The State of the 2024 Browns: Offensive Line
-
So Flugel, tiamat63 and I have decided to start a new series on this forum, where we dissect the Browns by position group. One of us will take a position group (or two) every week, and we'll get into the nitty and/or gritty of the unit. We'll end it with a Q and A section, and we hope you guys add your two cents! Feel free to agree or argue our findings, or answer the Q and A section yourselves! Let's get into what has been the strength of the Browns in the Kevin Stefanski Era: The Offensive Line.
Starters: The Offensive Line has been pivotal in the two playoff seasons the Browns have enjoyed in the last four, but OLine Coaching Legend Bill Callahan has moved on, joining his son Brian in Tennessee. New OLine Coach Andy Dickerson actually coached under Bill Callahan years ago, and comes from Seattle with years as the top OLine Coach. Moving from Callahan to Dickerson in many ways could be the beginning of a position group in transition, for this OLine may look very different in a season or two. Starting with LT Jedrick Wills, he joined the team in 2020 as their first round pick and showed promise as Joe Thomas' successor, but he's either plateaud since then, or even regressed. He's on his fifth year option. LG Joel Bitonio, on the other hand, could possibly join Joe Thomas in Canton. He's been a Pro Bowler for the last six seasons, but Father Time is undefeated, and he will be entering his eleventh season. C Ethan Pocic has been a very solid pickup by the Browns, he grabbed the starting position when Nick Harris went down with a 2022 training camp injury and never gave it back. He's entering his eighth season, and is on a very team-friendly contract for this season and next. RG Wyatt Teller also is a free agent after next season, and while he battles the injury bug from time to time, he's gone to three straight Pro-Bowlers. He's also entering his seventh NFL season. RT Jack Conklin is entering his ninth season in the NFL, and his fifth with the Browns. Unfortunately, he's missed significant amount of time in two of his last three seasons.
Reserves: We start with the Giant from Ohio State, OT Dawand Jones, who stepped in for Conklin and IMO played surprisingly well for what was described as a "raw" rookie. In the third round, the Browns drafted OG Zak Zinter from some undisclosed university, who is coming off a pretty bad injury he suffered in late November. Michael Dunn is back, he's a solid depth guy who has made six starts in his time in Cleveland since 2020. Also returning is James Hudson, entering his fourth and final season of his rookie contract, who has seven career starts with the Browns at tackle. A similar player, Hakeem Adeniji, has twice the amount of starts in his career with Cincinnati. At backup center, veteran Brian Allen from the LA Rams is a new addition, he brings plenty of experience (32 starts) and will battle with Luke Wypler, the ex-Buckeye who was a sixth round pick last season. Rounding out the reserves is experienced veteran Germain Ifedi, with 83 career starts, almost exclusively at tackle, and rookie Javion Cohen, undrafted from the University of Miami.
So naturally, I have questions regarding this group entering the 2024 season.
1. What is the strength of the Browns OLine? This one is an easy one, it's the interior. Bitonio, Pocic and Teller make up one of the top interior OLines in the NFL. They are talented and experienced, and all and all can be depended upon to be able to suit up on GameDay. Another strength is the depth at tackle, there is talent and experience backing up Wills and Conklin.
2. What is the weakness of the Browns OLine? The four starters outside of left tackle are collectively entering their seventh, eighth, ninth and eleventh seasons. Wills, entering his fifth, probably will not play his sixth with the Browns, unless something randomly just clicks with him. Also, beyond Dawand Jones, what backup can we look at today and say: Yep, THAT guy is an eventual heir apparent to replace a current starter? This OLine has been the glue of this team during the Stefanski Era, but it could get very old, very quick if the Browns aren't careful.
3. So let's address the elephant in the room: How does Dawand Jones not start at one of the tackle positions? Well tickle me with a feather and call me Susan, but I have no idea. How does Jones not start over Jack Conklin, who has turned into Mr. Glass? How do the Browns not try to upgrade over a painfully mediocre Jed Wills on the left side? I never thought he'd be able to pull off starting at right tackle his rookie season honestly, now I'm actually thinking he could be Wills' replacement at left tackle? Well, on one good leg, he came in on passing downs vs the Steelers and shut down the greatest defensive end that has ever lived, the one, the only, T.J. Watt. I can't fathom Wills playing well enough to keep Jones on the bench or Conklin staying healthy for an entire or even most of a season.
4. What veteran is on the bubble to make the team? Here's where I wish I had Unsympathetic's grasp of the salary cap, because I'm not sure if the Browns could feasibly move on from Conklin. I don't think the Browns would pick up the fifth year option on Wills to just cut him. Perhaps James Hudson could be the odd man out in the backup tackle spot?
5. What young backup could potentially become a starter? Well Dawand Jones, obviously. The question isn't if he can be a full-time starter, it is where he ends up. But, there is one thing to consider regarding Jones - we were all pretty happy with Jedrick Wills after his rookie season too. I think the James Hudson progressing into a starter boat has sailed, he might be a training camp casualty or on another team come this time next year. Zinter is an intriguing prospect, but he's somewhat behind the proverbial eight ball coming off a pretty tough late season injury. I'm sure the Browns are optimistic that he's the eventual replacement for either Bitonio or Teller at guard. Luke Wypler honestly reminds me of Nick Harris, and I question if he's anything more than a fringe backup. The Browns need to invest in young OLinemen, which leads me to my last question...
