Skip to content

Off Topic But Fun: Favorite Football Movies

The Browns Board
64 15 2.4k 1
  • sydS syd

    @yorkie-going-tot-dogs said:

    Yes there's some brilliant stuff on Youtube, Mini documentaries, pod casts and highlight shows. The on bike camera footage is a particular favorite of mine.  

    sports that used to be free (A Big Fuck You To NBC) You now have to pay for. La Tour Da France and a lot of the Olympic Games will  be on nbc's pay station peecock

    edit: I believe there was a nfl game last year on fucking peecock that we had to pay for. And that fucking shill dan patrick applauded it, Fucker, I hate  that  dude

    Y Yorkie going tot dogs wrote on last edited by
    #55

    @syd said:

    sports that used to be free (A Big Fuck You To NBC) You now have to pay for. La Tour Da France and a lot of the Olympic will  be on nbc's pay station peecock

    As daft as it sounds, one of the Tour Stages started in York in 2014, it snaked through the city center before heading up to my side of the city and I managed to get some  good photos of the top riders as they passed on the main road near my house. It was only a procession at this point, they started racing once they reached the country side. They regularly start the Tour de France outside France and ours was one of three stages in England that year.

  • @syd said:

    sports that used to be free (A Big Fuck You To NBC) You now have to pay for. La Tour Da France and a lot of the Olympic will  be on nbc's pay station peecock

    As daft as it sounds, one of the Tour Stages started in York in 2014, it snaked through the city center before heading up to my side of the city and I managed to get some  good photos of the top riders as they passed on the main road near my house. It was only a procession at this point, they started racing once they reached the country side. They regularly start the Tour de France outside France and ours was one of three stages in England that year.

    sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #56

    @yorkie-going-tot-dogs said:

    As daft as it sounds, one of the Tour Stages started in York in 2014, it snaked through the city center before heading up to my side of the city and I managed to get some  good photos of the top riders as they passed on the main road near my house. It was only a procession at this point, they started racing once they reached the country side. They regularly start the Tour de France outside France and ours was one of three stages in England that year.

    cool as hell I would have watched if I was there (i used to long distance bike ride) but it was flat LOL. No Mountains

    So There was Hellfest 4 day concert. Then The La Tour and end's up  with the Olympics. A very cool couple of months

  • Kind of surprised that no one mentioned 'Draft Day'. 

    Pretty unrealistic, but entertaining anyways. 

    IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
    #57

    @dutch-oven said:

    Kind of surprised that no one mentioned 'Draft Day'. 

    Pretty unrealistic, but entertaining anyways. 

    I was getting there, Draft Day really is one of my favorites. I get all weepy when the pick is finally announced. It’s really pathetic.

    Remember the Titans is up there for me. Does anyone else do that thing where if someone around you during any conversation says “left side”, l immediately scream “STRONG SIDE!” It’s a gag at parties.

    Q: What side of the house has the restrooms?

    A: Left side.

    STONG SIDE!!

    I’ll go with The Express to round out my top 3.

    The movie Friday Night Lights is awful, but the tv show is fantastic.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Kind of surprised that no one mentioned 'Draft Day'. 

    Pretty unrealistic, but entertaining anyways. 

    I was getting there, Draft Day really is one of my favorites. I get all weepy when the pick is finally announced. It’s really pathetic.

    Remember the Titans is up there for me. Does anyone else do that thing where if someone around you during any conversation says “left side”, l immediately scream “STRONG SIDE!” It’s a gag at parties.

    Q: What side of the house has the restrooms?

    A: Left side.

    STONG SIDE!!

    I’ll go with The Express to round out my top 3.

    The movie Friday Night Lights is awful, but the tv show is fantastic.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #58

    @ibleedbrown said:

    The movie Friday Night Lights is awful, but the tv show is fantastic.

    The book is so damn good, but I agree, I didn't care for the movie either.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Kind of surprised that no one mentioned 'Draft Day'. 

    Pretty unrealistic, but entertaining anyways. 

    I was getting there, Draft Day really is one of my favorites. I get all weepy when the pick is finally announced. It’s really pathetic.

    Remember the Titans is up there for me. Does anyone else do that thing where if someone around you during any conversation says “left side”, l immediately scream “STRONG SIDE!” It’s a gag at parties.

    Q: What side of the house has the restrooms?

    A: Left side.

    STONG SIDE!!

    I’ll go with The Express to round out my top 3.

    The movie Friday Night Lights is awful, but the tv show is fantastic.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #59

    @ibleedbrown said:

    I was getting there, Draft Day really is one of my favorites. I get all weepy when the pick is finally announced. It’s really pathetic.

    Remember the Titans is up there for me. Does anyone else do that thing where if someone around you during any conversation says “left side”, l immediately scream “STRONG SIDE!” It’s a gag at parties.

    Q: What side of the house has the restrooms?

    A: Left side.

    STONG SIDE!!

    I’ll go with The Express to round out my top 3.

    The movie Friday Night Lights is awful, but the tv show is fantastic.

    ? I know what you mean about the Friday Night Lights series being way better than the movie.  Billy Bob Thornton portraying a Head Coach for a high school football program in Texas is just as outrageous as Jed Clampett moving the family to Beverly Hills.  

  • What's your top three favorite football movies? 

    I gotta go with Rudy (easily), Brian's Song and the original The Longest Yard, which barely edges out Remember the Titans.  

