Skip to content

Position Groups of Need

The Browns Board
103 14 3.1k
  • @flugel said:

      He's definitely showing some goodies in the skillset.

     Easy there, Ciara. 

     That said, kid has a nice touch on the throws outside the number. Nose of the ball has a decent that drops into the bucket for his receivers. 

     Not a fan of medical school players, but a day 3 look couldn't hurt anyone.  I have a 12 day stretch off coming up, so I'll get back to you and get several of my pieces posted in that time frame.  Along with a deeper look at Schuck. 

     @texasag1969 haven't forgotten about Stewart. I'm 3 games in and, SHOCKER, DJs hype doesn't even come close to matching his production.  Which includes either significant body composition changes or a position change at the next level.   But More on that later.   

     My wager of him not being a first round player still stands. 

    @tiamat63 said:

     Easy there, Ciara. 

     That said, kid has a nice touch on the throws outside the number. Nose of the ball has a decent that drops into the bucket for his receivers. 

     Not a fan of medical school players, but a day 3 look couldn't hurt anyone.  I have a 12 day stretch off coming up, so I'll get back to you and get several of my pieces posted in that time frame.  Along with a deeper look at Schuck. ?

     @texasag1969 haven't forgotten about Stewart. I'm 3 games in and, SHOCKER, DJs hype doesn't even come close to matching his production.  Which includes either significant body composition changes or a position change at the next level.   But More on that later.   

     My wager of him not being a first round player still stands. 

    And there is now an article on PackersWire that says he may have just Combine tested himself out of still being there at their #23 spot and maybe into the top 10. Up there with Garrett's performance, but beat him by .05 in the 40 and one inch short of Garrett's 41" vert, 3 inches further in the broad jump. About the same height and 5 lbs lighter. Sure smells like a sub for me. I'll get you a consolation beer.???

  • @tiamat63 said:

     Easy there, Ciara. 

     That said, kid has a nice touch on the throws outside the number. Nose of the ball has a decent that drops into the bucket for his receivers. 

     Not a fan of medical school players, but a day 3 look couldn't hurt anyone.  I have a 12 day stretch off coming up, so I'll get back to you and get several of my pieces posted in that time frame.  Along with a deeper look at Schuck. ?

     @texasag1969 haven't forgotten about Stewart. I'm 3 games in and, SHOCKER, DJs hype doesn't even come close to matching his production.  Which includes either significant body composition changes or a position change at the next level.   But More on that later.   

     My wager of him not being a first round player still stands. 

    And there is now an article on PackersWire that says he may have just Combine tested himself out of still being there at their #23 spot and maybe into the top 10. Up there with Garrett's performance, but beat him by .05 in the 40 and one inch short of Garrett's 41" vert, 3 inches further in the broad jump. About the same height and 5 lbs lighter. Sure smells like a sub for me. I'll get you a consolation beer.???

    @texasag1969 said:

    And there is now an article on PackersWire that says he may have just Combine tested himself out of still being there at their #23 spot and maybe into the top 10. Up there with Garrett's performance, but beat him by .05 in the 40 and one inch short of Garrett's 41" vert, 3 inches further in the broad jump. About the same height and 5 lbs lighter. Sure smells like a sub for me. I'll get you a consolation beer.???

    I'm more than aware bubs, it's sort of my thing.    The straight line speed shows up on film, I won't argue against that.  

    The sub 5.11 model does tend to show improvement in our SPS ratings, which we're working hard to collect.  

    See.... here..

    https://brainyballers.com/defensive-end-40-yard-dash-times-do-they-matter-a-comprehensive-analysis/

    The athletic ability isn't in question and never was.     Or to sum up one of my comments on a youtube video of Stewarts; 

    "Day 1 measurables...

    day 3 production". 

    edit: Stewart isn't in the same galaxy as Myles at edge.  

  • 4.5 sacks in three seasons for Stewart 

  • @texasag1969 said:

    And there is now an article on PackersWire that says he may have just Combine tested himself out of still being there at their #23 spot and maybe into the top 10. Up there with Garrett's performance, but beat him by .05 in the 40 and one inch short of Garrett's 41" vert, 3 inches further in the broad jump. About the same height and 5 lbs lighter. Sure smells like a sub for me. I'll get you a consolation beer.???

    I'm more than aware bubs, it's sort of my thing.    The straight line speed shows up on film, I won't argue against that.  

    The sub 5.11 model does tend to show improvement in our SPS ratings, which we're working hard to collect.  

