NFL's QB Problems
-
There are elements of this conversation in 4 or 5 different threads. Greg Olsen touches nicely upon some things we've been discussing as it relates to the Browns next franchise QB. His perspective starts around the 35 minute mark.
There are elements of this conversation in 4 or 5 different threads. Greg Olsen touches nicely upon some things we've been discussing as it relates to the Browns next franchise QB. His perspective starts around the 35 minute mark.
Without listening, I'll presume the issue is with the play of young QBs drafted high who have seen their own benching? Young & Richardson especially. Then you have other players like Will Levis and Daniel Jones who struggle and teeter on being replaced.
-
There are elements of this conversation in 4 or 5 different threads. Greg Olsen touches nicely upon some things we've been discussing as it relates to the Browns next franchise QB. His perspective starts around the 35 minute mark.
There are elements of this conversation in 4 or 5 different threads. Greg Olsen touches nicely upon some things we've been discussing as it relates to the Browns next franchise QB. His perspective starts around the 35 minute mark.
That was a good watch, thanks. Everything he said makes a lot of sense.
-
There are elements of this conversation in 4 or 5 different threads. Greg Olsen touches nicely upon some things we've been discussing as it relates to the Browns next franchise QB. His perspective starts around the 35 minute mark.
Without listening, I'll presume the issue is with the play of young QBs drafted high who have seen their own benching? Young & Richardson especially. Then you have other players like Will Levis and Daniel Jones who struggle and teeter on being replaced.
Without listening, I'll presume the issue is with the play of young QBs drafted high who have seen their own benching? Young & Richardson especially. Then you have other players like Will Levis and Daniel Jones who struggle and teeter on being replaced.
I know somewhere l saw a list of a good half dozen young QBs that were drafted high fairly recently but haven’t been cutting the mustard, so they’re on the bench. Young and Richardson were on it.
I half wondered if it might not be a bad idea for the Browns to swing a trade for one of those guys and see if he can morph in to a Goff-like story.
-
Without listening, I'll presume the issue is with the play of young QBs drafted high who have seen their own benching? Young & Richardson especially. Then you have other players like Will Levis and Daniel Jones who struggle and teeter on being replaced.
I know somewhere l saw a list of a good half dozen young QBs that were drafted high fairly recently but haven’t been cutting the mustard, so they’re on the bench. Young and Richardson were on it.
I half wondered if it might not be a bad idea for the Browns to swing a trade for one of those guys and see if he can morph in to a Goff-like story.
I half wondered if it might not be a bad idea for the Browns to swing a trade for one of those guys and see if he can morph in to a Goff-like story.
I think we may already be starting that QB you speak of here. He looks better now than he ever looked elsewhere. Let's just see how the rest of his season plays out before yet another QB on the t-shirt.
-
I half wondered if it might not be a bad idea for the Browns to swing a trade for one of those guys and see if he can morph in to a Goff-like story.
I think we may already be starting that QB you speak of here. He looks better now than he ever looked elsewhere. Let's just see how the rest of his season plays out before yet another QB on the t-shirt.
I think we may already be starting that QB you speak of here. He looks better now than he ever looked elsewhere. Let's just see how the rest of his season plays out before yet another QB on the t-shirt.
I was thinking more for developmental purposes if one of those QBs has some merit and their current team is so fed up they let him go for cheap.
Winston got the job done last week and it was great, but we probably woulda seen a different outcome if the Ravens DBs didn’t have stone hands.
-
I half wondered if it might not be a bad idea for the Browns to swing a trade for one of those guys and see if he can morph in to a Goff-like story.
I think we may already be starting that QB you speak of here. He looks better now than he ever looked elsewhere. Let's just see how the rest of his season plays out before yet another QB on the t-shirt.
I think we may already be starting that QB you speak of here. He looks better now than he ever looked elsewhere. Let's just see how the rest of his season plays out before yet another QB on the t-shirt.
Sure.
Provided you ignore a decade of history proceeding Winston and his status as a walking turnover.
-
Without listening, I'll presume the issue is with the play of young QBs drafted high who have seen their own benching? Young & Richardson especially. Then you have other players like Will Levis and Daniel Jones who struggle and teeter on being replaced.
