Skip to content

The Next Step in the Rebuild

The Browns Board
24 9 1.2k 1
  • *IF* DW's Achilles is torn, we're looking at a 10-12 month recovery (for a regular organization). The Browns are not regular.

    I'm talking about play and not pay, but we're looking at two and a half seasons of him being on the roster. He becomes an UFA in 2027. Ideally, for us fans, he's not anywhere near the field in 2025 either. So that leaves 2026.

    I'm sure the headshed is already meeting about this. 

    I'd be I'm no rush to make a bad decision. I wouldn't start firing people - that's not going to attract good people. Unless it's DePodesta. Fire the f*ck out of him. Jimmy has seemingly tied AB and KS to the hip. It'd be great if he sat down with them and asked about their vision for the future. Reinterview them; see what they think. The organization wasn't in this position when either or them were hired or re-signed. Are they ready and willing to do what it's going to take to turn the corner?

    In the 2025 Draft, I'd start focusing on OL. We need a LT. We have a LG, who we were discussing as a potential HOFer this time last year that has underperformed and is probably thinking about his next chapter. We have youth at C, RG and RT.

    I'd be in no rush to draft a QB unless the right QB presented himself and I'm not sure I see that in this Draft Class. By not drafting a QB this year you don't have a GM-Coach-QB reset excuse, which makes parting ways with the GM, or HC (if need be) after the 2025 season easier, in my opinion. It also gives an extra season to be rid of the financial disaster of DW's contract.

  • I've been complaining about DePodesta since the beginning, so I agree 100% on letting him go.

    I absolutely despise draft talk in October, but yeah, the offensive line needs serious help. 

    The other thing we don't talk about much, but is a serious problem, is tackling. It doesn't matter who the defensive coordinator is ( I think), but outside of Grant Delpit, there isn't another DB on the roster that is reliable with tackling. It's maddening.

    Now if Derrick Henry is coming at you, or somebody large like that, I get it. But you need to make an honest effort at the tackle. It seems like they just don't want to do it.

  • A AP1

    *IF* DW's Achilles is torn, we're looking at a 10-12 month recovery (for a regular organization). The Browns are not regular.

    I'm talking about play and not pay, but we're looking at two and a half seasons of him being on the roster. He becomes an UFA in 2027. Ideally, for us fans, he's not anywhere near the field in 2025 either. So that leaves 2026.

    I'm sure the headshed is already meeting about this. 

    I'd be I'm no rush to make a bad decision. I wouldn't start firing people - that's not going to attract good people. Unless it's DePodesta. Fire the f*ck out of him. Jimmy has seemingly tied AB and KS to the hip. It'd be great if he sat down with them and asked about their vision for the future. Reinterview them; see what they think. The organization wasn't in this position when either or them were hired or re-signed. Are they ready and willing to do what it's going to take to turn the corner?

    In the 2025 Draft, I'd start focusing on OL. We need a LT. We have a LG, who we were discussing as a potential HOFer this time last year that has underperformed and is probably thinking about his next chapter. We have youth at C, RG and RT.

    I'd be in no rush to draft a QB unless the right QB presented himself and I'm not sure I see that in this Draft Class. By not drafting a QB this year you don't have a GM-Coach-QB reset excuse, which makes parting ways with the GM, or HC (if need be) after the 2025 season easier, in my opinion. It also gives an extra season to be rid of the financial disaster of DW's contract.

    @ap1 said:

    *IF* DW's Achilles is torn, we're looking at a 10-12 month recovery (for a regular organization). The Browns are not regular.

    I'm talking about play and not pay, but we're looking at two and a half seasons of him being on the roster. He becomes an UFA in 2027. Ideally, for us fans, he's not anywhere near the field in 2025 either. So that leaves 2026.

    I'm sure the headshed is already meeting about this. 

    I'd be I'm no rush to make a bad decision. I wouldn't start firing people - that's not going to attract good people. Unless it's DePodesta. Fire the f*ck out of him. Jimmy has seemingly tied AB and KS to the hip. It'd be great if he sat down with them and asked about their vision for the future. Reinterview them; see what they think. The organization wasn't in this position when either or them were hired or re-signed. Are they ready and willing to do what it's going to take to turn the corner?

    In the 2025 Draft, I'd start focusing on OL. We need a LT. We have a LG, who we were discussing as a potential HOFer this time last year that has underperformed and is probably thinking about his next chapter. We have youth at C, RG and RT.

    I'd be in no rush to draft a QB unless the right QB presented himself and I'm not sure I see that in this Draft Class. By not drafting a QB this year you don't have a GM-Coach-QB reset excuse, which makes parting ways with the GM, or HC (if need be) after the 2025 season easier, in my opinion. It also gives an extra season to be rid of the financial disaster of DW's contract.