    See.... here..

    https://brainyballers.com/defensive-end-40-yard-dash-times-do-they-matter-a-comprehensive-analysis/

    The athletic ability isn't in question and never was.     Or to sum up one of my comments on a youtube video of Stewarts; 

    "Day 1 measurables...

    day 3 production". 

    edit: Stewart isn't in the same galaxy as Myles at edge.  

    @tiamat63 said:

    edit: Stewart isn't in the same galaxy as Myles at edge.  

    And there we agree. But good enough for a good DL coach to want to take him first round and turn him into something special. And Nic Scourton I think is the better of the two at this point.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    edit: Stewart isn't in the same galaxy as Myles at edge.  

    And there we agree. But good enough for a good DL coach to want to take him first round and turn him into something special. And Nic Scourton I think is the better of the two at this point.

    @texasag1969 said:

    And there we agree. But good enough for a good DL coach to want to take him first round and turn him into something special. And Nic Scourton I think is the better of the two at this point.

    If you're not in the same galaxy as Myles, yet you're claiming he has better measurables and is a top 10 pick....  something doesn't add up.  That's a complete contradiction.  

  • @texasag1969 said:

    And there we agree. But good enough for a good DL coach to want to take him first round and turn him into something special. And Nic Scourton I think is the better of the two at this point.

    If you're not in the same galaxy as Myles, yet you're claiming he has better measurables and is a top 10 pick....  something doesn't add up.  That's a complete contradiction.  

    @tiamat63 said:

    If you're not in the same galaxy as Myles, yet you're claiming he has better measurables and is a top 10 pick....  something doesn't add up.  That's a complete contradiction.  

    Actually I said PackerWire thinks he is a top 10 pick. I just think he is a first round pick, but have no idea when or who will take him there. To me there are at least 3 other edge players going before him. Packers still have the shot @ #28 IMO.

  • 4.5 sacks in three seasons for Stewart 

    @dutch-oven said:

    4.5 sacks in three seasons for Stewart 

    We can get that by accident from others.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    4.5 sacks in three seasons for Stewart 

    We can get that by accident from others.

    @flugel said:

    We can get that by accident from others.

    And the other end had 5 sacks this year. One thing little noticed by most is that the glue that put together and held together such a great bunch of DLs, DL coach Terry Price, died just before the start of the 2023 season. They just did not play the same nor were they able to retain more than half of those guys when that season ended. It was a real tragedy for all involved. Which is why I think some really good coaching can bring out the best in several going pro. Those transferring played better where they went including Fadil Diggs (Syracuse) and Walter Nolen (Ole Miss).

  • @tiamat63 said:

    If you're not in the same galaxy as Myles, yet you're claiming he has better measurables and is a top 10 pick....  something doesn't add up.  That's a complete contradiction.  

    Actually I said PackerWire thinks he is a top 10 pick. I just think he is a first round pick, but have no idea when or who will take him there. To me there are at least 3 other edge players going before him. Packers still have the shot @ #28 IMO.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Actually I said PackerWire thinks he is a top 10 pick. I just think he is a first round pick, but have no idea when or who will take him there. To me there are at least 3 other edge players going before him. Packers still have the shot @ #28 IMO.

     Ohhhh... those "wire" sites (insert X team with the word Wire behind it) are about as cookie cutter as it gets.  

    Stewart has great measurables, but as an example I literally just used with @flugel - Xavier Cooper was insanely quick for a man his size.  He's one of the worst IDL picks the Browns have made in a long time.  He couldn't take the athletic ability and build a fundamental football technique base to it in the amount of time before the Browns had to make business decisions.  It's a constant race against the clock.   

     If coaches in the NFL want to take a raw, athletic product and try to transform him in 3 years, be my guest.   Speaking of the Packers, they tried the same thing with Lukas Van Ness and he hasn't been what they were envisioning at all.  He has struggled a lot throughout his time in the NFL because he was a great athlete, but without being a sound football player first.

     Also, and keep this in mind, part of my assessment in saying that Stewart isn't going to be a 1st round pick also means that I believe whatever team *might* make the investment will regret paying that steep of a price in 3 seasons.   So let's say the Pack takes him a 28.  You'll feel affirmed in your happiness for another Aggie.  If he flames out in 3 years, I'll be more affirmed in that my evaluations overwhelmingly (70+% by the numbers) stand the test of time and that the hype was once again not done justice.   

    edit:   I also think Stewart ends up as a much better fit playing IDL in odd fronts.  His A&M film really seems to show that as well.  When he's along a 3-4 tech, he can use his quickness and strength to just shoot into gaps.   What he does when he's in the gap isn't good, and he isn't a finisher in the least.   But at the minimum his opening is heroic.  

