Browns sign a 2 year deal for veteran OT Cornelius Lucas
-
I like it any time you can bring in a player who can, or at least push other players for starting time at multiple positions.
-
Jack Conklin is a potential post-June 1 cut candidate like they did with Dalvin Tomlinson. It would free up almost $15M in cap space.
Jack Conklin is a potential post-June 1 cut candidate like they did with Dalvin Tomlinson. It would free up almost $15M in cap space.
which is why I would like to see them bring back Wills on a one year deal and play him at RT
-
Jack Conklin is a potential post-June 1 cut candidate like they did with Dalvin Tomlinson. It would free up almost $15M in cap space.
which is why I would like to see them bring back Wills on a one year deal and play him at RT
which is why I would like to see them bring back Wills on a one year deal and play him at RT
Syd you have some good ideas but this ain't one of them. What's he going to give us at RT with the same unwillingness to break a sweat that he didn't already give us at LT? Bringing him back would be rewarding all that. If this guy offered anything - don't you think 1 of 32 teams would have already signed him? If we're going to do that we should just put a classified ad in the paper "Gypsy needed - for a team that wants to pretend to solve their issues at offensive tackle. We offer an attractive signing bonus inclusive of a camel and flip-flops." And we wonder why we're bad. Dawand Jones shows up to camp 2 years in a row weighing 400 lbs as our best hope at LT? This is another guy that showed up with all the talent in the world not quite interested enough to prioritize it all for a career that requires commitment, discipline and effort. I don't care if he went to Ohio State - so did Orlando Pace who prioritized his NFL career to the extent he's in the Hall of Fame.
There's some good RTs in this draft we can get at a salary restricted rookie contract in rounds 3-6. There's also some good LTs in this draft in rounds 1-3. I wouldn't wait until round 3 per say, but we draft at the top of it. All I ask is can our scouts research some freakin work ethics this time around?
While Lucas is a current band-aid, he's 33 years old. That said, he does have 54 starts and participated in 129 games blended from the following teams: Lions, Rams, Saints, Bears and Washington.
-
I don't know if Lucas is any good, but the age doesn't bother me. At some positions age matters, some not so much. OL is one of those positions where age is less of a factor. I see linemen playing at a good level up near 40 years old.
Again, i don't know if he works out or not, but if he does i see no reason why he can't play for another 3-4 years. In todays toss and turn NFL, 3-4 years is about as much as you can expect out of any player.
To illustrate the age factor, age takes away speed before it takes away strength. O line isn't a position where speed is a key component to playing the position. Those guys usually start slow, and stay slow.
Speed for receivers is over rated. If a receiver runs at 4.6, the guy covering him is also running at 4.6. He can still get open if he has a bit of juke to him and can still make sharp, flat cuts.
On the other hand, if a corner runs a 4.6 but the receiver he is covering runs a 4.4, then you have a problem, so speed for a DB is far more important for a corner than it is for a receiver.
-
I don't know if Lucas is any good, but the age doesn't bother me. At some positions age matters, some not so much. OL is one of those positions where age is less of a factor. I see linemen playing at a good level up near 40 years old.
Again, i don't know if he works out or not, but if he does i see no reason why he can't play for another 3-4 years. In todays toss and turn NFL, 3-4 years is about as much as you can expect out of any player.
To illustrate the age factor, age takes away speed before it takes away strength. O line isn't a position where speed is a key component to playing the position. Those guys usually start slow, and stay slow.
Speed for receivers is over rated. If a receiver runs at 4.6, the guy covering him is also running at 4.6. He can still get open if he has a bit of juke to him and can still make sharp, flat cuts.
On the other hand, if a corner runs a 4.6 but the receiver he is covering runs a 4.4, then you have a problem, so speed for a DB is far more important for a corner than it is for a receiver.
I don't know if Lucas is any good, but the age doesn't bother me. At some positions age matters, some not so much. OL is one of those positions where age is less of a factor. I see linemen playing at a good level up near 40 years old.
Again, i don't know if he works out or not, but if he does i see no reason why he can't play for another 3-4 years. In todays toss and turn NFL, 3-4 years is about as much as you can expect out of any player.
