat in there watching telly. The spectator was treated for a gashed head. You're obviously familiar with this race?

    little bit, as are others here and other places i visit, Cant watch it live unless you pay for it. So I just check highlights on youtube

  • sydS syd

    @yorkie-going-tot-dogs said:

    They have been in the past, the year before last there was a lot of noise about it due to 4 fatalities at Ago's leap and maybe a couple of others at different parts of the course. The last couple of years have been quiet in that regard, I didn't hear of any fatalities this year after the one last year. One of the spectators had a very lucky escape last year as one of the riders went for a 170 mph slide down Bray Hill with his bike hitting a wall and breaking up, the front forks and wheel shot across the road glancing a spectators head, went through a window and landed in someone's front room. Hope they weren't sat in there watching telly. The spectator was treated for a gashed head. You're obviously familiar with this race?

    little bit, as are others here and other places i visit, Cant watch it live unless you pay for it. So I just check highlights on youtube

    Y Yorkie going tot dogs wrote on last edited by
    #53

    @syd said:

    little bit as are others here and other places i visit, Cant watch it live unless you pay for it. So I just check highlights on youtube

    Yes there's some brilliant stuff on Youtube, Mini documentaries, pod casts and highlight shows. The on bike camera footage is a particular favorite of mine.  

  • @syd said:

    little bit as are others here and other places i visit, Cant watch it live unless you pay for it. So I just check highlights on youtube

    Yes there's some brilliant stuff on Youtube, Mini documentaries, pod casts and highlight shows. The on bike camera footage is a particular favorite of mine.  

    sydS syd wrote on last edited by syd
    #54

    @yorkie-going-tot-dogs said:

    Yes there's some brilliant stuff on Youtube, Mini documentaries, pod casts and highlight shows. The on bike camera footage is a particular favorite of mine.  

    sports that used to be free (A Big Fuck You To NBC) You now have to pay for. La Tour Da France and a lot of the Olympic Games will  be on nbc's pay station peecock

    edit: I believe there was a nfl game last year on fucking peecock that we had to pay for. And that fucking shill dan patrick applauded it, Fucker, I hate  that  dude