Skip to content

(Browns) Mt Rushmore of Running Backs

The Browns Board
29 7 1.5k 1
  • A AP1

    @flugel said:

    Here's a cut and paste from Google: 

    Historic Moments: Sayers, Butkus draft

    Nov. 28, 1964. The selection of Gale Sayers and Dick Butkus in the first round of the 1965 draft remains the only time a team has selected two Hall of Fame players in the first round of one draft.

    My thoughts on that: 1) I don't know if that still stands; 2) Surprisingly, the Bears never once Clay Matthews

    Eric Metcalf (shoulda been a slot Receiver here)

    @nickers said:

    And then there's Eric Metcalf.. So the Browns have a nice history at RB.. Doesn't take a back seat to anybody...

    *Not relevant to the thread - Clay Matthews, Jr. SHOULD be in the Hall of Fame. 1,595 tackles, 69.5 sacks, 16 INTs.

    **Kind of relevant to the thread because he lined up in the back field, Eric Metcalf SHOULD be in the Hall of Fame. 630 carries - 2,392 yards, 541 catches - 5,572 yards, 55 total offensive TDs, 3,453 punt return yards, 9,266 kickoff return yards, 12 total return TDs. 67 career TDs.

    To @bob806's point, Lynn Swann had 53 TDs.

    @ap1 said:

    *Not relevant to the thread - Clay Matthews, Jr. SHOULD be in the Hall of Fame. 1,595 tackles, 69.5 sacks, 16 INTs.

    **Kind of relevant to the thread because he lined up in the back field, Eric Metcalf SHOULD be in the Hall of Fame. 630 carries - 2,392 yards, 541 catches - 5,572 yards, 55 total offensive TDs, 3,453 punt return yards, 9,266 kickoff return yards, 12 total return TDs. 67 career TDs.

    To @bob806's point, Lynn Swann had 53 TDs.

    I think a Browns alum that should be considered for the Hall of Fame, and for some reason seems overlooked, is Gary Collins. 

    Compare his stats to other HOF receivers of that era, plus he was an excellent punter. 

  • @ap1 said:

    leaving Mike Pruitt off my list would be unpopular

    Ya know, he's just kinda' there.....under the radar.  I mean, would most people guess that he's the 3rd leading rusher in Browns history?  I'd think no.  I think more people would guess Byner or Mack.  Or Greg Pruitt.  Or Marion Motley.  I never thought that Mike Pruitt got the credit that he deserved.  He wasn't flashy.  But in my opinion, he picked up the torch that Leroy Kelly had left behind 3 years prior....and 'ran' with it.  

    @orion said:

    Ya know, he's just kinda' there.....under the radar.  I mean, would most people guess that he's the 3rd leading rusher in Browns history?  I'd think no.  I think more people would guess Byner or Mack.  Or Greg Pruitt.  Or Marion Motley.  I never thought that Mike Pruitt got the credit that he deserved.  He wasn't flashy.  But in my opinion, he picked up the torch that Leroy Kelly had left behind 3 years prior....and 'ran' with it.  

    Just like Leroy Kelly had to follow Jim Brown - Tag Team "Do It With Pruitt" now had 2 back to back HOF backs to live up to in Cleveland.  Tough as that was to do - both guys made our fans happy we had these 2 guys following keeping the strong tradition going with our RBs. Always fun to watch #34 teaming up with #43.  I already showed Greg's stats in this thread.  I might as well post Mike's Stats right here per your statement I bolded above.  This was a very good back here.  

    Rushing:

    Year Team No. Yds Avg. Long TDs
    Totals   1844 7378 4.0 77  51
    1976 NFL Cleveland Browns 52 138 2.7 18  0
    1977 NFL Cleveland Browns 47 205 4.4 21  1
    1978 NFL Cleveland Browns 135 560 4.1 71  5
    1979 NFL Cleveland Browns 264 1294 4.9 77  9
    1980 NFL Cleveland Browns 249 1034 4.2 56  6
    1981 NFL Cleveland Browns 247 1103 4.5 21  7
    1982 NFL Cleveland Browns 143 516 3.6 17  3
    1983 NFL Cleveland Browns 293 1184 4.0 27  10
    1984 NFL Cleveland Browns 163 506 3.1 14  6
    1985 NFL Buffalo Bills 7 24 3.4 7  0
    1985 NFL Kansas City Chiefs 105 366 3.5 54  2
    1986 NFL Kansas City Chiefs 139 448 3.2 16  2

