Skip to content

Off Topic But Fun: Favorite Football Movies

The Browns Board
64 15 2.4k 1
  • @berniesuperbowl2 said:

    Remember the Titans, Any Given Sunday.

    One I've watched the most - Necessary Roughness with Sinbad, Scott Bakula - and a young Kathy Ireland. 

    Somehow I missed Necessary Roughness, which is weird considering I liked watching the original 'Quantum Leap' with Bakula with my dad. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Somehow I missed Necessary Roughness, which is weird considering I liked watching the original 'Quantum Leap' with Bakula with my dad. 

    Me and my brother always thought Robert Loggia (R.I.P.) was hilarious in Necessary Roughness. He had that raspy voice that was perfect for yelling at people. Also a young Jason Bateman in that movie. 

  • loved The Longest Yard - would stop to watch it again if it came on.

    how about 'The Best of Times"  

  • 'The Best of Times' is a good choice, kind of an underrated movie.

    Kurt Russell was pretty convincing as an ex-high school star QB, you can tell he was an athlete in his younger years. 

  • Kind of surprised that no one mentioned 'Draft Day'. 

    Pretty unrealistic, but entertaining anyways. 

  • Kind of surprised that no one mentioned 'Draft Day'. 

    Pretty unrealistic, but entertaining anyways. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Kind of surprised that no one mentioned 'Draft Day'. 

    Pretty unrealistic, but entertaining anyways. 

    Yeah, I joined everyone in forgetting this one - North Dallas Forty. I forgot most of it; but it was supposed to mimic how the Dallas Cowboys were managed back in the day. I got a kick out of seeing one of the WRs they were leaning on (Nick Nolte) smoking cigarettes throughout the film in that era. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Kind of surprised that no one mentioned 'Draft Day'. 

    Pretty unrealistic, but entertaining anyways. 

    Yeah, I joined everyone in forgetting this one - North Dallas Forty. I forgot most of it; but it was supposed to mimic how the Dallas Cowboys were managed back in the day. I got a kick out of seeing one of the WRs they were leaning on (Nick Nolte) smoking cigarettes throughout the film in that era. 

    @flugel said:

    Yeah, I joined everyone in forgetting this one - North Dallas Forty. I forgot most of it; but it was supposed to mimic how the Dallas Cowboys were managed back in the day. I got a kick out of seeing one of the WRs they were leaning on (Nick Nolte) smoking cigarettes throughout the film in that era. 

    And of course there’s one of my all time faves Semi-Tough. Both of them ran back to back on Turner Classic Movies not long ago. 

  • @flugel said:

    Yeah, I joined everyone in forgetting this one - North Dallas Forty. I forgot most of it; but it was supposed to mimic how the Dallas Cowboys were managed back in the day. I got a kick out of seeing one of the WRs they were leaning on (Nick Nolte) smoking cigarettes throughout the film in that era. 

    And of course there’s one of my all time faves Semi-Tough. Both of them ran back to back on Turner Classic Movies not long ago. 

    @alporcini said:

    And of course there’s one of my all time faves Semi-Tough. Both of them ran back to back on Turner Classic Movies not long ago. 

    Way to go Al!  I knew there was a Burt Reynolds movie I was forgetting; but each time that kept getting intercepted by The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas.  That's it Semi-Tough.  

  • Bing Russel( you know Kurts dad) got killed 127 times in the movies and this is the best  true baseball movie ever made.

  • Best Sport documentary, is Closer to the Edge about the Isle of Man TT races. This short clip covers two big crashes, Connor Cummins flips over a wall doing over 150 mph and was back racing two years later after breaking his back in five places, dislocating his knee and breaking one of his arms. And Guy Martin managed to kick himself off his bike before it hit the wall and exploded. The fire ball scenes are right at the end of this clip. This is the maddest Motor race on the planet and this short clip shows you why. Was talking to an old boy in Houston who's a big fan of this event which surprised me as I didn't think it would be known of in USA.

  • Best Sport documentary, is Closer to the Edge about the Isle of Man TT races. This short clip covers two big crashes, Connor Cummins flips over a wall doing over 150 mph and was back racing two years later after breaking his back in five places, dislocating his knee and breaking one of his arms. And Guy Martin managed to kick himself off his bike before it hit the wall and exploded. The fire ball scenes are right at the end of this clip. This is the maddest Motor race on the planet and this short clip shows you why. Was talking to an old boy in Houston who's a big fan of this event which surprised me as I didn't think it would be known of in USA.

    @yorkie-going-tot-dogs said:

    Best Sport documentary, is Closer to the Edge about the Isle of Man TT races. This short clip covers two big crashes, Connor Cummins flips over a wall doing over 150 mph and was back racing two years later after breaking his back in five places, dislocating his knee and breaking one of his arms. And Guy Martin managed to kick himself off his bike before it hit the wall and exploded. The fire ball scenes are right at the end of this clip. This is the maddest Motor race on the planet and this short clip shows you why. Was talking to an old boy in Houston who's a big fan of this event which surprised me as I didn't think it would be known of in USA.

    are the do Gooders still trying to shut that  race down ?