To illustrate the age factor, age takes away speed before it takes away strength. O line isn't a position where speed is a key component to playing the position. Those guys usually start slow, and stay slow.
Speed for receivers is over rated. If a receiver runs at 4.6, the guy covering him is also running at 4.6. He can still get open if he has a bit of juke to him and can still make sharp, flat cuts.
On the other hand, if a corner runs a 4.6 but the receiver he is covering runs a 4.4, then you have a problem, so speed for a DB is far more important for a corner than it is for a receiver.
I don't mind Lucas, believe it or not. I think he's a decent short term idea because in spite of his age the volume of play doesn't look like it caused a lot of wear and tear while it's given him enough experience to benefit him and the team he plays for. What I don't want the Browns to do is fall into a habit they can just settle for anyone at offensive tackle. That limits where you can run and how long you give your passer to throw. If we're going to invest in a QB - getting him a good LT is an ideal way to protect him. Like NE showed us - they got a rock solid LT from Purdue in 2001 (Matt Light) in the 2nd round who started 11 years protecting Brady's blind side. This year will have some good LTs in round 2 as well.
-
I don't know if Lucas is any good, but the age doesn't bother me. At some positions age matters, some not so much. OL is one of those positions where age is less of a factor. I see linemen playing at a good level up near 40 years old.
Again, i don't know if he works out or not, but if he does i see no reason why he can't play for another 3-4 years. In todays toss and turn NFL, 3-4 years is about as much as you can expect out of any player.
To illustrate the age factor, age takes away speed before it takes away strength. O line isn't a position where speed is a key component to playing the position. Those guys usually start slow, and stay slow.
Speed for receivers is over rated. If a receiver runs at 4.6, the guy covering him is also running at 4.6. He can still get open if he has a bit of juke to him and can still make sharp, flat cuts.
On the other hand, if a corner runs a 4.6 but the receiver he is covering runs a 4.4, then you have a problem, so speed for a DB is far more important for a corner than it is for a receiver.
I don't mind Lucas, believe it or not. I think he's a decent short term idea because in spite of his age the volume of play doesn't look like it caused a lot of wear and tear while it's given him enough experience to benefit him and the team he plays for. What I don't want the Browns to do is fall into a habit they can just settle for anyone at offensive tackle. That limits where you can run and how long you give your passer to throw. If we're going to invest in a QB - getting him a good LT is an ideal way to protect him. Like NE showed us - they got a rock solid LT from Purdue in 2001 (Matt Light) in the 2nd round who started 11 years protecting Brady's blind side. This year will have some good LTs in round 2 as well.
I don't mind Lucas, believe it or not. I think he's a decent short term idea because in spite of his age the volume of play doesn't look like it caused a lot of wear and tear while it's given him enough experience to benefit him and the team he plays for. What I don't want the Browns to do is fall into a habit they can just settle for anyone at offensive tackle. That limits where you can run and how long you give your passer to throw. If we're going to invest in a QB - getting him a good LT is an ideal way to protect him. Like NE showed us - they got a rock solid LT from Purdue in 2001 (Matt Light) in the 2nd round who started 11 years protecting Brady's blind side. This year will have some good LTs in round 2 as well.
I get it, though I have to admit I won't be very happy drafting a LT that high this year. I am normally good with trenches guys, but we have a severe shortage of guys who get the ball and score points. I think we need to get a few more guys like that on the roster
-
I don't mind Lucas, believe it or not. I think he's a decent short term idea because in spite of his age the volume of play doesn't look like it caused a lot of wear and tear while it's given him enough experience to benefit him and the team he plays for. What I don't want the Browns to do is fall into a habit they can just settle for anyone at offensive tackle. That limits where you can run and how long you give your passer to throw. If we're going to invest in a QB - getting him a good LT is an ideal way to protect him. Like NE showed us - they got a rock solid LT from Purdue in 2001 (Matt Light) in the 2nd round who started 11 years protecting Brady's blind side. This year will have some good LTs in round 2 as well.
I get it, though I have to admit I won't be very happy drafting a LT that high this year. I am normally good with trenches guys, but we have a severe shortage of guys who get the ball and score points. I think we need to get a few more guys like that on the roster
we have a severe shortage of guys who get the ball and score points. I think we need to get a few more guys like that on the roster
Truth right there. QB, RB, TE, WR.