I know somewhere l saw a list of a good half dozen young QBs that were drafted high fairly recently but haven’t been cutting the mustard, so they’re on the bench. Young and Richardson were on it.
I half wondered if it might not be a bad idea for the Browns to swing a trade for one of those guys and see if he can morph in to a Goff-like story.
I know somewhere l saw a list of a good half dozen young QBs that were drafted high fairly recently but haven’t been cutting the mustard, so they’re on the bench. Young and Richardson were on it.
I half wondered if it might not be a bad idea for the Browns to swing a trade for one of those guys and see if he can morph in to a Goff-like story.
It's funny because this a disease that has manifested itself at the highest levels, but the condition(s) start at the lowest levels. Which is to say, it's a problem lumped onto the NFL that professional football alone likely can't fix.
A couple years ago I got into coaching. Was asked to be an assistant and had a blast doing it. Moved on to something else and was asked to coach an alumni team that following summer, except at the top spot. Brought in a few of the kids who were graduating seniors that year.
NONE of them had played in an offense that put them under center. This isn't hyperbole. I had a RB and a kid I tried out at QB who had never once run without being in the gun. Had to teach things from footwork and stance pre-snap, to drive step from the center, proper hand offs, then timing and sells on fakes. It was unreal for me because it was rare when we went to the gun when I was a kid.
I also threw in things I empowered my QB to do. Make a check at the line to kill to a run. We had two "lookie" sight adjusts I let him work with as well in a couple formations for specific plays. Keep in mind I only had 10 weeks to put this group together, but they did pretty great considering.
Now I told you that story because in that experience, I saw in real time what comments Tom Brady echoed about modern quarterbacking. In essence that these kids, starting at the most fundamental levels, aren't being comprehensively developed as football players both physically AND mentally. Instead you bring in great raw athletes and then put them into what amounts to, I call a "Nanny State" system. Where I'm teaching that system, controlling it from the top down like a complete psychopath, and not empowering my QB to be an extension of myself as a coach on the field.
When you think of the great QBs, you think of them as passers and field generals. Not elite athletes. I'm not saying you can't be the latter and get it done, look at Lamar Jackson. But what has held the Ravens offense back, especially in crucial moments, is that he has consistently failed to elevate himself to that elite passer status.
But by and large, what the current state of offense has done, starting about 20 years ago, between the advent of RPO, QB-run centric, hand-holding offenses has lead to this mental neutering of QBs. Taking the control of the game from their hands, and putting it entirely on the coaches to play their chess match while removing the dynamic element of the cerebral signal caller.
Meaning these kids struggle to learn and process difficult and higher functioning offensive concepts and now can't act as the proper extension of their coaches, mentally speaking, on the field; because they're so used to having their decision making handled for them pre and post snap.
Patrick Mahomes has admitted he had little idea how to read defenses his first two years. His success is a testament to the KC coaching staff. But his accession to greatest is the far removed exception, not the rule. Now these kids are lucky to be average passers at best, while NFL front offices continue to trip over themselves and their silly obsession with athleticism. All forgetting you're in a post-Vick age where running QBs with subpar passing ability are neutralized by athletic defenses.
-
I think we may already be starting that QB you speak of here. He looks better now than he ever looked elsewhere. Let's just see how the rest of his season plays out before yet another QB on the t-shirt.
Sure.
Provided you ignore a decade of history proceeding Winston and his status as a walking turnover.
-
Yep, as long as he keeps producing the way he is I'll be happy to ignore that. Can QBs change over time? I think they can.
He's seen just about everything there is... Some QB's get wiser over time until skills start to erode...
-
I know somewhere l saw a list of a good half dozen young QBs that were drafted high fairly recently but haven’t been cutting the mustard, so they’re on the bench. Young and Richardson were on it.
I half wondered if it might not be a bad idea for the Browns to swing a trade for one of those guys and see if he can morph in to a Goff-like story.
It's funny because this a disease that has manifested itself at the highest levels, but the condition(s) start at the lowest levels. Which is to say, it's a problem lumped onto the NFL that professional football alone likely can't fix.
A couple years ago I got into coaching. Was asked to be an assistant and had a blast doing it. Moved on to something else and was asked to coach an alumni team that following summer, except at the top spot. Brought in a few of the kids who were graduating seniors that year.
