A 2025 Mock Draft - 1st Round
-
McCord also strikes me as someone who gets locked on a receiver, thus the pick sixes we see from him.
I get your want of linebackers, but the DLine also needs a youth infusion. Could we FINALLY draft a legit pass rusher opposite of Myles? Another DTackle?
I have a bad feeling JOK's career might be done. Linebackers are indeed a definite need.
Yeah, to their credit they've seemed to try and get Myles some help via free agency (Clowney in particular). They've also drafted several D linemen, nothing spectacular but some solid additions.
Hear me out and I'll stop: I think most of your assessment of McCord was his 1st year as a starter for the Buckeyes. And not for nothing, he only lost 1 game against a defense Coordinated by a former Defensive Coach of the Ravens before becoming a gigantic reason TSUN won a Natty. They confused a lot of QBs with that complicated defensive scheme especially Ohio State as usual. They just did it again for a Buckeyes team that ended their regular season with 2 losses.
Reality says, Kyle McCord was undefeated as a 1st year starter all the way until the Buckeyes got outcoached by the hated rival. FWIW, the former DC for the Ravens TSUN employed for last year's team is now the DC of the playoff bound Chargers.
Bob, all that to say - he is a much improved QB with better coaching in just his 2nd year. I'm only advocating him as a mid-late round idea here in what appears to be a stinker draft for QBs. I've heard it said by people way more intelligent than I am that you never want to draft a QB/any prospect that has already played his best football.
Makes sense.
I admit, I'm not anywhere near a "draft guru" like many of you guys. I'm more of an "old school" guy that wants mean defensive players that are smart as well.
I truly believe that if the Browns solidify the trenches, they can make big gains (meaning getting close or exceeding .500 next season, no matter who the QB is). The skill players currently on the roster are decent IMHO.
I'm more of an "old school" guy that wants mean defensive players that are smart as well.
I truly believe that if the Browns solidify the trenches, they can make big gains (meaning getting close or exceeding .500 next season, no matter who the QB is). The skill players currently on the roster are decent IMHO.
Me too Bob!
-
Beyond QB, not seeing that generational difference maker at 7. Still in favor of a trade down and multiple top 50 picks.
-
Beyond QB, not seeing that generational difference maker at 7. Still in favor of a trade down and multiple top 50 picks.
Beyond QB, not seeing that generational difference maker at 7. Still in favor of a trade down and multiple top 50 picks.
How many drafts have generational difference makers sitting at 7?
I mean, that would, in theory mean that picks 1-6 are all generational difference makers too.
But yes, I'm ok with trading down some too. There's tackles and Edges that will be available in the teens.
-
Beyond QB, not seeing that generational difference maker at 7. Still in favor of a trade down and multiple top 50 picks.
How many drafts have generational difference makers sitting at 7?
I mean, that would, in theory mean that picks 1-6 are all generational difference makers too.
But yes, I'm ok with trading down some too. There's tackles and Edges that will be available in the teens.
How many drafts have generational difference makers sitting at 7?
I mean, that would, in theory mean that picks 1-6 are all generational difference makers too.
But yes, I'm ok with trading down some too. There's tackles and Edges that will be available in the teens.
In the last 10 years?
Aaron Donald is a HoF in 2014
2016 Jalen Ramsey is a fringe HoF
2017 had Christian McCarffrey and even further down at 10, Patrick Mahomes.
2018 had Josh Allen and Lamar
2019 had Dexter Lawrence at #17
2020 had Justin Jefferson
2021... I'm already tired of counting.
I suppose what I'm saying is that there is a mix of franchise talent at 7 and elite multi-year talent.
So if what falls to #7 is just a "good-great" a trade down is ideal.
Of course the conversation is moot, the Brownies are #3 and looking at #1 overall should they drop this game vs Miami. Which is fantastic for a rebuild. I'd rather hold all the cards and maintain the possibility of a kings ransom of a trade for #1 than sit at 2-5.
-
How many drafts have generational difference makers sitting at 7?
I mean, that would, in theory mean that picks 1-6 are all generational difference makers too.
But yes, I'm ok with trading down some too. There's tackles and Edges that will be available in the teens.
