Skip to content

The Official Browns vs Steelers Game Thread Nov 21st

The Browns Board
112 25 2.9k 1
  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #89

    Does anyone know why TJ Watt didn’t play last night?

  • Does anyone know why TJ Watt didn’t play last night?

    Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #90

    @dutch-oven said:

    Does anyone know why TJ Watt didn’t play last night?

    He called off with a bad case Jack Conklin.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Does anyone know why TJ Watt didn’t play last night?

    He called off with a bad case Jack Conklin.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #91

    @canton-dawg said:

    He called off with a bad case Jack Conklin.

    467881177_18083207869552318_3205385421763225829_n.jpg

  • @londonbrown said:

    Agree here. Stefanski is not the problem in Cleveland , far from it 

    Who made the decision to keep playing massage man?  If he wasn't injured Stefanski would still be playing him.  He owns this season.  I'm not saying he needs to be fired but he's reason #1 our season was over in October.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #92

    @usfbrown said:

    Who made the decision to keep playing massage man?  If he wasn't injured Stefanski would still be playing him. 

    He made that decision because message man gives the team the best chance of winning.  He's a better QB than Winston and he's better than DTR.  One can argue that the bar is set kinda' low...but he's the best QB we got.  Now, I'm not sure who our starting QB will be next year....but I'd wager that it won't be Winston.

    .....to the game...

    Some of our most memorable games have come on Thursday nights.  I remember when Josh Cribbs almost single handedly beat the Steelers on a freeeezing cold Thursday night!  

    Good game by Winston.  Only the one INT.  That scrambling TD he got on 4th down deserves a spot in Browns vs Steelers lore.  

    A good game by Chubb.  His stats don't show how hard he ran and how many yards he made when there was absolutely nothing there for him.  Two times he smashed his way into the end zone.  And he picked up a huge 4th and 2 first down!

    Good game Judy!  He was there in the clutch.  Akins made some catches.  Njoku dropped a simple TD catch....but followed it up with a GREAT 2 point conversion catch.

    Was nice to see Garrett show up Watt!!!!

    Newsome gave up some plays...again.   Ten tackles for Delpit.  Five solo tackles by Diabate.  

    Tillman has come back to earth a bit over the last two games (the fumble was a low point).  But hopefully he can step up his game a bit now that defenses know that they've got to pay attention to him.  

    .....Another Great Thursday Night Win over the Steelers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     (screw the draft...it's the Steelers!!!!!)

  • @usfbrown said:

    Who made the decision to keep playing massage man?  If he wasn't injured Stefanski would still be playing him. 

    He made that decision because message man gives the team the best chance of winning.  He's a better QB than Winston and he's better than DTR.  One can argue that the bar is set kinda' low...but he's the best QB we got.  Now, I'm not sure who our starting QB will be next year....but I'd wager that it won't be Winston.

    .....to the game...

    Some of our most memorable games have come on Thursday nights.  I remember when Josh Cribbs almost single handedly beat the Steelers on a freeeezing cold Thursday night!  

    Good game by Winston.  Only the one INT.  That scrambling TD he got on 4th down deserves a spot in Browns vs Steelers lore.  

    A good game by Chubb.  His stats don't show how hard he ran and how many yards he made when there was absolutely nothing there for him.  Two times he smashed his way into the end zone.  And he picked up a huge 4th and 2 first down!

    Good game Judy!  He was there in the clutch.  Akins made some catches.  Njoku dropped a simple TD catch....but followed it up with a GREAT 2 point conversion catch.

    Was nice to see Garrett show up Watt!!!!

    Newsome gave up some plays...again.   Ten tackles for Delpit.  Five solo tackles by Diabate.  

    Tillman has come back to earth a bit over the last two games (the fumble was a low point).  But hopefully he can step up his game a bit now that defenses know that they've got to pay attention to him.  

    .....Another Great Thursday Night Win over the Steelers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     (screw the draft...it's the Steelers!!!!!)

    USFBrownU USFBrown wrote on last edited by USFBrown
    #93

    @orion said:

    He made that decision because message man gives the team the best chance of winning.  He's a better QB than Winston and he's better than DTR.  One can argue that the bar is set kinda' low...but he's the best QB we got.  Now, I'm not sure who our starting QB will be next year....but I'd wager that it won't be Winston.

    .....to the game...

