Skip to content

The Official Browns at Commanders Game Thread Oct 6th

The Browns Board
212 27 6.5k 1
  • @tiamat63 said:

     Pettine's downfall was two told. 

    I won't belabor the point on Pettine. If you guys feel Pettine was a good head coach, and absolve him from most of the blame for the dumpster fire that was his 2 years in Cleveland, more power to ya.

    I will again say the rest of the league does not agree with many here. Pettine never got even a sniff for a head coaching job again. And after his disaster as a DC in Green Bay, he was never offered a DC position ever again.

    I listened to ever presser Pettine gave every Thursday when the coordinators spoke in Green Bay. It was a clown show. I saw every snap of his defenses in Green Bay. Pettine had zero clue. The players justly totally tuned him out. When he was fired, I knew he would never be offered a DC position again.

    I wished his family well. And I thanked God he was gone.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63

    @packernation said:

    I won't belabor the point on Pettine. If you guys feel Pettine was a good head coach, and absolve him from most of the blame for the dumpster fire that was his 2 years in Cleveland, more power to ya.

    I will again say the rest of the league does not agree with many here. Pettine never got even a sniff for a head coaching job again. And after his disaster as a DC in Green Bay, he was never offered a DC position ever again.

    I listened to ever presser Pettine gave every Thursday when the coordinators spoke in Green Bay. It was a clown show. I saw every snap of his defenses in Green Bay. Pettine had zero clue. The players justly totally tuned him out. When he was fired, I knew he would never be offered a DC position again.

    I wished his family well. And I thanked God he was gone.

    Oh, no.  I don't feel like he himself was/is a good coach.   I view him in a similar mold as I do Coach Tomlin.  A players coach, good discipline, good for the locker room, works well with the other coaches and doesn't interfere, especially offensively, with their designs.    Neither are particularly elite chess players, or even good for that matter.  

    As a duo, he and Shanahan were effective. But only as a duo.    

    Edit: and it was even more obvious when the Bills defense took an even bigger step forward that 2014 season after Pettine left.  It was clear that he wasn't fit to be a playcaller or the type of coach to mold around his philosophy of defense.    As a CEO and someone who delegates well to organize? Absolutely.  Again, Tomlin-esque. 

  • @tiamat63 said:

     Pettine's downfall was two told. 

    I won't belabor the point on Pettine. If you guys feel Pettine was a good head coach, and absolve him from most of the blame for the dumpster fire that was his 2 years in Cleveland, more power to ya.

    I will again say the rest of the league does not agree with many here. Pettine never got even a sniff for a head coaching job again. And after his disaster as a DC in Green Bay, he was never offered a DC position ever again.

    I listened to ever presser Pettine gave every Thursday when the coordinators spoke in Green Bay. It was a clown show. I saw every snap of his defenses in Green Bay. Pettine had zero clue. The players justly totally tuned him out. When he was fired, I knew he would never be offered a DC position again.

    I wished his family well. And I thanked God he was gone.

    sydS syd wrote on last edited by

    @packernation said:

    I won't belabor the point on Pettine. If you guys feel Pettine was a good head coach, and absolve him from most of the blame for the dumpster fire that was his 2 years in Cleveland, more power to ya.

    I will again say the rest of the league does not agree with many here. Pettine never got even a sniff for a head coaching job again. And after his disaster as a DC in Green Bay, he was never offered a DC position ever again.

    I listened to ever presser Pettine gave every Thursday when the coordinators spoke in Green Bay. It was a clown show. I saw every snap of his defenses in Green Bay. Pettine had zero clue. The players justly totally tuned him out. When he was fired, I knew he would never be offered a DC position again.

    I wished his family well. And I thanked God he was gone.

    Fuck Lombardi

    Side Note: Did you know #4 has settled more law suits than  thrown for TD'S ? Well it's true.

  • @packernation said:

    I won't belabor the point on Pettine. If you guys feel Pettine was a good head coach, and absolve him from most of the blame for the dumpster fire that was his 2 years in Cleveland, more power to ya.

    I will again say the rest of the league does not agree with many here. Pettine never got even a sniff for a head coaching job again. And after his disaster as a DC in Green Bay, he was never offered a DC position ever again.

    I listened to ever presser Pettine gave every Thursday when the coordinators spoke in Green Bay. It was a clown show. I saw every snap of his defenses in Green Bay. Pettine had zero clue. The players justly totally tuned him out. When he was fired, I knew he would never be offered a DC position again.

