The State of the 2024 Browns: Offensive Line
-
For the most part, I'm lock-step with your write up. Which, I know how much time something even like this takes, so well done.
I'll have to continue disagreeing with the Dawand ---> LT ideas though. I've watched DJ play and grow from a liability into a solid player, exclusively on the right side, since his time at tOSU. I don't believe in weakening both tackle spots by having his work to coach his kinetics from one said to the other, just as he was finding his stride before injuries caught up. Much better to have him step in over Conklin, and leave LT as a ? Instead of "this *should* work", while still having a ? At RT.
Zinter is a nice addition who will be brought along slowly and still given meaningful snaps. This to protect his health and to acclimate him to the NFL at the same time. He'll slide into a starting role next season nicely.
I'll have to continue disagreeing with the Dawand ---> LT ideas though. I've watched DJ play and grow from a liability into a solid player, exclusively on the right side, since his time at tOSU. I don't believe in weakening both tackle spots by having his work to coach his kinetics from one said to the other, just as he was finding his stride before injuries caught up. Much better to have him step in over Conklin, and leave LT as a ? Instead of "this *should* work", while still having a ? At RT.
Without a doubt I would prefer to keep Dawand on the right side, but I feel he is a possible option at LT.
Not sure how good of an option he'd be long-term though.
-
For the most part, I'm lock-step with your write up. Which, I know how much time something even like this takes, so well done.
I'll have to continue disagreeing with the Dawand ---> LT ideas though. I've watched DJ play and grow from a liability into a solid player, exclusively on the right side, since his time at tOSU. I don't believe in weakening both tackle spots by having his work to coach his kinetics from one said to the other, just as he was finding his stride before injuries caught up. Much better to have him step in over Conklin, and leave LT as a ? Instead of "this *should* work", while still having a ? At RT.
Zinter is a nice addition who will be brought along slowly and still given meaningful snaps. This to protect his health and to acclimate him to the NFL at the same time. He'll slide into a starting role next season nicely.
For the most part, I'm lock-step with your write up. Which, I know how much time something even like this takes, so well done.
I'll have to continue disagreeing with the Dawand ---> LT ideas though. I've watched DJ play and grow from a liability into a solid player, exclusively on the right side, since his time at tOSU. I don't believe in weakening both tackle spots by having his work to coach his kinetics from one said to the other, just as he was finding his stride before injuries caught up. Much better to have him step in over Conklin, and leave LT as a ? Instead of "this *should* work", while still having a ? At RT.
Zinter is a nice addition who will be brought along slowly and still given meaningful snaps. This to protect his health and to acclimate him to the NFL at the same time. He'll slide into a starting role next season nicely.
I don't often thank people for disagreeing with me; but I appreciate your points T.
I doubt they'd consider trying it this year anyway with Wills, Jones and Conklin all coming off season ending knee injuries and surgeries. In 2020, I was starting to think we had a least a few good years ahead at the Offensive Tackle positions. I was wrong! It'll be interesting to see how Conklin, Jones and Wills respond to the challenge ahead...
-
that I hope I am wrong that Chubb can't come back from injury and that we will not be able to run the ball effectively. I have no faith at all in Ford or the others.
Well this comment is probably better for the RBs installment coming up soon, but I think with the assortment of RBs we have we'll make do. (I hope)
Well this comment is probably better for the RBs installment coming up soon, but I think with the assortment of RBs we have we'll make do. (I hope)
Thanks Dutch I have a huge segment on that I'll post on Saturday (or Sunday at the latest) when I preview the Running backs and TEs. The Browns website actually has misinformation on the stats they listed the year following his injury at GA. They actually gave his numbers from the second year after the injury at GA; so I'll get into that when I'm reminding readers WHO he is. Spoiler alert: his 1st year back from injury at GA was equally productive (but it was only from 13 games in 2016 compared to the 15 games in 2017 that they used by accident skewing the numbers higher stating those as his 1st year back production) so if we can wait til Saturday - my research won't be wasted. I've already completed that part about Chubb so I'll get the rest done tonight and very early tomorrow morning. I'll try to get it posted tomorrow morning (Saturday) by morning coffee time with Sunday being my worst case alternative.
While we're still on the Oline - here's a great article from the Browns website focusing on the insights of Wyatt Teller each day at the OTAs.
Wyatt Teller discusses new additions and outlook on the Browns' offensive line
Offensive line welcomes new faces in the coaching staff and rookie Zak Zinter
May 28, 2024 at 05:03 PM
Kelsey RussoStaff Writer
As the Browns' offensive line ran through blocking drills during the first week of organized team activities, they heard a new voice calling out to them in practice.
Offensive line coach Andy Dickerson and assistant offensive line coach Roy Istvan led the drills for their linemen in attendance at OTAs. After joining the Browns' coaching staff in February, they completed their first official set of practices with their new group.