NONE of them had played in an offense that put them under center. This isn't hyperbole. I had a RB and a kid I tried out at QB who had never once run without being in the gun. Had to teach things from footwork and stance pre-snap, to drive step from the center, proper hand offs, then timing and sells on fakes. It was unreal for me because it was rare when we went to the gun when I was a kid.
I also threw in things I empowered my QB to do. Make a check at the line to kill to a run. We had two "lookie" sight adjusts I let him work with as well in a couple formations for specific plays. Keep in mind I only had 10 weeks to put this group together, but they did pretty great considering.
Now I told you that story because in that experience, I saw in real time what comments Tom Brady echoed about modern quarterbacking. In essence that these kids, starting at the most fundamental levels, aren't being comprehensively developed as football players both physically AND mentally. Instead you bring in great raw athletes and then put them into what amounts to, I call a "Nanny State" system. Where I'm teaching that system, controlling it from the top down like a complete psychopath, and not empowering my QB to be an extension of myself as a coach on the field.
When you think of the great QBs, you think of them as passers and field generals. Not elite athletes. I'm not saying you can't be the latter and get it done, look at Lamar Jackson. But what has held the Ravens offense back, especially in crucial moments, is that he has consistently failed to elevate himself to that elite passer status.
But by and large, what the current state of offense has done, starting about 20 years ago, between the advent of RPO, QB-run centric, hand-holding offenses has lead to this mental neutering of QBs. Taking the control of the game from their hands, and putting it entirely on the coaches to play their chess match while removing the dynamic element of the cerebral signal caller.
Meaning these kids struggle to learn and process difficult and higher functioning offensive concepts and now can't act as the proper extension of their coaches, mentally speaking, on the field; because they're so used to having their decision making handled for them pre and post snap.
Patrick Mahomes has admitted he had little idea how to read defenses his first two years. His success is a testament to the KC coaching staff. But his accession to greatest is the far removed exception, not the rule. Now these kids are lucky to be average passers at best, while NFL front offices continue to trip over themselves and their silly obsession with athleticism. All forgetting you're in a post-Vick age where running QBs with subpar passing ability are neutralized by athletic defenses.
It's funny because this a disease that has manifested itself at the highest levels, but the condition(s) start at the lowest levels. Which is to say, it's a problem lumped onto the NFL that professional football alone likely can't fix.
A couple years ago I got into coaching. Was asked to be an assistant and had a blast doing it. Moved on to something else and was asked to coach an alumni team that following summer, except at the top spot. Brought in a few of the kids who were graduating seniors that year.
NONE of them had played in an offense that put them under center. This isn't hyperbole. I had a RB and a kid I tried out at QB who had never once run without being in the gun. Had to teach things from footwork and stance pre-snap, to drive step from the center, proper hand offs, then timing and sells on fakes. It was unreal for me because it was rare when we went to the gun when I was a kid.
I also threw in things I empowered my QB to do. Make a check at the line to kill to a run. We had two "lookie" sight adjusts I let him work with as well in a couple formations for specific plays. Keep in mind I only had 10 weeks to put this group together, but they did pretty great considering.
Now I told you that story because in that experience, I saw in real time what comments Tom Brady echoed about modern quarterbacking. In essence that these kids, starting at the most fundamental levels, aren't being comprehensively developed as football players both physically AND mentally. Instead you bring in great raw athletes and then put them into what amounts to, I call a "Nanny State" system. Where I'm teaching that system, controlling it from the top down like a complete psychopath, and not empowering my QB to be an extension of myself as a coach on the field.
When you think of the great QBs, you think of them as passers and field generals. Not elite athletes. I'm not saying you can't be the latter and get it done, look at Lamar Jackson. But what has held the Ravens offense back, especially in crucial moments, is that he has consistently failed to elevate himself to that elite passer status.
But by and large, what the current state of offense has done, starting about 20 years ago, between the advent of RPO, QB-run centric, hand-holding offenses has lead to this mental neutering of QBs. Taking the control of the game from their hands, and putting it entirely on the coaches to play their chess match while removing the dynamic element of the cerebral signal caller.
Meaning these kids struggle to learn and process difficult and higher functioning offensive concepts and now can't act as the proper extension of their coaches, mentally speaking, on the field; because they're so used to having their decision making handled for them pre and post snap.
