Skip to content

The State of the 2024 Browns: Offensive Line

The Browns Board
48 9 2.6k
  • A AP1 wrote on last edited by
    #24

    I've lamented about losing Bill Callahan, but the OL is in good hands.

  • A AP1

    I've lamented about losing Bill Callahan, but the OL is in good hands.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @ap1 said:

    I've lamented about losing Bill Callahan, but the OL is in good hands.

    Cut and paste from Google: 

    Dickerson was with Callahan with the Jets in 2011 as a coaching assistant and would watch Browns film in recent years for ideas. Dickerson also worked for Aaron Kromer with the Rams, and Kromer had a history with Callahan.Jun 13, 2024

  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #26

    The Browns could use a bit of insurance on the offensive line.

    Jedrick Wills and Jack Conklin are both expected to be ready for the regular season, but each starter missed time in 2023 with injuries.

    Donovan Smith is one of the better offensive tackles available on the free-agent market and he might be worth a look from the Browns.

    Cleveland may not need Smith in a few weeks if Wills and Conklin are back in starting-caliber form, but right now, the Browns should explore all of their options in case a setback occurs so that they can properly protect Deshaun Watson starting in Week 1.

  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #27
    NFL free agency: Centers the Browns should look at bringing in after Luke Wypler injury and who has center experience on the current roster from
  • sydS syd
    NFL free agency: Centers the Browns should look at bringing in after Luke Wypler injury and who has center experience on the current roster from
    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @syd said:

    NFL free agency: Centers the Browns should look at bringing in after Luke Wypler injury and who has center experience on the current roster from

    Is that one of the guys from 'Super Troopers'?

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by Dutch Oven
    #29

    Browns trade a 2025 6th round pick to Seattle for center Nick Harris and a 7th rounder. 

    Nice to see you again, Nick!

  • Browns trade a 2025 6th round pick to Seattle for center Nick Harris and a 7th rounder. 

    Nice to see you again, Nick!

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @dutch-oven said:

    Browns trade a 2025 6th round pick to Seattle for center Nick Harris and a 7th rounder. 

    Nice to see you again, Nick!

    ...was wondering what they were going to do at center.  It's not like they gave up much for him.  Because he's really not big enough...but he's game enough...and I loved his 1st Down signal in college.  🙂  

  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #31

    The Browns OL supposedly did not look good during 11 on 11 drills on day 1 of joint practices with the Vikings.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Browns trade a 2025 6th round pick to Seattle for center Nick Harris and a 7th rounder. 

    Nice to see you again, Nick!

    ...was wondering what they were going to do at center.  It's not like they gave up much for him.  Because he's really not big enough...but he's game enough...and I loved his 1st Down signal in college.  🙂  

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @orion said:

    ...was wondering what they were going to do at center.  It's not like they gave up much for him.  Because he's really not big enough...but he's game enough...and I loved his 1st Down signal in college.  🙂  

    Nick Harris is my favorite FB in short yardage when he's the back up Center.  

  • The Browns OL supposedly did not look good during 11 on 11 drills on day 1 of joint practices with the Vikings.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @orion said:

    The Browns OL supposedly did not look good during 11 on 11 drills on day 1 of joint practices with the Vikings.

    Well, considering how rough they looked in the first pre-season game, this should surprise nobody. The Oline is going to be a problem this year and the depth is... Not great. 

  • @orion said:

    The Browns OL supposedly did not look good during 11 on 11 drills on day 1 of joint practices with the Vikings.

    Well, considering how rough they looked in the first pre-season game, this should surprise nobody. The Oline is going to be a problem this year and the depth is... Not great. 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #34

    @tiamat63 said:

    Well, considering how rough they looked in the first pre-season game, this should surprise

    Yeah, that wasn't good either.  Hopefully they can work things out and become a unit by opening day.  

  • The Browns OL supposedly did not look good during 11 on 11 drills on day 1 of joint practices with the Vikings.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @orion said:

    The Browns OL supposedly did not look good during 11 on 11 drills on day 1 of joint practices with the Vikings.

    From what a local beat reporter said today on The Fan, the offense in general has looked very pedestrian. 

    I've said it before and I'll say it again: Stefanski and Watson are a bad fit. I am not optimistic that magically they will be on the same page, and I have some doubts that Ken Dorsey really added much to the overall picture. 

  • @orion said:

    The Browns OL supposedly did not look good during 11 on 11 drills on day 1 of joint practices with the Vikings.

    From what a local beat reporter said today on The Fan, the offense in general has looked very pedestrian. 

    I've said it before and I'll say it again: Stefanski and Watson are a bad fit. I am not optimistic that magically they will be on the same page, and I have some doubts that Ken Dorsey really added much to the overall picture. 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #36

    @dutch-oven said:

    From what a local beat reporter said today on The Fan, the offense in general has looked very pedestrian. 