    If the Browns end up with the #1 overall pick, and looking at the schedule there's no reason to think that isn't a very good possibility, I'd see who really wants Deion Sanders' kid and see what we can get for it, then take a Left Tackle if possible. The QB draft class is pretty 'meh', so get a ton of draft picks and start restocking this roster with young talent. The Browns probably will be a top 5 or so team the following draft too. Get a QB then. 

  • What is the QB plan for 2025?  Is this a 2015 replay when we brought in McCown.  
     

    and I don’t mind stocking the cupboard with the right sandwich eaters. Let’s just not draft based on need and reach for a tackle and replay the Wills situation.
     

    Poor tackling is a growing epidemic at every level. 
     

    Id let KS give his blessing on the next QB  and if that means ruffling or losing feathers from others in the brain trust then so be it. 

  • What is the QB plan for 2025?  Is this a 2015 replay when we brought in McCown.  
     

    and I don’t mind stocking the cupboard with the right sandwich eaters. Let’s just not draft based on need and reach for a tackle and replay the Wills situation.
     

    Poor tackling is a growing epidemic at every level. 
     

    Id let KS give his blessing on the next QB  and if that means ruffling or losing feathers from others in the brain trust then so be it. 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    What is the QB plan for 2025?  Is this a 2015 replay when we brought in McCown.  
     

    and I don’t mind stocking the cupboard with the right sandwich eaters. Let’s just not draft based on need and reach for a tackle and replay the Wills situation.
     

    Poor tackling is a growing epidemic at every level. 
     

    Id let KS give his blessing on the next QB  and if that means ruffling or losing feathers from others in the brain trust then so be it. 

    KS has my blessing to leave town.. He's a big part of the problem.. But being fair.. Not the entire problem.. But has a huge hand in it...

  • What is the QB plan for 2025?  Is this a 2015 replay when we brought in McCown.  
     

    and I don’t mind stocking the cupboard with the right sandwich eaters. Let’s just not draft based on need and reach for a tackle and replay the Wills situation.
     

    Poor tackling is a growing epidemic at every level. 
     

    Id let KS give his blessing on the next QB  and if that means ruffling or losing feathers from others in the brain trust then so be it. 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    What is the QB plan for 2025?  Is this a 2015 replay when we brought in McCown.  
     

    and I don’t mind stocking the cupboard with the right sandwich eaters. Let’s just not draft based on need and reach for a tackle and replay the Wills situation.
     

    Poor tackling is a growing epidemic at every level. 
     

    Id let KS give his blessing on the next QB  and if that means ruffling or losing feathers from others in the brain trust then so be it. 

    The plan would have to be the guys already on the roster or a cheap free agent willing to step into this mess. Given the money situation, I'm not sure what that looks like. 

    Not sure what you mean by "let's just not draft based on need." We need alot. If you meant draft for the sake of drafting, ie "We need it, just take it," I agree. They passed over Wirfs for Wills st LT. I think they'll be drafting much, much higher than 10th, which was the pick the year Wills was drafted. 

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    What is the QB plan for 2025?  Is this a 2015 replay when we brought in McCown.  
     

    and I don’t mind stocking the cupboard with the right sandwich eaters. Let’s just not draft based on need and reach for a tackle and replay the Wills situation.
     

    Poor tackling is a growing epidemic at every level. 
     

    Id let KS give his blessing on the next QB  and if that means ruffling or losing feathers from others in the brain trust then so be it. 

    KS has my blessing to leave town.. He's a big part of the problem.. But being fair.. Not the entire problem.. But has a huge hand in it...

    @nickers said:

    KS has my blessing to leave town.. He's a big part of the problem.. But being fair.. Not the entire problem.. But has a huge hand in it...

    I want someone tough as nails; an alpha that jumps in front and says with or without word, but certainly in action, "Get behind me; we're going to the Promised Land!" A guy like Dan Campbell.

    In one way or another so many on the board, RIGHTLY, have questioned Stefanski's ability. 

    Stefanski didn't put together the roster. He didn't negotiate the contracts. He didn't chase DW. He didn't make the Draft Picks that haven't worked out. He doesn't play in games, miss reads, create turnovers and cause penalties.

    KS has the most wins as a Browns HC in four decades. As much as good can be the enemy of great, I think there is some due diligence in giving him a shot to help right the ship. KS aside, Jimmy's track record of having successful head coaches is among the worst in League history.

  • A AP1

    @nickers said:

    KS has my blessing to leave town.. He's a big part of the problem.. But being fair.. Not the entire problem.. But has a huge hand in it...

    I want someone tough as nails; an alpha that jumps in front and says with or without word, but certainly in action, "Get behind me; we're going to the Promised Land!" A guy like Dan Campbell.

    In one way or another so many on the board, RIGHTLY, have questioned Stefanski's ability. 