6. Is this position group potentially one that the Browns could use a first rounder on in the next NFL Draft? Oh yes, for the many reasons I already pointed out. Jones is a starter in waiting, but Conklin is nearing the end and Wills most likely isn't long for the Browns. A tackle in the first round wouldn't shock me. If the Browns draft late in Round 1, possibly (but not probably) they could draft a guard, but I wouldn't put money on the Browns investing a first rounder on a guard. Definitely would be shocked if they took a center that high.
Well folks, what do you think? Feel free to argue my points, or answer the questions posted. Have a question to answer on your own? Let's hear it!
-
-
So Flugel, tiamat63 and I have decided to start a new series on this forum, where we dissect the Browns by position group. One of us will take a position group (or two) every week, and we'll get into the nitty and/or gritty of the unit. We'll end it with a Q and A section, and we hope you guys add your two cents! Feel free to agree or argue our findings, or answer the Q and A section yourselves! Let's get into what has been the strength of the Browns in the Kevin Stefanski Era: The Offensive Line.
Starters: The Offensive Line has been pivotal in the two playoff seasons the Browns have enjoyed in the last four, but OLine Coaching Legend Bill Callahan has moved on, joining his son Brian in Tennessee. New OLine Coach Andy Dickerson actually coached under Bill Callahan years ago, and comes from Seattle with years as the top OLine Coach. Moving from Callahan to Dickerson in many ways could be the beginning of a position group in transition, for this OLine may look very different in a season or two. Starting with LT Jedrick Wills, he joined the team in 2020 as their first round pick and showed promise as Joe Thomas' successor, but he's either plateaud since then, or even regressed. He's on his fifth year option. LG Joel Bitonio, on the other hand, could possibly join Joe Thomas in Canton. He's been a Pro Bowler for the last six seasons, but Father Time is undefeated, and he will be entering his eleventh season. C Ethan Pocic has been a very solid pickup by the Browns, he grabbed the starting position when Nick Harris went down with a 2022 training camp injury and never gave it back. He's entering his eighth season, and is on a very team-friendly contract for this season and next. RG Wyatt Teller also is a free agent after next season, and while he battles the injury bug from time to time, he's gone to three straight Pro-Bowlers. He's also entering his seventh NFL season. RT Jack Conklin is entering his ninth season in the NFL, and his fifth with the Browns. Unfortunately, he's missed significant amount of time in two of his last three seasons.
Reserves: We start with the Giant from Ohio State, OT Dawand Jones, who stepped in for Conklin and IMO played surprisingly well for what was described as a "raw" rookie. In the third round, the Browns drafted OG Zak Zinter from some undisclosed university, who is coming off a pretty bad injury he suffered in late November. Michael Dunn is back, he's a solid depth guy who has made six starts in his time in Cleveland since 2020. Also returning is James Hudson, entering his fourth and final season of his rookie contract, who has seven career starts with the Browns at tackle. A similar player, Hakeem Adeniji, has twice the amount of starts in his career with Cincinnati. At backup center, veteran Brian Allen from the LA Rams is a new addition, he brings plenty of experience (32 starts) and will battle with Luke Wypler, the ex-Buckeye who was a sixth round pick last season. Rounding out the reserves is experienced veteran Germain Ifedi, with 83 career starts, almost exclusively at tackle, and rookie Javion Cohen, undrafted from the University of Miami.
So naturally, I have questions regarding this group entering the 2024 season.
1. What is the strength of the Browns OLine? This one is an easy one, it's the interior. Bitonio, Pocic and Teller make up one of the top interior OLines in the NFL. They are talented and experienced, and all and all can be depended upon to be able to suit up on GameDay. Another strength is the depth at tackle, there is talent and experience backing up Wills and Conklin.
2. What is the weakness of the Browns OLine? The four starters outside of left tackle are collectively entering their seventh, eighth, ninth and eleventh seasons. Wills, entering his fifth, probably will not play his sixth with the Browns, unless something randomly just clicks with him. Also, beyond Dawand Jones, what backup can we look at today and say: Yep, THAT guy is an eventual heir apparent to replace a current starter? This OLine has been the glue of this team during the Stefanski Era, but it could get very old, very quick if the Browns aren't careful.
3. So let's address the elephant in the room: How does Dawand Jones not start at one of the tackle positions? Well tickle me with a feather and call me Susan, but I have no idea. How does Jones not start over Jack Conklin, who has turned into Mr. Glass? How do the Browns not try to upgrade over a painfully mediocre Jed Wills on the left side? I never thought he'd be able to pull off starting at right tackle his rookie season honestly, now I'm actually thinking he could be Wills' replacement at left tackle? Well, on one good leg, he came in on passing downs vs the Steelers and shut down the greatest defensive end that has ever lived, the one, the only, T.J. Watt. I can't fathom Wills playing well enough to keep Jones on the bench or Conklin staying healthy for an entire or even most of a season.
