Skip to content

The Beekeeper

Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
7 5 1.3k 1
  • I caught a trailer for this back in January and have been excited to see it since. Not excited enough to go to the theater or rent it, but excited enough that when l saw it pop up on Amazon, l watched it. My dad took on beekeeping in his retirement years and it’s been a lot of fun hearing about the ups and downs and the stories involved, and l am a fan of honey. So when l saw they made a mindless action flick with a bee keeping twist, l was all in.

    I gotta say this movie killed it in that regard. It was a textbook mindless action flick and bee keeping was definitely a dominant theme throughout. 

    It starred Jason Statham, who is really good at 2 things. Portraying the most confident bad ass ever, and really funny one-liners. He’s terrible at everything else acting wise.

    The basic plot line is that he is a retired “beekeeper”, which is a classified military program consisting of one individual who answers to no one, and the sole mission is to “protect the hive.” 

    In retirement, he befriends the heart-of-gold elderly neighbor lady who gets hacked and subsequently offs herself, and he sets on a mission to kick all the asses of those responsible. 

    The character development in the flick is pretty poor with the exception of the dead neighbor lady’s daughter FBI Agent and her partner. I will say l was happy with how the bad guys were portrayed, and there were notable high points when they got theirs. 

    Plenty about the movie is unbelievable, and the whole bee keeping thing really does create some corny dialogue, which l kinda liked. Overall it was just ok for me. I give it a C+.

  • Watched most of it, until it just got too fucking stupid.. At about the 1 hr moment or so..  And I generally like these action type flicks..

    F+

  • AxeA Axe

    Watched most of it, until it just got too fucking stupid.. At about the 1 hr moment or so..  And I generally like these action type flicks..

    F+

    @axe said:

    Watched most of it, until it just got too fucking stupid.. At about the 1 hr moment or so..  And I generally like these action type flicks..

    F+

    I wonder if Steve Vai got any offers to write a score being a bee keeper himself

  • My parents just watched it last week but my dad snored throughout the film.

  • As I said comma I liked it. No frrills, just some really terrible bad guys. And he kills the shit out of them.

    ?

    WSS

  • My parents just watched it last week but my dad snored throughout the film.

    @jppt1974 said:

    My parents just watched it last week but my dad snored throughout the film.

    Bees make Zzzzz sounds too so l suppose that’s appropriate.

  • I watched it last night... The action scenes were pretty good... The problem for me is... Jason Statham's one dimensional acting as a badass is getting old... At least Sly Stallone has some depth to his acting and can play a different variety of roles... The woman who was the cop looked like she came straight off the couch in the projects... It gets a d- from me...