A 2025 Mock Draft - 1st Round
-
Those aren't bad ideas. The only thing that would stun me is Tom Brady wanting him any part of playing for this organization especially in his 40s. That said, he is part/minority owner of the Raiders and he might be open to throwing to guys like the 2 young TEs Brock Bowers (1st Rd from UGA 2024) and Michael Mayer (2nd Rd from ND 2023). Now, they would be in prime position to draft 2 way starter Travis Touchdown Turner from Color-adoo.
I have an idea for the Browns for a QB in a mid-late round. I just watched 2nd year starter Kyle McCord lead Syracuse to a 10-3 record at SU punctuated with a Bowl win where he went 24 of 34 for 453 yards and 5 TD passes. Not for nothing, he only lost 1 start in his first year starting at Ohio State. He broke the single season record for passing yards in the ACC in only 13 games (compared to the previous record holder that needed 15 games).
This is what I found in Google for the specifics of this 2 year starter - McCord finished his season with 4,779 yards, the highest mark among FBS passers, as well as 34 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. Friday’s win against Washington State marked the seventh time he threw for at least 350 yards in a game this season, a feat he never accomplished at Ohio State.
Yes, this wouldn't be a guy the Browns should start day 1; but learning from a guy like Flacco or an equivalent could work quite well IMO. And for Heaven sakes - can we draft a LT that LIKES his profession? I like the Josh Simmons idea but he's another Tackle coming off a season ending injury like we had going on with both our tackles this year. We should be able to get a pick of the litter.
I like Warren, but using a possible top 5 pick on a tight end? Turning the QB position over to a 48 year old guy who has sat out the last two seasons?
Those are not good ideas. Next cal will suggest us digging up Vince Lombardi and going all "Weekend at Bernie's" with him.
I was wondering when you'd bring McCord up again, I missed most of his bowl game the other day but out of curiosity looked up his stats the next morning... Wow!
He's trying to go back to Syracuse for another season, but as of now he's out of eligibility. I'll be glad when we go back to players being able to play four college seasons, not five, six, seven...
I like Warren, but using a possible top 5 pick on a tight end? Turning the QB position over to a 48 year old guy who has sat out the last two seasons?
Those are not good ideas.
I was wondering when you'd bring McCord up again, I missed most of his bowl game the other day but out of curiosity looked up his stats the next morning... Wow!
He's trying to go back to Syracuse for another season, but as of now he's out of eligibility. I'll be glad when we go back to players being able to play four college seasons, not five, six, seven...
? Regarding the TE - I hear you; and he wouldn't be my choice that high. The reason I said not bad is I would consider him in round 1 if we traded back and added a pick. That said, we already have a 1st round TE here so there isn't really a 1st round urgency for him here.
I think we need the highest rated LT if we're picking inside the top 5. If he's gone, you know who I want (Mason Graham). From a football mindset only - he's not exactly gonna be Big Sexy in here.
As for McCord. there were great Commentators working the game. One was the former Colorado QB who always provides awesome commentary (of course his name escapes me). My recollection is McCord has a choice to return to Syracuse for another season or declare for the draft. Again, this is really important - I don't want him in an early round. Because of his lack of experience - it's a mid-late round hope. Part of the commentary was that SU Receivers weren't getting any separation on their go routes and he said that McCord still throws to them and loves to back shoulder these throws. He said, as you can see - these guys have perfected this. They have good WRs Meeks (UGA transfer) and Pena. TE Oronde Gadsden II is a 6-6 target that weighs about 236 lbs - more specifically a Joe Jurevicius with about 10 more pounds playing TE instead of WR. I think he can play either in the NFL.
That was the 4th SU game I caught and I've seen epic progress from McCord over what I saw last year. Keep in mind that comes from a guy that was glad the Buckeyes were moving on from McCord. I leave it at this - coaching matters for young QBs like this. The Bo Nix that played at Auburn wasn't NFL material to me. The one that left Oregon was - although hindsight 20/20 sure is helping me with that one...
-
Kyle McCord has the numbers, has the arm, but his pocket awareness might be worse than DW. Plus, McCord isn't very mobile.
Bob's broken record rant lol.....Offensive tackle, Linebacker, another Linebacker.
Rebuild the trenches, get a LB or 2 that will knock you on your posterior.