In the last 10 years?
Aaron Donald is a HoF in 2014
2016 Jalen Ramsey is a fringe HoF
2017 had Christian McCarffrey and even further down at 10, Patrick Mahomes.
2018 had Josh Allen and Lamar
2019 had Dexter Lawrence at #17
2020 had Justin Jefferson
2021... I'm already tired of counting.
I suppose what I'm saying is that there is a mix of franchise talent at 7 and elite multi-year talent.
So if what falls to #7 is just a "good-great" a trade down is ideal.
Of course the conversation is moot, the Brownies are #3 and looking at #1 overall should they drop this game vs Miami. Which is fantastic for a rebuild. I'd rather hold all the cards and maintain the possibility of a kings ransom of a trade for #1 than sit at 2-5.
In the last 10 years?
Aaron Donald is a HoF in 2014
2016 Jalen Ramsey is a fringe HoF
2017 had Christian McCarffrey and even further down at 10, Patrick Mahomes.
2018 had Josh Allen and Lamar
2019 had Dexter Lawrence at #17
2020 had Justin Jefferson
2021... I'm already tired of counting.
I suppose what I'm saying is that there is a mix of franchise talent at 7 and elite multi-year talent.
So if what falls to #7 is just a "good-great" a trade down is ideal.
Of course the conversation is moot, the Brownies are #3 and looking at #1 overall should they drop this game vs Miami. Which is fantastic for a rebuild. I'd rather hold all the cards and maintain the possibility of a kings ransom of a trade for #1 than sit at 2-5.
I get that there has been fantastic players drafted at #7 or around, but my point was that if people knew those players were generational players, they wouldn't had made it to #7. But I get your point.
I guess I gave up the idea the Browns could end up at the top, now I'm afraid they'll just take Sanders and Ward instead of trading down and picking up extra picks. I'm just not real excited about either honestly.
-
Trust me Bob, there isn't a "draft guru" on this board.
You can never go wrong building a strong OLine and Front Seven on defense. I like your point of view regarding the coming draft.
Yes, all day jobs needed! I'd be sleeping under bridges if I had to peg QBs right for a living.
-
Well better than the dog houses we live in now for sure.?
That cost me a mouth full of cold beer you sick bastard.
-
In the last 10 years?
Aaron Donald is a HoF in 2014
2016 Jalen Ramsey is a fringe HoF
2017 had Christian McCarffrey and even further down at 10, Patrick Mahomes.
2018 had Josh Allen and Lamar
2019 had Dexter Lawrence at #17
2020 had Justin Jefferson
2021... I'm already tired of counting.
I suppose what I'm saying is that there is a mix of franchise talent at 7 and elite multi-year talent.
So if what falls to #7 is just a "good-great" a trade down is ideal.
Of course the conversation is moot, the Brownies are #3 and looking at #1 overall should they drop this game vs Miami. Which is fantastic for a rebuild. I'd rather hold all the cards and maintain the possibility of a kings ransom of a trade for #1 than sit at 2-5.
I get that there has been fantastic players drafted at #7 or around, but my point was that if people knew those players were generational players, they wouldn't had made it to #7. But I get your point.
I guess I gave up the idea the Browns could end up at the top, now I'm afraid they'll just take Sanders and Ward instead of trading down and picking up extra picks. I'm just not real excited about either honestly.
I get that there has been fantastic players drafted at #7 or around, but my point was that if people knew those players were generational players, they wouldn't had made it to #7. But I get your point.
I guess I gave up the idea the Browns could end up at the top, now I'm afraid they'll just take Sanders and Ward instead of trading down and picking up extra picks. I'm just not real excited about either honestly.
You know my thoughts on Sanders as a QB. It's everything else, including his Dad that comes along with it.
-
I get that there has been fantastic players drafted at #7 or around, but my point was that if people knew those players were generational players, they wouldn't had made it to #7. But I get your point.
I guess I gave up the idea the Browns could end up at the top, now I'm afraid they'll just take Sanders and Ward instead of trading down and picking up extra picks. I'm just not real excited about either honestly.
You know my thoughts on Sanders as a QB. It's everything else, including his Dad that comes along with it.