4. What veteran is on the bubble to make the team? Here's where I wish I had Unsympathetic's grasp of the salary cap, because I'm not sure if the Browns could feasibly move on from Conklin. I don't think the Browns would pick up the fifth year option on Wills to just cut him. Perhaps James Hudson could be the odd man out in the backup tackle spot?
5. What young backup could potentially become a starter? Well Dawand Jones, obviously. The question isn't if he can be a full-time starter, it is where he ends up. But, there is one thing to consider regarding Jones - we were all pretty happy with Jedrick Wills after his rookie season too. I think the James Hudson progressing into a starter boat has sailed, he might be a training camp casualty or on another team come this time next year. Zinter is an intriguing prospect, but he's somewhat behind the proverbial eight ball coming off a pretty tough late season injury. I'm sure the Browns are optimistic that he's the eventual replacement for either Bitonio or Teller at guard. Luke Wypler honestly reminds me of Nick Harris, and I question if he's anything more than a fringe backup. The Browns need to invest in young OLinemen, which leads me to my last question...
6. Is this position group potentially one that the Browns could use a first rounder on in the next NFL Draft? Oh yes, for the many reasons I already pointed out. Jones is a starter in waiting, but Conklin is nearing the end and Wills most likely isn't long for the Browns. A tackle in the first round wouldn't shock me. If the Browns draft late in Round 1, possibly (but not probably) they could draft a guard, but I wouldn't put money on the Browns investing a first rounder on a guard. Definitely would be shocked if they took a center that high.
Well folks, what do you think? Feel free to argue my points, or answer the questions posted. Have a question to answer on your own? Let's hear it!
what do you think?
that I hope I am wrong that Chubb can't come back from injury and that we will not be able to run the ball effectively. I have no faith at all in Ford or the others.
-
what do you think?
that I hope I am wrong that Chubb can't come back from injury and that we will not be able to run the ball effectively. I have no faith at all in Ford or the others.
that I hope I am wrong that Chubb can't come back from injury and that we will not be able to run the ball effectively. I have no faith at all in Ford or the others.
Well this comment is probably better for the RBs installment coming up soon, but I think with the assortment of RBs we have we'll make do. (I hope)
-
that I hope I am wrong that Chubb can't come back from injury and that we will not be able to run the ball effectively. I have no faith at all in Ford or the others.
Well this comment is probably better for the RBs installment coming up soon, but I think with the assortment of RBs we have we'll make do. (I hope)
Well this comment is probably better for the RBs installment coming up soon, but I think with the assortment of RBs we have we'll make do. (I hope)
Yes and No, I believe are O - Line had been set up to run the ball than to pass protect, This is before we got Watson, So do you think this O-Line is able to protect Watson as he moves around in the back field to extend plays ? or just to move those fat ass's off the los to get some rushing yards ?
-
Well this comment is probably better for the RBs installment coming up soon, but I think with the assortment of RBs we have we'll make do. (I hope)
Yes and No, I believe are O - Line had been set up to run the ball than to pass protect, This is before we got Watson, So do you think this O-Line is able to protect Watson as he moves around in the back field to extend plays ? or just to move those fat ass's off the los to get some rushing yards ?
Yes and No, I believe are O - Line had been set up to run the ball than to pass protect, This is before we got Watson, So do you think this O-Line is able to protect Watson as he moves around in the back field to extend plays ?
Well,at tackle Conklin has missed a ton of games two of the last three seasons, we'll see how he's recovered again. Wills is pretty average as a pass blocker. Jones looked good, but like Conklin and Wills, finished the season on the Injured List. Their collective health is a big question mark.
But I have a feeling the Browns will be running a lot of quicker, three step passes. RPO fake a run left, throw quickly to the right stuff. Misdirection. Make the opposing team worry about defending sideline to sideline... basically stuff to keep the defense honest, and not allow them to pin their ears back and go after Watson.
-
I don't have anything to add to your OL evaluation. But I do think that the organization (Jimmuh & DePo) want to be explosive. Four yards and a cloud of dust is not their mantra. So I think that Syd's question about the OL's ability to pass protect is a good one. New OL coach means a learning curve.
Obviously the OL is getting old...but they've started the rejuvenating process with Zinter and I expect that to continue.
...and I have my doubts about having Chubb available early in the season. But they've brought in Foreman to pound the ball in Chubb's absence.
-
So Flugel, tiamat63 and I have decided to start a new series on this forum, where we dissect the Browns by position group. One of us will take a position group (or two) every week, and we'll get into the nitty and/or gritty of the unit. We'll end it with a Q and A section, and we hope you guys add your two cents! Feel free to agree or argue our findings, or answer the Q and A section yourselves! Let's get into what has been the strength of the Browns in the Kevin Stefanski Era: The Offensive Line.