Patrick Mahomes has admitted he had little idea how to read defenses his first two years. His success is a testament to the KC coaching staff. But his accession to greatest is the far removed exception, not the rule. Now these kids are lucky to be average passers at best, while NFL front offices continue to trip over themselves and their silly obsession with athleticism. All forgetting you're in a post-Vick age where running QBs with subpar passing ability are neutralized by athletic defenses.
Nice read! One thing many forget is Patrick Mahomes didn't start as a wide-eyed rookie QB. He was able to watch veteran QB Alex Smith lead the Chiefs to the playoffs with a very intelligent offensive minded HC (Andy Reid). I'd take something like that all day long all year long without any pass interference from DePodesta. Aaron Rodgers and Air McNair got to sit their 1st 3 years as did Jordan Love. Today, they throw these guys right out there and Heaven help them if there's any growing pains whatsoever. HOF QB Terry Bradshaw was still getting benched in his 4th season, which means today he probably would have been cut before the HOF football launched. Here's his stats early on. Look at the TD:INT ratio each year as well as the comp%.
Year Team Games Passing Rushing Sacked Fum GP GS Record Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A Lng TD Int Rtg Att Yds Y/A Lng TD Sck SckY 1970 PIT 13 8 3−5 83 218 38.1 1,410 6.5 87 6 24 30.4 32 233 7.3 22 1 25 242 3 1971 PIT 14 13 5−8 203 373 54.4 2,259 6.1 49 13 22 59.7 53 247 4.7 39 5 33 287 7 1972 PIT 14 14 11−3 147 308 47.7 1,887 6.1 78 12 12 64.1 58 346 6.0 20 7 29 237 4 1973 PIT 10 9 8−1 89 180 49.4 1,183 6.6 67 10 15 54.5 34 145 4.3 21 3 24 186 3 1974 PIT 8 7 5−2 67 148 45.3 785 5.3 56 7 8 55.2 34 224 6.6 34 2 10 104 1 Some might say different era and that's true but all eras have varying trends that come and go as will this one. IMO, some of these offenses today really aren't very sound schematically. I would have loved to have seen one of these RPO offenses against the 70s Steelers with LC Greenwood on the edge and those levers that cover 3 area codes. Then you had Jack Lambert inside with Joe Greene and Dwight White at the DTs. Jack Ham frequented Pro Bowls at OLB. EVERY guy in that secondary could tackle or cover or in Mel Blount's case - press cover guys anywhere on the field before the rules changed to limiting the distance to do so much closer to the line of scrimmage only. Some of these mobile QBs would not stay healthy trying to do an inside read on that kind of defense.
There's a lot of really bad defense being played in this era, which can make an RPO appear to be better than it really is. This era is all about the best QBs (with the best OC/HC combos) will be the ones frequenting the playoffs. JMO, supply and demand is never going to provide 32 QBs ready to deliver frequent success and playoffs. Now, college football has the transfer portal so even some of these kids going to different coaches and different schemes can be less prepared. If anyone is thinking Caleb Williams - well, his HC never changed when he transferred programs (still Lincoln R).
If a young QB is drafted by an organization with a history of serial killing young QBs development and confidence with a lack of patience/understanding - it would never even succeed with a Josh Allen who had some things that needed correcting before what we've continued to see from him following the early growing pains. I'm still worried this will remain a problem for whoever the next young QB/victim will be. Joe Flacco and Crablegs have a wealth of experience so they've fared better in their short extracts of starts here. The playoffs showed us the Joe Flacco the Jets didn't want to re-sign even after Rodgers lasted almost lasted 4 downs there. As for Crablegs, I'm hoping the Chargers secondary has stone hands too. The Ratbirds got Stone Crabbed last week, which was gorgeous! The Chargers have been great at sacking and pressuring QBs this year so I hope our OL plays like they did last week with Bosa projected to return to the edge opposite of Khalil.
I miss my 80s passing games here. Lindy Infante & Bernie Kosar going tag team on exploiting the zone blitz as well seeing an NFL MVP QB that was drafted in round 13 once upon a time. 2 different Kardiac Kids teams that erased countless deficits to win in the closing seconds/minute...
-
I know somewhere l saw a list of a good half dozen young QBs that were drafted high fairly recently but haven’t been cutting the mustard, so they’re on the bench. Young and Richardson were on it.