    I wished his family well. And I thanked God he was gone.

    Oh, no.  I don't feel like he himself was/is a good coach.   I view him in a similar mold as I do Coach Tomlin.  A players coach, good discipline, good for the locker room, works well with the other coaches and doesn't interfere, especially offensively, with their designs.    Neither are particularly elite chess players, or even good for that matter.  

    As a duo, he and Shanahan were effective. But only as a duo.    

    Edit: and it was even more obvious when the Bills defense took an even bigger step forward that 2014 season after Pettine left.  It was clear that he wasn't fit to be a playcaller or the type of coach to mold around his philosophy of defense.    As a CEO and someone who delegates well to organize? Absolutely.  Again, Tomlin-esque. 

    PackerNationP PackerNation wrote on last edited by

    @tiamat63 said:

    Oh, no.  I don't feel like he himself was/is a good coach.   I view him in a similar mold as I do Coach Tomlin.  A players coach, good discipline, good for the locker room, works well with the other coaches and doesn't interfere, especially offensively, with their designs.    Neither are particularly elite chess players, or even good for that matter.  

    As a duo, he and Shanahan were effective. But only as a duo.    

    Edit: and it was even more obvious when the Bills defense took an even bigger step forward that 2014 season after Pettine left.  It was clear that he wasn't fit to be a playcaller or the type of coach to mold around his philosophy of defense.    As a CEO and someone who delegates well to organize? Absolutely.  Again, Tomlin-esque. 

    Again, more power to ya if you think Pettine is Tomlin-esque. If Tomlin had got fired in 2015 he would have had teams breaking down his door to hire him. When Pettine was fired there were crickets.

    The end.

  • PackerNationP PackerNation wrote on last edited by

    Back to the topic of the thread. The game  Sunday should have hammered home some things to the Stefanski apologists.

    I won't belabor the Stefanski point either. If the Browns don't get close to respectable this year. Stefanski's seat will be on fire, and he will be included in the firings on black Monday at seasons end.

  • Back to the topic of the thread. The game  Sunday should have hammered home some things to the Stefanski apologists.

    I won't belabor the Stefanski point either. If the Browns don't get close to respectable this year. Stefanski's seat will be on fire, and he will be included in the firings on black Monday at seasons end.

    sydS syd wrote on last edited by

    @packernation said:

    black Monday

    I find that Racist and I am offended, packer boy needs a time out

  • PackerNationP PackerNation wrote on last edited by PackerNation

    I realize you have zero knowledge on the NFL. I prefer accurate information on here.

    You just got yourself blocked again. Stalker tendencies. I do hope you get the help you so desperately need.

    Screenshot_20241008-1435152.thumb.png.8d6c30d4c746b53233b7f114aca24263.png

    Screenshot_20241008-1431542.thumb.png.b3dd01b6a8b7eb6a625898a920c6ad97.png

  • M MDDawg wrote on last edited by

    Kinda late to the party but this was one of the worst games I ever watched as a Browns fan. The 1-31 was hard but at least we knew we lacked talent (including coaching) literally everywhere. Sunday was just a display of probably the worst QB play since probably Weeden. Washington came in as one of the worst ranked pass defenses and he didn't even make them break a sweat. I'll be honest I gave Watson the benefit of the doubt after he went out on a high last season but now we need to start DTR or Jameis. The team needs to eat it like the Broncos did with Russel Wilson and move on to the next QB.

  • Kinda late to the party but this was one of the worst games I ever watched as a Browns fan. The 1-31 was hard but at least we knew we lacked talent (including coaching) literally everywhere. Sunday was just a display of probably the worst QB play since probably Weeden. Washington came in as one of the worst ranked pass defenses and he didn't even make them break a sweat. I'll be honest I gave Watson the benefit of the doubt after he went out on a high last season but now we need to start DTR or Jameis. The team needs to eat it like the Broncos did with Russel Wilson and move on to the next QB.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by nickers

    @mddawg said:

    Kinda late to the party but this was one of the worst games I ever watched as a Browns fan. The 1-31 was hard but at least we knew we lacked talent (including coaching) literally everywhere. Sunday was just a display of probably the worst QB play since probably Weeden. Washington came in as one of the worst ranked pass defenses and he didn't even make them break a sweat. I'll be honest I gave Watson the benefit of the doubt after he went out on a high last season but now we need to start DTR or Jameis. The team needs to eat it like the Broncos did with Russel Wilson and move on to the next QB.