    Receiving:

    Year Team No. Yds Avg. Long TDs
    Totals   270 1860 6.9 50  5
    1976 NFL Cleveland Browns 8 26 3.2 15  0
    1977 NFL Cleveland Browns 3 12 4.0 6  0
    1978 NFL Cleveland Browns 20 112 5.6 15  0
    1979 NFL Cleveland Browns 41 372 9.1 50  2
    1980 NFL Cleveland Browns 63 471 7.5 28  0
    1981 NFL Cleveland Browns 63 442 7.0 21  1
    1982 NFL Cleveland Browns 22 140 6.4 13  0
    1983 NFL Cleveland Browns 30 157 5.2 21  2
    1984 NFL Cleveland Browns 5 29 5.8 9  0
    1985 NFL Kansas City Chiefs 7 43 6.1 9  0
    1986 NFL Kansas City Chiefs 8 56 7.0 13  0
  • @ap1 said:

    *Not relevant to the thread - Clay Matthews, Jr. SHOULD be in the Hall of Fame. 1,595 tackles, 69.5 sacks, 16 INTs.

    **Kind of relevant to the thread because he lined up in the back field, Eric Metcalf SHOULD be in the Hall of Fame. 630 carries - 2,392 yards, 541 catches - 5,572 yards, 55 total offensive TDs, 3,453 punt return yards, 9,266 kickoff return yards, 12 total return TDs. 67 career TDs.

    To @bob806's point, Lynn Swann had 53 TDs.

    I could care less how many TD's Swann had.. all I said is our history of RB's takes a back seat to nobody

    @nickers said:

    I could care less how many TD's Swann had.. all I said is our history of RB's takes a back seat to nobody

    If Swann doesn't make that circus catch in the SB vs Dallas, he's basically Louis Lipps.

  • @orion said:

    Ya know, he's just kinda' there.....under the radar.  I mean, would most people guess that he's the 3rd leading rusher in Browns history?  I'd think no.  I think more people would guess Byner or Mack.  Or Greg Pruitt.  Or Marion Motley.  I never thought that Mike Pruitt got the credit that he deserved.  He wasn't flashy.  But in my opinion, he picked up the torch that Leroy Kelly had left behind 3 years prior....and 'ran' with it.  

    Just like Leroy Kelly had to follow Jim Brown - Tag Team "Do It With Pruitt" now had 2 back to back HOF backs to live up to in Cleveland.  Tough as that was to do - both guys made our fans happy we had these 2 guys following keeping the strong tradition going with our RBs. Always fun to watch #34 teaming up with #43.  I already showed Greg's stats in this thread.  I might as well post Mike's Stats right here per your statement I bolded above.  This was a very good back here.  

    Rushing:

    Year Team No. Yds Avg. Long TDs
    Totals   1844 7378 4.0 77  51
    1976 NFL Cleveland Browns 52 138 2.7 18  0
    1977 NFL Cleveland Browns 47 205 4.4 21  1
    1978 NFL Cleveland Browns 135 560 4.1 71  5
    1979 NFL Cleveland Browns 264 1294 4.9 77  9
    1980 NFL Cleveland Browns 249 1034 4.2 56  6
    1981 NFL Cleveland Browns 247 1103 4.5 21  7
    1982 NFL Cleveland Browns 143 516 3.6 17  3
    1983 NFL Cleveland Browns 293 1184 4.0 27  10
    1984 NFL Cleveland Browns 163 506 3.1 14  6
    1985 NFL Buffalo Bills 7 24 3.4 7  0
    1985 NFL Kansas City Chiefs 105 366 3.5 54  2
    1986 NFL Kansas City Chiefs 139 448 3.2 16  2

    Receiving:

    Year Team No. Yds Avg. Long TDs
    Totals   270 1860 6.9 50  5
    1976 NFL Cleveland Browns 8 26 3.2 15  0
    1977 NFL Cleveland Browns 3 12 4.0 6  0
    1978 NFL Cleveland Browns 20 112 5.6 15  0
    1979 NFL Cleveland Browns 41 372 9.1 50  2
    1980 NFL Cleveland Browns 63 471 7.5 28  0
    1981 NFL Cleveland Browns 63 442 7.0 21  1
    1982 NFL Cleveland Browns 22 140 6.4 13  0
    1983 NFL Cleveland Browns 30 157 5.2 21  2
    1984 NFL Cleveland Browns 5 29 5.8 9  0
    1985 NFL Kansas City Chiefs 7 43 6.1 9  0
    1986 NFL Kansas City Chiefs 8 56 7.0 13  0

    @flugel said:

    might as well post Mike's Stats

    Thanks!  You can see that Mike was no slouch at receiving numbers. The two Pruitts were a great tandem.  Put in Mike to physically wear them down...and then put in Greg to aerobically wear them out.  🙂  

    Let's just pair up some guys for the hell-uv-it.  🙂

    Jim Brown and Ernie Green    12,312  +  3,204  =  15,516

    Mike Pruitt and Greg Pruitt    6,540  +  5,496  =   12,036

    Leroy Kelly and Bo Scott    7,274  +  2,124  =   9,398

    Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt   6,511  +  2,285  =  8,796

    Kevin Mack and Earnest Byner   5,123  +  3,364  =  8,467

  • @flugel said:

    might as well post Mike's Stats

    Thanks!  You can see that Mike was no slouch at receiving numbers. The two Pruitts were a great tandem.  Put in Mike to physically wear them down...and then put in Greg to aerobically wear them out.  🙂  

    Let's just pair up some guys for the hell-uv-it.  🙂

    Jim Brown and Ernie Green    12,312  +  3,204  =  15,516

    Mike Pruitt and Greg Pruitt    6,540  +  5,496  =   12,036

    Leroy Kelly and Bo Scott    7,274  +  2,124  =   9,398

    Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt   6,511  +  2,285  =  8,796

    Kevin Mack and Earnest Byner   5,123  +  3,364  =  8,467

    @orion said:

    Thanks!  You can see that Mike was no slouch at receiving numbers. The two Pruitts were a great tandem.  Put in Mike to physically wear them down...and then put in Greg to aerobically wear them out.  🙂  

    Let's just pair up some guys for the hell-uv-it.  🙂

    Jim Brown and Ernie Green    12,312  +  3,204  =  15,516

    Mike Pruitt and Greg Pruitt    6,540  +  5,496  =   12,036

    Leroy Kelly and Bo Scott    7,274  +  2,124  =   9,398

    Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt   6,511  +  2,285  =  8,796

    Kevin Mack and Earnest Byner   5,123  +  3,364  =  8,467

    Great idea - Nice job with that Orion!   Not for nothing but look at Jim Brown outproducing every tandem in receiving yardage all by himself.  Then we factor in all his yardage on the ground; and how much fun was it to play defense against that guy? 

  • @ap1 said:

    *Not relevant to the thread - Clay Matthews, Jr. SHOULD be in the Hall of Fame. 1,595 tackles, 69.5 sacks, 16 INTs.

    **Kind of relevant to the thread because he lined up in the back field, Eric Metcalf SHOULD be in the Hall of Fame. 630 carries - 2,392 yards, 541 catches - 5,572 yards, 55 total offensive TDs, 3,453 punt return yards, 9,266 kickoff return yards, 12 total return TDs. 67 career TDs.

    To @bob806's point, Lynn Swann had 53 TDs.

    I think a Browns alum that should be considered for the Hall of Fame, and for some reason seems overlooked, is Gary Collins. 

    Compare his stats to other HOF receivers of that era, plus he was an excellent punter. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    I think a Browns alum that should be considered for the Hall of Fame, and for some reason seems overlooked, is Gary Collins. 

    Compare his stats to other HOF receivers of that era, plus he was an excellent punter. 

    Whenever my dad took a break from telling me about the greatness of Otto Graham and Jim Brown - he made sure I knew all about how terrific Gary Collins was.  

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I think a Browns alum that should be considered for the Hall of Fame, and for some reason seems overlooked, is Gary Collins. 

    Compare his stats to other HOF receivers of that era, plus he was an excellent punter. 