I half wondered if it might not be a bad idea for the Browns to swing a trade for one of those guys and see if he can morph in to a Goff-like story.
It's funny because this a disease that has manifested itself at the highest levels, but the condition(s) start at the lowest levels. Which is to say, it's a problem lumped onto the NFL that professional football alone likely can't fix.
A couple years ago I got into coaching. Was asked to be an assistant and had a blast doing it. Moved on to something else and was asked to coach an alumni team that following summer, except at the top spot. Brought in a few of the kids who were graduating seniors that year.
NONE of them had played in an offense that put them under center. This isn't hyperbole. I had a RB and a kid I tried out at QB who had never once run without being in the gun. Had to teach things from footwork and stance pre-snap, to drive step from the center, proper hand offs, then timing and sells on fakes. It was unreal for me because it was rare when we went to the gun when I was a kid.
I also threw in things I empowered my QB to do. Make a check at the line to kill to a run. We had two "lookie" sight adjusts I let him work with as well in a couple formations for specific plays. Keep in mind I only had 10 weeks to put this group together, but they did pretty great considering.
Now I told you that story because in that experience, I saw in real time what comments Tom Brady echoed about modern quarterbacking. In essence that these kids, starting at the most fundamental levels, aren't being comprehensively developed as football players both physically AND mentally. Instead you bring in great raw athletes and then put them into what amounts to, I call a "Nanny State" system. Where I'm teaching that system, controlling it from the top down like a complete psychopath, and not empowering my QB to be an extension of myself as a coach on the field.
When you think of the great QBs, you think of them as passers and field generals. Not elite athletes. I'm not saying you can't be the latter and get it done, look at Lamar Jackson. But what has held the Ravens offense back, especially in crucial moments, is that he has consistently failed to elevate himself to that elite passer status.
But by and large, what the current state of offense has done, starting about 20 years ago, between the advent of RPO, QB-run centric, hand-holding offenses has lead to this mental neutering of QBs. Taking the control of the game from their hands, and putting it entirely on the coaches to play their chess match while removing the dynamic element of the cerebral signal caller.
Meaning these kids struggle to learn and process difficult and higher functioning offensive concepts and now can't act as the proper extension of their coaches, mentally speaking, on the field; because they're so used to having their decision making handled for them pre and post snap.
Patrick Mahomes has admitted he had little idea how to read defenses his first two years. His success is a testament to the KC coaching staff. But his accession to greatest is the far removed exception, not the rule. Now these kids are lucky to be average passers at best, while NFL front offices continue to trip over themselves and their silly obsession with athleticism. All forgetting you're in a post-Vick age where running QBs with subpar passing ability are neutralized by athletic defenses.
It's funny because this a disease that has manifested itself at the highest levels, but the condition(s) start at the lowest levels. Which is to say, it's a problem lumped onto the NFL that professional football alone likely can't fix.
A couple years ago I got into coaching. Was asked to be an assistant and had a blast doing it. Moved on to something else and was asked to coach an alumni team that following summer, except at the top spot. Brought in a few of the kids who were graduating seniors that year.
NONE of them had played in an offense that put them under center. This isn't hyperbole. I had a RB and a kid I tried out at QB who had never once run without being in the gun. Had to teach things from footwork and stance pre-snap, to drive step from the center, proper hand offs, then timing and sells on fakes. It was unreal for me because it was rare when we went to the gun when I was a kid.
I also threw in things I empowered my QB to do. Make a check at the line to kill to a run. We had two "lookie" sight adjusts I let him work with as well in a couple formations for specific plays. Keep in mind I only had 10 weeks to put this group together, but they did pretty great considering.
Now I told you that story because in that experience, I saw in real time what comments Tom Brady echoed about modern quarterbacking. In essence that these kids, starting at the most fundamental levels, aren't being comprehensively developed as football players both physically AND mentally. Instead you bring in great raw athletes and then put them into what amounts to, I call a "Nanny State" system. Where I'm teaching that system, controlling it from the top down like a complete psychopath, and not empowering my QB to be an extension of myself as a coach on the field.
When you think of the great QBs, you think of them as passers and field generals. Not elite athletes. I'm not saying you can't be the latter and get it done, look at Lamar Jackson. But what has held the Ravens offense back, especially in crucial moments, is that he has consistently failed to elevate himself to that elite passer status.