Perhaps hunter helps the WR situation. But maybe not as much as we need. People talk of Cedric Tillman being someone we can count on but he missed a lot of games last year. Of course the elephant in the room is who's gonna get the ball to these possible WR and/or TE upgrades that we draft. Obviously, not having a franchise QB shouldn't stop us from drafting talented skill position players....but it IS a bit of a paradox.
-
which is why I would like to see them bring back Wills on a one year deal and play him at RT
Syd you have some good ideas but this ain't one of them. What's he going to give us at RT with the same unwillingness to break a sweat that he didn't already give us at LT? Bringing him back would be rewarding all that. If this guy offered anything - don't you think 1 of 32 teams would have already signed him? If we're going to do that we should just put a classified ad in the paper "Gypsy needed - for a team that wants to pretend to solve their issues at offensive tackle. We offer an attractive signing bonus inclusive of a camel and flip-flops." And we wonder why we're bad. Dawand Jones shows up to camp 2 years in a row weighing 400 lbs as our best hope at LT? This is another guy that showed up with all the talent in the world not quite interested enough to prioritize it all for a career that requires commitment, discipline and effort. I don't care if he went to Ohio State - so did Orlando Pace who prioritized his NFL career to the extent he's in the Hall of Fame.
There's some good RTs in this draft we can get at a salary restricted rookie contract in rounds 3-6. There's also some good LTs in this draft in rounds 1-3. I wouldn't wait until round 3 per say, but we draft at the top of it. All I ask is can our scouts research some freakin work ethics this time around?
While Lucas is a current band-aid, he's 33 years old. That said, he does have 54 starts and participated in 129 games blended from the following teams: Lions, Rams, Saints, Bears and Washington.
Syd you have some good ideas but this ain't one of them. What's he going to give us at RT with the same unwillingness to break a sweat that he didn't already give us at LT? Bringing him back would be rewarding all that. If this guy offered anything - don't you think 1 of 32 teams would have already signed him? If we're going to do that we should just put a classified ad in the paper "Gypsy needed - for a team that wants to pretend to solve their issues at offensive tackle. We offer an attractive signing bonus inclusive of a camel and flip-flops." And we wonder why we're bad. Dawand Jones shows up to camp 2 years in a row weighing 400 lbs as our best hope at LT? This is another guy that showed up with all the talent in the world not quite interested enough to prioritize it all for a career that requires commitment, discipline and effort. I don't care if he went to Ohio State - so did Orlando Pace who prioritized his NFL career to the extent he's in the Hall of Fame.
There's some good RTs in this draft we can get at a salary restricted rookie contract in rounds 3-6. There's also some good LTs in this draft in rounds 1-3. I wouldn't wait until round 3 per say, but we draft at the top of it. All I ask is can our scouts research some freakin work ethics this time around?
While Lucas is a current band-aid, he's 33 years old. That said, he does have 54 starts and participated in 129 games blended from the following teams: Lions, Rams, Saints, Bears and Washington.
offer him the league minimum or a incentive laden contract, it's not like he would be taken up a roster spot
-
Syd you have some good ideas but this ain't one of them. What's he going to give us at RT with the same unwillingness to break a sweat that he didn't already give us at LT? Bringing him back would be rewarding all that. If this guy offered anything - don't you think 1 of 32 teams would have already signed him? If we're going to do that we should just put a classified ad in the paper "Gypsy needed - for a team that wants to pretend to solve their issues at offensive tackle. We offer an attractive signing bonus inclusive of a camel and flip-flops." And we wonder why we're bad. Dawand Jones shows up to camp 2 years in a row weighing 400 lbs as our best hope at LT? This is another guy that showed up with all the talent in the world not quite interested enough to prioritize it all for a career that requires commitment, discipline and effort. I don't care if he went to Ohio State - so did Orlando Pace who prioritized his NFL career to the extent he's in the Hall of Fame.
There's some good RTs in this draft we can get at a salary restricted rookie contract in rounds 3-6. There's also some good LTs in this draft in rounds 1-3. I wouldn't wait until round 3 per say, but we draft at the top of it. All I ask is can our scouts research some freakin work ethics this time around?