    I'd be interested to know how much OL play is involved in that opinion.  I mean, in reality, the OL sets up the play for success...or it doesn't.  We've of course, been through that before...crappy big fat guys not opening holes unless it's for rushers attacking the QB.  

  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #37

    WTF are we gonna do at LT ?

  • sydS syd

    WTF are we gonna do at LT ?

    Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #38

    @syd said:

    WTF are we gonna do at LT ?

    I think Stefanski has earned trust. I'm sure it's Wills, and if that's not going to work one of these injured guys will have to step up. 

    I don't think we as fans should panic about it yet. These preseason games stink, but yeah, the injuries are mounting.

  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by Orion
    #39

    I bet next April we go LT round 1.  (an entire football season to prove me wrong...and Watson's play could affect that bet)

  • I bet next April we go LT round 1.  (an entire football season to prove me wrong...and Watson's play could affect that bet)

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #40

    @orion said:

    I bet next April we go LT round 1.  (an entire football season to prove me wrong...and Watson's play could affect that bet)

    Left Tackle is definitely a position I could see the Browns going with their first rounder. 

  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #41

    We'll want to pay attention to the part of the upcoming Seattle game with our starters on the field.  I think that we have talented enough starting receivers.  I feel that Foreman can be a good enough fill-in for Chubb.  

    My question marks are:   Watson, is he really any good?  Is he a smart enough QB?   And is our OL good enough such that the skill level of the skilled players can shine through?  So much rides on the big fat guys upfront.  -  For all of the current negativity regarding the OL, we haven't seen the starters play together yet.  

  • @orion said:

    The Browns OL supposedly did not look good during 11 on 11 drills on day 1 of joint practices with the Vikings.

    From what a local beat reporter said today on The Fan, the offense in general has looked very pedestrian. 

    I've said it before and I'll say it again: Stefanski and Watson are a bad fit. I am not optimistic that magically they will be on the same page, and I have some doubts that Ken Dorsey really added much to the overall picture. 

    jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #42

    @dutch-oven said:

    From what a local beat reporter said today on The Fan, the offense in general has looked very pedestrian. 

    I've said it before and I'll say it again: Stefanski and Watson are a bad fit. I am not optimistic that magically they will be on the same page, and I have some doubts that Ken Dorsey really added much to the overall picture. 

    To be fair, I think I've heard that every year since the pandemic and it never is that significantly true. The Browns were 10th in PPG last year despite playing 5 QB's as we know. I don't disagree with the latter point, though. It's wild how much more efficient the offense looked with Flacco.

    I didn't watch swaths of the preseason game 2, but man the depth at tackle is no bueno. Hudson is the definition of a turnstile, and losing Callahan is seemingly already showing its downsides. I still have some faith in Dawand Jones, but it's safe to say Wills despite the ups and down will be a significantly important player this year.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    From what a local beat reporter said today on The Fan, the offense in general has looked very pedestrian. 

    I've said it before and I'll say it again: Stefanski and Watson are a bad fit. I am not optimistic that magically they will be on the same page, and I have some doubts that Ken Dorsey really added much to the overall picture. 

    To be fair, I think I've heard that every year since the pandemic and it never is that significantly true. The Browns were 10th in PPG last year despite playing 5 QB's as we know. I don't disagree with the latter point, though. It's wild how much more efficient the offense looked with Flacco.

    I didn't watch swaths of the preseason game 2, but man the depth at tackle is no bueno. Hudson is the definition of a turnstile, and losing Callahan is seemingly already showing its downsides. I still have some faith in Dawand Jones, but it's safe to say Wills despite the ups and down will be a significantly important player this year.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #43

    @jrb12711 said:

    To be fair, I think I've heard that every year since the pandemic and it never is that significantly true. The Browns were 10th in PPG last year despite playing 5 QB's as we know. I don't disagree with the latter point, though. It's wild how much more efficient the offense looked with Flacco.

    I didn't watch swaths of the preseason game 2, but man the depth at tackle is no bueno. Hudson is the definition of a turnstile, and losing Callahan is seemingly already showing its downsides. I still have some faith in Dawand Jones, but it's safe to say Wills despite the ups and down will be a significantly important player this year.

    Good points in those 1st few sentences up top JRB.  Left Tackle has been a need; but we paid and committed the guy.  Seems strange to want a QB sooooo bad that all you care to protect him on the blind side with is Jedrick Wills.  As bad as LT is - the Browns have 2 Pro Bowl Guards + 2 very good RTs (if we can keep at least 1 of them healthy). Both guys are very good run blockers. The question is - how much did last year's knee injuries/surgeries change this?   Pocic is solid at Center.  My guess is the OL should be able to perform like they did last year.  We shall see...