But by and large, what the current state of offense has done, starting about 20 years ago, between the advent of RPO, QB-run centric, hand-holding offenses has lead to this mental neutering of QBs. Taking the control of the game from their hands, and putting it entirely on the coaches to play their chess match while removing the dynamic element of the cerebral signal caller.
Meaning these kids struggle to learn and process difficult and higher functioning offensive concepts and now can't act as the proper extension of their coaches, mentally speaking, on the field; because they're so used to having their decision making handled for them pre and post snap.
Patrick Mahomes has admitted he had little idea how to read defenses his first two years. His success is a testament to the KC coaching staff. But his accession to greatest is the far removed exception, not the rule. Now these kids are lucky to be average passers at best, while NFL front offices continue to trip over themselves and their silly obsession with athleticism. All forgetting you're in a post-Vick age where running QBs with subpar passing ability are neutralized by athletic defenses.
B. I. N. G. O.
-
I know somewhere l saw a list of a good half dozen young QBs that were drafted high fairly recently but haven’t been cutting the mustard, so they’re on the bench. Young and Richardson were on it.
I half wondered if it might not be a bad idea for the Browns to swing a trade for one of those guys and see if he can morph in to a Goff-like story.
It's funny because this a disease that has manifested itself at the highest levels, but the condition(s) start at the lowest levels. Which is to say, it's a problem lumped onto the NFL that professional football alone likely can't fix.
A couple years ago I got into coaching. Was asked to be an assistant and had a blast doing it. Moved on to something else and was asked to coach an alumni team that following summer, except at the top spot. Brought in a few of the kids who were graduating seniors that year.
NONE of them had played in an offense that put them under center. This isn't hyperbole. I had a RB and a kid I tried out at QB who had never once run without being in the gun. Had to teach things from footwork and stance pre-snap, to drive step from the center, proper hand offs, then timing and sells on fakes. It was unreal for me because it was rare when we went to the gun when I was a kid.
I also threw in things I empowered my QB to do. Make a check at the line to kill to a run. We had two "lookie" sight adjusts I let him work with as well in a couple formations for specific plays. Keep in mind I only had 10 weeks to put this group together, but they did pretty great considering.
Now I told you that story because in that experience, I saw in real time what comments Tom Brady echoed about modern quarterbacking. In essence that these kids, starting at the most fundamental levels, aren't being comprehensively developed as football players both physically AND mentally. Instead you bring in great raw athletes and then put them into what amounts to, I call a "Nanny State" system. Where I'm teaching that system, controlling it from the top down like a complete psychopath, and not empowering my QB to be an extension of myself as a coach on the field.
When you think of the great QBs, you think of them as passers and field generals. Not elite athletes. I'm not saying you can't be the latter and get it done, look at Lamar Jackson. But what has held the Ravens offense back, especially in crucial moments, is that he has consistently failed to elevate himself to that elite passer status.
But by and large, what the current state of offense has done, starting about 20 years ago, between the advent of RPO, QB-run centric, hand-holding offenses has lead to this mental neutering of QBs. Taking the control of the game from their hands, and putting it entirely on the coaches to play their chess match while removing the dynamic element of the cerebral signal caller.
Meaning these kids struggle to learn and process difficult and higher functioning offensive concepts and now can't act as the proper extension of their coaches, mentally speaking, on the field; because they're so used to having their decision making handled for them pre and post snap.
Patrick Mahomes has admitted he had little idea how to read defenses his first two years. His success is a testament to the KC coaching staff. But his accession to greatest is the far removed exception, not the rule. Now these kids are lucky to be average passers at best, while NFL front offices continue to trip over themselves and their silly obsession with athleticism. All forgetting you're in a post-Vick age where running QBs with subpar passing ability are neutralized by athletic defenses.
It's funny because this a disease that has manifested itself at the highest levels, but the condition(s) start at the lowest levels. Which is to say, it's a problem lumped onto the NFL that professional football alone likely can't fix.
A couple years ago I got into coaching. Was asked to be an assistant and had a blast doing it. Moved on to something else and was asked to coach an alumni team that following summer, except at the top spot. Brought in a few of the kids who were graduating seniors that year.