  • sydS syd

    @yorkie-going-tot-dogs said:

    Best Sport documentary, is Closer to the Edge about the Isle of Man TT races. This short clip covers two big crashes, Connor Cummins flips over a wall doing over 150 mph and was back racing two years later after breaking his back in five places, dislocating his knee and breaking one of his arms. And Guy Martin managed to kick himself off his bike before it hit the wall and exploded. The fire ball scenes are right at the end of this clip. This is the maddest Motor race on the planet and this short clip shows you why. Was talking to an old boy in Houston who's a big fan of this event which surprised me as I didn't think it would be known of in USA.

    are the do Gooders still trying to shut that  race down ?

    @syd said:

    are the do Gooders still trying to shut that  race down ?

    They have been in the past, the year before last there was a lot of noise about it due to 4 fatalities at Ago's leap and maybe a couple of others at different parts of the course. The last couple of years have been quiet in that regard, I didn't hear of any fatalities this year after the one last year. One of the spectators had a very lucky escape last year as one of the riders went for a 170 mph slide down Bray Hill with his bike hitting a wall and breaking up, the front forks and wheel shot across the road glancing a spectators head, went through a window and landed in someone's front room. Hope they weren't sat in there watching telly. The spectator was treated for a gashed head. You're obviously familiar with this race?

  • @syd said:

    are the do Gooders still trying to shut that  race down ?

    They have been in the past, the year before last there was a lot of noise about it due to 4 fatalities at Ago's leap and maybe a couple of others at different parts of the course. The last couple of years have been quiet in that regard, I didn't hear of any fatalities this year after the one last year. One of the spectators had a very lucky escape last year as one of the riders went for a 170 mph slide down Bray Hill with his bike hitting a wall and breaking up, the front forks and wheel shot across the road glancing a spectators head, went through a window and landed in someone's front room. Hope they weren't sat in there watching telly. The spectator was treated for a gashed head. You're obviously familiar with this race?

    @yorkie-going-tot-dogs said:

    They have been in the past, the year before last there was a lot of noise about it due to 4 fatalities at Ago's leap and maybe a couple of others at different parts of the course. The last couple of years have been quiet in that regard, I didn't hear of any fatalities this year after the one last year. One of the spectators had a very lucky escape last year as one of the riders went for a 170 mph slide down Bray Hill with his bike hitting a wall and breaking up, the front forks and wheel shot across the road glancing a spectators head, went through a window and landed in someone's front room. Hope they weren't sat in there watching telly. The spectator was treated for a gashed head. You're obviously familiar with this race?

    little bit, as are others here and other places i visit, Cant watch it live unless you pay for it. So I just check highlights on youtube

  • sydS syd

    @yorkie-going-tot-dogs said:

    They have been in the past, the year before last there was a lot of noise about it due to 4 fatalities at Ago's leap and maybe a couple of others at different parts of the course. The last couple of years have been quiet in that regard, I didn't hear of any fatalities this year after the one last year. One of the spectators had a very lucky escape last year as one of the riders went for a 170 mph slide down Bray Hill with his bike hitting a wall and breaking up, the front forks and wheel shot across the road glancing a spectators head, went through a window and landed in someone's front room. Hope they weren't sat in there watching telly. The spectator was treated for a gashed head. You're obviously familiar with this race?

    little bit, as are others here and other places i visit, Cant watch it live unless you pay for it. So I just check highlights on youtube

    @syd said:

    little bit as are others here and other places i visit, Cant watch it live unless you pay for it. So I just check highlights on youtube

    Yes there's some brilliant stuff on Youtube, Mini documentaries, pod casts and highlight shows. The on bike camera footage is a particular favorite of mine.  

  • @syd said:

    little bit as are others here and other places i visit, Cant watch it live unless you pay for it. So I just check highlights on youtube

    Yes there's some brilliant stuff on Youtube, Mini documentaries, pod casts and highlight shows. The on bike camera footage is a particular favorite of mine.  

    @yorkie-going-tot-dogs said:

    Yes there's some brilliant stuff on Youtube, Mini documentaries, pod casts and highlight shows. The on bike camera footage is a particular favorite of mine.  

    sports that used to be free (A Big Fuck You To NBC) You now have to pay for. La Tour Da France and a lot of the Olympic Games will  be on nbc's pay station peecock

    edit: I believe there was a nfl game last year on fucking peecock that we had to pay for. And that fucking shill dan patrick applauded it, Fucker, I hate  that  dude

  • sydS syd

    @yorkie-going-tot-dogs said:

    Yes there's some brilliant stuff on Youtube, Mini documentaries, pod casts and highlight shows. The on bike camera footage is a particular favorite of mine.  

    sports that used to be free (A Big Fuck You To NBC) You now have to pay for. La Tour Da France and a lot of the Olympic Games will  be on nbc's pay station peecock

    edit: I believe there was a nfl game last year on fucking peecock that we had to pay for. And that fucking shill dan patrick applauded it, Fucker, I hate  that  dude

    @syd said:

    sports that used to be free (A Big Fuck You To NBC) You now have to pay for. La Tour Da France and a lot of the Olympic will  be on nbc's pay station peecock

    As daft as it sounds, one of the Tour Stages started in York in 2014, it snaked through the city center before heading up to my side of the city and I managed to get some  good photos of the top riders as they passed on the main road near my house. It was only a procession at this point, they started racing once they reached the country side. They regularly start the Tour de France outside France and ours was one of three stages in England that year.