"Coach Andy (Dickerson), he's awesome," G Wyatt Teller said. "He's getting after us, making sure we're running, making sure that we're going to the right places and everything like that. I mean, that doesn't change from coach to coach. It's a little bit of a transition. It's different. But at the end of the day, he learned under Bill (Callahan). So, a lot of his techniques, a lot of his jargon is Bill's stuff."
One of Dickerson's early coaching jobs was with the New York Jets, where he served as a coaching assistant and defensive quality control coach from 2006-08. In 2008, Bill Callahan was hired as an assistant head coach and the offensive line coach, and the two spent the 2008 season together with the Jets. They also crossed paths again during the 2011 season, when Dickerson returned to the Jets as a coaching assistant.
Callahan is now serving as the offensive line coach for the Titans under his son, Bill Callahan, who is the head coach in Tennessee. Teller has received videos from friends of familiar drills they used to run in Cleveland under Callahan – such as ones that involved the heavy bag.
Now, Dickerson is with the Browns as the offensive line coach. Teller said they've watched film from Dickerson's time in Seattle when he served as the offensive line coach from 2022-23 to help understand Dickerson's style. Teller added that even with the initial transition of learning the nuances of a new position coach, the X's and O's of the game stay the same.
"Work's cut out for us," Teller said. "We know we're going to have to work, but we're excited. I think that coach is getting us in the right direction."
Not only are there new faces on the coaching side, but their offensive line also has a new addition in rookie T Zak Zinter – who went through rookie minicamp and his first week of OTAs with the Browns.
Zinter is returning from a season-ending leg injury in 2023. One of the first times he took the field since the injury was during rookie minicamp. Throughout the first week of OTAs, Zinter participated in the O-line drills alongside his new teammates and appeared comfortable in his workouts.
"Great kid," Teller said of Zinter. "My initial thoughts – works hard, coming off an injury, can't tell, which is good. Obviously, he has a little sock over it, but he's tough and I love that. I commend him on that. There's a lot to learn. When I got into the league, I was a fifth-round draft pick, so he's better than me. But he's a great kid and I know he's going to work hard."
Teller also commended Zinter on his openness to learning from the veterans in the room. When Zinter was drafted to the Browns, he understood the situation he was walking into behind Pro-Bowl G Joel Bitonio and Teller. While Zinter may not see an extended reps in his rookie season, he noted the opportunity in front of him to learn the nuances of the league from the veterans.
Yet, Teller also believes there is an opportunity for the veterans to also pick up tidbits from the young players as well.
"Zak (Zinter) being a young guy coming in, kind of learn from the older guys, but also, I could learn something from him," Teller said. "Now usually, I'll learn something like, 'Hey, why do you put your hands like that or that?' And he'll be like, 'Well, sometimes my hip gets open, and I'll go like that.' I'm like, 'Oh, that's a great idea.' You know what I mean? So, there's always stuff you can learn from each other."
The Browns will also have familiar faces returning to their offensive line for the 2024 season. They re-signed G Michael Dunn during free agency. Their three tackles who endured season-ending injuries in 2023 – Dawand Jones, Jedrick Wills Jr. and Jack Conklin – continue to rehab. Jones participated in the non-contact practice of OTAs, while Wills worked off to the side on the field during the second day of OTAs. Conklin also continues to rehab from his season-ending knee injury.
Head coach Kevin Stefanski said on May 22 that all three tackles are progressing well in their rehab but did not have a specific timetable for when all three would be ready to practice.
In the meantime, though, they are continuing with the second week of OTAs and their preparation for veteran minicamp, preseason and the 2024 season.
"This offense, it's going to be – just from the little glimpses, it's potent if we have the right people in the right places," Teller said. "So, I say this every single year, and I'll say it again, if we execute, we're going to be a really hard team to beat."
-
For practically my entire Browns-watching life, it felt like they went out of their way to not put Buckeyes on their roster.
Now they have six.
-
I can see us taking one of the two OSU DE's if this current OL plays up to what they can be injury free. Besides the top 3 OLs will already be gone and a decent OL can be found in Round 2 if needed because the dropoff from top 3 to next 3 puts at least one of those in reach if we are around picks 18-22 each round. Give Myles one of those two guys to make this a truly great D. Both will likely be in that 18-22 range first round I think.
-
yes. they seem to agree with me using Conklin at LT
Veteran tackle Jack Conklin should be the Browns swing tackle in 2024
-
-
yes. they seem to agree with me using Conklin at LT
Veteran tackle Jack Conklin should be the Browns swing tackle in 2024
yes. they seem to agree with me using Conklin at LT
Veteran tackle Jack Conklin should be the Browns swing tackle in 2024
Swing tackle means depth with no choice, in this case. Conklin hasn't seen snaps on that side in almost a decade. I would expect him to be no better an option on the left than Hudson.
