Skip to content

Browns Welcome 13 Players to Practice Squad

The Browns Board
15 5 472
  • FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #2

    Ok, random thoughts from the overcaffeinated:

    Glad to see Michael Woods EARNED this opportunity for himself after all the bad luck with injuries last year and since he arrived...

    James Proche brings experience as a Return Specialist to our Special Teams for another season IF NEEDED there. I think he also caught a TD pass last week unless that was beer-induced sundowners.

    If you're not already questioning my sanity or football IQ, I'm gonna say I'm glad they kept Lorenzo Thompson as a backup Left Tackle. He was #59 and he played a lot against Seattle and made some rookie mistakes.  Experience will probably shape up some of the fundamentals and techniques that appeared to need polish.  After seeing an Entitled Wills not always willing to honor the effort expected of him in that 1st round contract - I can get cozy watching a blind side tackle that will play hard (understanding every snap could be his last). https://draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?PlayerId=1092231&DraftYear=2024

    DT Sam Kamara is a guy that started off with the Bears in 2021 before the Browns signed him last year. I don't know a lot about him. My guess is the Browns think he can play inside or outside if/when called upon.  He's only 6' tall at 272 lbs so what he lacks in size might help him with leverage/pad height and quickness at the snap.

    We needed the other 2 Tackles (Germain Ifedi and Roy Mbaeteka) as well.

    Looks like part of Andrew Berry's decision to trade DT Williams to the Bears was because he knew he wanted to keep HIS 7th round draft pick Jowon Briggs. Any player whose parents didn't want to spell his name right or perhaps just spell it better has a special place in my heart. I'm about 1 more cup of coffee from my wife changing all the locks on our doors next time I leave. 

    Justin Hardee is the guy that excelled on STs with the Jets. The Browns list him as a CB; but he played WR his first 6 years in the NFL. Clearly his versatility is welcomed here. Tony Brown II was the other Corner the Browns felt they needed given the reality Newsome is coming back from a recent surgery to his hamstring while Ward just got cleared to practice again from his latest concussion. Nice to see a Safety kept and former and former ASU standout Chris Edmonds is that guy.

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #3

    Depth Chart: Notice no one is currently listed behind Cooper at that WR spot.

    https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/depth-chart

  • Depth Chart: Notice no one is currently listed behind Cooper at that WR spot.

    https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/depth-chart

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #4

    @texasag1969 said:

    Depth Chart: Notice no one is currently listed behind Cooper at that WR spot.

    https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/depth-chart

    That looks like it might be outdated Aggies because Luke Wypler had a season ending injury.

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #5

    No real surprises there.  I'd say most of the better teams try to sign back as many of their guys as they can.  It's usually the bottom feeder who sign more guys off other FA cuts.  If nothing else, familiar gets the nod most of the time.  Those guys have been through a camp and more or less know the system.  That allows you to bring them up in a pinch early in the season over a guy from another team who might take 3-4 weeks before understanding the Browns way.

    No doubt there will still be a few moves to make.  I am pretty sure both Dunn and Foreman will be back soon enough, and we still have Huntley who I am sure we are probably trying to move for a pick or player.  That is unless we decide to keep him in a hybrid role....a little receiver, RB, WildDawg package guy.  I think he could bring value in that role.

  • IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
    #6

    Just saw that we are expected to add TE Cameron Latu, the former 49er 3rd round pick.

    Latu Berada Niktu!

    https://www.ninersnation.com/2024/8/28/24230856/cam-latu-49ers-browns-nfl-draft-third-round

  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #7

    I wanted TE Treyton Welch and RB Adrian Robbins on the PS.  I didn't see much of Welch in the games but Robbins played...and he caught passes, ran hard (nobody could run on our team because of the guys playing, or not playing, on the OL).  I thought he was a good fit for the PS.  - his 40 was 4.59, so...

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Depth Chart: Notice no one is currently listed behind Cooper at that WR spot.

    https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/depth-chart

    That looks like it might be outdated Aggies because Luke Wypler had a season ending injury.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @flugel said:

    That looks like it might be outdated Aggies because Luke Wypler had a season ending injury.

    Interesting - is Foreman back on the team? Every other chart I find still has him on it.

  • Just saw that we are expected to add TE Cameron Latu, the former 49er 3rd round pick.

    Latu Berada Niktu!

    https://www.ninersnation.com/2024/8/28/24230856/cam-latu-49ers-browns-nfl-draft-third-round

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @ibleedbrown said:

    Just saw that we are expected to add TE Cameron Latu, the former 49er 3rd round pick.

    Latu Berada Niktu!

    https://www.ninersnation.com/2024/8/28/24230856/cam-latu-49ers-browns-nfl-draft-third-round

    Nice touch Klaatu.?

  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #10

    Signed RB Gary Brightwell, CB Mike Ford Jr., WR Tulu Griffin, TE Cameron Latu and TE Blake Whiteheart to the practice squad

    Released LS Rex Sunahara from the practice squad

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #11

    Well we picked our FF League teams tonight and I took Nick Chubb for the long haul. But I also got Derrick Henry to shore up that side of the game. Additionally I got Baker's two top targets in Evans and Goodwin. That'll make one Baker crybaby here happy. LOL!? 

    Oh, and our kicker along with Justin Tucker.? 

    And did I say I have Mahomes as my main Man?

  • @flugel said:

    That looks like it might be outdated Aggies because Luke Wypler had a season ending injury.

    Interesting - is Foreman back on the team? Every other chart I find still has him on it.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @texasag1969 said:

    Interesting - is Foreman back on the team? Every other chart I find still has him on it.