  • @syd said:

    sports that used to be free (A Big Fuck You To NBC) You now have to pay for. La Tour Da France and a lot of the Olympic will  be on nbc's pay station peecock

    As daft as it sounds, one of the Tour Stages started in York in 2014, it snaked through the city center before heading up to my side of the city and I managed to get some  good photos of the top riders as they passed on the main road near my house. It was only a procession at this point, they started racing once they reached the country side. They regularly start the Tour de France outside France and ours was one of three stages in England that year.

    @yorkie-going-tot-dogs said:

    As daft as it sounds, one of the Tour Stages started in York in 2014, it snaked through the city center before heading up to my side of the city and I managed to get some  good photos of the top riders as they passed on the main road near my house. It was only a procession at this point, they started racing once they reached the country side. They regularly start the Tour de France outside France and ours was one of three stages in England that year.

    cool as hell I would have watched if I was there (i used to long distance bike ride) but it was flat LOL. No Mountains

    So There was Hellfest 4 day concert. Then The La Tour and end's up  with the Olympics. A very cool couple of months

  • Kind of surprised that no one mentioned 'Draft Day'. 

    Pretty unrealistic, but entertaining anyways. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Kind of surprised that no one mentioned 'Draft Day'. 

    Pretty unrealistic, but entertaining anyways. 

    I was getting there, Draft Day really is one of my favorites. I get all weepy when the pick is finally announced. It’s really pathetic.

    Remember the Titans is up there for me. Does anyone else do that thing where if someone around you during any conversation says “left side”, l immediately scream “STRONG SIDE!” It’s a gag at parties.

    Q: What side of the house has the restrooms?

    A: Left side.

    STONG SIDE!!

    I’ll go with The Express to round out my top 3.

    The movie Friday Night Lights is awful, but the tv show is fantastic.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Kind of surprised that no one mentioned 'Draft Day'. 

    Pretty unrealistic, but entertaining anyways. 

    I was getting there, Draft Day really is one of my favorites. I get all weepy when the pick is finally announced. It’s really pathetic.

    Remember the Titans is up there for me. Does anyone else do that thing where if someone around you during any conversation says “left side”, l immediately scream “STRONG SIDE!” It’s a gag at parties.

    Q: What side of the house has the restrooms?

    A: Left side.

    STONG SIDE!!

    I’ll go with The Express to round out my top 3.

    The movie Friday Night Lights is awful, but the tv show is fantastic.

    @ibleedbrown said:

    The movie Friday Night Lights is awful, but the tv show is fantastic.

    The book is so damn good, but I agree, I didn't care for the movie either.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Kind of surprised that no one mentioned 'Draft Day'. 

    Pretty unrealistic, but entertaining anyways. 

    I was getting there, Draft Day really is one of my favorites. I get all weepy when the pick is finally announced. It’s really pathetic.

    Remember the Titans is up there for me. Does anyone else do that thing where if someone around you during any conversation says “left side”, l immediately scream “STRONG SIDE!” It’s a gag at parties.

    Q: What side of the house has the restrooms?

    A: Left side.

    STONG SIDE!!

    I’ll go with The Express to round out my top 3.

    The movie Friday Night Lights is awful, but the tv show is fantastic.

    @ibleedbrown said:

    I was getting there, Draft Day really is one of my favorites. I get all weepy when the pick is finally announced. It’s really pathetic.

    Remember the Titans is up there for me. Does anyone else do that thing where if someone around you during any conversation says “left side”, l immediately scream “STRONG SIDE!” It’s a gag at parties.

    Q: What side of the house has the restrooms?

    A: Left side.

    STONG SIDE!!

    I’ll go with The Express to round out my top 3.

    The movie Friday Night Lights is awful, but the tv show is fantastic.

    ? I know what you mean about the Friday Night Lights series being way better than the movie.  Billy Bob Thornton portraying a Head Coach for a high school football program in Texas is just as outrageous as Jed Clampett moving the family to Beverly Hills.  

  • What's your top three favorite football movies? 

    I gotta go with Rudy (easily), Brian's Song and the original The Longest Yard, which barely edges out Remember the Titans.  

    @dutch-oven said:

    What's your top three favorite football movies? 

    I gotta go with Rudy (easily), Brian's Song and the original The Longest Yard, which barely edges out Remember the Titans.  

    You know what else makes a football movie good?  The setting of the story and the soundtrack/musical choices within the movie for the era the story took place in.  That's what makes 'Remember the Titans' stand out to me back in a time when breaking the trend of segregation was supposed to be an absolute no no.  The movie captured the inevitable racial/cultural turbulence confronting the kids, coaches and community.  Loved hearing the Hollies and Cat Stevens songs at just the right time...