    Whenever my dad took a break from telling me about the greatness of Otto Graham and Jim Brown - he made sure I knew all about how terrific Gary Collins was.  

    @flugel said:

    Whenever my dad took a break from telling me about the greatness of Otto Graham and Jim Brown - he made sure I knew all about how terrific Gary Collins was.  

    https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/board/105323/contents/why-is-gary-collins-not-in-hof-227089377/#:~:text=His%20stats%20compare%20almost%20identical,of%20the%2064%20championship%20game.

  • @flugel said:

    Whenever my dad took a break from telling me about the greatness of Otto Graham and Jim Brown - he made sure I knew all about how terrific Gary Collins was.  

    https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/board/105323/contents/why-is-gary-collins-not-in-hof-227089377/#:~:text=His%20stats%20compare%20almost%20identical,of%20the%2064%20championship%20game.

    @dutch-oven said:

    https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/board/105323/contents/why-is-gary-collins-not-in-hof-227089377/#:~:text=His%20stats%20compare%20almost%20identical,of%20the%2064%20championship%20game.

    Thanks for sharing that!  Yeah, when it came to volume of Pro Bowls - he got Clay Matthewsed long before Clay Matthews with only 2 Pro Bowl selections despite making the All Decade Team in the 60s. Look at these killer good TD volumes (below) back when they only played 14 games as well as the yards per catch. Above all, he scored 3 TDs in the 27-0 Championship Victory over Baltimore.  

    Receiving:

    Year Team No. Yds Avg. Long TDs
      NFL 331 5299 16.0 67  70
      WFL 2 34 17.0 19  1
    Totals   333 5333 16.0 67  71
    1962 NFL Cleveland Browns 11 153 13.9 29  2
    1963 NFL Cleveland Browns 43 674 15.7 49  13
    1964 NFL Cleveland Browns 35 544 15.5 43  8
    1965 NFL Cleveland Browns 50 884 17.7 67  10
    1966 NFL Cleveland Browns 56 946 16.9 54  12
    1967 NFL Cleveland Browns 32 500 15.6 33  7
    1968 NFL Cleveland Browns 9 230 25.6 39  0
    1969 NFL Cleveland Browns 54 786 14.6 48  11
    1970 NFL Cleveland Browns 26 351 13.5 28  4
    1971 NFL Cleveland Browns 15 231 15.4 29  3
    1974 WFL Florida Blazers 2 34 17.0 19  1
  • @orion said:

    Thanks!  You can see that Mike was no slouch at receiving numbers. The two Pruitts were a great tandem.  Put in Mike to physically wear them down...and then put in Greg to aerobically wear them out.  🙂  

    Let's just pair up some guys for the hell-uv-it.  🙂

    Jim Brown and Ernie Green    12,312  +  3,204  =  15,516

    Mike Pruitt and Greg Pruitt    6,540  +  5,496  =   12,036

    Leroy Kelly and Bo Scott    7,274  +  2,124  =   9,398

    Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt   6,511  +  2,285  =  8,796

    Kevin Mack and Earnest Byner   5,123  +  3,364  =  8,467

    Great idea - Nice job with that Orion!   Not for nothing but look at Jim Brown outproducing every tandem in receiving yardage all by himself.  Then we factor in all his yardage on the ground; and how much fun was it to play defense against that guy? 

    @flugel said:

    Not for nothing but look at Jim Brown outproducing every tandem in receiving yardage

    My bad!   The numbers I put up were rushing numbers.  Those tandems are rushing numbers only.  Maybe I'll do an all purpose yardage thing (if those stats are available)....but that'll have to be after I put my painting supplies away.....which I'm just about to start another day of interior painting.  🙂  

  • @flugel said:

    Not for nothing but look at Jim Brown outproducing every tandem in receiving yardage

    My bad!   The numbers I put up were rushing numbers.  Those tandems are rushing numbers only.  Maybe I'll do an all purpose yardage thing (if those stats are available)....but that'll have to be after I put my painting supplies away.....which I'm just about to start another day of interior painting.  🙂  

    @orion said:

    My bad!   The numbers I put up were rushing numbers.  Those tandems are rushing numbers only.  Maybe I'll do an all purpose yardage thing (if those stats are available)....but that'll have to be after I put my painting supplies away.....which I'm just about to start another day of interior painting.  🙂  

    No worries & no hurry.  I could have actually paid attention to the stats of Greg and Mike that I posted to see what you meant so it's not your bad at all.

