Who Are You Taking For Browns at #2?
-
The absolute last thing I would want is for Justin Fields to try and play in the Stefanski offense, or for Stefanski to try again to change everything for his RPO QB.
I'm actually shocked that people can watch what just happened with this team to only want to go out and do it immediately again.
The absolute last thing I would want is for Justin Fields to try and play in the Stefanski offense, or for Stefanski to try again to change everything for his RPO QB.
I'm actually shocked that people can watch what just happened with this team to only want to go out and do it immediately again.
Fields played in a run-heavy offense with elements of the QB centric run sprinkled in similar to some of the designs I broke down when Brissett was our starting QB.
To say that Fields and Watson are one in the same is short-sighted.
-
The absolute last thing I would want is for Justin Fields to try and play in the Stefanski offense, or for Stefanski to try again to change everything for his RPO QB.
I'm actually shocked that people can watch what just happened with this team to only want to go out and do it immediately again.
Fields played in a run-heavy offense with elements of the QB centric run sprinkled in similar to some of the designs I broke down when Brissett was our starting QB.
To say that Fields and Watson are one in the same is short-sighted.
Fields played in a run-heavy offense with elements of the QB centric run sprinkled in similar to some of the designs I broke down when Brissett was our starting QB.
To say that Fields and Watson are one and the same is short-sighted.
Is he a QB who stands in the pocket, reads defenses and goes through progressions well, or is he someone who tends to be a one read then run guy? Because Watson wasn’t that guy in Houston, but he kind of regressed to that in Cleveland
-
The absolute last thing I would want is for Justin Fields to try and play in the Stefanski offense, or for Stefanski to try again to change everything for his RPO QB.
I'm actually shocked that people can watch what just happened with this team to only want to go out and do it immediately again.
The absolute last thing I would want is for Justin Fields to try and play in the Stefanski offense, or for Stefanski to try again to change everything for his RPO QB.
I'm actually shocked that people can watch what just happened with this team to only want to go out and do it immediately again.
Hey I'd be open to any ideas you have about what veteran QB can help us. Until then, let me explain the reality we're up against.
The Gary Kubiak offense Stefanski WANTS to run here doesn't have a LT and rarely has a healthy starting RT. Bitonio is starting his 12th season at LG (sounding very much like the current situation is enticing him to retire). The backup/swing Tackle Dawand Jones is 2 for 2 showing up way overweight and out of shape leading to 2 consecutive IR appearances. We do have a percentage of Nick Chubb though. While Stefanski has extensive experience and 2 Coach of the Year honors (with Baker as his QB 1 year and 5 different QBs another year) most of his prior NFL experience was limited to playing for 1 team indoors in Minnesota. Toward the end, Minnesota had to bring Kubiak back as a consultant to Stefanski when Minnesota's offense was struggling. His college experience was playing Safety at Penn.
Anyway, when a guy can throw 41 TDs to just 3 INTs 1 year at Ohio State - there's some clay to mold that the serial QB killers in Chicago weren't capable of tapping. With the current reality of this offense - WHAT available veteran QB out there wants any part of playing QB aside from Flacco maybe. There is no fit for this out there. I remember people informing me it's okay they got rid of Flacco; because him doing well would only make Watson's situation worse with the fanbase. I know we remember these conversations guys. We were literally talking about Watson's potential feelings and confidence.
I'm just trying to think of what veteran QB that could be a fit for the unfair situation before we throw an inexperienced rookie QB out there. It had to be a guy that can at least move. Like I said, Pittsburgh was 4-2 with Fields starting with a very affordable contract I might add. He is and remains the young veteran QB I'd like to see us take a shot at until the QB we draft is ready to go. Maybe our problem is we don't have a coaching staff that can adapt to the talent of the QB? If we can't do it with a 230 million $ guarantee at QB who succeeded at Clemson and Houston before coming to this offense - who can we do it with? Kubiak's Offense borrows and blends a lot of principles from Dan Reeves and Mike Shanahan that John Elway thrived in when Kubiak was his backup QB. Elway was running a 4.5 coming out of Stanford so a cement shoe'd QB doesn't have to be a pre-requisite. A slow moving QB could be a reminder of what Joe Flacco's last game looked like here when the pass pro was overwhelmed.
I'm open to hearing ideas from others about what veteran QBs we should be thinking about to keep us from hurrying a QB we draft out there before he's ready....
-
The absolute last thing I would want is for Justin Fields to try and play in the Stefanski offense, or for Stefanski to try again to change everything for his RPO QB.