Starters: The Offensive Line has been pivotal in the two playoff seasons the Browns have enjoyed in the last four, but OLine Coaching Legend Bill Callahan has moved on, joining his son Brian in Tennessee. New OLine Coach Andy Dickerson actually coached under Bill Callahan years ago, and comes from Seattle with years as the top OLine Coach. Moving from Callahan to Dickerson in many ways could be the beginning of a position group in transition, for this OLine may look very different in a season or two. Starting with LT Jedrick Wills, he joined the team in 2020 as their first round pick and showed promise as Joe Thomas' successor, but he's either plateaud since then, or even regressed. He's on his fifth year option. LG Joel Bitonio, on the other hand, could possibly join Joe Thomas in Canton. He's been a Pro Bowler for the last six seasons, but Father Time is undefeated, and he will be entering his eleventh season. C Ethan Pocic has been a very solid pickup by the Browns, he grabbed the starting position when Nick Harris went down with a 2022 training camp injury and never gave it back. He's entering his eighth season, and is on a very team-friendly contract for this season and next. RG Wyatt Teller also is a free agent after next season, and while he battles the injury bug from time to time, he's gone to three straight Pro-Bowlers. He's also entering his seventh NFL season. RT Jack Conklin is entering his ninth season in the NFL, and his fifth with the Browns. Unfortunately, he's missed significant amount of time in two of his last three seasons.
Reserves: We start with the Giant from Ohio State, OT Dawand Jones, who stepped in for Conklin and IMO played surprisingly well for what was described as a "raw" rookie. In the third round, the Browns drafted OG Zak Zinter from some undisclosed university, who is coming off a pretty bad injury he suffered in late November. Michael Dunn is back, he's a solid depth guy who has made six starts in his time in Cleveland since 2020. Also returning is James Hudson, entering his fourth and final season of his rookie contract, who has seven career starts with the Browns at tackle. A similar player, Hakeem Adeniji, has twice the amount of starts in his career with Cincinnati. At backup center, veteran Brian Allen from the LA Rams is a new addition, he brings plenty of experience (32 starts) and will battle with Luke Wypler, the ex-Buckeye who was a sixth round pick last season. Rounding out the reserves is experienced veteran Germain Ifedi, with 83 career starts, almost exclusively at tackle, and rookie Javion Cohen, undrafted from the University of Miami.
So naturally, I have questions regarding this group entering the 2024 season.
1. What is the strength of the Browns OLine? This one is an easy one, it's the interior. Bitonio, Pocic and Teller make up one of the top interior OLines in the NFL. They are talented and experienced, and all and all can be depended upon to be able to suit up on GameDay. Another strength is the depth at tackle, there is talent and experience backing up Wills and Conklin.
2. What is the weakness of the Browns OLine? The four starters outside of left tackle are collectively entering their seventh, eighth, ninth and eleventh seasons. Wills, entering his fifth, probably will not play his sixth with the Browns, unless something randomly just clicks with him. Also, beyond Dawand Jones, what backup can we look at today and say: Yep, THAT guy is an eventual heir apparent to replace a current starter? This OLine has been the glue of this team during the Stefanski Era, but it could get very old, very quick if the Browns aren't careful.
3. So let's address the elephant in the room: How does Dawand Jones not start at one of the tackle positions? Well tickle me with a feather and call me Susan, but I have no idea. How does Jones not start over Jack Conklin, who has turned into Mr. Glass? How do the Browns not try to upgrade over a painfully mediocre Jed Wills on the left side? I never thought he'd be able to pull off starting at right tackle his rookie season honestly, now I'm actually thinking he could be Wills' replacement at left tackle? Well, on one good leg, he came in on passing downs vs the Steelers and shut down the greatest defensive end that has ever lived, the one, the only, T.J. Watt. I can't fathom Wills playing well enough to keep Jones on the bench or Conklin staying healthy for an entire or even most of a season.
4. What veteran is on the bubble to make the team? Here's where I wish I had Unsympathetic's grasp of the salary cap, because I'm not sure if the Browns could feasibly move on from Conklin. I don't think the Browns would pick up the fifth year option on Wills to just cut him. Perhaps James Hudson could be the odd man out in the backup tackle spot?
5. What young backup could potentially become a starter? Well Dawand Jones, obviously. The question isn't if he can be a full-time starter, it is where he ends up. But, there is one thing to consider regarding Jones - we were all pretty happy with Jedrick Wills after his rookie season too. I think the James Hudson progressing into a starter boat has sailed, he might be a training camp casualty or on another team come this time next year. Zinter is an intriguing prospect, but he's somewhat behind the proverbial eight ball coming off a pretty tough late season injury. I'm sure the Browns are optimistic that he's the eventual replacement for either Bitonio or Teller at guard. Luke Wypler honestly reminds me of Nick Harris, and I question if he's anything more than a fringe backup. The Browns need to invest in young OLinemen, which leads me to my last question...
6. Is this position group potentially one that the Browns could use a first rounder on in the next NFL Draft? Oh yes, for the many reasons I already pointed out. Jones is a starter in waiting, but Conklin is nearing the end and Wills most likely isn't long for the Browns. A tackle in the first round wouldn't shock me. If the Browns draft late in Round 1, possibly (but not probably) they could draft a guard, but I wouldn't put money on the Browns investing a first rounder on a guard. Definitely would be shocked if they took a center that high.
