Skip to content

Is It Possible? Some Good News for the Banged up DT position

The Browns Board
9 3 410 1
  • Hearing Tomlinson, Hurst and others are battling injuries while Ika's sophomore growing pains continue.  Did I really just type that a 350+ guy has growing pains?

    https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/by-the-numbers-dt-chris-williams-proves-pass-rushing-prowess

    Williams had two sacks, including one for a safety

    Aug 17, 2024 at 08:59 PM
     
    Patrick Warren

    By the Numbers: DT Chris Williams proves pass rushing prowess

    The Browns lost their second preseason game on Saturday, falling 27-12 to the Vikings. The offense moved the ball well at times but failed to capitalize on red zone opportunities.

    Here are some key numbers and stats from Saturday's loss.

    2 – Browns DT Chris Williams led the team with two sacks on Saturday – including one in the end zone resulting in a safety. The Browns haven't recorded a safety in a regular season game since the 2020 season, per StatMuse.

    2.4 – The Browns rushing attack struggled on Saturday, averaging just 2.4 yards per carry. Running backs D'Onta Foreman, Aidan Robbins and Pierre Strong Jr. combined for 37 rushing yards and QB Tyler Huntley led the team with 19 rushing yards.

    3 – Huntley and Dorian Thompson-Robinson combined for three interceptions. Huntley's first interception on the first drive of the third quarter was nearly returned for a touchdown and the Vikings scored just two plays later.

    .35 – The Browns struggled on third down, converting just over 35 percent of their third down attempts. Three of the Browns' five third-down conversions came on the same drive, which ended in a field goal.

    71 – The Browns allowed three plays of 20 or more yards on defense, the most devastating of which was a 71-yard touchdown pass from QB Jaren Hall to WR Jeshaun Jones.

    59 – TE Zaire Mitchell-Paden led the team with 59 receiving yards on four receptions. He connected with Huntley on the quarterback's first passing attempt of the game for a 30-yard completion.

    13 – The defensive line was all over the Vikings quarterbacks, particularly in the first half against Nick Mullens. While they only tallied three sacks, they consistently pressured the quarterback, tallying up 13 total quarterback hits.

    29 – The Browns continue to audition kick returners with the new dynamic kickoff rules in mind. WR Jaelon Darden had the best return of the night with a 29-yard return. Foreman had a 21-yard return and WR Ahmarean Brown had an 18-yard return.

    100 – K Cade York continued his perfect preseason, making his only field goal attempt, a 33-yarder, and nailing his only extra point attempt. The kicker had a 55-yard field goal and a successful PAT against Green Bay last week and has made 100 percent of his field goals and extra point attempts.

    4 – The Browns committed four total penalties – two fewer penalties than the Vikings – but they came at costly times throughout the game. On their second drive after an offensive holding penalty called against T Germain Ifedi, Cleveland went three-and-out – despite gaining 14 yards on the drive.

  • Shifting gears to park for a second.  Before we try to prematurely summarize the Offensive Line based on pre-season stats - keep in mind neither of our TWO Pro Bowl Guards have been playing. In addition, all THREE Offensive Tackles that ended on IR (followed by surgical repairs) in 2023 have probably had their reps limited/reduced throughout training camp.  When everyone is healthy - the ONLY I guy I worry about is Wills after a promising rookie year in 2020.  Because he's our blind side tackle - it's a significant concern.  

  • I sense a roller coaster year ahead... And I feel like its gonna be on the minus side... I get its preseason and all... But the way things are going.. I just don't see us going far in the PO's... I see a one and done wild card team... Even if we do make it... I just see Schwartz,Vrabel or Ventrone as the next man up... I get Kevvy was COY 2x's... But I see nothing special about him...

  • Hearing Tomlinson, Hurst and others are battling injuries while Ika's sophomore growing pains continue.  Did I really just type that a 350+ guy has growing pains?

    https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/by-the-numbers-dt-chris-williams-proves-pass-rushing-prowess

    Williams had two sacks, including one for a safety

    Aug 17, 2024 at 08:59 PM
     
    Patrick Warren

    By the Numbers: DT Chris Williams proves pass rushing prowess

    The Browns lost their second preseason game on Saturday, falling 27-12 to the Vikings. The offense moved the ball well at times but failed to capitalize on red zone opportunities.

    Here are some key numbers and stats from Saturday's loss.

    2 – Browns DT Chris Williams led the team with two sacks on Saturday – including one in the end zone resulting in a safety. The Browns haven't recorded a safety in a regular season game since the 2020 season, per StatMuse.