-
Tankathon currently has us holding the 3rd pick in the draft.
-
I get that there has been fantastic players drafted at #7 or around, but my point was that if people knew those players were generational players, they wouldn't had made it to #7. But I get your point.
I guess I gave up the idea the Browns could end up at the top, now I'm afraid they'll just take Sanders and Ward instead of trading down and picking up extra picks. I'm just not real excited about either honestly.
You know my thoughts on Sanders as a QB. It's everything else, including his Dad that comes along with it.
-
I hope we get the highest draft pick possible with the hope that Sanders or Ward is available when we are on the clock and some other team gets desperate and gives us a king's ransom to move up.
My fear is that Berry would take one of those guys to buy himself some time. "We have a rookie QB, so we need to be patient". I don't want the Sanders drama, and I'm not a real fan of Ward's game in the NFL.
If we were to take a QB, I'd prefer them looking at someone they could develop that actually fits Stefanski's offense, later in the draft. I'd still take a look at Carson Beck... see if his games translates well here and see why he struggled in the middle of this season so.
And taking a QB after the first round doesn't mean we couldn't target one in the following draft.
-
Georgia QB Carson Beck declares for NFL Draft.
It will be interesting to see where he goes. He just finished his 5th season in college football, but because of the COVID rules could have come back next year. His season ended with an elbow injury at the end of the first half of the SEC Championship Game vs Texas. Kiper has him as the 4th best QB in this draft.
Georgia QB Carson Beck declares for NFL Draft.
It will be interesting to see where he goes. He just finished his 5th season in college football, but because of the COVID rules could have come back next year. His season ended with an elbow injury at the end of the first half of the SEC Championship Game vs Texas. Kiper has him as the 4th best QB in this draft.
My worry is his tendency to turn the ball over BUT this Google snip makes me feel a little better - I think?
In 2023, Georgia quarterback Carson Beck threw six interceptions:-
2023 stats: Beck threw for 3,941 yards and 24 touchdowns
-
2024 stats: Beck threw for 3,485 yards and 28 touchdowns, but also 12 interceptions
Beck's struggles with turnovers in 2024 have been a surprise because he rarely turned the ball over during his first season as a starter.
-
2023 stats: Beck threw for 3,941 yards and 24 touchdowns
-
And I still like Drew Allar, warts and all... I'll definitely be watching him next season.
Remember who started pimpin' him on here first. ?
-
I hope we get the highest draft pick possible with the hope that Sanders or Ward is available when we are on the clock and some other team gets desperate and gives us a king's ransom to move up.
My fear is that Berry would take one of those guys to buy himself some time. "We have a rookie QB, so we need to be patient". I don't want the Sanders drama, and I'm not a real fan of Ward's game in the NFL.
If we were to take a QB, I'd prefer them looking at someone they could develop that actually fits Stefanski's offense, later in the draft. I'd still take a look at Carson Beck... see if his games translates well here and see why he struggled in the middle of this season so.
And taking a QB after the first round doesn't mean we couldn't target one in the following draft.
I hope we get the highest draft pick possible with the hope that Sanders or Ward is available when we are on the clock and some other team gets desperate and gives us a king's ransom to move up.
My fear is that Berry would take one of those guys to buy himself some time. "We have a rookie QB, so we need to be patient". I don't want the Sanders drama, and I'm not a real fan of Ward's game in the NFL.
If we were to take a QB, I'd prefer them looking at someone they could develop that actually fits Stefanski's offense, later in the draft. I'd still take a look at Carson Beck... see if his games translates well here and see why he struggled in the middle of this season so.
And taking a QB after the first round doesn't mean we couldn't target one in the following draft.
My worry is his tendency to turn the ball over BUT this Google snip makes me feel a little better - I think?
In 2023, Georgia quarterback Carson Beck threw six interceptions:-
2023 stats: Beck threw for 3,941 yards and 24 touchdowns
-
2024 stats: Beck threw for 3,485 yards and 28 touchdowns, but also 12 interceptions
I'll be a parrot: I think Beck 2nd or later is a good risk reward. Georgia receivers couldn't catch, couldn't separate, and the o line was a bit shaky. I'm sure you start seeing ghosts and make mistakes.
