Skip to content

Kurt Warner Breaks Down Watson Film

The Browns Board
17 9 897 1
  • @orion said:

    There were guys open on every play Warner showed.  And he showed a lot of plays.  And usually open guys were in the direction that he was looking.  He just doesn't throw it.  It's like the game is moving too fast for him.  And that's because he hardly PLAYS the game.  He's either hurt or suspended.  Before last Sunday, when was his last game?  I don't recall and don't bother looking it up...we know it was a looong time ago.  

    And if he did throw it - it was off target. Either leading into the defender or not in a spot where receiver can easily get it.  I can attribute some of that to not playing with the 1st string during preseason/practice (another issue I have) but as you said he just hasn't been on the field that much.  

    bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
    #6

    @usfbrown said:

    And if he did throw it - it was off target. Either leading into the defender or not in a spot where receiver can easily get it.  I can attribute some of that to not playing with the 1st string during preseason/practice (another issue I have) but as you said he just hasn't been on the field that much.  

    After people saw Joey go from throwing to his kids in the backyard to a perfectly executed TD drive in his first NFL series in a year I don’t think anybody will accept the excuse of lack of reps.

    Watson just appears like a guy who got his pay day and doesn’t care anymore. His physical abilities are deteriorating too - partly from injury partly from a lack of practice probably.

  • @usfbrown said:

    And if he did throw it - it was off target. Either leading into the defender or not in a spot where receiver can easily get it.  I can attribute some of that to not playing with the 1st string during preseason/practice (another issue I have) but as you said he just hasn't been on the field that much.  

    After people saw Joey go from throwing to his kids in the backyard to a perfectly executed TD drive in his first NFL series in a year I don’t think anybody will accept the excuse of lack of reps.

    Watson just appears like a guy who got his pay day and doesn’t care anymore. His physical abilities are deteriorating too - partly from injury partly from a lack of practice probably.

    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @bbedward said:

    After people saw Joey go from throwing to his kids in the backyard to a perfectly executed TD drive in his first NFL series in a year I don’t think anybody will accept the excuse of lack of reps.

    Watson just appears like a guy who got his pay day and doesn’t care anymore. His physical abilities are deteriorating too - partly from injury partly from a lack of practice probably.

    Just, no passion. No desire to win, nothing.

    funny:

    https://www.facebook.com/reel/2331070193894738

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #8
  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
    #9

    I'm thinking back to the run Ricky run trade by Mike Ditka for Ricky Williams to come to the worst trade ever. If this stays status quo, I think the DW trade beats it as worst ever. That worst trade ever was their entire draft in 1999 plus two of it's top 3 in 2000 for a move from 12th to 5th in 1999 to pick up Ricky who turned out to be an absolute disaster like JFF for similar reasons though he did have two 1,000 yd rushing years for them, so not quite as bad. Sports Illustrated rated it the 2nd worst ever behind the Hershel Walker deal which led Dallas to players who formed the basis of 3 Super Bowl wins while Walker going to Minn. led to not even a sniff of the SB. To me it's debatable which was the worst. I'm beginning to think the DW deal is going to beat both as worst ever, no contest.

  • I'm thinking back to the run Ricky run trade by Mike Ditka for Ricky Williams to come to the worst trade ever. If this stays status quo, I think the DW trade beats it as worst ever. That worst trade ever was their entire draft in 1999 plus two of it's top 3 in 2000 for a move from 12th to 5th in 1999 to pick up Ricky who turned out to be an absolute disaster like JFF for similar reasons though he did have two 1,000 yd rushing years for them, so not quite as bad. Sports Illustrated rated it the 2nd worst ever behind the Hershel Walker deal which led Dallas to players who formed the basis of 3 Super Bowl wins while Walker going to Minn. led to not even a sniff of the SB. To me it's debatable which was the worst. I'm beginning to think the DW deal is going to beat both as worst ever, no contest.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #10

    @texasag1969 said:

    I'm thinking back to the run Ricky run trade by Mike Ditka for Ricky Williams to come to the worst trade ever. If this stays status quo, I think the DW trade beats it as worst ever. That worst trade ever was their entire draft in 1999 plus two of it's top 3 in 2000 for a move from 12th to 5th in 1999 to pick up Ricky who turned out to be an absolute disaster like JFF for similar reasons though he did have two 1,000 yd rushing years for them, so not quite as bad. Sports Illustrated rated it the 2nd worst ever behind the Hershel Walker deal which led Dallas to players who formed the basis of 3 Super Bowl wins while Walker going to Minn. led to not even a sniff of the SB. To me it's debatable which was the worst. I'm beginning to think the DW deal is going to beat both as worst ever, no contest.

