Skip to content

Browns new O.C

The Browns Board
75 12 1.8k
  • @syd said:

    He runs really fast.  And he can hit those wide open receivers.

    @orion said:

    He runs really fast.  And he can hit those wide open receivers.

    so your thinking 4th or 5th round ?

  • sydS syd

    @orion said:

    He runs really fast.  And he can hit those wide open receivers.

    so your thinking 4th or 5th round ?

    @syd said:

    so your thinking 4th or 5th round ?

    Because of the weakness of the QB class he may go towards the end of round 1 or top of round 2.  In a strong QB draft he might be 3rd round.  But like I say all the time, QB's are not graded like the rest of the players.  They're graded on a curve because of the incredible value of the QB position.  A team in our position, that doesn't have a decent QB, is totally fucked!  

    If we lost Myles to injury for an extended chunk of time, we wouldn't be as good a team...but we wouldn't be totally fucked.

  • @syd said:

    so your thinking 4th or 5th round ?

    Because of the weakness of the QB class he may go towards the end of round 1 or top of round 2.  In a strong QB draft he might be 3rd round.  But like I say all the time, QB's are not graded like the rest of the players.  They're graded on a curve because of the incredible value of the QB position.  A team in our position, that doesn't have a decent QB, is totally fucked!  

    If we lost Myles to injury for an extended chunk of time, we wouldn't be as good a team...but we wouldn't be totally fucked.

    @orion said:

    Because of the weakness of the QB class he may go towards the end of round 1 or top of round 2.  In a strong QB draft he might be 3rd round.  But like I say all the time, QB's are not graded like the rest of the players.  They're graded on a curve because of the incredible value of the QB position.  A team in our position, that doesn't have a decent QB, is totally fucked!  

    If we lost Myles to injury for an extended chunk of time, we wouldn't be as good a team...but we wouldn't be totally fucked.

    Milroe isn't going 1st round unless it's a Tim Tebow level of obsession/mistake.  

    There is  something I call "coaching arrogance"... That leads these guys to draft in the manner they do.  Speaking of Tebow, McDaniels had it.    Hue, with RG3, absolutely had it.   Believing you can take a lesser talent and magically turn him into something more through your "decided schematic advantage", which is usually anything but.  

    Tommy Rees is a fast riser in the coaching ranks, and those above him have good things to say.  But like Pete Carroll, let's hope there is a degree of nuance and self-honesty when identifying talent and building your roster. 

  • @orion said:

    Because of the weakness of the QB class he may go towards the end of round 1 or top of round 2.  In a strong QB draft he might be 3rd round.  But like I say all the time, QB's are not graded like the rest of the players.  They're graded on a curve because of the incredible value of the QB position.  A team in our position, that doesn't have a decent QB, is totally fucked!  

    If we lost Myles to injury for an extended chunk of time, we wouldn't be as good a team...but we wouldn't be totally fucked.

    Milroe isn't going 1st round unless it's a Tim Tebow level of obsession/mistake.  

    There is  something I call "coaching arrogance"... That leads these guys to draft in the manner they do.  Speaking of Tebow, McDaniels had it.    Hue, with RG3, absolutely had it.   Believing you can take a lesser talent and magically turn him into something more through your "decided schematic advantage", which is usually anything but.  

    Tommy Rees is a fast riser in the coaching ranks, and those above him have good things to say.  But like Pete Carroll, let's hope there is a degree of nuance and self-honesty when identifying talent and building your roster. 

    @tiamat63 said:

    Milroe isn't going 1st round unless it's a Tim Tebow level of obsession/mistake. 

    ...but that's what not having a QB does to ya!  Without a QB, FA talent looking for a chance at a super bowl will not come to you.  (you'd have to bribe them)  Your team takes on the moniker of 'also ran'.  (some owners do not like that)  During this offseason leading up to the draft we'll see QB's slowly but methodically, march up the draft boards.  As if they're willing them to be good and help their team.  