Well folks, what do you think? Feel free to argue my points, or answer the questions posted. Have a question to answer on your own? Let's hear it!
So Flugel, tiamat63 and I have decided to start a new series on this forum, where we dissect the Browns by position group. One of us will take a position group (or two) every week, and we'll get into the nitty and/or gritty of the unit. We'll end it with a Q and A section, and we hope you guys add your two cents! Feel free to agree or argue our findings, or answer the Q and A section yourselves! Let's get into what has been the strength of the Browns in the Kevin Stefanski Era: The Offensive Line.
Starters: The Offensive Line has been pivotal in the two playoff seasons the Browns have enjoyed in the last four, but OLine Coaching Legend Bill Callahan has moved on, joining his son Brian in Tennessee. New OLine Coach Andy Dickerson actually coached under Bill Callahan years ago, and comes from Seattle with years as the top OLine Coach. Moving from Callahan to Dickerson in many ways could be the beginning of a position group in transition, for this OLine may look very different in a season or two. Starting with LT Jedrick Wills, he joined the team in 2020 as their first round pick and showed promise as Joe Thomas' successor, but he's either plateaud since then, or even regressed. He's on his fifth year option. LG Joel Bitonio, on the other hand, could possibly join Joe Thomas in Canton. He's been a Pro Bowler for the last six seasons, but Father Time is undefeated, and he will be entering his eleventh season. C Ethan Pocic has been a very solid pickup by the Browns, he grabbed the starting position when Nick Harris went down with a 2022 training camp injury and never gave it back. He's entering his eighth season, and is on a very team-friendly contract for this season and next. RG Wyatt Teller also is a free agent after next season, and while he battles the injury bug from time to time, he's gone to three straight Pro-Bowlers. He's also entering his seventh NFL season. RT Jack Conklin is entering his ninth season in the NFL, and his fifth with the Browns. Unfortunately, he's missed significant amount of time in two of his last three seasons.
Reserves: We start with the Giant from Ohio State, OT Dawand Jones, who stepped in for Conklin and IMO played surprisingly well for what was described as a "raw" rookie. In the third round, the Browns drafted OG Zak Zinter from some undisclosed university, who is coming off a pretty bad injury he suffered in late November. Michael Dunn is back, he's a solid depth guy who has made six starts in his time in Cleveland since 2020. Also returning is James Hudson, entering his fourth and final season of his rookie contract, who has seven career starts with the Browns at tackle. A similar player, Hakeem Adeniji, has twice the amount of starts in his career with Cincinnati. At backup center, veteran Brian Allen from the LA Rams is a new addition, he brings plenty of experience (32 starts) and will battle with Luke Wypler, the ex-Buckeye who was a sixth round pick last season. Rounding out the reserves is experienced veteran Germain Ifedi, with 83 career starts, almost exclusively at tackle, and rookie Javion Cohen, undrafted from the University of Miami.
So naturally, I have questions regarding this group entering the 2024 season.
1. What is the strength of the Browns OLine? This one is an easy one, it's the interior. Bitonio, Pocic and Teller make up one of the top interior OLines in the NFL. They are talented and experienced, and all and all can be depended upon to be able to suit up on GameDay. Another strength is the depth at tackle, there is talent and experience backing up Wills and Conklin.
2. What is the weakness of the Browns OLine? The four starters outside of left tackle are collectively entering their seventh, eighth, ninth and eleventh seasons. Wills, entering his fifth, probably will not play his sixth with the Browns, unless something randomly just clicks with him. Also, beyond Dawand Jones, what backup can we look at today and say: Yep, THAT guy is an eventual heir apparent to replace a current starter? This OLine has been the glue of this team during the Stefanski Era, but it could get very old, very quick if the Browns aren't careful.
3. So let's address the elephant in the room: How does Dawand Jones not start at one of the tackle positions? Well tickle me with a feather and call me Susan, but I have no idea. How does Jones not start over Jack Conklin, who has turned into Mr. Glass? How do the Browns not try to upgrade over a painfully mediocre Jed Wills on the left side? I never thought he'd be able to pull off starting at right tackle his rookie season honestly, now I'm actually thinking he could be Wills' replacement at left tackle? Well, on one good leg, he came in on passing downs vs the Steelers and shut down the greatest defensive end that has ever lived, the one, the only, T.J. Watt. I can't fathom Wills playing well enough to keep Jones on the bench or Conklin staying healthy for an entire or even most of a season.
4. What veteran is on the bubble to make the team? Here's where I wish I had Unsympathetic's grasp of the salary cap, because I'm not sure if the Browns could feasibly move on from Conklin. I don't think the Browns would pick up the fifth year option on Wills to just cut him. Perhaps James Hudson could be the odd man out in the backup tackle spot?