-
yes. they seem to agree with me using Conklin at LT
Veteran tackle Jack Conklin should be the Browns swing tackle in 2024
Swing tackle means depth with no choice, in this case. Conklin hasn't seen snaps on that side in almost a decade. I would expect him to be no better an option on the left than Hudson.
Swing tackle means depth with no choice, in this case. Conklin hasn't seen snaps on that side in almost a decade. I would expect him to be no better an option on the left than Hudson.
then what would you suggest ? try to trade him ? cause you know at some point during training camp someone will go down
-
yes. they seem to agree with me using Conklin at LT
Veteran tackle Jack Conklin should be the Browns swing tackle in 2024
Swing tackle means depth with no choice, in this case. Conklin hasn't seen snaps on that side in almost a decade. I would expect him to be no better an option on the left than Hudson.
Swing tackle means depth with no choice, in this case. Conklin hasn't seen snaps on that side in almost a decade. I would expect him to be no better an option on the left than Hudson.
That was a similar reason Bitonio cringed at hearing he might be an option at LT in the past from columnists and fans. That was usually after he committed an off season strength and conditioning program as an OG keeping his weight heavier with plans to face the bigger girths inside. I'm surprised the Browns have neglected such an important position like LT. Planning an offense around that glaring weakness at LT could be a big reason why all these offensive plans we hear about in the off season don't quite meet the expectation. Hopefully, this doesn't blind side all of Dorsey's plans for the Offense in 2024.
The one thing that always returns when Conklin comes back from injury is that he's a GREAT run blocker. As far as we know right now, we have 3 OTs coming back from season ending knee injuries that required surgery. That being the case, the Browns will take their 5th chance at hoping Wills plays like a 10th pick overall. They're also hoping their 4th round pick at RT returns to pre-injury form at RT. It's the Browns so I wouldn't be surprised if we see Conklin starting at some point. Then we have to worry how long he can hold up.
-
Swing tackle means depth with no choice, in this case. Conklin hasn't seen snaps on that side in almost a decade. I would expect him to be no better an option on the left than Hudson.
then what would you suggest ? try to trade him ? cause you know at some point during training camp someone will go down
then what would you suggest ? try to trade him ? cause you know at some point during training camp someone will go down
Dead money is a real problem.
Conklin as a swing tackle is likely the best you'll get out of him. He's almost a 10 year vet with multiple, season ending knee injuries under his belt.
Dawand at right and pray that Wills has had time during his rehab to renew his focus on the physical and mental fundamentals of LT.
Conklin as a starer, apart from a near miracle recovery, isn't a great situation.
That was a similar reason Bitonio cringed at hearing he might be an option at LT in the past from columnists and fans. That was usually after he committed an off season strength and conditioning program as an OG keeping his weight heavier with plans to face the bigger girths inside. I'm surprised the Browns have neglected such an important position like LT. Planning an offense around that glaring weakness at LT could be a big reason why all these offensive plans we hear about in the off season don't quite meet the expectation. Hopefully, this doesn't blind side all of Dorsey's plans for the Offense in 2024.
Columnists are there for clicks, fans are there to cheer and celebrate. But yeah, the idea of Bito being floated to tackle beyond the more dire of situations is comedy.
-
-
-
-
I've lamented about losing Bill Callahan, but the OL is in good hands.
Cut and paste from Google:
Dickerson was with Callahan with the Jets in 2011 as a coaching assistant and would watch Browns film in recent years for ideas. Dickerson also worked for Aaron Kromer with the Rams, and Kromer had a history with Callahan.Jun 13, 2024
-
The Browns could use a bit of insurance on the offensive line.
Jedrick Wills and Jack Conklin are both expected to be ready for the regular season, but each starter missed time in 2023 with injuries.
Donovan Smith is one of the better offensive tackles available on the free-agent market and he might be worth a look from the Browns.
Cleveland may not need Smith in a few weeks if Wills and Conklin are back in starting-caliber form, but right now, the Browns should explore all of their options in case a setback occurs so that they can properly protect Deshaun Watson starting in Week 1.
-
NFL free agency: Centers the Browns should look at bringing in after Luke Wypler injury and who has center experience on the current roster from
-
NFL free agency: Centers the Browns should look at bringing in after Luke Wypler injury and who has center experience on the current roster fromNFL free agency: Centers the Browns should look at bringing in after Luke Wypler injury and who has center experience on the current roster from
Is that one of the guys from 'Super Troopers'?
-
Browns trade a 2025 6th round pick to Seattle for center Nick Harris and a 7th rounder.
Nice to see you again, Nick!
-
Browns trade a 2025 6th round pick to Seattle for center Nick Harris and a 7th rounder.
Nice to see you again, Nick!
Browns trade a 2025 6th round pick to Seattle for center Nick Harris and a 7th rounder.
Nice to see you again, Nick!
...was wondering what they were going to do at center. It's not like they gave up much for him. Because he's really not big enough...but he's game enough...and I loved his 1st Down signal in college.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login