McCord also strikes me as someone who gets locked on a receiver, thus the pick sixes we see from him.
I get your want of linebackers, but the DLine also needs a youth infusion. Could we FINALLY draft a legit pass rusher opposite of Myles? Another DTackle?
I have a bad feeling JOK's career might be done. Linebackers are indeed a definite need.
McCord also strikes me as someone who gets locked on a receiver, thus the pick sixes we see from him.
I get your want of linebackers, but the DLine also needs a youth infusion. Could we FINALLY draft a legit pass rusher opposite of Myles? Another DTackle?
I have a bad feeling JOK's career might be done. Linebackers are indeed a definite need.
Actually, it was brought up that Pitt (his worst game) knew they didn't have a ton of perimeter speed so he loved the back shoulder throws and they picked him off for multiple pick 6s that game. I'll concede that.
THANKS A LOT DUTCH! ?
-
McCord also strikes me as someone who gets locked on a receiver, thus the pick sixes we see from him.
I get your want of linebackers, but the DLine also needs a youth infusion. Could we FINALLY draft a legit pass rusher opposite of Myles? Another DTackle?
I have a bad feeling JOK's career might be done. Linebackers are indeed a definite need.
Yeah, to their credit they've seemed to try and get Myles some help via free agency (Clowney in particular). They've also drafted several D linemen, nothing spectacular but some solid additions.
Hear me out and I'll stop: I think most of your assessment of McCord was his 1st year as a starter for the Buckeyes. And not for nothing, he only lost 1 game against a defense Coordinated by a former Defensive Coach of the Ravens before becoming a gigantic reason TSUN won a Natty. They confused a lot of QBs with that complicated defensive scheme especially Ohio State as usual. They just did it again for a Buckeyes team that ended their regular season with 2 losses.
Reality says, Kyle McCord was undefeated as a 1st year starter all the way until the Buckeyes got outcoached by the hated rival. FWIW, the former DC for the Ravens TSUN employed for last year's team is now the DC of the playoff bound Chargers.
Bob, all that to say - he is a much improved QB with better coaching in just his 2nd year. I'm only advocating him as a mid-late round idea here in what appears to be a stinker draft for QBs. I've heard it said by people way more intelligent than I am that you never want to draft a QB/any prospect that has already played his best football.
Makes sense.
I admit, I'm not anywhere near a "draft guru" like many of you guys. I'm more of an "old school" guy that wants mean defensive players that are smart as well.
I truly believe that if the Browns solidify the trenches, they can make big gains (meaning getting close or exceeding .500 next season, no matter who the QB is). The skill players currently on the roster are decent IMHO.
Makes sense.
I admit, I'm not anywhere near a "draft guru" like many of you guys. I'm more of an "old school" guy that wants mean defensive players that are smart as well.
I truly believe that if the Browns solidify the trenches, they can make big gains (meaning getting close or exceeding .500 next season, no matter who the QB is). The skill players currently on the roster are decent IMHO.
Trust me Bob, there isn't a "draft guru" on this board.
You can never go wrong building a strong OLine and Front Seven on defense. I like your point of view regarding the coming draft.
-
Makes sense.
I admit, I'm not anywhere near a "draft guru" like many of you guys. I'm more of an "old school" guy that wants mean defensive players that are smart as well.
I truly believe that if the Browns solidify the trenches, they can make big gains (meaning getting close or exceeding .500 next season, no matter who the QB is). The skill players currently on the roster are decent IMHO.
Trust me Bob, there isn't a "draft guru" on this board.
You can never go wrong building a strong OLine and Front Seven on defense. I like your point of view regarding the coming draft.
Trust me Bob, there isn't a "draft guru" on this board.
You can never go wrong building a strong OLine and Front Seven on defense. I like your point of view regarding the coming draft.
There doesn't appear to be one in our FO either ?
-
Makes sense.
I admit, I'm not anywhere near a "draft guru" like many of you guys. I'm more of an "old school" guy that wants mean defensive players that are smart as well.
I truly believe that if the Browns solidify the trenches, they can make big gains (meaning getting close or exceeding .500 next season, no matter who the QB is). The skill players currently on the roster are decent IMHO.
Trust me Bob, there isn't a "draft guru" on this board.
You can never go wrong building a strong OLine and Front Seven on defense. I like your point of view regarding the coming draft.