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #60

    @dutch-oven said:

    What's your top three favorite football movies? 

    I gotta go with Rudy (easily), Brian's Song and the original The Longest Yard, which barely edges out Remember the Titans.  

    You know what else makes a football movie good?  The setting of the story and the soundtrack/musical choices within the movie for the era the story took place in.  That's what makes 'Remember the Titans' stand out to me back in a time when breaking the trend of segregation was supposed to be an absolute no no.  The movie captured the inevitable racial/cultural turbulence confronting the kids, coaches and community.  Loved hearing the Hollies and Cat Stevens songs at just the right time...

  • Best Sport documentary, is Closer to the Edge about the Isle of Man TT races. This short clip covers two big crashes, Connor Cummins flips over a wall doing over 150 mph and was back racing two years later after breaking his back in five places, dislocating his knee and breaking one of his arms. And Guy Martin managed to kick himself off his bike before it hit the wall and exploded. The fire ball scenes are right at the end of this clip. This is the maddest Motor race on the planet and this short clip shows you why. Was talking to an old boy in Houston who's a big fan of this event which surprised me as I didn't think it would be known of in USA.

    sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #61

    @yorkie-going-tot-dogs said:

    Best Sport documentary, is Closer to the Edge about the Isle of Man TT races. This short clip covers two big crashes, Connor Cummins flips over a wall doing over 150 mph and was back racing two years later after breaking his back in five places, dislocating his knee and breaking one of his arms. And Guy Martin managed to kick himself off his bike before it hit the wall and exploded. The fire ball scenes are right at the end of this clip. This is the maddest Motor race on the planet and this short clip shows you why. Was talking to an old boy in Houston who's a big fan of this event which surprised me as I didn't think it would be known of in USA.

    if I heard correctly. The winner of today's stage at The La Tour. Was from The Isle Of Man, Strange coincidence

  • @ibleedbrown said:

    I was getting there, Draft Day really is one of my favorites. I get all weepy when the pick is finally announced. It’s really pathetic.

    Remember the Titans is up there for me. Does anyone else do that thing where if someone around you during any conversation says “left side”, l immediately scream “STRONG SIDE!” It’s a gag at parties.

    Q: What side of the house has the restrooms?

    A: Left side.

    STONG SIDE!!

    I’ll go with The Express to round out my top 3.

    The movie Friday Night Lights is awful, but the tv show is fantastic.

    ? I know what you mean about the Friday Night Lights series being way better than the movie.  Billy Bob Thornton portraying a Head Coach for a high school football program in Texas is just as outrageous as Jed Clampett moving the family to Beverly Hills.  

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #62

    @flugel said:

    ? I know what you mean about the Friday Night Lights series being way better than the movie.  Billy Bob Thornton portraying a Head Coach for a high school football program in Texas is just as outrageous as Jed Clampett moving the family to Beverly Hills.  

    That and the goddamn "shaky handheld camera" cinematography that literally made me want to hurl at the movie theater... 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    What's your top three favorite football movies? 

    I gotta go with Rudy (easily), Brian's Song and the original The Longest Yard, which barely edges out Remember the Titans.  

    You know what else makes a football movie good?  The setting of the story and the soundtrack/musical choices within the movie for the era the story took place in.  That's what makes 'Remember the Titans' stand out to me back in a time when breaking the trend of segregation was supposed to be an absolute no no.  The movie captured the inevitable racial/cultural turbulence confronting the kids, coaches and community.  Loved hearing the Hollies and Cat Stevens songs at just the right time...

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #63

    @flugel said:

    You know what else makes a football movie good?  The setting of the story and the soundtrack/musical choices within the movie for the era the story took place in.  That's what makes 'Remember the Titans' stand out to me back in a time when breaking the trend of segregation was supposed to be an absolute no no.  The movie captured the inevitable racial/cultural turbulence confronting the kids, coaches and community.  Loved hearing the Hollies and Cat Stevens songs at just the right time...

    Are you still allowed to watch that movie since you live in Florida? ?

  • sydS syd

    @yorkie-going-tot-dogs said:

    Best Sport documentary, is Closer to the Edge about the Isle of Man TT races. This short clip covers two big crashes, Connor Cummins flips over a wall doing over 150 mph and was back racing two years later after breaking his back in five places, dislocating his knee and breaking one of his arms. And Guy Martin managed to kick himself off his bike before it hit the wall and exploded. The fire ball scenes are right at the end of this clip. This is the maddest Motor race on the planet and this short clip shows you why. Was talking to an old boy in Houston who's a big fan of this event which surprised me as I didn't think it would be known of in USA.

    if I heard correctly. The winner of today's stage at The La Tour. Was from The Isle Of Man, Strange coincidence

    Y Yorkie going tot dogs wrote on last edited by
    #64

    @syd said:

    if I heard correctly. The winner of today's stage at The La Tour. Was from The Isle Of Man, Strange coincidence

    Yes Mark Cavendish broke the number of stage wins record held by Eddie Merxs. It's a brilliant story considering it looked like his career was over a few years back. I enjoy watching the tour highlights but I've not had chance as I'm working afternoon shift. It was very well received when it came to Yorkshire, 30000 people were watching from Holme Moss which is a steep climb in the pennines and made it look like a stage in the alps. Seen some brilliant photos of it in Yorkshire one particular of the peleton doing the climb up Haworth high street (town made famous by the Bronte sisters) hundreds of riders crammed on this narrow road between the old stone houses.