    You can't start DTR because he's the emergency QB on the roster... Both Watson and Winston would have to incur injuries before he can step on the field I believe... So until that happens... put that pipe dream to rest...

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    IMO, Watson will continue to start until he gets injured.

    The moment he becomes the backup, Berry's days as GM are over. If Berry is on his way out, Stefanski is following.

  • IMO, Watson will continue to start until he gets injured.

    The moment he becomes the backup, Berry's days as GM are over. If Berry is on his way out, Stefanski is following.

    sydS syd wrote on last edited by

    @dutch-oven said:

    IMO, Watson will continue to start until he gets injured.

    The moment he becomes the backup, Berry's days as GM are over. If Berry is on his way out, Stefanski is following.

    Then double B will come back and bring the alabama kid with him

  • sydS syd

    @dutch-oven said:

    IMO, Watson will continue to start until he gets injured.

    The moment he becomes the backup, Berry's days as GM are over. If Berry is on his way out, Stefanski is following.

    Then double B will come back and bring the alabama kid with him

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    @syd said:

    Then double B will come back and bring the alabama kid with him

    Well syd you aren't the first person to tell me that the Browns should bring in 70 year old head coaches and a QB who is a run-first guy with questionable passing skills for the NFL. 

    I'm not a big fan of that idea. 

  • @syd said:

    Then double B will come back and bring the alabama kid with him

    Well syd you aren't the first person to tell me that the Browns should bring in 70 year old head coaches and a QB who is a run-first guy with questionable passing skills for the NFL. 

    I'm not a big fan of that idea. 

    sydS syd wrote on last edited by

    @dutch-oven said:

    Well syd you aren't the first person to tell me that the Browns should bring in 70 year old head coaches and a QB who is a run-first guy with questionable passing skills for the NFL. 

    I'm not a big fan of that idea. 

    I forgot to use PINK

    every time I get a notification in black and white I think it's Mike

  • Back to the topic of the thread. The game  Sunday should have hammered home some things to the Stefanski apologists.

    I won't belabor the Stefanski point either. If the Browns don't get close to respectable this year. Stefanski's seat will be on fire, and he will be included in the firings on black Monday at seasons end.

    M MDDawg wrote on last edited by

    @packernation said:

    Back to the topic of the thread. The game  Sunday should have hammered home some things to the Stefanski apologists.

    I won't belabor the Stefanski point either. If the Browns don't get close to respectable this year. Stefanski's seat will be on fire, and he will be included in the firings on black Monday at seasons end.

    You don't go from coach of the year to fireable that quickly. He's coached wins from backup QB's here against quality opponents. What has changed is Watson's atrocious play. Film review of the game showed many open receivers on every pass play, the offense is fine, the execution by the QB is poor.

  • IMO, Watson will continue to start until he gets injured.

    The moment he becomes the backup, Berry's days as GM are over. If Berry is on his way out, Stefanski is following.

    IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by

    @dutch-oven said:

    IMO, Watson will continue to start until he gets injured.

    The moment he becomes the backup, Berry's days as GM are over. If Berry is on his way out, Stefanski is following.

    IMO Watson basically has free reign to be as balls out and reckless as he wants. Nobody cares if he gets injured, and not a lotta people will hate him less if he throws 5 picks.

    It should be liberating. 

  • @packernation said:

    Back to the topic of the thread. The game  Sunday should have hammered home some things to the Stefanski apologists.

    I won't belabor the Stefanski point either. If the Browns don't get close to respectable this year. Stefanski's seat will be on fire, and he will be included in the firings on black Monday at seasons end.

    You don't go from coach of the year to fireable that quickly. He's coached wins from backup QB's here against quality opponents. What has changed is Watson's atrocious play. Film review of the game showed many open receivers on every pass play, the offense is fine, the execution by the QB is poor.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by tiamat63

    @mddawg said:

    You don't go from coach of the year to fireable that quickly. He's coached wins from backup QB's here against quality opponents. What has changed is Watson's atrocious play. Film review of the game showed many open receivers on every pass play, the offense is fine, the execution by the QB is poor.

