Skip to content

Bandwagon Fans

The Browns Board
26 14 2.2k
  • @wpb-dawg-fan said:

    I edited the #1 rule to include living in the area for an extended period. Some of us move on to the team we live near later in life. I can't fault that with being called a bandwagoner.

    OK...that's better, but I still don't agree with the premise. I am a Braves fan and don't really consider it being a bandwagon fan having been here watching them 3-4 times a week for the last 33 years.

    My attitude on bandwagoners is you don't really know who they are until they jump off.

    Who am I to say you can't root for this team or that team because you didn't live here or there, your folks weren't born here or there, you didn't go to school here or there, or you haven't rooted for the team X number of years? That's silly IMO.

    You can jump on at any point. It's the jumping off part that tells the tale.

    W WPB Dawg Fan wrote on last edited by WPB Dawg Fan
    #15

    @ballpeen said:

    Who am I to say you can't root for this team or that team because you didn't live here or there, your folks weren't born here or there, you didn't go to school here or there, or you haven't rooted for the team X number of years? That's silly IMO.

    You can jump on at any point. It's the jumping off part that tells the tale.

    How many fans do you know who root for a team that they don't live nearby that chose to root for a BAD team??? The point is, they were ORIGINALLY a bandwagon fan. They may have developed a love for the team, but that doesn't change the fact that they jumped on board because the team is a success.

    Atlanta Braves? Sure, you may love them now after 33 years, but if I remember right, they were pretty darn good back then...and really haven't had many down years. So...you are now a great fan...but originally....???

  • E Earl34 wrote on last edited by
    #16

    I think that your observations may hold true for most bandwagoners but I would offer that my best friend is a die-hard Dolphins fan with no connection in any way to the Miami area or their glory years. Now granted, they spent a lot of years being competitive but he still watches week in and week out even when they stunk.

    As for me, I was a true blue Oilers fan and they moved and ripped my heart out. I still havent recovered. The city didn't have the foresight to keep the name, colors and record books. For me the NFL is simply something I love to watch and follow many teams, players and coaches. I don't know if that makes me LESS of a fan...but I'll probably need therapy until Bud Adams is six feet under and I can personally visit and confirm that I (blanked) on his grave. I think I'm not so much a bandwagoner since I don't really pull for the winning teams but maybe I like the underdog so much that I'm drawn to them.

    I've been an underdog for much of my life and I guess it's just what I know.

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #17

    I started following them back when guys like Murphy played....before the playoff run..years where 90 losses were pretty normal.

    Bottom line is this....nobody is born a fan. You become a fan, which means we all jumped on the wagon at one point or another. The reasons don't matter why.

    I understand there is usually a connection of some sort, but it still doesn't matter how, when, or why a person becomes a fan.

  • I started following them back when guys like Murphy played....before the playoff run..years where 90 losses were pretty normal.

    Bottom line is this....nobody is born a fan. You become a fan, which means we all jumped on the wagon at one point or another. The reasons don't matter why.

    I understand there is usually a connection of some sort, but it still doesn't matter how, when, or why a person becomes a fan.

    W WPB Dawg Fan wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @ballpeen said:

    I started following them back when guys like Murphy played....before the playoff run..years where 90 losses were pretty normal.

    Bottom line is this....nobody is born a fan. You become a fan, which means we all jumped on the wagon at one point or another. The reasons don't matter why.

    I understand there is usually a connection of some sort, but it still doesn't matter how, when, or why a person becomes a fan.

    If they weren't good at the time, then you don't qualify as bandwagon....see #5 disqualifies you. They have to be GOOD when you jumped on board.

    As for jumping on...most are brought up with a team that their family roots for...or root for the 'home' team. The bandwagoners are the ones that look around and find the BEST team and then root for them. Just because they get in the habit and forget to jump off (or the team never really stinks for years on end to test their loyalty) doesn't make them less of a bandwagoner.

    Sorry, but under your description...all Steeler fans are LEGIT.

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #19
    Sorry, but under your description...all Steeler fans are LEGIT.

    I don't know that....nor really care. I don't worry about other fans.

    Seems to me we need all the fans we can get.

    Is there a point in all of this or is this just a rant about other teams fans??

  • Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #20

    Bandwagon Fans= Harpo's Sports Bar & Grill in Brook Park, OH.

    I went there only once, during the "dark" period in which there was no Cleveland Browns, after one of my boys' football games. I had to leave, there were so many Steeler fans. I know that one bad apple can ruin a whole bushel, but some of these "fans" never heard of LC Greenwood , Jack Ham, or Roy Gerela(sp). It truly made me pissed off.