    From what I understand - he hasn't officially returned.  This isn't anything to go by officially; but I did a fantasy football mock draft today - and it didn't have a team listed next to his name.  I wonder if the reluctance by the Browns here might have anything to do with him getting injured again at Seattle.   I was really looking forward to watching a physical back like him.  

  • Well we picked our FF League teams tonight and I took Nick Chubb for the long haul. But I also got Derrick Henry to shore up that side of the game. Additionally I got Baker's two top targets in Evans and Goodwin. That'll make one Baker crybaby here happy. LOL!? 

    Oh, and our kicker along with Justin Tucker.? 

    And did I say I have Mahomes as my main Man?

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @texasag1969 said:

    Well we picked our FF League teams tonight and I took Nick Chubb for the long haul. But I also got Derrick Henry to shore up that side of the game. Additionally I got Baker's two top targets in Evans and Goodwin. That'll make one Baker crybaby here happy. LOL!? 

    Oh, and our kicker along with Justin Tucker.? 

    And did I say I have Mahomes as my main Man?

    Nice!!!!   Is that a PPR league Aggies?   Mahomes has a lot of new toys in that passing so this is a good year to get him.  

  • @flugel said:

    That looks like it might be outdated Aggies because Luke Wypler had a season ending injury.

    Interesting - is Foreman back on the team? Every other chart I find still has him on it.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #14

    @texasag1969 said:

    Interesting - is Foreman back on the team? Every other chart I find still has him on it.

    Ok Aggies - this is what we were waiting for...

    https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-sign-rb-d-onta-foreman-add-five-to-practice-squad

    Browns sign RB D'Onta Foreman, add five to practice squad

    CB Mike Ford Jr. returns to the Browns as a member of the practice squad

    Aug 29, 2024 at 04:22 PM

    The Cleveland Browns have made the following roster moves:

    Signed (1):

    RB D'Onta Foreman

    Contract terminated (1):

    QB Tyler Huntley

    Signed to practice squad (5):

    RB Gary Brightwell
    CB Mike Ford Jr.
    WR Tulu Griffin
    TE Cameron Latu
    TE Blake Whiteheart

    Released from practice squad (1):

    LS Rex Sunahara

    Foreman (6-0, 235) is in his eighth NFL season out of Texas. Originally a third-round pick by Houston in 2017, Foreman has appeared in 52 career games with 21 starts with the Texans (2017-18), Colts (2019), Titans (2020-21), Panthers (2022) and Bears (2023). He has rushed for 2,326 yards with 14 touchdowns, while adding 34 receptions for 342 yards and three scores. Last season, Foreman rushed for 425 yards and four touchdowns in nine games. He spent training camp with the Browns this year. Foreman will wear No. 27.

    Brightwell (6-1, 220) is in his fourth NFL season out of Arizona. Originally selected by the Giants in the sixth round in 2021, Brightwell has appeared in 37 career games. He has rushed for 164 yards on 41 attempts with one touchdown, while adding 11 receptions for 92 yards. He appeared in seven games last season with the Giants. Brightwell will wear No. 35.

    Ford (6-0, 195) is in his seventh NFL season out of Southeast Missouri State. Originally signed by Detroit as undrafted free agent in 2018, Ford has appeared in 77 career games with the Lions (2018-20), Broncos (2021), Falcons (2022) and Browns (2023). Last season, he appeared in 16 games with Cleveland and recorded 19 tackles and one interception on defense, while finishing second on the team with nine special teams tackles. Ford will wear No 31.

    Griffin (5-10, 180) is a rookie out of Mississippi State. He was originally signed by the Raiders as an undrafted free agent. He will wear No. 83.

    Latu (6-5, 245) is in his second NFL season out of Alabama. He was originally a third-round pick by San Francisco in 2023. Latu will wear No 82.

    Whiteheart (6-4, 250) is officially in his second NFL season out of Wake Forest. Originally signed by Arizona as an undrafted free agent in 2023, Whiteheart appeared in two games as a rookie. He will wear No. 86.

     

     

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Well we picked our FF League teams tonight and I took Nick Chubb for the long haul. But I also got Derrick Henry to shore up that side of the game. Additionally I got Baker's two top targets in Evans and Goodwin. That'll make one Baker crybaby here happy. LOL!? 

    Oh, and our kicker along with Justin Tucker.? 

    And did I say I have Mahomes as my main Man?

    Nice!!!!   Is that a PPR league Aggies?   Mahomes has a lot of new toys in that passing so this is a good year to get him.  

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @flugel said:

    Nice!!!!   Is that a PPR league Aggies?   Mahomes has a lot of new toys in that passing so this is a good year to get him.  

    Our scoring system is points for TDs which is less for the QB throwing a TD than a running or reception TD for WRs and RBs, total yards above 300 for QBs, 100 for RBs and 70 for WRs. No point system for number of receptions or throws completed. But still he usually manages to be above 300 per game and usually has multiple TDs thrown with an occasional running TD. I took Henry because things will open up if they try to go after the QB who has the running ability to beat you around the corners. If they just try to stuff Henry then Jackson will eat their lunch. This is just the kind of back that makes a good running game line like they have all that more effective. I had planned to take Jackson and then Henry, but the two picking ahead left Mahomes for me as 3rd overall picker. Could not pass that up because they guy who had him last year won the most weekends. I got Olave, C. Kirk and Goodwin really well past where they should have been picked. Like 25, 20 and 50+ players late. Throw in Nacua, Evans and Kittle and I think I have a good receiving corps. Nick Chubb was at #94 overall. I trust he will make a fine recovery by around week 6 or 7. RBs Aaron Jones and James Cook were also about 20 later than they should have been. Singletary I took very late, so he's my sleeper RB.