  • @orion said:

    Because of the weakness of the QB class he may go towards the end of round 1 or top of round 2.  In a strong QB draft he might be 3rd round.  But like I say all the time, QB's are not graded like the rest of the players.  They're graded on a curve because of the incredible value of the QB position.  A team in our position, that doesn't have a decent QB, is totally fucked!  

    If we lost Myles to injury for an extended chunk of time, we wouldn't be as good a team...but we wouldn't be totally fucked.

    Milroe isn't going 1st round unless it's a Tim Tebow level of obsession/mistake.  

    There is  something I call "coaching arrogance"... That leads these guys to draft in the manner they do.  Speaking of Tebow, McDaniels had it.    Hue, with RG3, absolutely had it.   Believing you can take a lesser talent and magically turn him into something more through your "decided schematic advantage", which is usually anything but.  

    Tommy Rees is a fast riser in the coaching ranks, and those above him have good things to say.  But like Pete Carroll, let's hope there is a degree of nuance and self-honesty when identifying talent and building your roster. 

    @tiamat63 said:

    Milroe isn't going 1st round unless it's a Tim Tebow level of obsession/mistake.  

    Tommy Rees is a fast riser in the coaching ranks, and those above him have good things to say.  But like Pete Carroll, let's hope there is a degree of nuance and self-honesty when identifying talent and building your roster. 

    Remember that Milroe had his best season (2023) while Rees was there working with him.  And now Rees is our OC.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Milroe isn't going 1st round unless it's a Tim Tebow level of obsession/mistake.  

    Tommy Rees is a fast riser in the coaching ranks, and those above him have good things to say.  But like Pete Carroll, let's hope there is a degree of nuance and self-honesty when identifying talent and building your roster. 

    Remember that Milroe had his best season (2023) while Rees was there working with him.  And now Rees is our OC.

    @orion said:

    Remember that Milroe had his best season (2023) while Rees was there working with him.  And now Rees is our OC.

    I'm aware.  

  • @orion said:

    Remember that Milroe had his best season (2023) while Rees was there working with him.  And now Rees is our OC.

    I'm aware.  

    @tiamat63 said:

    I'm aware.  

    Walter Football projects him from rounds 1-3.  If I were a better, I'd say that if we didn't pick a QB at #2, and he's there for the 1st pick on Friday, we take him.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    I'm aware.  

    Walter Football projects him from rounds 1-3.  If I were a better, I'd say that if we didn't pick a QB at #2, and he's there for the 1st pick on Friday, we take him.

    @orion said:

    Walter Football projects him from rounds 1-3.  If I were a better, I'd say that if we didn't pick a QB at #2, and he's there for the 1st pick on Friday, we take him.

    Milroe would be a bad fit with Stefanski, so I sincerely hope not. 

  • @orion said:

    Walter Football projects him from rounds 1-3.  If I were a better, I'd say that if we didn't pick a QB at #2, and he's there for the 1st pick on Friday, we take him.

    Milroe would be a bad fit with Stefanski, so I sincerely hope not. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Milroe would be a bad fit with Stefanski, so I sincerely hope not. 

    But is he a bad fit with the OC?

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Milroe would be a bad fit with Stefanski, so I sincerely hope not. 

    But is he a bad fit with the OC?

    @orion said:

    But is he a bad fit with the OC?

    My guess is that the Browns are going back to Stefanski's offense, and that Rees will learn it. 

    I can't imagine Rees will be calling plays either. 

  • He will be looking for a job (with the rest of the staff) after this season. 

  • It’s no secret that the Cleveland Browns have a major obstacle to overcome this offseason, and that’s figuring out their quarterback room for 2025 and beyond.

    Currently, Cleveland's best plan here might be to acquire a veteran QB via free agency or the trade market in 2025 to be a “bridge” quarterback while a rookie sits and learns.

    If the team does decide to pursue this strategy, one player in particular makes a lot of sense for the organization if he makes it to the second round (No.33) of the 2025 NFL Draft:

    Alabama dual-threat QB Jalen Milroe.