NONE of them had played in an offense that put them under center. This isn't hyperbole. I had a RB and a kid I tried out at QB who had never once run without being in the gun. Had to teach things from footwork and stance pre-snap, to drive step from the center, proper hand offs, then timing and sells on fakes. It was unreal for me because it was rare when we went to the gun when I was a kid.
I also threw in things I empowered my QB to do. Make a check at the line to kill to a run. We had two "lookie" sight adjusts I let him work with as well in a couple formations for specific plays. Keep in mind I only had 10 weeks to put this group together, but they did pretty great considering.
Now I told you that story because in that experience, I saw in real time what comments Tom Brady echoed about modern quarterbacking. In essence that these kids, starting at the most fundamental levels, aren't being comprehensively developed as football players both physically AND mentally. Instead you bring in great raw athletes and then put them into what amounts to, I call a "Nanny State" system. Where I'm teaching that system, controlling it from the top down like a complete psychopath, and not empowering my QB to be an extension of myself as a coach on the field.
When you think of the great QBs, you think of them as passers and field generals. Not elite athletes. I'm not saying you can't be the latter and get it done, look at Lamar Jackson. But what has held the Ravens offense back, especially in crucial moments, is that he has consistently failed to elevate himself to that elite passer status.
But by and large, what the current state of offense has done, starting about 20 years ago, between the advent of RPO, QB-run centric, hand-holding offenses has lead to this mental neutering of QBs. Taking the control of the game from their hands, and putting it entirely on the coaches to play their chess match while removing the dynamic element of the cerebral signal caller.
Meaning these kids struggle to learn and process difficult and higher functioning offensive concepts and now can't act as the proper extension of their coaches, mentally speaking, on the field; because they're so used to having their decision making handled for them pre and post snap.
Patrick Mahomes has admitted he had little idea how to read defenses his first two years. His success is a testament to the KC coaching staff. But his accession to greatest is the far removed exception, not the rule. Now these kids are lucky to be average passers at best, while NFL front offices continue to trip over themselves and their silly obsession with athleticism. All forgetting you're in a post-Vick age where running QBs with subpar passing ability are neutralized by athletic defenses.
Really good reply here, thanks for the insight. It’s kind of surprising to me too. I can’t speak to youth football but my kid went the travel softball route and there’s really no end to how much money a parent can spend on personal trainers, hitting instructors, hotel rooms, $400 bats, etc.
With how much money is at stake in football l’m surprised there aren’t specialized QB instructors who try to mitigate the gap to get young aspiring stars up to speed. It stands to reason coaches just want to win at all levels, so l understand them putting their best athletes at the premium positions.
-
Makes me wonder if we could see a renaissance of pro-style offenses in college football. If I was a high school QB i would prefer going to a school who runs an offense from under center that teaches me how to think under fire.
-
It's funny because this a disease that has manifested itself at the highest levels, but the condition(s) start at the lowest levels. Which is to say, it's a problem lumped onto the NFL that professional football alone likely can't fix.
A couple years ago I got into coaching. Was asked to be an assistant and had a blast doing it. Moved on to something else and was asked to coach an alumni team that following summer, except at the top spot. Brought in a few of the kids who were graduating seniors that year.
NONE of them had played in an offense that put them under center. This isn't hyperbole. I had a RB and a kid I tried out at QB who had never once run without being in the gun. Had to teach things from footwork and stance pre-snap, to drive step from the center, proper hand offs, then timing and sells on fakes. It was unreal for me because it was rare when we went to the gun when I was a kid.
I also threw in things I empowered my QB to do. Make a check at the line to kill to a run. We had two "lookie" sight adjusts I let him work with as well in a couple formations for specific plays. Keep in mind I only had 10 weeks to put this group together, but they did pretty great considering.
Now I told you that story because in that experience, I saw in real time what comments Tom Brady echoed about modern quarterbacking. In essence that these kids, starting at the most fundamental levels, aren't being comprehensively developed as football players both physically AND mentally. Instead you bring in great raw athletes and then put them into what amounts to, I call a "Nanny State" system. Where I'm teaching that system, controlling it from the top down like a complete psychopath, and not empowering my QB to be an extension of myself as a coach on the field.