  • Well @flugel, the Browns talked to your boy Kyle McCord! 

  • Well @flugel, the Browns talked to your boy Kyle McCord! 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Well @flugel, the Browns talked to your boy Kyle McCord! 

    Hopefully they didn't already tell him to get out of their way Dutch.  They might need this mid-late round stash after they blow the 2nd overall pick on an edge rusher with 2 injuries + Rosenhaus.  Kyle was much improved last year IMO without the surrounding talent he had with the Buckeyes.  Winning 10 games in Syracuse (especially with that defense) is like walking on water in front of their fans. They believe.  That doesn't mean I can successfully predict what ANY rookie QB can do without a running game or pass protection in Cleveland. 

    Having said all that, my recent change of mind has me thinking we need to take Sanders at #2. That's about as confident as I can be about anybody right now aside from Travis Hunter who says he's not just a WR & CB.  He added he can also return punts and kickoffs as well as punt and place kick.  If we trade back, there's a Safety Nick Emmanwori that's 6'3" at 220 pounds out of South Carolina that just ran a 4.4 and 4.38 unofficially that I'm very interested in as well as the best LT remaining for the extra 1st round pick gained.  That wouldn't suck at all.  That's where guys like Kyle McCord, Will Howard, Tyler Shough and even Lincoln Riley come into play as later possibilities. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Well @flugel, the Browns talked to your boy Kyle McCord! 

    Hopefully they didn't already tell him to get out of their way Dutch.  They might need this mid-late round stash after they blow the 2nd overall pick on an edge rusher with 2 injuries + Rosenhaus.  Kyle was much improved last year IMO without the surrounding talent he had with the Buckeyes.  Winning 10 games in Syracuse (especially with that defense) is like walking on water in front of their fans. They believe.  That doesn't mean I can successfully predict what ANY rookie QB can do without a running game or pass protection in Cleveland. 

    Having said all that, my recent change of mind has me thinking we need to take Sanders at #2. That's about as confident as I can be about anybody right now aside from Travis Hunter who says he's not just a WR & CB.  He added he can also return punts and kickoffs as well as punt and place kick.  If we trade back, there's a Safety Nick Emmanwori that's 6'3" at 220 pounds out of South Carolina that just ran a 4.4 and 4.38 unofficially that I'm very interested in as well as the best LT remaining for the extra 1st round pick gained.  That wouldn't suck at all.  That's where guys like Kyle McCord, Will Howard, Tyler Shough and even Lincoln Riley come into play as later possibilities. 

    @flugel said:

    Hopefully they didn't already tell him to get out of their way Dutch.  They might need this mid-late round stash after they blow the 2nd overall pick on an edge rusher with 2 injuries + Rosenhaus.  Kyle was much improved last year IMO without the surrounding talent he had with the Buckeyes.  Winning 10 games in Syracuse (especially with that defense) is like walking on water in front of their fans. They believe.  That doesn't mean I can successfully predict what ANY rookie QB can do without a running game or pass protection in Cleveland. 

    I don't know if I would call drafting Abdul Carter "blowing the pick", but news of another injury definitely has cooled my engines regarding taking him #2 overall. Regarding McCord, I'd be ok I suppose if they took a 4th rounder on him if they think he could be a good fit in Stefanski's offense. I don't think he's a future NFL starter, but the Browns QB room needs completely rebuilt, and getting someone who can be a good, dependable backup is something I'd like to see.

    Having said all that, my recent change of mind has me thinking we need to take Sanders at #2. That's about as confident as I can be about anybody right now aside from Travis Hunter who says he's not just a WR & CB.  He added he can also return punts and kickoffs as well as punt and place kick.  If we trade back, there's a Safety Nick Emmanwori that's 6'3" at 220 pounds out of South Carolina that just ran a 4.4 and 4.38 unofficially that I'm very interested in as well as the best LT remaining for the extra 1st round pick gained.  That wouldn't suck at all.  That's where guys like Kyle McCord, Will Howard, Tyler Shough and even Lincoln Riley come into play as later possibilities.

    Drafting the head coach of the USC Trojans would be a bold move, Cotton. ?