Trust me Bob, there isn't a "draft guru" on this board.
You can never go wrong building a strong OLine and Front Seven on defense. I like your point of view regarding the coming draft.
Yes, all day jobs needed! I'd be sleeping under bridges if I had to peg QBs right for a living.
-
McCord also strikes me as someone who gets locked on a receiver, thus the pick sixes we see from him.
I get your want of linebackers, but the DLine also needs a youth infusion. Could we FINALLY draft a legit pass rusher opposite of Myles? Another DTackle?
I have a bad feeling JOK's career might be done. Linebackers are indeed a definite need.
Yeah, to their credit they've seemed to try and get Myles some help via free agency (Clowney in particular). They've also drafted several D linemen, nothing spectacular but some solid additions.
Hear me out and I'll stop: I think most of your assessment of McCord was his 1st year as a starter for the Buckeyes. And not for nothing, he only lost 1 game against a defense Coordinated by a former Defensive Coach of the Ravens before becoming a gigantic reason TSUN won a Natty. They confused a lot of QBs with that complicated defensive scheme especially Ohio State as usual. They just did it again for a Buckeyes team that ended their regular season with 2 losses.
Reality says, Kyle McCord was undefeated as a 1st year starter all the way until the Buckeyes got outcoached by the hated rival. FWIW, the former DC for the Ravens TSUN employed for last year's team is now the DC of the playoff bound Chargers.
Bob, all that to say - he is a much improved QB with better coaching in just his 2nd year. I'm only advocating him as a mid-late round idea here in what appears to be a stinker draft for QBs. I've heard it said by people way more intelligent than I am that you never want to draft a QB/any prospect that has already played his best football.
Makes sense.
I admit, I'm not anywhere near a "draft guru" like many of you guys. I'm more of an "old school" guy that wants mean defensive players that are smart as well.
I truly believe that if the Browns solidify the trenches, they can make big gains (meaning getting close or exceeding .500 next season, no matter who the QB is). The skill players currently on the roster are decent IMHO.
I'm more of an "old school" guy that wants mean defensive players that are smart as well.
I truly believe that if the Browns solidify the trenches, they can make big gains (meaning getting close or exceeding .500 next season, no matter who the QB is). The skill players currently on the roster are decent IMHO.
Me too Bob!
-
Beyond QB, not seeing that generational difference maker at 7. Still in favor of a trade down and multiple top 50 picks.
-
Beyond QB, not seeing that generational difference maker at 7. Still in favor of a trade down and multiple top 50 picks.
Beyond QB, not seeing that generational difference maker at 7. Still in favor of a trade down and multiple top 50 picks.
How many drafts have generational difference makers sitting at 7?
I mean, that would, in theory mean that picks 1-6 are all generational difference makers too.
But yes, I'm ok with trading down some too. There's tackles and Edges that will be available in the teens.
-
Beyond QB, not seeing that generational difference maker at 7. Still in favor of a trade down and multiple top 50 picks.
How many drafts have generational difference makers sitting at 7?
I mean, that would, in theory mean that picks 1-6 are all generational difference makers too.
But yes, I'm ok with trading down some too. There's tackles and Edges that will be available in the teens.
How many drafts have generational difference makers sitting at 7?
I mean, that would, in theory mean that picks 1-6 are all generational difference makers too.
But yes, I'm ok with trading down some too. There's tackles and Edges that will be available in the teens.
In the last 10 years?
Aaron Donald is a HoF in 2014
2016 Jalen Ramsey is a fringe HoF
2017 had Christian McCarffrey and even further down at 10, Patrick Mahomes.
2018 had Josh Allen and Lamar
2019 had Dexter Lawrence at #17
2020 had Justin Jefferson
2021... I'm already tired of counting.
I suppose what I'm saying is that there is a mix of franchise talent at 7 and elite multi-year talent.
So if what falls to #7 is just a "good-great" a trade down is ideal.
Of course the conversation is moot, the Brownies are #3 and looking at #1 overall should they drop this game vs Miami. Which is fantastic for a rebuild. I'd rather hold all the cards and maintain the possibility of a kings ransom of a trade for #1 than sit at 2-5.
-
How many drafts have generational difference makers sitting at 7?