    Stefanski didn't put together the roster. He didn't negotiate the contracts. He didn't chase DW. He didn't make the Draft Picks that haven't worked out. He doesn't play in games, miss reads, create turnovers and cause penalties.

    KS has the most wins as a Browns HC in four decades. As much as good can be the enemy of great, I think there is some due diligence in giving him a shot to help right the ship. KS aside, Jimmy's track record of having successful head coaches is among the worst in League history.

    @ap1 said:

    I want someone tough as nails; an alpha that jumps in front and says with or without word, but certainly in action, "Get behind me; we're going to the Promised Land!" A guy like Dan Campbell.

    In one way or another so many on the board, RIGHTLY, have questioned Stefanski's ability. 

    Stefanski didn't put together the roster. He didn't negotiate the contracts. He didn't chase DW. He didn't make the Draft Picks that haven't worked out. He doesn't play in games, miss reads, create turnovers and cause penalties.

    KS has the most wins as a Browns HC in four decades. As much as good can be the enemy of great, I think there is some due diligence in giving him a shot to help right the ship. KS aside, Jimmy's track record of having successful head coaches is among the worst in League history.

    I simply don't think Haslam wants an "alpha," he wants somebody who will agree to his organizational structure. 

    Until Haslam realizes his structure isn't the answer, the Browns will continue to shoot themselves in the foot.

    To his credit, remember after he fired Farmer, hired Dorsey, he reached out to icons such as Bill Parcels for advice. My hunch is he really listened, but has a fear of truly entrusting others to run the show. Just my opinion.

  • @ap1 said:

    I want someone tough as nails; an alpha that jumps in front and says with or without word, but certainly in action, "Get behind me; we're going to the Promised Land!" A guy like Dan Campbell.

    In one way or another so many on the board, RIGHTLY, have questioned Stefanski's ability. 

    Stefanski didn't put together the roster. He didn't negotiate the contracts. He didn't chase DW. He didn't make the Draft Picks that haven't worked out. He doesn't play in games, miss reads, create turnovers and cause penalties.

    KS has the most wins as a Browns HC in four decades. As much as good can be the enemy of great, I think there is some due diligence in giving him a shot to help right the ship. KS aside, Jimmy's track record of having successful head coaches is among the worst in League history.

    I simply don't think Haslam wants an "alpha," he wants somebody who will agree to his organizational structure. 

    Until Haslam realizes his structure isn't the answer, the Browns will continue to shoot themselves in the foot.

    To his credit, remember after he fired Farmer, hired Dorsey, he reached out to icons such as Bill Parcels for advice. My hunch is he really listened, but has a fear of truly entrusting others to run the show. Just my opinion.

    @bob806 said:

    I simply don't think Haslam wants an "alpha," he wants somebody who will agree to his organizational structure. 

    Until Haslam realizes his structure isn't the answer, the Browns will continue to shoot themselves in the foot.

    To his credit, remember after he fired Farmer, hired Dorsey, he reached out to icons such as Bill Parcels for advice. My hunch is he really listened, but has a fear of truly entrusting others to run the show. Just my opinion.

    100%

  • @ap1 said:

    I want someone tough as nails; an alpha that jumps in front and says with or without word, but certainly in action, "Get behind me; we're going to the Promised Land!" A guy like Dan Campbell.

    In one way or another so many on the board, RIGHTLY, have questioned Stefanski's ability. 

    Stefanski didn't put together the roster. He didn't negotiate the contracts. He didn't chase DW. He didn't make the Draft Picks that haven't worked out. He doesn't play in games, miss reads, create turnovers and cause penalties.

    KS has the most wins as a Browns HC in four decades. As much as good can be the enemy of great, I think there is some due diligence in giving him a shot to help right the ship. KS aside, Jimmy's track record of having successful head coaches is among the worst in League history.

    I simply don't think Haslam wants an "alpha," he wants somebody who will agree to his organizational structure. 

    Until Haslam realizes his structure isn't the answer, the Browns will continue to shoot themselves in the foot.

    To his credit, remember after he fired Farmer, hired Dorsey, he reached out to icons such as Bill Parcels for advice. My hunch is he really listened, but has a fear of truly entrusting others to run the show. Just my opinion.

    @bob806 said:

    I simply don't think Haslam wants an "alpha," he wants somebody who will agree to his organizational structure. 

    Until Haslam realizes his structure isn't the answer, the Browns will continue to shoot themselves in the foot.

    To his credit, remember after he fired Farmer, hired Dorsey, he reached out to icons such as Bill Parcels for advice. My hunch is he really listened, but has a fear of truly entrusting others to run the show. Just my opinion.

    Then we need to call an Exorcist to get DePodesta out of here...

  • It’s going to be hella interesting to watch the Haslams try to navigate getting funding for the dome at the same time their team goes from being a playoff team one season to an absolute train wreck the next.