5. What young backup could potentially become a starter? Well Dawand Jones, obviously. The question isn't if he can be a full-time starter, it is where he ends up. But, there is one thing to consider regarding Jones - we were all pretty happy with Jedrick Wills after his rookie season too. I think the James Hudson progressing into a starter boat has sailed, he might be a training camp casualty or on another team come this time next year. Zinter is an intriguing prospect, but he's somewhat behind the proverbial eight ball coming off a pretty tough late season injury. I'm sure the Browns are optimistic that he's the eventual replacement for either Bitonio or Teller at guard. Luke Wypler honestly reminds me of Nick Harris, and I question if he's anything more than a fringe backup. The Browns need to invest in young OLinemen, which leads me to my last question...
6. Is this position group potentially one that the Browns could use a first rounder on in the next NFL Draft? Oh yes, for the many reasons I already pointed out. Jones is a starter in waiting, but Conklin is nearing the end and Wills most likely isn't long for the Browns. A tackle in the first round wouldn't shock me. If the Browns draft late in Round 1, possibly (but not probably) they could draft a guard, but I wouldn't put money on the Browns investing a first rounder on a guard. Definitely would be shocked if they took a center that high.
Well folks, what do you think? Feel free to argue my points, or answer the questions posted. Have a question to answer on your own? Let's hear it!
Thanks for the thorough assessment and well timed humor. I love our talent and depth at Guard. Pocic at Center is solid and so is the depth behind him. Aside from Allen and Wypler - I read Zak Zinter will also be getting reps at Center (like he did at Michigan).
In order to weaponize our running game, we have to hope the 3 tackles we lost to IR with knee injuries last year are back healthy this year. This way, we can also run outside with more consistency and have more reliable pass protection on the edges. The dream would be to see Conklin make it through an entire season healthy while seeing Dawand Jones move to Left Tackle (like a lesser athlete Orlando Browns Jr was able to do at a Pro Bowl level). My guess is that Conklin, Jones and Wills will all start Training Camp on a reduced/restricted volume of reps which would make it a bigger challenge for Jones to change to LT this year. Instead of getting way ahead of myself here, I'll just stick with hoping all 3 of those tackles are healthy; and good things will unfold.
I agree with you Dutch - I could definitely see the Browns drafting a Tackle in the first round of the NFL Draft next year. Hopefully all this got my mind off Syd's depressing prediction for Nick Chubb before I retire to bedlam in a few minutes...
-
Solid assessment and little to argue. @flugel also chimed in well on the Dawand Jones - Orlando Brown comparison as that's something that came to mind.
Here are some thoughts:
1) Pre-injury, Zinter was projected as one of the top interior OL in the 2024 Draft. His play backed up those beliefs. It was a diligent pick.
2. Given the unwanted contrast between the stability of the interior OL and the question marks of the tackle spots, if Conklin can't stay healthy, it might not be a bad idea to see if Wills can play on the right side, where he played in college and put Dawand Jones at LT.
3. My biggest concern, this year we can't say, "Callahan will find a way and a scheme to make this work." That's not lack of trust in Dickerson, it's just an acknowledgment Bill Callahan.
-
For the most part, I'm lock-step with your write up. Which, I know how much time something even like this takes, so well done.
I'll have to continue disagreeing with the Dawand ---> LT ideas though. I've watched DJ play and grow from a liability into a solid player, exclusively on the right side, since his time at tOSU. I don't believe in weakening both tackle spots by having his work to coach his kinetics from one said to the other, just as he was finding his stride before injuries caught up. Much better to have him step in over Conklin, and leave LT as a ? Instead of "this *should* work", while still having a ? At RT.
Zinter is a nice addition who will be brought along slowly and still given meaningful snaps. This to protect his health and to acclimate him to the NFL at the same time. He'll slide into a starting role next season nicely.
-
For the most part, I'm lock-step with your write up. Which, I know how much time something even like this takes, so well done.
I'll have to continue disagreeing with the Dawand ---> LT ideas though. I've watched DJ play and grow from a liability into a solid player, exclusively on the right side, since his time at tOSU. I don't believe in weakening both tackle spots by having his work to coach his kinetics from one said to the other, just as he was finding his stride before injuries caught up. Much better to have him step in over Conklin, and leave LT as a ? Instead of "this *should* work", while still having a ? At RT.
Zinter is a nice addition who will be brought along slowly and still given meaningful snaps. This to protect his health and to acclimate him to the NFL at the same time. He'll slide into a starting role next season nicely.
I'll have to continue disagreeing with the Dawand ---> LT ideas though. I've watched DJ play and grow from a liability into a solid player, exclusively on the right side, since his time at tOSU. I don't believe in weakening both tackle spots by having his work to coach his kinetics from one said to the other, just as he was finding his stride before injuries caught up. Much better to have him step in over Conklin, and leave LT as a ? Instead of "this *should* work", while still having a ? At RT.
Without a doubt I would prefer to keep Dawand on the right side, but I feel he is a possible option at LT.
Not sure how good of an option he'd be long-term though.
-
For the most part, I'm lock-step with your write up. Which, I know how much time something even like this takes, so well done.