I mean, that would, in theory mean that picks 1-6 are all generational difference makers too.
But yes, I'm ok with trading down some too. There's tackles and Edges that will be available in the teens.
In the last 10 years?
Aaron Donald is a HoF in 2014
2016 Jalen Ramsey is a fringe HoF
2017 had Christian McCarffrey and even further down at 10, Patrick Mahomes.
2018 had Josh Allen and Lamar
2019 had Dexter Lawrence at #17
2020 had Justin Jefferson
2021... I'm already tired of counting.
I suppose what I'm saying is that there is a mix of franchise talent at 7 and elite multi-year talent.
So if what falls to #7 is just a "good-great" a trade down is ideal.
Of course the conversation is moot, the Brownies are #3 and looking at #1 overall should they drop this game vs Miami. Which is fantastic for a rebuild. I'd rather hold all the cards and maintain the possibility of a kings ransom of a trade for #1 than sit at 2-5.
In the last 10 years?
Aaron Donald is a HoF in 2014
2016 Jalen Ramsey is a fringe HoF
2017 had Christian McCarffrey and even further down at 10, Patrick Mahomes.
2018 had Josh Allen and Lamar
2019 had Dexter Lawrence at #17
2020 had Justin Jefferson
2021... I'm already tired of counting.
I suppose what I'm saying is that there is a mix of franchise talent at 7 and elite multi-year talent.
So if what falls to #7 is just a "good-great" a trade down is ideal.
Of course the conversation is moot, the Brownies are #3 and looking at #1 overall should they drop this game vs Miami. Which is fantastic for a rebuild. I'd rather hold all the cards and maintain the possibility of a kings ransom of a trade for #1 than sit at 2-5.
I get that there has been fantastic players drafted at #7 or around, but my point was that if people knew those players were generational players, they wouldn't had made it to #7. But I get your point.
I guess I gave up the idea the Browns could end up at the top, now I'm afraid they'll just take Sanders and Ward instead of trading down and picking up extra picks. I'm just not real excited about either honestly.
-
Trust me Bob, there isn't a "draft guru" on this board.
You can never go wrong building a strong OLine and Front Seven on defense. I like your point of view regarding the coming draft.
Yes, all day jobs needed! I'd be sleeping under bridges if I had to peg QBs right for a living.
-
Well better than the dog houses we live in now for sure.?
That cost me a mouth full of cold beer you sick bastard.
-
In the last 10 years?
Aaron Donald is a HoF in 2014
2016 Jalen Ramsey is a fringe HoF
2017 had Christian McCarffrey and even further down at 10, Patrick Mahomes.
2018 had Josh Allen and Lamar
2019 had Dexter Lawrence at #17
2020 had Justin Jefferson
2021... I'm already tired of counting.
I suppose what I'm saying is that there is a mix of franchise talent at 7 and elite multi-year talent.
So if what falls to #7 is just a "good-great" a trade down is ideal.
Of course the conversation is moot, the Brownies are #3 and looking at #1 overall should they drop this game vs Miami. Which is fantastic for a rebuild. I'd rather hold all the cards and maintain the possibility of a kings ransom of a trade for #1 than sit at 2-5.
I get that there has been fantastic players drafted at #7 or around, but my point was that if people knew those players were generational players, they wouldn't had made it to #7. But I get your point.
I guess I gave up the idea the Browns could end up at the top, now I'm afraid they'll just take Sanders and Ward instead of trading down and picking up extra picks. I'm just not real excited about either honestly.
I get that there has been fantastic players drafted at #7 or around, but my point was that if people knew those players were generational players, they wouldn't had made it to #7. But I get your point.
I guess I gave up the idea the Browns could end up at the top, now I'm afraid they'll just take Sanders and Ward instead of trading down and picking up extra picks. I'm just not real excited about either honestly.
You know my thoughts on Sanders as a QB. It's everything else, including his Dad that comes along with it.
-
I get that there has been fantastic players drafted at #7 or around, but my point was that if people knew those players were generational players, they wouldn't had made it to #7. But I get your point.
I guess I gave up the idea the Browns could end up at the top, now I'm afraid they'll just take Sanders and Ward instead of trading down and picking up extra picks. I'm just not real excited about either honestly.
You know my thoughts on Sanders as a QB. It's everything else, including his Dad that comes along with it.