    2.4 – The Browns rushing attack struggled on Saturday, averaging just 2.4 yards per carry. Running backs D'Onta Foreman, Aidan Robbins and Pierre Strong Jr. combined for 37 rushing yards and QB Tyler Huntley led the team with 19 rushing yards.

    3 – Huntley and Dorian Thompson-Robinson combined for three interceptions. Huntley's first interception on the first drive of the third quarter was nearly returned for a touchdown and the Vikings scored just two plays later.

    .35 – The Browns struggled on third down, converting just over 35 percent of their third down attempts. Three of the Browns' five third-down conversions came on the same drive, which ended in a field goal.

    71 – The Browns allowed three plays of 20 or more yards on defense, the most devastating of which was a 71-yard touchdown pass from QB Jaren Hall to WR Jeshaun Jones.

    59 – TE Zaire Mitchell-Paden led the team with 59 receiving yards on four receptions. He connected with Huntley on the quarterback's first passing attempt of the game for a 30-yard completion.

    13 – The defensive line was all over the Vikings quarterbacks, particularly in the first half against Nick Mullens. While they only tallied three sacks, they consistently pressured the quarterback, tallying up 13 total quarterback hits.

    29 – The Browns continue to audition kick returners with the new dynamic kickoff rules in mind. WR Jaelon Darden had the best return of the night with a 29-yard return. Foreman had a 21-yard return and WR Ahmarean Brown had an 18-yard return.

    100 – K Cade York continued his perfect preseason, making his only field goal attempt, a 33-yarder, and nailing his only extra point attempt. The kicker had a 55-yard field goal and a successful PAT against Green Bay last week and has made 100 percent of his field goals and extra point attempts.

    4 – The Browns committed four total penalties – two fewer penalties than the Vikings – but they came at costly times throughout the game. On their second drive after an offensive holding penalty called against T Germain Ifedi, Cleveland went three-and-out – despite gaining 14 yards on the drive.

    @flugel said:

    Browns DT Chris Williams led the team with two sacks on Saturday

    I saw those two sacks.  Impressive.  Another guy that was disruptive on the DL was #51.  But he's going to be, at the least, suspended.  

    @flugel said:

    TE Zaire Mitchell-Paden led the team with 59 receiving yards on four receptions

    The announcers said that the coaches like him.  4 targets 4 catches.   Treyton Welch caught a couple of passes.  ( he's my sleeper TE )

    @flugel said:

    K Cade York continued his perfect preseason,

    I wonder which team we're preparing him for...

    @flugel said:

    The Browns rushing attack struggled on Saturday, averaging just 2.4 yards per carry. Running backs D'Onta Foreman, Aidan Robbins

    Yeah, the big fat guys who were playing the OL weren't too good collectively.  But Foreman got yards when there were none to get.  He made a nice cut-back move on one play.  He was also 5 targets 5 receptions.  ( I like him )  And Robbins ( my sleeper RB ) made a couple of catches.  

  • @flugel said:

    Browns DT Chris Williams led the team with two sacks on Saturday

    I saw those two sacks.  Impressive.  Another guy that was disruptive on the DL was #51.  But he's going to be, at the least, suspended.  

    @flugel said:

    TE Zaire Mitchell-Paden led the team with 59 receiving yards on four receptions

    The announcers said that the coaches like him.  4 targets 4 catches.   Treyton Welch caught a couple of passes.  ( he's my sleeper TE )

    @flugel said:

    K Cade York continued his perfect preseason,

    I wonder which team we're preparing him for...

    @flugel said:

    The Browns rushing attack struggled on Saturday, averaging just 2.4 yards per carry. Running backs D'Onta Foreman, Aidan Robbins

    Yeah, the big fat guys who were playing the OL weren't too good collectively.  But Foreman got yards when there were none to get.  He made a nice cut-back move on one play.  He was also 5 targets 5 receptions.  ( I like him )  And Robbins ( my sleeper RB ) made a couple of catches.  

    @orion said:

    I saw those two sacks.  Impressive.  Another guy that was disruptive on the DL was #51.  But he's going to be, at the least, suspended.  

    The announcers said that the coaches like him.  4 targets 4 catches.   Treyton Welch caught a couple of passes.  ( he's my sleeper TE )

    I wonder which team we're preparing him for...

    Yeah, the big fat guys who were playing the OL weren't too good collectively.  But Foreman got yards when there were none to get.  He made a nice cut-back move on one play.  He was also 5 targets 5 receptions.  ( I like him )  And Robbins ( my sleeper RB ) made a couple of catches.  