    Some of our most memorable games have come on Thursday nights.  I remember when Josh Cribbs almost single handedly beat the Steelers on a freeeezing cold Thursday night!  

    Good game by Winston.  Only the one INT.  That scrambling TD he got on 4th down deserves a spot in Browns vs Steelers lore.  

    A good game by Chubb.  His stats don't show how hard he ran and how many yards he made when there was absolutely nothing there for him.  Two times he smashed his way into the end zone.  And he picked up a huge 4th and 2 first down!

    Good game Judy!  He was there in the clutch.  Akins made some catches.  Njoku dropped a simple TD catch....but followed it up with a GREAT 2 point conversion catch.

    Was nice to see Garrett show up Watt!!!!

    Newsome gave up some plays...again.   Ten tackles for Delpit.  Five solo tackles by Diabate.  

    Tillman has come back to earth a bit over the last two games (the fumble was a low point).  But hopefully he can step up his game a bit now that defenses know that they've got to pay attention to him.  

    .....Another Great Thursday Night Win over the Steelers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     (screw the draft...it's the Steelers!!!!!)

    Completely false my guy. Watson was the worst QB in the NFL by far in several statistics. He couldn't put up 20 points or pass for over 200 yards. Yeah it's a team sport but anyone with a set of eyeballs can see Winston gives us a better chance than massage man. 

    Even in a snowstorm, Winston played better than any of Watson's games

  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #94

  • @londonbrown said:

    Agree here. Stefanski is not the problem in Cleveland , far from it 

    Who made the decision to keep playing massage man?  If he wasn't injured Stefanski would still be playing him.  He owns this season.  I'm not saying he needs to be fired but he's reason #1 our season was over in October.

    L LondonBrown wrote on last edited by
    #95

    @usfbrown said:

    Who made the decision to keep playing massage man?  If he wasn't injured Stefanski would still be playing him.  He owns this season.  I'm not saying he needs to be fired but he's reason #1 our season was over in October.

    How many people go to work and do the opposite of what there boss asks them to do?

  • @orion said:

    He made that decision because message man gives the team the best chance of winning.  He's a better QB than Winston and he's better than DTR.  One can argue that the bar is set kinda' low...but he's the best QB we got.  Now, I'm not sure who our starting QB will be next year....but I'd wager that it won't be Winston.

    .....to the game...

    Some of our most memorable games have come on Thursday nights.  I remember when Josh Cribbs almost single handedly beat the Steelers on a freeeezing cold Thursday night!  

    Good game by Winston.  Only the one INT.  That scrambling TD he got on 4th down deserves a spot in Browns vs Steelers lore.  

    A good game by Chubb.  His stats don't show how hard he ran and how many yards he made when there was absolutely nothing there for him.  Two times he smashed his way into the end zone.  And he picked up a huge 4th and 2 first down!

    Good game Judy!  He was there in the clutch.  Akins made some catches.  Njoku dropped a simple TD catch....but followed it up with a GREAT 2 point conversion catch.

    Was nice to see Garrett show up Watt!!!!

    Newsome gave up some plays...again.   Ten tackles for Delpit.  Five solo tackles by Diabate.  

    Tillman has come back to earth a bit over the last two games (the fumble was a low point).  But hopefully he can step up his game a bit now that defenses know that they've got to pay attention to him.  

    .....Another Great Thursday Night Win over the Steelers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     (screw the draft...it's the Steelers!!!!!)

    Completely false my guy. Watson was the worst QB in the NFL by far in several statistics. He couldn't put up 20 points or pass for over 200 yards. Yeah it's a team sport but anyone with a set of eyeballs can see Winston gives us a better chance than massage man. 

    Even in a snowstorm, Winston played better than any of Watson's games

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #96

    @usfbrown said:

    Even in a snowstorm, Winston played better than any of Watson's games

    Not true.  Watson's numbers were improving each and every game.  (and he had games with a higher passer rating than Winston's)

    Do I like Watson?  No.  Do I want to move on from Watson?  Yes.  If for no other reason than he gets hurt all the time.

    Do I like Winston?  Sure.  Great guy.  But he's not any team's future.

  • @usfbrown said:

    Even in a snowstorm, Winston played better than any of Watson's games

    Not true.  Watson's numbers were improving each and every game.  (and he had games with a higher passer rating than Winston's)

    Do I like Watson?  No.  Do I want to move on from Watson?  Yes.  If for no other reason than he gets hurt all the time.

