Skip to content

Football's Missing Soul

The Browns Board
16 10 600 1
  • FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Man, I miss this guy's 2nd to none narration of what he saw on the gridiron every Saturday. Having said that, he also did Monday Night Football for a while.  Anyway, enjoy...

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28
    #2

    Oh yes,  an absolute sporting classic  especially in  NCAA college football  for me.

    Keith Max Jackson (October 18, 1928 – January 12, 2018) was an American sports commentator, journalist, author, and radio personality, known for his career with ABC Sports (1966–2006). While he covered a variety of sports over his career, he is best known for his coverage of college football from 1952 until 2006, and his distinctive voice,"a throwback voice, deep and operatic. A voice that was to college football what Edward R. Murrow's was to war. It was the voice of ultimate authority in his profession.

    A farmer's son, Jackson was born in Roopville, Georgia and grew up on a farm outside Carrollton, near the Alabama state line.  He was the only surviving child in a poor family and grew up listening to sports on the radio.  

    After enlisting and serving as a mechaniin the United States Marine Corps, he attended Washington State University in Pullman under the G.I. Bill. Jackson began as a political science major, but he became interested in broadcasting.   He graduated in 1954 with a degree in speech communications.

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #3

    No doubt Keith was one of the best.

    They become a part of our life, then one day they are silenced.  We miss their voice.

  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #4

    It's a good ol' fashion Gully Washer!  

  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #5

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63
    #6

    I miss this man, I miss those days, in a way I'll never be able to fully express.    All I can say is that my heart hurts from it. 

  • A AP1 wrote on last edited by
    #7

    I think what set apart the greats, such as Keith Jackson, was exclusivity. They were heard from once a week for a season and maybe a couple novelties here and there. So when we got the opportunity to hear them it was a real treat.

    There weren't 4-5 media pieces a day, 2-3 shows analyzing the same stuff over and over and unlimited social media. 

    Therefore, they left us always wanting more.

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #8

    I really looked forward to him doing the. MICHIGAN  vs  OHIO STATE. at 12 noom .... it just felt right !

    Thank you Keith.

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen
    #9

    I felt that way about Vern Lundquist announcing the SEC game of the week on CBS.  This was also Vern's last year to call the Masters.  Another voice in the memory silenced.

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #10

    Football sold it's soul when it went WOKE..  But I miss guys like Dick Enberg,Don Criqui.. Writers like Frank DeFord and Peter Vescey and of course the sinister voice of John Facenda narrating classic NFL highlights.. And who could forget Howard Cosell's drunken rambling broadcasts on MNF. He was to Football what Harry Carey was to baseball in some sense... And of course.. Dandy Don Meredith was a blast as well...

  • Football sold it's soul when it went WOKE..  But I miss guys like Dick Enberg,Don Criqui.. Writers like Frank DeFord and Peter Vescey and of course the sinister voice of John Facenda narrating classic NFL highlights.. And who could forget Howard Cosell's drunken rambling broadcasts on MNF. He was to Football what Harry Carey was to baseball in some sense... And of course.. Dandy Don Meredith was a blast as well...

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @nickers said:

    Football sold it's soul when it went WOKE.. 

    I see your trip to Europe didn't magically make you less stupid. 

  • @nickers said:

    Football sold it's soul when it went WOKE.. 

    I see your trip to Europe didn't magically make you less stupid. 

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @dutch-oven said:

    I see your trip to Europe didn't magically make you less stupid. 

    I see you're still the same gaslighting idiot you were when I left...

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I see your trip to Europe didn't magically make you less stupid. 

    I see you're still the same gaslighting idiot you were when I left...

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @nickers said:

    I see you're still the same gaslighting idiot you were when I left...

    You are so adorable when you learn a new word or phrase with zero comprehension of it. 

  • @nickers said:

    I see you're still the same gaslighting idiot you were when I left...

    You are so adorable when you learn a new word or phrase with zero comprehension of it. 

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by nickers
    #14

    @dutch-oven said:

    You are so adorable when you learn a new word or phrase with zero comprehension of it. 

    Awww whats the matter.. Your wife fuck up your eggs this morning?... Grow up...

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
    #15

    Well I missed out on the usual fun for a few days of travel and get togethers in Estes Park.? 

    EDIT: Nobody did radio football better than Kern Tips for the SWC on the Humble Radio Network, "Well he saddled him up and rode him on down to the nine yard line."

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #16

    No doubt college had many greats making the call. One of my favorites was Larry Munson who called Georgia games.  In this clip he calls Hercial Walkers 1st TD as a Bulldog.  He runs over Bill Bates, the Tennessee safety.  Bates went on to play maybe 14 years for the Cowboys.