    Well said!  I think we all know we didn't need a massive overhaul of talent winning 11 games in spite of needing 5 different QBs.  I'm glad we're not risking any major injuries to starters in these meaningless games.  However, the starters do scrimmage the starters from each of our preseason opponents.  I think they're smart about it with quick whistles and limiting how long the starters participate in those - although I'm not there to confirm this thought.

  • @orion said:

    I saw those two sacks.  Impressive.  Another guy that was disruptive on the DL was #51.  But he's going to be, at the least, suspended.  

    The announcers said that the coaches like him.  4 targets 4 catches.   Treyton Welch caught a couple of passes.  ( he's my sleeper TE )

    I wonder which team we're preparing him for...

    Yeah, the big fat guys who were playing the OL weren't too good collectively.  But Foreman got yards when there were none to get.  He made a nice cut-back move on one play.  He was also 5 targets 5 receptions.  ( I like him )  And Robbins ( my sleeper RB ) made a couple of catches.  

    Well said!  I think we all know we didn't need a massive overhaul of talent winning 11 games in spite of needing 5 different QBs.  I'm glad we're not risking any major injuries to starters in these meaningless games.  However, the starters do scrimmage the starters from each of our preseason opponents.  I think they're smart about it with quick whistles and limiting how long the starters participate in those - although I'm not there to confirm this thought.

    @flugel said:

    However, the starters do scrimmage the starters from each of our preseason opponents.

    hmm...I wasn't aware of that.  When do they fit those scrimmages in?  I thought that it was just the one team (this year, the Vikings).

  • @flugel said:

    However, the starters do scrimmage the starters from each of our preseason opponents.

    hmm...I wasn't aware of that.  When do they fit those scrimmages in?  I thought that it was just the one team (this year, the Vikings).

    @orion said:

    hmm...I wasn't aware of that.  When do they fit those scrimmages in?  I thought that it was just the one team (this year, the Vikings).

    I think you're right about this year with only 3 opponents - they chose to do it with the 2nd opponent (Minnesota).  Last year I'm pretty sure they did it with 2 of the opponents. I know the Eagles was one of the ones they practiced and scrimmaged with 1 or 2 days prior to the exhibition game. They did this with another one of the following pre-season opponents NY Jets, Washington Commanders, KC Chiefs.  I can't remember which one; but I think it was the Jets - because they came to Cleveland to play in the Hall of Fame Game. That would have been an ideal time for a visiting opponent to extend a stay while squeezing in another opportunity to practice and scrimmage with another team.  

  • I sense a roller coaster year ahead... And I feel like its gonna be on the minus side... I get its preseason and all... But the way things are going.. I just don't see us going far in the PO's... I see a one and done wild card team... Even if we do make it... I just see Schwartz,Vrabel or Ventrone as the next man up... I get Kevvy was COY 2x's... But I see nothing special about him...

    @nickers said:

    I sense a roller coaster year ahead... And I feel like its gonna be on the minus side... I get its preseason and all... But the way things are going.. I just don't see us going far in the PO's... I see a one and done wild card team... Even if we do make it... I just see Schwartz,Vrabel or Ventrone as the next man up... I get Kevvy was COY 2x's... But I see nothing special about him...

    It all depends on how healthy the offensive line is in my opinion.  If the same thing happens at Right Tackle with season ending injuries again, I doubt the Browns are as fortunate as they were last year with it and I'll be drinking the same Decaf you are.  I'm not there yet though.  In fact, time for my 3rd cup of Turbo-Caf.  

  • @nickers said:

    I sense a roller coaster year ahead... And I feel like its gonna be on the minus side... I get its preseason and all... But the way things are going.. I just don't see us going far in the PO's... I see a one and done wild card team... Even if we do make it... I just see Schwartz,Vrabel or Ventrone as the next man up... I get Kevvy was COY 2x's... But I see nothing special about him...

    It all depends on how healthy the offensive line is in my opinion.  If the same thing happens at Right Tackle with season ending injuries again, I doubt the Browns are as fortunate as they were last year with it and I'll be drinking the same Decaf you are.  I'm not there yet though.  In fact, time for my 3rd cup of Turbo-Caf.  

    @flugel said:

    It all depends on how healthy the offensive line is in my opinion.  If the same thing happens at Right Tackle with season ending injuries again, I doubt the Browns are as fortunate as they were last year with it and I'll be drinking the same Decaf you are.  I'm not there yet though.  In fact, time for my 3rd cup of Turbo-Caf.  

    Yeah I can't consume caffeine anymore.. it induces and intensifies my seizures