  • I have always been  good with our backs minus the days of Terry Kirby and Abdula Jabbar or whatever his name was.

  • @flugel said:

    Not for nothing but look at Jim Brown outproducing every tandem in receiving yardage

    My bad!   The numbers I put up were rushing numbers.  Those tandems are rushing numbers only.  Maybe I'll do an all purpose yardage thing (if those stats are available)....but that'll have to be after I put my painting supplies away.....which I'm just about to start another day of interior painting.  🙂  

    @orion said:

    My bad!   The numbers I put up were rushing numbers.  Those tandems are rushing numbers only.  Maybe I'll do an all purpose yardage thing (if those stats are available)....but that'll have to be after I put my painting supplies away.....which I'm just about to start another day of interior painting.  🙂  

    What I loved about both Pruitts was the running game dimension that they could score from anywhere on the field. At the same time both guys were very strong within their frames to frequently break tackles as well. Before Chubb came here and restored that threat - we had to hope our Oline could get Eric Metcalf similar daylight he found in the open fields the return game supplied him with.  Unfortunately, Metcalf up the middle didn't do it nearly as much as the passing game could provide that for him.  The next 3-4 teams that had Metcalf put him in the slot and said "have fun Eric."  He did!  We've had other backs that could break long runs but these 2 did it a lot with in the spans you'll see below/

    This is a string of seasons from 1973 to 1980 showing the longest runs from scrimmage from Greg Pruitt and Mike Pruitt. You can see their longest runs from other seasons on the rushing stats that were posted in this thread; but these are their best.

    YEAR LONG      PLAYER

    1973  65 yards  Greg

    1974  54 yards  Greg

    1975  50 yards  Greg

    1976  64 yards  Greg

    1977  78 yards  Greg

    1978  70 yards  Greg

    1978  71 yards  Mike

    1979  77 yards  Mike

    1980  56 yards  Mike

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I think a Browns alum that should be considered for the Hall of Fame, and for some reason seems overlooked, is Gary Collins. 

    Compare his stats to other HOF receivers of that era, plus he was an excellent punter. 

    Whenever my dad took a break from telling me about the greatness of Otto Graham and Jim Brown - he made sure I knew all about how terrific Gary Collins was.  

    @flugel said:

    Whenever my dad took a break from telling me about the greatness of Otto Graham and Jim Brown - he made sure I knew all about how terrific Gary Collins was.  

    Speaking of Otto Graham.. The numbers don't lie! And yeah.. Can't begin to tell you how many times my pops told me about Gary Collins and I used to mess wit him a little and say.. Not Gary Collins the actor lol!!

    GRWR8axWgAAP2II.png

    Gary_Collins_1972.JPG

  • Browns All Purpose Yardage
    Player Passing Rushing Receiving Punt Ret Kick Ret Total
     Jim Brown 117 12312 2499 0 648 15576
     Josh Cribbs 45 753 1161 2154 10015 14128
     Leroy Kelly 93 7274 2281 990 1784 12422
     Greg Pruitt 182 5496 3022 659 1523 10882
     Eric Metcalf 32 2229 2732 1341 2806 9140
     Mike Pruitt 0 6540 1761 0 237 8538
     Nick Chubb 0 6511 1011 0 0 7522
     Marion Motley 0 4712 1107 0 1122 6941
     Kevin Mack 0 5123 1602 0 0 6725
     Earnest Byner 0 3364 2630 0 515 6509
     Ernie Green 0 3204 2036 110 648 5998
     Bo Scott 0 2124 826 0 722 3672
     Kareem Hunt 0 2285 1057 0 0 3342
                 
    All Purpose Running Back Tandems Yardage
                                                Jim Brown & Ernie Green      21,574
                                                Greg Pruitt & Mike Pruitt       19,420
                                                Leroy Kelly & Bo Scott          16,094
                                                Kevin Mack & Earnest Byner  13,234
                                                Nick Chubb & Kareem Hunt   10,864