  • It’s going to be hella interesting to watch the Haslams try to navigate getting funding for the dome at the same time their team goes from being a playoff team one season to an absolute train wreck the next.

    @dutch-oven said:

    It’s going to be hella interesting to watch the Haslams try to navigate getting funding for the dome at the same time their team goes from being a playoff team one season to an absolute train wreck the next.

    ...in less than half a season.

    His leverage in securing public funding is decreasing by the second.

  • A AP1

    @dutch-oven said:

    It’s going to be hella interesting to watch the Haslams try to navigate getting funding for the dome at the same time their team goes from being a playoff team one season to an absolute train wreck the next.

    ...in less than half a season.

    His leverage in securing public funding is decreasing by the second.

    @ap1 said:

    ...in less than half a season.

    His leverage in securing public funding is decreasing by the second.

    And I keep playing this scene in my head where the Browns leave Ohio completely again.... This asshole is never gonna put a SB team on the field

  • @ap1 said:

    ...in less than half a season.

    His leverage in securing public funding is decreasing by the second.

    And I keep playing this scene in my head where the Browns leave Ohio completely again.... This asshole is never gonna put a SB team on the field

    @nickers said:

    And I keep playing this scene in my head where the Browns leave Ohio completely again.... This asshole is never gonna put a SB team on the field

    https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/could-the-art-modell-law-keep-cleveland-browns-stadium-in-cleveland

    Doubtful, but I suppose anything is possible. 

  • I've been complaining about DePodesta since the beginning, so I agree 100% on letting him go.

    I absolutely despise draft talk in October, but yeah, the offensive line needs serious help. 

    The other thing we don't talk about much, but is a serious problem, is tackling. It doesn't matter who the defensive coordinator is ( I think), but outside of Grant Delpit, there isn't another DB on the roster that is reliable with tackling. It's maddening.

    Now if Derrick Henry is coming at you, or somebody large like that, I get it. But you need to make an honest effort at the tackle. It seems like they just don't want to do it.

    @bob806 said:

    Now if Derrick Henry is coming at you, or somebody large like that, I get it. But you need to make an honest effort at the tackle. It seems like they just don't want to do it.

    Did you notice on King Henry's catch for a TD last night the defender assigned to stop him made sure he barely touched him. Smart guy lived to see another game.????

  • @nickers said:

    And I keep playing this scene in my head where the Browns leave Ohio completely again.... This asshole is never gonna put a SB team on the field

    https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/could-the-art-modell-law-keep-cleveland-browns-stadium-in-cleveland

    Doubtful, but I suppose anything is possible. 

    @bob806 said:

    https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/could-the-art-modell-law-keep-cleveland-browns-stadium-in-cleveland

    Doubtful, but I suppose anything is possible. 

    I think the strongest indicator that the team will remain in or around Cleveland for the foreseeable future is the deal they made with Huntington Bank for 20 years for the stadium naming rights.

    Huntington’s corporate HQ is in Columbus, and most of their branches are in or around Ohio. I’m reasonably sure Huntington’s team of lawyers made sure there was language in the contract that if the team moves it better be somewhere there’s a lotta Huntington banks around. 

  • Obviously this is dated judging by the number of games, but is still relevant. ?

    IMG_0192.png

  • Obviously this is dated judging by the number of games, but is still relevant. ?

    IMG_0192.png

    @canton-dawg said:

    Obviously this is dated judging by the number of games, but is still relevant. ?

    IMG_0192.png

    True, true

    I'm here for the party!

  • The more I think of it, the more I think if I was Jimmy Haslam, I’m NOT firing Andrew Berry and Kevin Stefanski after this season. I’m letting them do the dirty work of dealing with Watson’s huge cap hit the next two seasons. I’m letting them take the lumps of trading away veterans and getting your brains kicked in with youngsters. What front office guy worth anything and head coach candidate would want to come in next season and deal with all this? Let Berry and Stefanski deal with it, then after two years, upgrade.

  • The more I think of it, the more I think if I was Jimmy Haslam, I’m NOT firing Andrew Berry and Kevin Stefanski after this season. I’m letting them do the dirty work of dealing with Watson’s huge cap hit the next two seasons. I’m letting them take the lumps of trading away veterans and getting your brains kicked in with youngsters. What front office guy worth anything and head coach candidate would want to come in next season and deal with all this? Let Berry and Stefanski deal with it, then after two years, upgrade.

    @dutch-oven said:

    The more I think of it, the more I think if I was Jimmy Haslam, I’m NOT firing Andrew Berry and Kevin Stefanski after this season. I’m letting them do the dirty work of dealing with Watson’s huge cap hit the next two seasons. I’m letting them take the lumps if trading away veterans and getting your brains kicked in with youngsters. What front office guy and head coach candidate would want to come in next season and deal with all this? Let them deal with it, then after two years, upgrade.

    Absolutely nothing to lose with this strategy.