    Do I like Winston?  Sure.  Great guy.  But he's not any team's future.

    C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #97

    @orion said:

    Watson's numbers were improving each and every game.  (and he had games with a higher passer rating than Winston's)

    Sorry, I don't see that. He was headed to nowwhere. Watson was a better passer maybe, but a far worse head case and he didn't care.

    At least Winston CARES hugely.

    https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/3122840/deshaun-watson

                                         
                                         
                                         
                                         
                                         
                                         
                                         
  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #98

    pickens should get fined

  • @usfbrown said:

    Even in a snowstorm, Winston played better than any of Watson's games

    Not true.  Watson's numbers were improving each and every game.  (and he had games with a higher passer rating than Winston's)

    Do I like Watson?  No.  Do I want to move on from Watson?  Yes.  If for no other reason than he gets hurt all the time.

    Do I like Winston?  Sure.  Great guy.  But he's not any team's future.

    USFBrownU USFBrown wrote on last edited by USFBrown
    #99

    @orion said:

    Not true.  Watson's numbers were improving each and every game.  (and he had games with a higher passer rating than Winston's)

    Do I like Watson?  No.  Do I want to move on from Watson?  Yes.  If for no other reason than he gets hurt all the time.

    Do I like Winston?  Sure.  Great guy.  But he's not any team's future.

    Yeah. A high qbr with games of 110 yards passing. So much better than Winston. 

    You're correct. He's not the future but he's a hell of a lot better than Waston.  At this point he's the best QB on the roster. 

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by

    Not that all stats can't be skewed or misrepresented, and most are bad without depth and context, but Passer Rating is a pretty awful stat/metric. 

  • @orion said:

    Not true.  Watson's numbers were improving each and every game.  (and he had games with a higher passer rating than Winston's)

    Do I like Watson?  No.  Do I want to move on from Watson?  Yes.  If for no other reason than he gets hurt all the time.

    Do I like Winston?  Sure.  Great guy.  But he's not any team's future.

    Yeah. A high qbr with games of 110 yards passing. So much better than Winston. 

    You're correct. He's not the future but he's a hell of a lot better than Waston.  At this point he's the best QB on the roster. 

    sydS syd wrote on last edited by

    @usfbrown said:

    He's not the future but he's a hell of a lot better than Waston.  At this point he's the best QB on the roster. 

    and brings enjoyment to watching the game

  • @orion said:

    Not true.  Watson's numbers were improving each and every game.  (and he had games with a higher passer rating than Winston's)

    Do I like Watson?  No.  Do I want to move on from Watson?  Yes.  If for no other reason than he gets hurt all the time.

    Do I like Winston?  Sure.  Great guy.  But he's not any team's future.

    Yeah. A high qbr with games of 110 yards passing. So much better than Winston. 

    You're correct. He's not the future but he's a hell of a lot better than Waston.  At this point he's the best QB on the roster. 

    M Marvin the Martian wrote on last edited by Marvin the Martian

    @usfbrown said:

    Yeah. A high qbr with games of 110 yards passing. So much better than Winston. 

    You're correct. He's not the future but he's a hell of a lot better than Waston.  At this point he's the best QB on the roster. 

    @syd said:

    and brings enjoyment to watching the game

    At least Winston tries.  Watson the Great does not play hard despite having better ability

  • @usfbrown said:

    Even in a snowstorm, Winston played better than any of Watson's games

    Not true.  Watson's numbers were improving each and every game.  (and he had games with a higher passer rating than Winston's)

    Do I like Watson?  No.  Do I want to move on from Watson?  Yes.  If for no other reason than he gets hurt all the time.

    Do I like Winston?  Sure.  Great guy.  But he's not any team's future.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by

    @orion said:

    Not true.  Watson's numbers were improving each and every game.  (and he had games with a higher passer rating than Winston's)

    Do I like Watson?  No.  Do I want to move on from Watson?  Yes.  If for no other reason than he gets hurt all the time.

    Do I like Winston?  Sure.  Great guy.  But he's not any team's future.

    Well, it's not hard to improve when you're ranked 30th or below in about every statistical category that matters. 

    Watson certainly doesn't pass my eye test (and a lot of other "experts") for that matter. Looked lie a bum third string QB to my eyes. Horrible pocket awareness, not seeing wide open receivers, and his deep ball accuracy is totally shot. 