I'm actually shocked that people can watch what just happened with this team to only want to go out and do it immediately again.
Fields played in a run-heavy offense with elements of the QB centric run sprinkled in similar to some of the designs I broke down when Brissett was our starting QB.
To say that Fields and Watson are one in the same is short-sighted.
Fields played in a run-heavy offense with elements of the QB centric run sprinkled in similar to some of the designs I broke down when Brissett was our starting QB.
To say that Fields and Watson are one in the same is short-sighted.
Well, it's sounding like Pittsburgh is leaning more toward keeping Fields so anyone worrying about Fields coming here doesn't have to. That was a waste of a discussion I dedicated way too many paragraphs to.
Are there any available veteran QBs that can help this team? The current roster/situation here isn't exactly a recruiting attraction. What about our Cousin Vinny? Testaverde is only 61 years old but he doesn't look a day over 51...
-
I like Aiden O’Connell here next year. If the Raiders (very possible) go QB he’s on the market.
Not a big splash I know but let’s keep it real given our circumstances
-
Fields played in a run-heavy offense with elements of the QB centric run sprinkled in similar to some of the designs I broke down when Brissett was our starting QB.
To say that Fields and Watson are one and the same is short-sighted.
Is he a QB who stands in the pocket, reads defenses and goes through progressions well, or is he someone who tends to be a one read then run guy? Because Watson wasn’t that guy in Houston, but he kind of regressed to that in Cleveland
Is he a QB who stands in the pocket, reads defenses and goes through progressions well, or is he someone who tends to be a one read then run guy?
Most are, just depends on how fast/well they do it.
Well, it's sounding like Pittsburgh is leaning more toward keeping Fields so anyone worrying about Fields coming here doesn't have to. That was a waste of a discussion I dedicated way too many paragraphs to.
Yep.
-
Fields played in a run-heavy offense with elements of the QB centric run sprinkled in similar to some of the designs I broke down when Brissett was our starting QB.
To say that Fields and Watson are one in the same is short-sighted.
Well, it's sounding like Pittsburgh is leaning more toward keeping Fields so anyone worrying about Fields coming here doesn't have to. That was a waste of a discussion I dedicated way too many paragraphs to.
Are there any available veteran QBs that can help this team? The current roster/situation here isn't exactly a recruiting attraction. What about our Cousin Vinny? Testaverde is only 61 years old but he doesn't look a day over 51...
Well, it's sounding like Pittsburgh is leaning more toward keeping Fields so anyone worrying about Fields coming here doesn't have to. That was a waste of a discussion I dedicated way too many paragraphs to.
Are there any available veteran QBs that can help this team? The current roster/situation here isn't exactly a recruiting attraction. What about our Cousin Vinny? Testaverde is only 61 years old but he doesn't look a day over 51...
Minshew? Cousins? Darnold?
-
Fields played in a run-heavy offense with elements of the QB centric run sprinkled in similar to some of the designs I broke down when Brissett was our starting QB.
To say that Fields and Watson are one in the same is short-sighted.
Well, it's sounding like Pittsburgh is leaning more toward keeping Fields so anyone worrying about Fields coming here doesn't have to. That was a waste of a discussion I dedicated way too many paragraphs to.
Are there any available veteran QBs that can help this team? The current roster/situation here isn't exactly a recruiting attraction. What about our Cousin Vinny? Testaverde is only 61 years old but he doesn't look a day over 51...
Well, it's sounding like Pittsburgh is leaning more toward keeping Fields so anyone worrying about Fields coming here doesn't have to. That was a waste of a discussion I dedicated way too many paragraphs to.
Are there any available veteran QBs that can help this team? The current roster/situation here isn't exactly a recruiting attraction. What about our Cousin Vinny? Testaverde is only 61 years old but he doesn't look a day over 51...
Minshew? Cousins? Darnold?
Add in Wentz, Flacco, Brissett...
-
Well, it's sounding like Pittsburgh is leaning more toward keeping Fields so anyone worrying about Fields coming here doesn't have to. That was a waste of a discussion I dedicated way too many paragraphs to.
Are there any available veteran QBs that can help this team? The current roster/situation here isn't exactly a recruiting attraction. What about our Cousin Vinny? Testaverde is only 61 years old but he doesn't look a day over 51...
Minshew? Cousins? Darnold?
Add in Wentz, Flacco, Brissett...
