Joel Bitonio Considering Retirement
-
-
There's always next year. Or the year after next. Or the year after that one.
-
Who could blame him? If they're gonna trade away their good players, why do I wanna hang on ?
Who could blame him? If they're gonna trade away their good players, why do I wanna hang on ?
Well said! Not for nothing, they haven't exactly ACED the draft since they fired John Dorsey. This owner fires people when he doesn't have a clue how to hire an upgrade. I don't even get excited when the Browns fire someone because they have no clue how to hire the upgrade. It all starts at the top...
-
Who could blame him? If they're gonna trade away their good players, why do I wanna hang on ?
Well said! Not for nothing, they haven't exactly ACED the draft since they fired John Dorsey. This owner fires people when he doesn't have a clue how to hire an upgrade. I don't even get excited when the Browns fire someone because they have no clue how to hire the upgrade. It all starts at the top...
-
Zak Zinter, come on down!
I hope he's having a good, productive off-season because it might be time for him to step in and start full-time.
-
Zak Zinter, come on down!
I hope he's having a good, productive off-season because it might be time for him to step in and start full-time.
Zak Zinter, come on down!
As I recall he was less than spectacular when they were forced to play him due to injuries. And with their less than spectacular drafting, whether Zinter has a ceiling or a crawl space. Either way, he was drafted with Bitonio retiring in mind. It'll be interesting to see what they do or don't do regarding the interior of the OL.
-
Zak Zinter, come on down!
As I recall he was less than spectacular when they were forced to play him due to injuries. And with their less than spectacular drafting, whether Zinter has a ceiling or a crawl space. Either way, he was drafted with Bitonio retiring in mind. It'll be interesting to see what they do or don't do regarding the interior of the OL.
As I recall he was less than spectacular when they were forced to play him due to injuries. And with their less than spectacular drafting, whether Zinter has a ceiling or a crawl space. Either way, he was drafted with Bitonio retiring in mind. It'll be interesting to see what they do or don't do regarding the interior of the OL.
It was a less than stellar debut from Zinter, but he was a rookie coming off a pretty bad injury the November before. Hopefully it was just a case of him being rushed a little too early.
-
I’m ashamed to admit l didn’t get down and dirty watching O-line play last year. In years past l would spend hours slo-moing a game to watch blocking schemes unfold.
I have a high opinion of Bitonio, he’s definitely in the conversation for the HOF. Maybe a step back season last year.
Something was amiss with the blocking scheme last year. Pulling guards is one of the funnest things to watch in football imo, and there was less of that. Tiamat or Flugel may have better insight there.
Joel Bitonio, Brownie for life has a nice ring, no matter when he decides to hang it up.
-
I’m ashamed to admit l didn’t get down and dirty watching O-line play last year. In years past l would spend hours slo-moing a game to watch blocking schemes unfold.
I have a high opinion of Bitonio, he’s definitely in the conversation for the HOF. Maybe a step back season last year.
Something was amiss with the blocking scheme last year. Pulling guards is one of the funnest things to watch in football imo, and there was less of that. Tiamat or Flugel may have better insight there.
Joel Bitonio, Brownie for life has a nice ring, no matter when he decides to hang it up.
I’m ashamed to admit l didn’t get down and dirty watching O-line play last year. In years past l would spend hours slo-moing a game to watch blocking schemes unfold.
I have a high opinion of Bitonio, he’s definitely in the conversation for the HOF. Maybe a step back season last year.
Something was amiss with the blocking scheme last year. Pulling guards is one of the funnest things to watch in football imo, and there was less of that. Tiamat or Flugel may have better insight there.
Joel Bitonio, Brownie for life has a nice ring, no matter when he decides to hang it up.
Thank you IBB! I felt the same way as you. New OL Coach, new OC, injured LTs, and an aging Bitonio. My background in high school football before I coached it a few years was playing RG in a wishbone. Ironically, when I coached we ran the Delaware Wing T. The pulling and trapping as an OG required good chemistry and continuity of adjacent line-mates. If I'm trapping to the other side of Center - someone has to fill my vacated area immediately usually the Center which means the play-side Guard has to down block the area the Center vacates while the Tackle has to down block the area the playside Guard vacated. This leaves the defender that lined up across from that tackle unblocked until me as the trapping Guard often ends up blindsiding this guy that never saw me coming (while he thought he had a gimme tackle for loss). This hit by me usually took place the in the free blocking zone so I didn't have to get my head in front of him on the initial contact for it to be legal. Free blocking zone is an invisible 3 yards deep by 5 yards wide on each side of Center. Anyway, at the beginning of my freshman year I bellied back on a trap and tripped up our QB in practice. Needless to say, it was a teaching moment I wanted to crawl under a rock to avoid the loud/high testosterone Shakespeare. Trapping Guards have to take a lateral step aiming for where the Center's fanny was pre-snap understanding he's firing out at the snap. It's a 100% trust you have to have there. If 1 guy does the wrong thing or misses his assignment on a trap play or even a QB bootleg/waggle pass or a power sweep using a pulling Guard - the whole play gets blown up. Chemistry & continuity is of the utmost importance for that reason. Last year, that wasn't often possible with the injuries to our tackles and influx of players within the new system. Before last year, I used to get really frustrated with Wills because when he's supposed to be down blocking to the inside when they were trying to trap block/seal the area he vacated - the guy he was supposed to down block would blow up the play because he never got there. That's lazy, unprepared and unacceptable for a veteran tackle this team kept entitling as the starter until injured. IMO, there was too much unfolding last year with the new playbook and influx of injuries for any of us to waste time comparing what was supposed to be done vrs the actual results. I think that had a lot to do with why we felt the way we did about it all IBB.
Hope that made sense. My wish here is the impressive number of Pro Bowl honors Bitonio earned when he was at the top of his game is enough for him to make the HOF. His long term durability, efficiency and reliability were a commitment to excellence we have to go all the way back to HOF OG Gene Hickerson to find an equitable comparison.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login