When you think of the great QBs, you think of them as passers and field generals. Not elite athletes. I'm not saying you can't be the latter and get it done, look at Lamar Jackson. But what has held the Ravens offense back, especially in crucial moments, is that he has consistently failed to elevate himself to that elite passer status.
But by and large, what the current state of offense has done, starting about 20 years ago, between the advent of RPO, QB-run centric, hand-holding offenses has lead to this mental neutering of QBs. Taking the control of the game from their hands, and putting it entirely on the coaches to play their chess match while removing the dynamic element of the cerebral signal caller.
Meaning these kids struggle to learn and process difficult and higher functioning offensive concepts and now can't act as the proper extension of their coaches, mentally speaking, on the field; because they're so used to having their decision making handled for them pre and post snap.
Patrick Mahomes has admitted he had little idea how to read defenses his first two years. His success is a testament to the KC coaching staff. But his accession to greatest is the far removed exception, not the rule. Now these kids are lucky to be average passers at best, while NFL front offices continue to trip over themselves and their silly obsession with athleticism. All forgetting you're in a post-Vick age where running QBs with subpar passing ability are neutralized by athletic defenses.
Really good reply here, thanks for the insight. It’s kind of surprising to me too. I can’t speak to youth football but my kid went the travel softball route and there’s really no end to how much money a parent can spend on personal trainers, hitting instructors, hotel rooms, $400 bats, etc.
With how much money is at stake in football l’m surprised there aren’t specialized QB instructors who try to mitigate the gap to get young aspiring stars up to speed. It stands to reason coaches just want to win at all levels, so l understand them putting their best athletes at the premium positions.
Really good reply here, thanks for the insight. It’s kind of surprising to me too. I can’t speak to youth football but my kid went the travel softball route and there’s really no end to how much money a parent can spend on personal trainers, hitting instructors, hotel rooms, $400 bats, etc.
With how much money is at stake in football l’m surprised there aren’t specialized QB instructors who try to mitigate the gap to get young aspiring stars up to speed. It stands to reason coaches just want to win at all levels, so l understand them putting their best athletes at the premium positions.
Some good points you make IBB. The Mannings have a QB Camp they invite a lot of promising QBs to - many of previous attendees eventually became 1st round draft picks. Trent Dilfer has also been trying to do this with kids. Sometimes the best teachers aren't the star QBs.
-
Really good reply here, thanks for the insight. It’s kind of surprising to me too. I can’t speak to youth football but my kid went the travel softball route and there’s really no end to how much money a parent can spend on personal trainers, hitting instructors, hotel rooms, $400 bats, etc.
With how much money is at stake in football l’m surprised there aren’t specialized QB instructors who try to mitigate the gap to get young aspiring stars up to speed. It stands to reason coaches just want to win at all levels, so l understand them putting their best athletes at the premium positions.
Some good points you make IBB. The Mannings have a QB Camp they invite a lot of promising QBs to - many of previous attendees eventually became 1st round draft picks. Trent Dilfer has also been trying to do this with kids. Sometimes the best teachers aren't the star QBs.
Some good points you make IBB. The Mannings have a QB Camp they invite a lot of promising QBs to - many of previous attendees eventually became 1st round draft picks. Trent Dilfer has also been trying to do this with kids. Sometimes the best teachers aren't the star QBs.
I’m reminded of this when l think about Ted Williams’ managerial career.
-
Some good points you make IBB. The Mannings have a QB Camp they invite a lot of promising QBs to - many of previous attendees eventually became 1st round draft picks. Trent Dilfer has also been trying to do this with kids. Sometimes the best teachers aren't the star QBs.
I’m reminded of this when l think about Ted Williams’ managerial career.
I’m reminded of this when l think about Ted Williams’ managerial career.
Eggs-actly. Or, all the QBs FO Exec John Elway got wrong until he finally decided to go sign an already proven Peyton Manning. One would think a great QB would find it easy to go find/draft a great QB. Having said that, I think Elway's back-up QB (Gary Kubiak) became far more efficient at understanding all that goes into what young QB prospects need to succeed and even down to the extent of which ones appear to be a better choice to draft. Just a guess on my part though...
-
-
Is the Wonderlic test still a thing? I thought that was something college QBs took to assess their cognitive abilities and how those might translate to the NFL, or something along those lines?
I always thought it was a silly name for a test, unless it had something to do with Tootsie Pops.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login