I'll have to continue disagreeing with the Dawand ---> LT ideas though. I've watched DJ play and grow from a liability into a solid player, exclusively on the right side, since his time at tOSU. I don't believe in weakening both tackle spots by having his work to coach his kinetics from one said to the other, just as he was finding his stride before injuries caught up. Much better to have him step in over Conklin, and leave LT as a ? Instead of "this *should* work", while still having a ? At RT.
Zinter is a nice addition who will be brought along slowly and still given meaningful snaps. This to protect his health and to acclimate him to the NFL at the same time. He'll slide into a starting role next season nicely.
For the most part, I'm lock-step with your write up. Which, I know how much time something even like this takes, so well done.
I'll have to continue disagreeing with the Dawand ---> LT ideas though. I've watched DJ play and grow from a liability into a solid player, exclusively on the right side, since his time at tOSU. I don't believe in weakening both tackle spots by having his work to coach his kinetics from one said to the other, just as he was finding his stride before injuries caught up. Much better to have him step in over Conklin, and leave LT as a ? Instead of "this *should* work", while still having a ? At RT.
Zinter is a nice addition who will be brought along slowly and still given meaningful snaps. This to protect his health and to acclimate him to the NFL at the same time. He'll slide into a starting role next season nicely.
I don't often thank people for disagreeing with me; but I appreciate your points T.
I doubt they'd consider trying it this year anyway with Wills, Jones and Conklin all coming off season ending knee injuries and surgeries. In 2020, I was starting to think we had a least a few good years ahead at the Offensive Tackle positions. I was wrong! It'll be interesting to see how Conklin, Jones and Wills respond to the challenge ahead...
-
that I hope I am wrong that Chubb can't come back from injury and that we will not be able to run the ball effectively. I have no faith at all in Ford or the others.
Well this comment is probably better for the RBs installment coming up soon, but I think with the assortment of RBs we have we'll make do. (I hope)
Well this comment is probably better for the RBs installment coming up soon, but I think with the assortment of RBs we have we'll make do. (I hope)
Thanks Dutch I have a huge segment on that I'll post on Saturday (or Sunday at the latest) when I preview the Running backs and TEs. The Browns website actually has misinformation on the stats they listed the year following his injury at GA. They actually gave his numbers from the second year after the injury at GA; so I'll get into that when I'm reminding readers WHO he is. Spoiler alert: his 1st year back from injury at GA was equally productive (but it was only from 13 games in 2016 compared to the 15 games in 2017 that they used by accident skewing the numbers higher stating those as his 1st year back production) so if we can wait til Saturday - my research won't be wasted. I've already completed that part about Chubb so I'll get the rest done tonight and very early tomorrow morning. I'll try to get it posted tomorrow morning (Saturday) by morning coffee time with Sunday being my worst case alternative.
While we're still on the Oline - here's a great article from the Browns website focusing on the insights of Wyatt Teller each day at the OTAs.
Wyatt Teller discusses new additions and outlook on the Browns' offensive line
Offensive line welcomes new faces in the coaching staff and rookie Zak Zinter
May 28, 2024 at 05:03 PM
Kelsey RussoStaff Writer
As the Browns' offensive line ran through blocking drills during the first week of organized team activities, they heard a new voice calling out to them in practice.
Offensive line coach Andy Dickerson and assistant offensive line coach Roy Istvan led the drills for their linemen in attendance at OTAs. After joining the Browns' coaching staff in February, they completed their first official set of practices with their new group.
"Coach Andy (Dickerson), he's awesome," G Wyatt Teller said. "He's getting after us, making sure we're running, making sure that we're going to the right places and everything like that. I mean, that doesn't change from coach to coach. It's a little bit of a transition. It's different. But at the end of the day, he learned under Bill (Callahan). So, a lot of his techniques, a lot of his jargon is Bill's stuff."
One of Dickerson's early coaching jobs was with the New York Jets, where he served as a coaching assistant and defensive quality control coach from 2006-08. In 2008, Bill Callahan was hired as an assistant head coach and the offensive line coach, and the two spent the 2008 season together with the Jets. They also crossed paths again during the 2011 season, when Dickerson returned to the Jets as a coaching assistant.
Callahan is now serving as the offensive line coach for the Titans under his son, Bill Callahan, who is the head coach in Tennessee. Teller has received videos from friends of familiar drills they used to run in Cleveland under Callahan – such as ones that involved the heavy bag.
Now, Dickerson is with the Browns as the offensive line coach. Teller said they've watched film from Dickerson's time in Seattle when he served as the offensive line coach from 2022-23 to help understand Dickerson's style. Teller added that even with the initial transition of learning the nuances of a new position coach, the X's and O's of the game stay the same.
"Work's cut out for us," Teller said. "We know we're going to have to work, but we're excited. I think that coach is getting us in the right direction."
Not only are there new faces on the coaching side, but their offensive line also has a new addition in rookie T Zak Zinter – who went through rookie minicamp and his first week of OTAs with the Browns.
Zinter is returning from a season-ending leg injury in 2023. One of the first times he took the field since the injury was during rookie minicamp. Throughout the first week of OTAs, Zinter participated in the O-line drills alongside his new teammates and appeared comfortable in his workouts.