    The Browns love to draft defensive backs, so Hunter definitely should be considered at #2, or trade down and take WIll Johnson from TCUN.  You know me, I'll never be upset if they invest in the OLine or DLine either. 

  • @flugel said:

    Hopefully they didn't already tell him to get out of their way Dutch.  They might need this mid-late round stash after they blow the 2nd overall pick on an edge rusher with 2 injuries + Rosenhaus.  Kyle was much improved last year IMO without the surrounding talent he had with the Buckeyes.  Winning 10 games in Syracuse (especially with that defense) is like walking on water in front of their fans. They believe.  That doesn't mean I can successfully predict what ANY rookie QB can do without a running game or pass protection in Cleveland. 

    I don't know if I would call drafting Abdul Carter "blowing the pick", but news of another injury definitely has cooled my engines regarding taking him #2 overall. Regarding McCord, I'd be ok I suppose if they took a 4th rounder on him if they think he could be a good fit in Stefanski's offense. I don't think he's a future NFL starter, but the Browns QB room needs completely rebuilt, and getting someone who can be a good, dependable backup is something I'd like to see.

    Having said all that, my recent change of mind has me thinking we need to take Sanders at #2. That's about as confident as I can be about anybody right now aside from Travis Hunter who says he's not just a WR & CB.  He added he can also return punts and kickoffs as well as punt and place kick.  If we trade back, there's a Safety Nick Emmanwori that's 6'3" at 220 pounds out of South Carolina that just ran a 4.4 and 4.38 unofficially that I'm very interested in as well as the best LT remaining for the extra 1st round pick gained.  That wouldn't suck at all.  That's where guys like Kyle McCord, Will Howard, Tyler Shough and even Lincoln Riley come into play as later possibilities.

    Drafting the head coach of the USC Trojans would be a bold move, Cotton. ?

    The Browns love to draft defensive backs, so Hunter definitely should be considered at #2, or trade down and take WIll Johnson from TCUN.  You know me, I'll never be upset if they invest in the OLine or DLine either. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Nice job with that!  Don't worry I'll take full credit if Carter is a star.  Sometimes my words are delicious to eat if I add hot sauce.  I'm not one of those guys that hides from my predictions. 

    After I WOKE one morning - I had to remind someone I was one of the guys that wanted us to draft Baker and cheered for him to succeed with every single start here.  That same someone used to try to show us at every opportunity that his Josh Allen was really outplaying Baker while there weren't any issues with immaturity from his QB. But guess who roots for Baker now that he's on another team?  ?  

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Nice job with that!  Don't worry I'll take full credit if Carter is a star.  Sometimes my words are delicious to eat if I add hot sauce.  I'm not one of those guys that hides from my predictions. 

    After I WOKE one morning - I had to remind someone I was one of the guys that wanted us to draft Baker and cheered for him to succeed with every single start here.  That same someone used to try to show us at every opportunity that his Josh Allen was really outplaying Baker while there weren't any issues with immaturity from his QB. But guess who roots for Baker now that he's on another team?  ?  

    @flugel said:

    After I WOKE one morning - I had to remind someone I was one of the guys that wanted us to draft Baker and cheered for him to succeed with every single start here.  That same someone used to try to show us at every opportunity that his Josh Allen was really outplaying Baker while there weren't any issues with immaturity from his QB. But guess who roots for Baker now that he's on another team?  ?  

    The same guy who gets his news straight from the Kremlin? ?

  • Flugel Said -  my recent change of mind has me thinking we need to take Sanders at #2

    Welcome to the club.  To me, every year that you go without your 'supposed?, anticipated?', QB of the future, is another wasted year.  

  • Flugel Said -  my recent change of mind has me thinking we need to take Sanders at #2

    Welcome to the club.  To me, every year that you go without your 'supposed?, anticipated?', QB of the future, is another wasted year.  

    @orion said:

    Welcome to the club.  To me, every year that you go without your 'supposed?, anticipated?', QB of the future, is another wasted year.  

    I'm not joining you in any club.

    You want this to happen, I think this will happen.

    Big difference. 

    That "quote" on your post is actually what Flugel wrote. My response was in bold. 

  • @flugel said:

    Hopefully they didn't already tell him to get out of their way Dutch.  They might need this mid-late round stash after they blow the 2nd overall pick on an edge rusher with 2 injuries + Rosenhaus.  Kyle was much improved last year IMO without the surrounding talent he had with the Buckeyes.  Winning 10 games in Syracuse (especially with that defense) is like walking on water in front of their fans. They believe.  That doesn't mean I can successfully predict what ANY rookie QB can do without a running game or pass protection in Cleveland. 