    Jealous of Steeler success, yes, I am guilty. Just can't tolerate stupidity.

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen
    #21

    I do understand some of the dislike for Steeler wannbe's...at my local spot, there are a couple of gay women who always wear their Steelers Jerseys. I sat next to them at the bar one game a couple of years ago and asked them if they were from Pittsburgh...neither was. Just a couple who decided they wanted Steelers jerseys.

  • We often have trolls come onto this site to pump themselves up about "their" team. It is amazing how NONE of these fist pumpers consider themselves bandwagon fans. So, in an effort to clarify the truth of their fan-dom, I offer this simple explanation of what a bandwagon fan is:

    1. You did not grow up in (or live in for an extended period) the immediate area of the team you now follow.

    2. Your family members are not originally FROM the area of the team you now follow.

    3. Nobody in your immediate family was a fan PRIOR to you becoming a fan of the team you now follow.

    4. You became a fan during a period where the team you follow was very good/dominant.

    5. You have never had to go through an extended period of time where the team was not good (over 4 years).

    By definition, as the Browns have not even had a good team in over a decade, EVERY BROWNS FAN IS A TRUE FAN!!!

    Teams that are MOST LIKELY to have HIGH NUMBERS of bandwagon fans are:

    Pittsburgh Steelers: Many joined the ranks in the 70's, but the 90's and recent success are also big

    Dallas Cowboys: 70's and 90's are their calling cards

    New England Patriots: The true "johnny come lately's"

    SF 49ers: They lost their luster lately, but they had the 80's and 90's

    Indianapolis Colts: Pretty much post Manning draft

    New York Giants: Any time a NY team wins the big one....get on board

    So, if you are visiting, and find you fit the bill...please own up to it. We don't care.

    WE KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!! 🥷

    Y youtubeking1111 wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @wpb-dawg-fan said:

    We often have trolls come onto this site to pump themselves up about "their" team. It is amazing how NONE of these fist pumpers consider themselves bandwagon fans. So, in an effort to clarify the truth of their fan-dom, I offer this simple explanation of what a bandwagon fan is:

    1. You did not grow up in (or live in for an extended period) the immediate area of the team you now follow.

    2. Your family members are not originally FROM the area of the team you now follow.

    3. Nobody in your immediate family was a fan PRIOR to you becoming a fan of the team you now follow.

    4. You became a fan during a period where the team you follow was very good/dominant.

    5. You have never had to go through an extended period of time where the team was not good (over 4 years).

    By definition, as the Browns have not even had a good team in over a decade, EVERY BROWNS FAN IS A TRUE FAN!!!

    Teams that are MOST LIKELY to have HIGH NUMBERS of bandwagon fans are:

    Pittsburgh Steelers: Many joined the ranks in the 70's, but the 90's and recent success are also big

    Dallas Cowboys: 70's and 90's are their calling cards

    New England Patriots: The true "johnny come lately's"

    SF 49ers: They lost their luster lately, but they had the 80's and 90's

    Indianapolis Colts: Pretty much post Manning draft

    New York Giants: Any time a NY team wins the big one....get on board

    So, if you are visiting, and find you fit the bill...please own up to it. We don't care.

    WE KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!! 🥷

    Just GOT to love guys like you. Ahh, the typical "die hard" who looks down on anyone who isn't a "pureblood." Who are you to come up with these qualificationS? Can you honestly fault anyone in Cleveland for rooting for another team? ITS JUST A SPORT. Sure, I enjoy it, but hell, who are you to say I can't root for team A this year and Team B the year after that? This isn't the WAR ON TERROR, dude. THIS POST JUST SERVES TO PROOVE THAT WHEN YOUR TEAM BLOWS (I.E. CLEVELAND) YOU START TO POST ABOUT SOME STUPID SHIT.

  • Y youtubeking1111 wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @danamal said:

    Nobody said you cant root for whatever team you want but when it comes to the Browns we all have some sort of connection with the team in one of the numbers on the OP post and The OP is a moderator here so STFU.

    So that is what it has come to now? Being told that if we disagree with the moderator we should STFU? Its guys like you that make it embarassing to admit that you are a browns fan. All Im trying to say is that we sound lame when we start putting geographical qualifications on being a true fan. It just feeds into the stereotype that Browns fans are all delusional. I would rather us be humble, and when our teams start to win, we can gloat.