-
2023 stats: Beck threw for 3,941 yards and 24 touchdowns
-
I hope we get the highest draft pick possible with the hope that Sanders or Ward is available when we are on the clock and some other team gets desperate and gives us a king's ransom to move up.
My fear is that Berry would take one of those guys to buy himself some time. "We have a rookie QB, so we need to be patient". I don't want the Sanders drama, and I'm not a real fan of Ward's game in the NFL.
If we were to take a QB, I'd prefer them looking at someone they could develop that actually fits Stefanski's offense, later in the draft. I'd still take a look at Carson Beck... see if his games translates well here and see why he struggled in the middle of this season so.
And taking a QB after the first round doesn't mean we couldn't target one in the following draft.
My worry is his tendency to turn the ball over BUT this Google snip makes me feel a little better - I think?
In 2023, Georgia quarterback Carson Beck threw six interceptions:-
2023 stats: Beck threw for 3,941 yards and 24 touchdowns
-
2024 stats: Beck threw for 3,485 yards and 28 touchdowns, but also 12 interceptions
I'll be a parrot: I think Beck 2nd or later is a good risk reward. Georgia receivers couldn't catch, couldn't separate, and the o line was a bit shaky. I'm sure you start seeing ghosts and make mistakes.
I'll be a parrot: I think Beck 2nd or later is a good risk reward. Georgia receivers couldn't catch, couldn't separate, and the o line was a bit shaky. I'm sure you start seeing ghosts and make mistakes.
And here's the thing: if a QB didn't have weaknesses, they'd be at the top of the first round.
I want a QB that Stefanski can work with. A QB who he feels can work well in his system. I don't want any more DTRs. I want QBs who can work well in the pocket, can work under the center, who can eventually read defenses and go through progressions. I don't want athletic RPO guys who don't fit with Stefanski.
I want the Browns to go back to Stefanski's offense. Draft some OLinemen, draft a TE to go with Njoku and run the damn ball and do play-action off that. Find a QB that can thrive in that system. Stefanski's ability to produce points in that system got him the job in the first place. Scrap the RPO.
-
2023 stats: Beck threw for 3,941 yards and 24 touchdowns
-
I'll be a parrot: I think Beck 2nd or later is a good risk reward. Georgia receivers couldn't catch, couldn't separate, and the o line was a bit shaky. I'm sure you start seeing ghosts and make mistakes.
And here's the thing: if a QB didn't have weaknesses, they'd be at the top of the first round.
I want a QB that Stefanski can work with. A QB who he feels can work well in his system. I don't want any more DTRs. I want QBs who can work well in the pocket, can work under the center, who can eventually read defenses and go through progressions. I don't want athletic RPO guys who don't fit with Stefanski.
I want the Browns to go back to Stefanski's offense. Draft some OLinemen, draft a TE to go with Njoku and run the damn ball and do play-action off that. Find a QB that can thrive in that system. Stefanski's ability to produce points in that system got him the job in the first place. Scrap the RPO.
And here's the thing: if a QB didn't have weaknesses, they'd be at the top of the first round.
I want a QB that Stefanski can work with. A QB who he feels can work well in his system. I don't want any more DTRs. I want QBs who can work well in the pocket, can work under the center, who can eventually read defenses and go through progressions. I don't want athletic RPO guys who don't fit with Stefanski.
I want the Browns to go back to Stefanski's offense. Draft some OLinemen, draft a TE to go with Njoku and run the damn ball and do play-action off that. Find a QB that can thrive in that system. Stefanski's ability to produce points in that system got him the job in the first place. Scrap the RPO.
I love three OT or three TE sets, pre-snap motions, OTs kicking out blocks on run, RBs catching the ball out of the backfired, running the ball so damn much that play action actually works.
The 49ers have dominated the NFC doing all of this the last half decade and now the Lions do the same thing.
-
I'd take Beck over Milroe... Milroe should have sat this one out.
-
Say, could the Browns draft Allar, even though he won't be in the draft til 2026? lol
I'm not a fan of Beck.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login