    Well said Aggies. Houston couldn't have had a better first round last year than CJ Stroud (Offensive Rookie of the Year) and Will Anderson Jr (Defensive Rookie of the Year). After Cleveland aced the 1st round in 78 drafting both Ozzie Newsome and Clay Mathews; the Browns frequented the playoff throughout the 80s. FWIW, the Chicago Bears drafted Gale Sayers and Dick Butkus in the 1st round of the same draft; and they never made it to the playoffs even once for the Bears. 

    Think about this, the Browns had multiple drafts since 99 where they had 2 first round selections - and until 2017 the best they could usually do was only get 1 guy right (and sometimes zero).  In 2007, they drafted HOF Left Tackle Joe Thomas at #3 overall in 2007; and traded up for Brady Quinn at #22 overall.  In 2012, they drafted Trent Richardson at #3 overall and Brandon Weeden at #22 overall; and you know the rest of that story.  In 2014, they drafted Justin Gilbert at #8 and Johnny Manziel at #22.  In 2015, Danny Shelton #12 and Cam Erving #19. It improved in 2017 with Myles Garrett #1, Jabrill Peppers at #25 (still starting for the NE Patriots) and David Njoku at #29.  In 2018, Baker Mayfield #1 (led Cleveland & Tampa Bay to the playoffs) and Denzel Ward #4. 

    The best of those drafts were in 2017 and 2018; and coincidently, the Browns made the post season in 2020 and 2023.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I'm thinking back to the run Ricky run trade by Mike Ditka for Ricky Williams to come to the worst trade ever. If this stays status quo, I think the DW trade beats it as worst ever. That worst trade ever was their entire draft in 1999 plus two of it's top 3 in 2000 for a move from 12th to 5th in 1999 to pick up Ricky who turned out to be an absolute disaster like JFF for similar reasons though he did have two 1,000 yd rushing years for them, so not quite as bad. Sports Illustrated rated it the 2nd worst ever behind the Hershel Walker deal which led Dallas to players who formed the basis of 3 Super Bowl wins while Walker going to Minn. led to not even a sniff of the SB. To me it's debatable which was the worst. I'm beginning to think the DW deal is going to beat both as worst ever, no contest.

    Well said Aggies. Houston couldn't have had a better first round last year than CJ Stroud (Offensive Rookie of the Year) and Will Anderson Jr (Defensive Rookie of the Year). After Cleveland aced the 1st round in 78 drafting both Ozzie Newsome and Clay Mathews; the Browns frequented the playoff throughout the 80s. FWIW, the Chicago Bears drafted Gale Sayers and Dick Butkus in the 1st round of the same draft; and they never made it to the playoffs even once for the Bears. 

    Think about this, the Browns had multiple drafts since 99 where they had 2 first round selections - and until 2017 the best they could usually do was only get 1 guy right (and sometimes zero).  In 2007, they drafted HOF Left Tackle Joe Thomas at #3 overall in 2007; and traded up for Brady Quinn at #22 overall.  In 2012, they drafted Trent Richardson at #3 overall and Brandon Weeden at #22 overall; and you know the rest of that story.  In 2014, they drafted Justin Gilbert at #8 and Johnny Manziel at #22.  In 2015, Danny Shelton #12 and Cam Erving #19. It improved in 2017 with Myles Garrett #1, Jabrill Peppers at #25 (still starting for the NE Patriots) and David Njoku at #29.  In 2018, Baker Mayfield #1 (led Cleveland & Tampa Bay to the playoffs) and Denzel Ward #4. 

    The best of those drafts were in 2017 and 2018; and coincidently, the Browns made the post season in 2020 and 2023.

    USFBrownU USFBrown wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @flugel said:

    Well said Aggies. Houston couldn't have had a better first round last year than CJ Stroud (Offensive Rookie of the Year) and Will Anderson Jr (Defensive Rookie of the Year). After Cleveland aced the 1st round in 78 drafting both Ozzie Newsome and Clay Mathews; the Browns frequented the playoff throughout the 80s. FWIW, the Chicago Bears drafted Gale Sayers and Dick Butkus in the 1st round of the same draft; and they never made it to the playoffs even once for the Bears. 