    I don't know if I would call drafting Abdul Carter "blowing the pick", but news of another injury definitely has cooled my engines regarding taking him #2 overall. Regarding McCord, I'd be ok I suppose if they took a 4th rounder on him if they think he could be a good fit in Stefanski's offense. I don't think he's a future NFL starter, but the Browns QB room needs completely rebuilt, and getting someone who can be a good, dependable backup is something I'd like to see.

    Having said all that, my recent change of mind has me thinking we need to take Sanders at #2. That's about as confident as I can be about anybody right now aside from Travis Hunter who says he's not just a WR & CB.  He added he can also return punts and kickoffs as well as punt and place kick.  If we trade back, there's a Safety Nick Emmanwori that's 6'3" at 220 pounds out of South Carolina that just ran a 4.4 and 4.38 unofficially that I'm very interested in as well as the best LT remaining for the extra 1st round pick gained.  That wouldn't suck at all.  That's where guys like Kyle McCord, Will Howard, Tyler Shough and even Lincoln Riley come into play as later possibilities.

    Drafting the head coach of the USC Trojans would be a bold move, Cotton. ?

    The Browns love to draft defensive backs, so Hunter definitely should be considered at #2, or trade down and take WIll Johnson from TCUN.  You know me, I'll never be upset if they invest in the OLine or DLine either. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    I meant Riley Leonard, but wrote Lincoln Riley.  My bad.

  • @orion said:

    Welcome to the club.  To me, every year that you go without your 'supposed?, anticipated?', QB of the future, is another wasted year.  

    I'm not joining you in any club.

    You want this to happen, I think this will happen.

    Big difference. 

    That "quote" on your post is actually what Flugel wrote. My response was in bold. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    I'm not joining you in any club.

    You want this to happen, I think this will happen.

    Big difference. 

    That "quote" on your post is actually what Flugel wrote. My response was in bold. 

    Sorry....and while I was reading 'your' response I told myself, Now make sure you go up to Flugel's post to quote after reading this.  AND, of course I didn't.  🙂  

    I changed it to 'Flugel said'.    And [old joke] ...I wouldn't join any club that had me in it either.  🙂  

    ..............  But I did expect you to reply to my statement of 'wasted year'.   

  • @orion said:

    Welcome to the club.  To me, every year that you go without your 'supposed?, anticipated?', QB of the future, is another wasted year.  

    I'm not joining you in any club.

    You want this to happen, I think this will happen.

    Big difference. 

    That "quote" on your post is actually what Flugel wrote. My response was in bold. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    I'm not joining you in any club.

    You want this to happen, I think this will happen.

    Big difference. 

    That "quote" on your post is actually what Flugel wrote. My response was in bold. 

    Understood.  The biggest thing that prevented me from saying exactly what you said is the team drafting 1st has their ideal opportunity to draft their version of the best QB in a draft class.  During poker season, you're gonna hear they can't tell the difference between Sanders and Ward - but I think they can.  I'd prefer Sanders but I think TN does too.  That's why you see me naming other QBs to think about.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I'm not joining you in any club.

    You want this to happen, I think this will happen.

    Big difference. 

    That "quote" on your post is actually what Flugel wrote. My response was in bold. 

    Sorry....and while I was reading 'your' response I told myself, Now make sure you go up to Flugel's post to quote after reading this.  AND, of course I didn't.  🙂  

    I changed it to 'Flugel said'.    And [old joke] ...I wouldn't join any club that had me in it either.  🙂  

    ..............  But I did expect you to reply to my statement of 'wasted year'.   

    @orion said:

    Sorry....and while I was reading 'your' response I told myself, Now make sure you go up to Flugel's post to quote after reading this.  AND, of course I didn't.  🙂  

    I changed it to 'Flugel said'.    And [old joke] ...I wouldn't join any club that had me in it either.  🙂  

    ..............  But I did expect you to reply to my statement of 'wasted year'.   

    No biggie, just mentioned it for the sake of accuracy.

    You might be very correct that taking Sanders is the smart move, I just see a QB with across the board mediocre physical measurables. Decent arm, decent size, decent athleticism, but some good intangibles that might fit well with Stefanski.

    I just think he's a reach at #2. I think we'd use a super high pick on another QB with a decent floor but limited ceiling... again.