    Newly promoted Browns OC Tommy Rees coached him in 2023 and the duo led the Crimson Tide to a 12-2 record and a 6th place Heisman-voting finish for Milroe.

    Milroe’s athleticism and ability to run the ball is Lamar Jackson-esque but his overall anticipation as a passer must improve before he sees significant playing time at the NFL level.

    Despite not being a “traditional” Kevin Stefanski-type of quarterback, Rees’ experience with Milroe and Stefanski’s propensity for the run game and being open to getting the quarterback involved in it might be fairly enticing as a day two pick.

    A good amount of the hesitation and weaknesses being discussed about Milroe are the same things that gave teams and fans pause concerning Lamar Jackson in the 2018 NFL Draft cycle.

  • It’s no secret that the Cleveland Browns have a major obstacle to overcome this offseason, and that’s figuring out their quarterback room for 2025 and beyond.

    Currently, Cleveland's best plan here might be to acquire a veteran QB via free agency or the trade market in 2025 to be a “bridge” quarterback while a rookie sits and learns.

    If the team does decide to pursue this strategy, one player in particular makes a lot of sense for the organization if he makes it to the second round (No.33) of the 2025 NFL Draft:

    Alabama dual-threat QB Jalen Milroe.

    Newly promoted Browns OC Tommy Rees coached him in 2023 and the duo led the Crimson Tide to a 12-2 record and a 6th place Heisman-voting finish for Milroe.

    Milroe’s athleticism and ability to run the ball is Lamar Jackson-esque but his overall anticipation as a passer must improve before he sees significant playing time at the NFL level.

    Despite not being a “traditional” Kevin Stefanski-type of quarterback, Rees’ experience with Milroe and Stefanski’s propensity for the run game and being open to getting the quarterback involved in it might be fairly enticing as a day two pick.

    A good amount of the hesitation and weaknesses being discussed about Milroe are the same things that gave teams and fans pause concerning Lamar Jackson in the 2018 NFL Draft cycle.

    @orion said:

    as a day two pick.

    then why not Will Howard ?

  • @orion said:

    Walter Football projects him from rounds 1-3.  If I were a better, I'd say that if we didn't pick a QB at #2, and he's there for the 1st pick on Friday, we take him.

    Milroe would be a bad fit with Stefanski, so I sincerely hope not. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Milroe would be a bad fit with Stefanski, so I sincerely hope not. 

    @orion said:

    But is he a bad fit with the OC?

     In terms of having a plus athlete running an outside zone from under center... That can only benefit said athlete.  This is similar to how the Niners viewed Trey Lance's legs being in Shanny's system. 

     Downside, the lack of consistent and competent passing ability with Lance. 

     A mobile passer would make life a living hell on backside pursuit first AND second level in that sort of offense. 

    I've seen Milroe's name floated for #33.  1st pick of day 2, I suppose I'll ask a question - beyond his athletic ability, in a post-Vick NFL, does Milroe appear any more capable mentally and physically than Deshone Kizer who was taken at that same spot? 

  • sydS syd

    @orion said:

    as a day two pick.

    then why not Will Howard ?

    @syd said:

    then why not Will Howard ?

    Will Howard is a Day 3 guy. 

  • @syd said:

    then why not Will Howard ?

    Will Howard is a Day 3 guy. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Will Howard is a Day 3 guy. 

  • @syd said:

    Kevin Stefanski to Call Plays

    From the playbook of him and Rees?   Or from DePo's analytics playbook?

  • @syd said:

    Kevin Stefanski to Call Plays

    From the playbook of him and Rees?   Or from DePo's analytics playbook?

    @orion said:

    From the playbook of him and Rees?   Or from DePo's analytics playbook?

    Bingo....winner, winner chicken dinner.

  • "I'm going to call plays, and I reserve the right to change my mind," Stefanski said.

    Translation: I'll start the season calling the plays. If our offense sucks, I'll have Rees start calling the plays by mid-season so he can be the scapegoat.