    Think about this, the Browns had multiple drafts since 99 where they had 2 first round selections - and until 2017 the best they could usually do was only get 1 guy right (and sometimes zero).  In 2007, they drafted HOF Left Tackle Joe Thomas at #3 overall in 2007; and traded up for Brady Quinn at #22 overall.  In 2012, they drafted Trent Richardson at #3 overall and Brandon Weeden at #22 overall; and you know the rest of that story.  In 2014, they drafted Justin Gilbert at #8 and Johnny Manziel at #22.  In 2015, Danny Shelton #12 and Cam Erving #19. It improved in 2017 with Myles Garrett #1, Jabrill Peppers at #25 (still starting for the NE Patriots) and David Njoku at #29.  In 2018, Baker Mayfield #1 (led Cleveland & Tampa Bay to the playoffs) and Denzel Ward #4. 

    The best of those drafts were in 2017 and 2018; and coincidently, the Browns made the post season in 2020 and 2023.

    That was a depressing read.  It's nearly impossible to draft so bad.. At least the Browns were good at something - drafting busts

  • @flugel said:

    Well said Aggies. Houston couldn't have had a better first round last year than CJ Stroud (Offensive Rookie of the Year) and Will Anderson Jr (Defensive Rookie of the Year). After Cleveland aced the 1st round in 78 drafting both Ozzie Newsome and Clay Mathews; the Browns frequented the playoff throughout the 80s. FWIW, the Chicago Bears drafted Gale Sayers and Dick Butkus in the 1st round of the same draft; and they never made it to the playoffs even once for the Bears. 

    Think about this, the Browns had multiple drafts since 99 where they had 2 first round selections - and until 2017 the best they could usually do was only get 1 guy right (and sometimes zero).  In 2007, they drafted HOF Left Tackle Joe Thomas at #3 overall in 2007; and traded up for Brady Quinn at #22 overall.  In 2012, they drafted Trent Richardson at #3 overall and Brandon Weeden at #22 overall; and you know the rest of that story.  In 2014, they drafted Justin Gilbert at #8 and Johnny Manziel at #22.  In 2015, Danny Shelton #12 and Cam Erving #19. It improved in 2017 with Myles Garrett #1, Jabrill Peppers at #25 (still starting for the NE Patriots) and David Njoku at #29.  In 2018, Baker Mayfield #1 (led Cleveland & Tampa Bay to the playoffs) and Denzel Ward #4. 

    The best of those drafts were in 2017 and 2018; and coincidently, the Browns made the post season in 2020 and 2023.

    That was a depressing read.  It's nearly impossible to draft so bad.. At least the Browns were good at something - drafting busts

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @usfbrown said:

    That was a depressing read.  It's nearly impossible to draft so bad.. At least the Browns were good at something - drafting busts

    Yeah, sorry to do that to you guys but to know where the Browns are going it's important to understand where they've been.  The good news USF is it did show us the drafting of multiple 1st round picks improved as we got to 2017 and 2018 to the extent Garrett, Ward, and Njoku all had a great season for our team that won 11 games last year.  Keep in mind, this team also drafted Nick Chubb at #35 overall in 2018.  That's a great nucleus of guys despite the horrible luck Chubb encountered last year. That's why the Browns reached the playoffs twice between 2020 and 2023 when you get right down to it.

    Last but not least, welcome to the board!  That was a great series of posts you treated us to yesterday in your first appearance.

  • @usfbrown said:

    That was a depressing read.  It's nearly impossible to draft so bad.. At least the Browns were good at something - drafting busts

    Yeah, sorry to do that to you guys but to know where the Browns are going it's important to understand where they've been.  The good news USF is it did show us the drafting of multiple 1st round picks improved as we got to 2017 and 2018 to the extent Garrett, Ward, and Njoku all had a great season for our team that won 11 games last year.  Keep in mind, this team also drafted Nick Chubb at #35 overall in 2018.  That's a great nucleus of guys despite the horrible luck Chubb encountered last year. That's why the Browns reached the playoffs twice between 2020 and 2023 when you get right down to it.

    Last but not least, welcome to the board!  That was a great series of posts you treated us to yesterday in your first appearance.