-
Tankathon currently has us holding the 3rd pick in the draft.
-
I get that there has been fantastic players drafted at #7 or around, but my point was that if people knew those players were generational players, they wouldn't had made it to #7. But I get your point.
I guess I gave up the idea the Browns could end up at the top, now I'm afraid they'll just take Sanders and Ward instead of trading down and picking up extra picks. I'm just not real excited about either honestly.
You know my thoughts on Sanders as a QB. It's everything else, including his Dad that comes along with it.
-
I hope we get the highest draft pick possible with the hope that Sanders or Ward is available when we are on the clock and some other team gets desperate and gives us a king's ransom to move up.
My fear is that Berry would take one of those guys to buy himself some time. "We have a rookie QB, so we need to be patient". I don't want the Sanders drama, and I'm not a real fan of Ward's game in the NFL.
If we were to take a QB, I'd prefer them looking at someone they could develop that actually fits Stefanski's offense, later in the draft. I'd still take a look at Carson Beck... see if his games translates well here and see why he struggled in the middle of this season so.
And taking a QB after the first round doesn't mean we couldn't target one in the following draft.
-
Georgia QB Carson Beck declares for NFL Draft.
It will be interesting to see where he goes. He just finished his 5th season in college football, but because of the COVID rules could have come back next year. His season ended with an elbow injury at the end of the first half of the SEC Championship Game vs Texas. Kiper has him as the 4th best QB in this draft.
Georgia QB Carson Beck declares for NFL Draft.
It will be interesting to see where he goes. He just finished his 5th season in college football, but because of the COVID rules could have come back next year. His season ended with an elbow injury at the end of the first half of the SEC Championship Game vs Texas. Kiper has him as the 4th best QB in this draft.
My worry is his tendency to turn the ball over BUT this Google snip makes me feel a little better - I think?
In 2023, Georgia quarterback Carson Beck threw six interceptions:-
2023 stats: Beck threw for 3,941 yards and 24 touchdowns
-
2024 stats: Beck threw for 3,485 yards and 28 touchdowns, but also 12 interceptions
Beck's struggles with turnovers in 2024 have been a surprise because he rarely turned the ball over during his first season as a starter.
-
2023 stats: Beck threw for 3,941 yards and 24 touchdowns
-
And I still like Drew Allar, warts and all... I'll definitely be watching him next season.
Remember who started pimpin' him on here first. ?
-
I hope we get the highest draft pick possible with the hope that Sanders or Ward is available when we are on the clock and some other team gets desperate and gives us a king's ransom to move up.
My fear is that Berry would take one of those guys to buy himself some time. "We have a rookie QB, so we need to be patient". I don't want the Sanders drama, and I'm not a real fan of Ward's game in the NFL.
If we were to take a QB, I'd prefer them looking at someone they could develop that actually fits Stefanski's offense, later in the draft. I'd still take a look at Carson Beck... see if his games translates well here and see why he struggled in the middle of this season so.
And taking a QB after the first round doesn't mean we couldn't target one in the following draft.
I hope we get the highest draft pick possible with the hope that Sanders or Ward is available when we are on the clock and some other team gets desperate and gives us a king's ransom to move up.
My fear is that Berry would take one of those guys to buy himself some time. "We have a rookie QB, so we need to be patient". I don't want the Sanders drama, and I'm not a real fan of Ward's game in the NFL.
If we were to take a QB, I'd prefer them looking at someone they could develop that actually fits Stefanski's offense, later in the draft. I'd still take a look at Carson Beck... see if his games translates well here and see why he struggled in the middle of this season so.
And taking a QB after the first round doesn't mean we couldn't target one in the following draft.
My worry is his tendency to turn the ball over BUT this Google snip makes me feel a little better - I think?
In 2023, Georgia quarterback Carson Beck threw six interceptions:-
2023 stats: Beck threw for 3,941 yards and 24 touchdowns
-
2024 stats: Beck threw for 3,485 yards and 28 touchdowns, but also 12 interceptions
I'll be a parrot: I think Beck 2nd or later is a good risk reward. Georgia receivers couldn't catch, couldn't separate, and the o line was a bit shaky. I'm sure you start seeing ghosts and make mistakes.
-
2023 stats: Beck threw for 3,941 yards and 24 touchdowns
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login