    Winston may not be this team's future, but I damn guarantee you Watson isn't. And the future is looking mighty bleak with that $172 million dead cap hit that Berry not so wisely backloaded onto the Watson deal.  

  • @orion said:

    Not true.  Watson's numbers were improving each and every game.  (and he had games with a higher passer rating than Winston's)

    Do I like Watson?  No.  Do I want to move on from Watson?  Yes.  If for no other reason than he gets hurt all the time.

    Do I like Winston?  Sure.  Great guy.  But he's not any team's future.

    Well, it's not hard to improve when you're ranked 30th or below in about every statistical category that matters. 

    Watson certainly doesn't pass my eye test (and a lot of other "experts") for that matter. Looked lie a bum third string QB to my eyes. Horrible pocket awareness, not seeing wide open receivers, and his deep ball accuracy is totally shot. 

    Winston may not be this team's future, but I damn guarantee you Watson isn't. And the future is looking mighty bleak with that $172 million dead cap hit that Berry not so wisely backloaded onto the Watson deal.  

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by

    @hoorta said:

    Well, it's not hard to improve when you're ranked 30th or below in about every statistical category that matters. 

    Watson certainly doesn't pass my eye test (and a lot of other "experts") for that matter. Looked lie a bum third string QB to my eyes. Horrible pocket awareness, not seeing wide open receivers, and his deep ball accuracy is totally shot. 

    Winston may not be this team's future, but I damn guarantee you Watson isn't. And the future is looking mighty bleak with that $172 million dead cap hit that Berry not so wisely backloaded onto the Watson deal.  

    The day they can Watson... I'm gonna find myself a nice cabernet.. Roll up a fatty and party like its 2099...

  • @orion said:

    Not true.  Watson's numbers were improving each and every game.  (and he had games with a higher passer rating than Winston's)

    Do I like Watson?  No.  Do I want to move on from Watson?  Yes.  If for no other reason than he gets hurt all the time.

    Do I like Winston?  Sure.  Great guy.  But he's not any team's future.

    Yeah. A high qbr with games of 110 yards passing. So much better than Winston. 

    You're correct. He's not the future but he's a hell of a lot better than Waston.  At this point he's the best QB on the roster. 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel

    @usfbrown said:

    Yeah. A high qbr with games of 110 yards passing. So much better than Winston. 

    You're correct. He's not the future but he's a hell of a lot better than Waston.  At this point he's the best QB on the roster. 

    When the Browns decided to go after the QB that led Houston to the playoffs in his 2nd and 3rd NFL seasons (making the Pro Bowl both times and advancing past Buffalo in Jan 2020) many of us hoped we'd tap the same talent. 

    These numbers from year #2 in 2018-2020 in Houston don't reflect anything close to same QB that took the field for the Browns:

    2018   68.3 comp%  4165 yds  26 TD 9 INT  103.1 rating

    2019   67.3 comp%  3852 yds  26 TD 12 INT  98 rating

    2020   70.2 comp%  4823 yds 33 TD 7 INT   112.4 rating

    If one only looked at numbers - they'd have no idea Houston had a dumpster fire going on in 2020 with all their divisional opponents toasting marshmallows in it. 

    Let's be honest, Baker had more fans in here after he started playing for TB than he did during his frustrating 2021 season was punctuated by throwing 4 INTs in Green Bay on Christmas Day.  I was surprised to see very few teammates (don't remember reading even 1) saying they were sorry to see him go. JMO (which could be wrong), I think OBJ won the locker room in that feud and I'm pretty sure he impacted the trust/confidence Baker and Jarvis Landry had in one another. 

    IMO, I thought Baker should have been the Rookie of the Year but Saquon Barkley played in a market that included Long Island/NYC, New Jersey and Pennsylvania (Barkley played at Penn State the year before).  Point is Baker's impact in Cleveland changed a winless football team to 7-8-1.  They tied the Steelers in the opener and lost to the Saints 1 week later in the 1st 2 games Baker didn't play in; and they were down by 10 or 14 points to the Jets prior to the Browns giving him a chance to erase the deficit and WIN. Anyway he broke the rookie record for TD passes with 27 with only 13 starts and 1 relief outing. Going from 0-16 to leading the Browns to 7 wins 1 year later was a much bigger impact than the Giants improving from 3-13 to 5-11 via Barkley.