    USFBrownU USFBrown wrote on last edited by USFBrown
    #13

    @flugel said:

    Yeah, sorry to do that to you guys but to know where the Browns are going it's important to understand where they've been.  The good news USF is it did show us the drafting of multiple 1st round picks improved as we got to 2017 and 2018 to the extent Garrett, Ward, and Njoku all had a great season for our team that won 11 games last year.  Keep in mind, this team also drafted Nick Chubb at #35 overall in 2018.  That's a great nucleus of guys despite the horrible luck Chubb encountered last year. That's why the Browns reached the playoffs twice between 2020 and 2023 when you get right down to it.

    Last but not least, welcome to the board!  That was a great series of posts you treated us to yesterday in your first appearance.

    You're right about the recent trend of drafting. I do think the front office has done very well as your points show. 

    Thanks for the welcome. I joined way back in 2009 but have been on a hiatus for many years. 

  • IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
    #14

    Watched the video in the OP. Poor Kurt almost sounded frustrated as the breakdown carried on, saying the same refrains. Doesn’t exactly inspire confidence in QB 1. 

    Thanks for posting.

  • PackerNationP PackerNation wrote on last edited by PackerNation
    #15

    When I watch Deshaun, I see mega talent, but the coaching is not the best, & he has a lot of crap clouding his mind. 

    I played college football in the MAC. When my head was not clear, my performance was not up to the level I held myself to. When you are dealing with all kinds of bullshit in life, sometimes it's tough to even brush your fucking teeth every day, much less go to class, practice, and play on Saturday. By the time my head was clear it was too late for a football career. Now my life is great, but I often think what could have been in football, cuz I was that dude in the day.

    Deshaun is not going to play well until his head is free of bullshit. I can see in his eyes that his head is not right. I know that look well.

    A lot of his shit is self-inflicted, but that doesn't change the fact it is holding him back when on the grass.

  • When I watch Deshaun, I see mega talent, but the coaching is not the best, & he has a lot of crap clouding his mind. 

    I played college football in the MAC. When my head was not clear, my performance was not up to the level I held myself to. When you are dealing with all kinds of bullshit in life, sometimes it's tough to even brush your fucking teeth every day, much less go to class, practice, and play on Saturday. By the time my head was clear it was too late for a football career. Now my life is great, but I often think what could have been in football, cuz I was that dude in the day.

    Deshaun is not going to play well until his head is free of bullshit. I can see in his eyes that his head is not right. I know that look well.

    A lot of his shit is self-inflicted, but that doesn't change the fact it is holding him back when on the grass.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @packernation said:

    When I watch Deshaun, I see mega talent, but the coaching is not the best, & he has a lot of crap clouding his mind. 

    I played college football in the MAC. When my head was not clear, my performance was not up to the level I held myself to. When you are dealing with all kinds of bullshit in life, sometimes it's tough to even brush your fucking teeth every day, much less go to class, practice, and play on Saturday. By the time my head was clear it was too late for a football career. Now my life is great, but I often think what could have been in football, cuz I was that dude in the day.

    Deshaun is not going to play well until his head is free of bullshit. I can see in his eyes that his head is not right. I know that look well.

    A lot of his shit is self-inflicted, but that doesn't change the fact it is holding him back when on the grass.

    He's cooked... If he gets suspended again.. Say adios to him and his feeble career..

  • @packernation said:

    When I watch Deshaun, I see mega talent, but the coaching is not the best, & he has a lot of crap clouding his mind. 

    I played college football in the MAC. When my head was not clear, my performance was not up to the level I held myself to. When you are dealing with all kinds of bullshit in life, sometimes it's tough to even brush your fucking teeth every day, much less go to class, practice, and play on Saturday. By the time my head was clear it was too late for a football career. Now my life is great, but I often think what could have been in football, cuz I was that dude in the day.

    Deshaun is not going to play well until his head is free of bullshit. I can see in his eyes that his head is not right. I know that look well.

    A lot of his shit is self-inflicted, but that doesn't change the fact it is holding him back when on the grass.

    He's cooked... If he gets suspended again.. Say adios to him and his feeble career..

    PackerNationP PackerNation wrote on last edited by PackerNation
    #17

    @nickers said:

    He's cooked... If he gets suspended again.. Say adios to him and his feeble career..

    That is fine...I am just telling you why his performance is lacking.

    He keeps getting in trouble because his mind is not clear. He needs help. 

    I wish he would leave Cleveland, take a year off, and then come back with a clear mind & win a Super Bowl somewhere else.

    The Browns will never win a Super Bowl. Sorry, the Browns can't have nice things.?