"Great kid," Teller said of Zinter. "My initial thoughts – works hard, coming off an injury, can't tell, which is good. Obviously, he has a little sock over it, but he's tough and I love that. I commend him on that. There's a lot to learn. When I got into the league, I was a fifth-round draft pick, so he's better than me. But he's a great kid and I know he's going to work hard."
Teller also commended Zinter on his openness to learning from the veterans in the room. When Zinter was drafted to the Browns, he understood the situation he was walking into behind Pro-Bowl G Joel Bitonio and Teller. While Zinter may not see an extended reps in his rookie season, he noted the opportunity in front of him to learn the nuances of the league from the veterans.
Yet, Teller also believes there is an opportunity for the veterans to also pick up tidbits from the young players as well.
"Zak (Zinter) being a young guy coming in, kind of learn from the older guys, but also, I could learn something from him," Teller said. "Now usually, I'll learn something like, 'Hey, why do you put your hands like that or that?' And he'll be like, 'Well, sometimes my hip gets open, and I'll go like that.' I'm like, 'Oh, that's a great idea.' You know what I mean? So, there's always stuff you can learn from each other."
The Browns will also have familiar faces returning to their offensive line for the 2024 season. They re-signed G Michael Dunn during free agency. Their three tackles who endured season-ending injuries in 2023 – Dawand Jones, Jedrick Wills Jr. and Jack Conklin – continue to rehab. Jones participated in the non-contact practice of OTAs, while Wills worked off to the side on the field during the second day of OTAs. Conklin also continues to rehab from his season-ending knee injury.
Head coach Kevin Stefanski said on May 22 that all three tackles are progressing well in their rehab but did not have a specific timetable for when all three would be ready to practice.
In the meantime, though, they are continuing with the second week of OTAs and their preparation for veteran minicamp, preseason and the 2024 season.
"This offense, it's going to be – just from the little glimpses, it's potent if we have the right people in the right places," Teller said. "So, I say this every single year, and I'll say it again, if we execute, we're going to be a really hard team to beat."
-
For practically my entire Browns-watching life, it felt like they went out of their way to not put Buckeyes on their roster.
Now they have six.
-
I can see us taking one of the two OSU DE's if this current OL plays up to what they can be injury free. Besides the top 3 OLs will already be gone and a decent OL can be found in Round 2 if needed because the dropoff from top 3 to next 3 puts at least one of those in reach if we are around picks 18-22 each round. Give Myles one of those two guys to make this a truly great D. Both will likely be in that 18-22 range first round I think.
-
yes. they seem to agree with me using Conklin at LT
Veteran tackle Jack Conklin should be the Browns swing tackle in 2024
-
-
yes. they seem to agree with me using Conklin at LT
Veteran tackle Jack Conklin should be the Browns swing tackle in 2024
yes. they seem to agree with me using Conklin at LT
Veteran tackle Jack Conklin should be the Browns swing tackle in 2024
Swing tackle means depth with no choice, in this case. Conklin hasn't seen snaps on that side in almost a decade. I would expect him to be no better an option on the left than Hudson.
-
yes. they seem to agree with me using Conklin at LT
Veteran tackle Jack Conklin should be the Browns swing tackle in 2024
Swing tackle means depth with no choice, in this case. Conklin hasn't seen snaps on that side in almost a decade. I would expect him to be no better an option on the left than Hudson.
Swing tackle means depth with no choice, in this case. Conklin hasn't seen snaps on that side in almost a decade. I would expect him to be no better an option on the left than Hudson.
then what would you suggest ? try to trade him ? cause you know at some point during training camp someone will go down
-
yes. they seem to agree with me using Conklin at LT
Veteran tackle Jack Conklin should be the Browns swing tackle in 2024
Swing tackle means depth with no choice, in this case. Conklin hasn't seen snaps on that side in almost a decade. I would expect him to be no better an option on the left than Hudson.
Swing tackle means depth with no choice, in this case. Conklin hasn't seen snaps on that side in almost a decade. I would expect him to be no better an option on the left than Hudson.
That was a similar reason Bitonio cringed at hearing he might be an option at LT in the past from columnists and fans. That was usually after he committed an off season strength and conditioning program as an OG keeping his weight heavier with plans to face the bigger girths inside. I'm surprised the Browns have neglected such an important position like LT. Planning an offense around that glaring weakness at LT could be a big reason why all these offensive plans we hear about in the off season don't quite meet the expectation. Hopefully, this doesn't blind side all of Dorsey's plans for the Offense in 2024.
The one thing that always returns when Conklin comes back from injury is that he's a GREAT run blocker. As far as we know right now, we have 3 OTs coming back from season ending knee injuries that required surgery. That being the case, the Browns will take their 5th chance at hoping Wills plays like a 10th pick overall. They're also hoping their 4th round pick at RT returns to pre-injury form at RT. It's the Browns so I wouldn't be surprised if we see Conklin starting at some point. Then we have to worry how long he can hold up.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login