     You're floating in my waters with the film there.  While you're absolutely correct that Watson hasn't consistently delivered on what is designed, which is a failure with multiple levels to it;  the coaching staff isn't completely immune from criticism either. 

     I've mentioned it before, but the horizontal passing concepts, including high(er) percentage RPOs, pre-snap sight adjusts against certain defensive looks, and attempting to slow defenders into their run fit, hasn't been maximized as it should.

     5 games in, I haven't counted a single build off a backside RPO glance to either Coop or Tillman.  Not a one against single high coverage.  That is a deficiency on the offensive coaches. 

  • @packernation said:

    Back to the topic of the thread. The game  Sunday should have hammered home some things to the Stefanski apologists.

    I won't belabor the Stefanski point either. If the Browns don't get close to respectable this year. Stefanski's seat will be on fire, and he will be included in the firings on black Monday at seasons end.

    You don't go from coach of the year to fireable that quickly. He's coached wins from backup QB's here against quality opponents. What has changed is Watson's atrocious play. Film review of the game showed many open receivers on every pass play, the offense is fine, the execution by the QB is poor.

    PackerNationP PackerNation wrote on last edited by PackerNation

    @mddawg said:

    You don't go from coach of the year to fireable that quickly. 

    Coach of the year awards do not preclude you from getting fired. 

    Stefanski's seat is quite hot for a reason. As I said, IF the Browns don't become respectable this season it is highly probable he will be fired.

     Are you saying there is no chance of him getting fired after this season?

  • @mddawg said:

    You don't go from coach of the year to fireable that quickly. 

    Coach of the year awards do not preclude you from getting fired. 

    Stefanski's seat is quite hot for a reason. As I said, IF the Browns don't become respectable this season it is highly probable he will be fired.

     Are you saying there is no chance of him getting fired after this season?

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by

    @packernation said:

    Coach of the year awards do not preclude you from getting fired. 

    Stefanski's seat is quite hot for a reason. As I said, IF the Browns don't become respectable this season it is highly probable he will be fired.

     Are you saying there is no chance of him getting fired after this season?

    It is afterall a "What have you done for me lately" league... And as Bill Parcells once coined..."You are what your record says you are" Every thing is based on performance and results... That is just the stark reality of it...

  • @bob806 said:

    Pettine got canned because he was spot on about Manziel, & Farmer & Haslam didn't want to believe it. 

    2014 season right here. You're not as invested in the Browns as me or many here. Believe it or not, Pettine had the Browns in 1st place with Brian Hoyer ...

    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/2014.htm

    Yeah, the Browns were 7-4 and then lost the last 5 games and finished 7-9 in 2014. The next season the Browns were 3-13. Incredible head coach ya had there in Pettine.

    Browns fans think Pettine deserves a statue for 7-4. I don't think they hand out trophies for 7-4 and missing the playoffs.

    Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by

    @packernation said:

    Yeah, the Browns were 7-4 and then lost the last 5 games and finished 7-9 in 2014. The next season the Browns were 3-13. Incredible head coach ya had there in Pettine.

    Browns fans think Pettine deserves a statue for 7-4. I don't think they hand out trophies for 7-4 and missing the playoffs.

    One last time....interference from the owner sabotaged something that was positive & building within the organization. 

    The Johnny Manziel draft pick set the Browns back big time. 

    I barely have cell service ( camping in West Virginia presently). I could give you an entire history lesson but it doesn't sound like you're interested in learning it. 

  • @bob806 said:

    Pettine got canned because he was spot on about Manziel, & Farmer & Haslam didn't want to believe it. 

    2014 season right here. You're not as invested in the Browns as me or many here. Believe it or not, Pettine had the Browns in 1st place with Brian Hoyer ...

    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/2014.htm

    Pettine was "Meh"... Very average...

    Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by

    @nickers said:

    Pettine was "Meh"... Very average...

    He wasn't anything special, but he had the team believing until front office interference sabotaged the season.

    Surely you know what followed. 3&13, 3&13, 4-40-1.......

  • @nickers said:

    Pettine was "Meh"... Very average...

    He wasn't anything special, but he had the team believing until front office interference sabotaged the season.

    Surely you know what followed. 3&13, 3&13, 4-40-1.......

    Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by

    @bob806 said:

    Surely you know what followed. 3&13, 3&13, 4-40-1.......

    The dawning of the Hue Jackson era.

    A.K.A. The dark ages of the Browns organization.