    The thing with Baker over the years is he runs hot and cold.  For example, after playing like a finalist for Rookie of the Year with 27 TD passes to 14 INTs.  He showed up to his 2nd year with a frat boy beer belly reflected by 22 TDs and 21 INTs. However, in my favorite season this side of 1999, Baker threw 26 TD passes to just 8 INTs punctuated by a 48-37 PLAYOFF WIN at Pittsburgh. But the next year he injured his non-throwing shoulder and decided to play through the pain of re-aggravating it every time he hit the ground with a pass rusher landing on him. He ended 2021 with 17 TD passes and 13 INTs.  Isn't it always easiest to think only 1 player is the problem; especially while Andrew Berry had clarified to 1 reporter he didn't draft Baker?  When you hear something like that - you almost have to wonder if that leadership was already trying to prove to the owner they needed someone else.  They were never going to give him the offensive setup in Tampa he's treated to such as a PRO BOWL LT Tristan Wirfs after he made a couple Pro Bowls at RT.  Meatball on spaghetti, he also inherited an elite WR tandem of Mike Evans and Chris Godwin. Maybe it's just a coincidence; but TB has lost their last 4 games without both of these WRs in the lineup at the same time (meaning they were 4-2 with the scoring weapons). I'm still surprised they're only 4-6 in the easiest division in the NFC.  

    When our GM thinks he's outsmarting everyone in the league reaching for the clouds on Anthony Schwartz in the draft - are we sure we're capable of winning anything big with the 2 Harvard Scholars whispering sweet nothings in Jimmy's ears.  FWIW, Stefanski got more out of Flacco than the Jets or Colts have in spite of the situation at QB here last year.

    If you made it this far - you're crazier than the author, but thank you for doing so...

  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by

    For Stefanski, Chubb's performance was no surprise from a player he's seen work hard day in and day out since the head coach's arrival in Cleveland.

    "I've run out of superlatives for Nick, honestly, and he's my favorite player on the team. You can tell everybody else I said that," Stefanski said. "Nick does the right thing all the time

    ---------

    There's talk of what team Chubb might wind up with next season as he's older with multiple surgeries.  But I'm pretty sure that Stefanski is not the only one that has Chubb as his favorite Browns player.  [ I raise my hand ]  -  Keep him!  Please!  At least through next training camp.  He's given his all for the Browns...and by extension, to us.  Give him every opportunity to come back fresh and healthy next season!  

  • For Stefanski, Chubb's performance was no surprise from a player he's seen work hard day in and day out since the head coach's arrival in Cleveland.

    "I've run out of superlatives for Nick, honestly, and he's my favorite player on the team. You can tell everybody else I said that," Stefanski said. "Nick does the right thing all the time

    ---------

    There's talk of what team Chubb might wind up with next season as he's older with multiple surgeries.  But I'm pretty sure that Stefanski is not the only one that has Chubb as his favorite Browns player.  [ I raise my hand ]  -  Keep him!  Please!  At least through next training camp.  He's given his all for the Browns...and by extension, to us.  Give him every opportunity to come back fresh and healthy next season!  

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by

    @orion said:

    For Stefanski, Chubb's performance was no surprise from a player he's seen work hard day in and day out since the head coach's arrival in Cleveland.

    "I've run out of superlatives for Nick, honestly, and he's my favorite player on the team. You can tell everybody else I said that," Stefanski said. "Nick does the right thing all the time

    ---------

    There's talk of what team Chubb might wind up with next season as he's older with multiple surgeries.  But I'm pretty sure that Stefanski is not the only one that has Chubb as his favorite Browns player.  [ I raise my hand ]  -  Keep him!  Please!  At least through next training camp.  He's given his all for the Browns...and by extension, to us.  Give him every opportunity to come back fresh and healthy next season!  

    Absolutely...

  • @browns149 said:

    They only care about money. 

    They bill the Thursday night games as nationally televised.  But are they really?  I mean, to me, if it's not 'over the air' then it's not nationally televised.  But that's just me.

    Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by

    @orion said:

    They bill the Thursday night games as nationally televised.  But are they really?  I mean, to me, if it's not 'over the air' then it's not nationally televised.  But that's just me.

    It wasn’t on here in WV. Unless you have Amazon prime. I listened on the radio.