    Ive been to NFL games in about 5 cities in addition to Cleveland. The big difference is that the fans in these cities are much "cooler" than Browns fans. This is because pretty much every team in the league can look forward to being competitors every few years. If you are with them, great...if you are against them, well then thats up to you. What do we get in Cleveland? Douchebags try and require Joe Blow from Westlake and Jim Bob from Mentor to bleed Orange and Brown every single week for their entire lives, or they aren't considered good enough. Its kind of like a dieing religion. We must all be 100% pure or we aren't dedicated enough. We should let the Browns rise and fall like a religion...if they do a good job at what they are doing, they will grow and be widely accepted...if they don't, they lose support.

    Finally, its guys like those posting here that have made actually going to Browns games unbearable. Tailgating for the Browns is like going to a bad Irish Wake. Its so cliche: first couple beers everyone is having a good time. After about beer 4, some guy starts playing "Pittsburgh sucks" (even though we are playing Cincinnatti), after about 6 beers someone starts talking about Bernie, after about 10 beers everyone realizes that the team is actually dead. You then get to go sit in direct sunlight (thanks to our wonderful stadium design) for 3 hours.

    All Im trying to say is, the Browns suck. You can't start getting to nit-picky about who "true fans" are.

  • Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #24

    Thanks for the insult danamal, I guess my post was worthless.

  • @danamal said:

    Nobody said you cant root for whatever team you want but when it comes to the Browns we all have some sort of connection with the team in one of the numbers on the OP post and The OP is a moderator here so STFU.

    So that is what it has come to now? Being told that if we disagree with the moderator we should STFU? Its guys like you that make it embarassing to admit that you are a browns fan. All Im trying to say is that we sound lame when we start putting geographical qualifications on being a true fan. It just feeds into the stereotype that Browns fans are all delusional. I would rather us be humble, and when our teams start to win, we can gloat.

    Ive been to NFL games in about 5 cities in addition to Cleveland. The big difference is that the fans in these cities are much "cooler" than Browns fans. This is because pretty much every team in the league can look forward to being competitors every few years. If you are with them, great...if you are against them, well then thats up to you. What do we get in Cleveland? Douchebags try and require Joe Blow from Westlake and Jim Bob from Mentor to bleed Orange and Brown every single week for their entire lives, or they aren't considered good enough. Its kind of like a dieing religion. We must all be 100% pure or we aren't dedicated enough. We should let the Browns rise and fall like a religion...if they do a good job at what they are doing, they will grow and be widely accepted...if they don't, they lose support.

    Finally, its guys like those posting here that have made actually going to Browns games unbearable. Tailgating for the Browns is like going to a bad Irish Wake. Its so cliche: first couple beers everyone is having a good time. After about beer 4, some guy starts playing "Pittsburgh sucks" (even though we are playing Cincinnatti), after about 6 beers someone starts talking about Bernie, after about 10 beers everyone realizes that the team is actually dead. You then get to go sit in direct sunlight (thanks to our wonderful stadium design) for 3 hours.

    All Im trying to say is, the Browns suck. You can't start getting to nit-picky about who "true fans" are.

    W WPB Dawg Fan wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @youtubeking1111 said:

    So that is what it has come to now? Being told that if we disagree with the moderator we should STFU?

    wow, talk about taking this out of context. the point of the thread was about all the johnny come lately Stooler, Ravens, Cowboys, Patriots, etc... bandwagon fans who have the audacity to come on here and give us crap over showing loyalty to a team that has struggled since rejoining the league, when they in fact have no clue what loyalty is.

    People can root for whatever team they want. Go ahead. But don't get all crybaby about it when we call you a bandwagon fan because you "decided" to root for a team that was on top instead of your local team or the one your family has historically cheered for.

    Get it. Cheer for who you want...but don't blather at US unless you are a bonafide, diehard, even if we suck fan of the other team.

  • W WPB Dawg Fan wrote on last edited by
    #26

    Just for some clarification on what it takes to be a bandwagon fan....the first and foremost requirement is that you had to START cheering for that team WHILE THEY WERE ON TOP!!!

    A little history will tell you that the term came from politics. When an election was over, the winner would have a parade to announce himself to the public. In that parade, they would have a band....and it would be on a wagon (bandwagon). The newly elected official would ride ON that bandwagon. And all the people who wanted to be identified with the WINNER would clamor to be on the bandwagon so they could gloat that their man won.

    Hence, if you like a team not of your home area (or not from a family history) that you started liking while they WERE NOT the best or one of the best...then you by default ARE NOT a bandwagon fan. That is why I listed the teams most likely to HAVE bandwagon fans...to point out the ones that have had an extended period of WINNING without losing periods that would appeal to the bandwagon fan.