-
-
Well, it's sounding like Pittsburgh is leaning more toward keeping Fields so anyone worrying about Fields coming here doesn't have to. That was a waste of a discussion I dedicated way too many paragraphs to.
Are there any available veteran QBs that can help this team? The current roster/situation here isn't exactly a recruiting attraction. What about our Cousin Vinny? Testaverde is only 61 years old but he doesn't look a day over 51...
Minshew? Cousins? Darnold?
Minshew? Cousins? Darnold?
Those are options. I like the Cousins idea best if he's willing to park his career in Cleveland. As likable as Minshew is - last year wasn't one of his better years with 9 TD Passes and 10 INTs largely due to the surrounding talent. That said, the Raiders beat the Browns so this doesn't offer him much more. Darnold will probably have a few choices after last year; but this offense won't have the same toys for the QB. In the playoffs, we saw how bad he can be without pass pro - which I fear coming here would be like.
You never know though. I know I don't...
-
And any of them would be an improvement over the current QB room.
Age
Minshew - 28
Flacco - 40
Brissett - 32
Wentz - 32
Cousins - 36
Darnold - 27
-
I really like this evaluator, and he does a good job comparing Ward vs Sanders and why Sanders is the better QB and better fit for Stefanski.
-
I really like this evaluator, and he does a good job comparing Ward vs Sanders and why Sanders is the better QB and better fit for Stefanski.
why Sanders is the better QB
I agree. I'd want Sanders.
.....and Sanders isn't going to 'fall' in round 1. Even if he got past picks 1 & 2, he'd go very soon after.
-
why Sanders is the better QB
I agree. I'd want Sanders.
.....and Sanders isn't going to 'fall' in round 1. Even if he got past picks 1 & 2, he'd go very soon after.
I agree. I'd want Sanders.
.....and Sanders isn't going to 'fall' in round 1. Even if he got past picks 1 & 2, he'd go very soon after.
There may be some concerns about his long term durability - he had a fractured back at one point, numbness in extremities, teams will check him out physically - with his accuracy and qb smarts, he might drop a bit, but surely will still go that high unless a physical shows a problem with that.
-
why Sanders is the better QB
I agree. I'd want Sanders.
.....and Sanders isn't going to 'fall' in round 1. Even if he got past picks 1 & 2, he'd go very soon after.
I agree. I'd want Sanders.
.....and Sanders isn't going to 'fall' in round 1. Even if he got past picks 1 & 2, he'd go very soon after.
Agreed! And I also hope we take Sanders if TN doesn't. Is it really going to be that easy for us though?
I've heard a rumor Pittsburgh is very interested in trading up with TN to get him. I think that came from Mike Greenberg or someone on ESPN. That rumor could very well reach Berea and entice the Browns to try to trade up for him.
-
I agree. I'd want Sanders.
.....and Sanders isn't going to 'fall' in round 1. Even if he got past picks 1 & 2, he'd go very soon after.
Agreed! And I also hope we take Sanders if TN doesn't. Is it really going to be that easy for us though?
I've heard a rumor Pittsburgh is very interested in trading up with TN to get him. I think that came from Mike Greenberg or someone on ESPN. That rumor could very well reach Berea and entice the Browns to try to trade up for him.
I've heard a rumor Pittsburgh is very interested in trading up with TN to get him. I think that came from Mike Greenberg or someone on ESPN. That rumor could very well reach Berea and entice the Browns to try to trade up for him.
Oooo...we hate the Steelers! And our guys just love to call the bet and raise don't they.
Ya know, most of the draft gurus think that Ward is going to be taken before Sanders....and that includes teams trading up to #1.
-
I've heard a rumor Pittsburgh is very interested in trading up with TN to get him. I think that came from Mike Greenberg or someone on ESPN. That rumor could very well reach Berea and entice the Browns to try to trade up for him.
Oooo...we hate the Steelers! And our guys just love to call the bet and raise don't they.
Ya know, most of the draft gurus think that Ward is going to be taken before Sanders....and that includes teams trading up to #1.
Oooo...we hate the Steelers! And our guys just love to call the bet and raise don't they.
Ya know, most of the draft gurus think that Ward is going to be taken before Sanders....and that includes teams trading up to #1.
I'm seeing a lot of people put Ward as the 1st QB in the mock drafts - like the one I shared had the Giants taking Ward after TN took Carter and the Browns took Hunter. They wouldn't do that if they weren't hearing it or reading it or actually thinking it. We'll see my man!
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login