While Lucas is a current band-aid, he's 33 years old. That said, he does have 54 starts and participated in 129 games blended from the following teams: Lions, Rams, Saints, Bears and Washington.
offer him the league minimum or a incentive laden contract, it's not like he would be taken up a roster spot
-
we have a severe shortage of guys who get the ball and score points. I think we need to get a few more guys like that on the roster
Truth right there. QB, RB, TE, WR.
Perhaps hunter helps the WR situation. But maybe not as much as we need. People talk of Cedric Tillman being someone we can count on but he missed a lot of games last year. Of course the elephant in the room is who's gonna get the ball to these possible WR and/or TE upgrades that we draft. Obviously, not having a franchise QB shouldn't stop us from drafting talented skill position players....but it IS a bit of a paradox.
Truth right there. QB, RB, TE, WR.
Perhaps hunter helps the WR situation. But maybe not as much as we need. People talk of Cedric Tillman being someone we can count on but he missed a lot of games last year. Of course the elephant in the room is who's gonna get the ball to these possible WR and/or TE upgrades that we draft. Obviously, not having a franchise QB shouldn't stop us from drafting talented skill position players....but it IS a bit of a paradox.
No doubt. I just think back to Haslam saying it might take a year or two to get the QB. We have followed the template of getting the QB first for decades and it hasn't seemed to work. Maybe it's time to use a different template.
I guess at this point I am not all that eager to write off Pickett. I think he is better than anybody we played last year. With that 2nd round pick, I want a QB, RB or another WR/TE of some sort. Surround whoever get get to play QB with quality players at other skill positions on offense.
We had Joe Thomas. One of the greats, but what did we win while he was here? Maybe an average of 4-5 wins a year while he was here? Don't get me wrong, I loved Joe Thomas, but great OLine players don't win games. They support the players who do. We need a couple of backs, 2 more receivers, and another TE other than the usual clods we have backing up Joke.
-
I don't mind Lucas, believe it or not. I think he's a decent short term idea because in spite of his age the volume of play doesn't look like it caused a lot of wear and tear while it's given him enough experience to benefit him and the team he plays for. What I don't want the Browns to do is fall into a habit they can just settle for anyone at offensive tackle. That limits where you can run and how long you give your passer to throw. If we're going to invest in a QB - getting him a good LT is an ideal way to protect him. Like NE showed us - they got a rock solid LT from Purdue in 2001 (Matt Light) in the 2nd round who started 11 years protecting Brady's blind side. This year will have some good LTs in round 2 as well.
I get it, though I have to admit I won't be very happy drafting a LT that high this year. I am normally good with trenches guys, but we have a severe shortage of guys who get the ball and score points. I think we need to get a few more guys like that on the roster
I get it, though I have to admit I won't be very happy drafting a LT that high this year. I am normally good with trenches guys, but we have a severe shortage of guys who get the ball and score points. I think we need to get a few more guys like that on the roster
? There is THAT! Travis Hunter could give us big plays & TD juice at #2 overall, which means we could be using our 1st pick of the 2nd round on a QB like Tyler Shough (not my idea but I like it) or another QB the Browns like better. One of the draft magazines grades the offensive tackle class in this draft as a B- so there should still be some good prospects for us to choose from after we take care of the 1st thing and the 2nd thing.
-
Truth right there. QB, RB, TE, WR.
Perhaps hunter helps the WR situation. But maybe not as much as we need. People talk of Cedric Tillman being someone we can count on but he missed a lot of games last year. Of course the elephant in the room is who's gonna get the ball to these possible WR and/or TE upgrades that we draft. Obviously, not having a franchise QB shouldn't stop us from drafting talented skill position players....but it IS a bit of a paradox.
No doubt. I just think back to Haslam saying it might take a year or two to get the QB. We have followed the template of getting the QB first for decades and it hasn't seemed to work. Maybe it's time to use a different template.
I guess at this point I am not all that eager to write off Pickett. I think he is better than anybody we played last year. With that 2nd round pick, I want a QB, RB or another WR/TE of some sort. Surround whoever get get to play QB with quality players at other skill positions on offense.
We had Joe Thomas. One of the greats, but what did we win while he was here? Maybe an average of 4-5 wins a year while he was here? Don't get me wrong, I loved Joe Thomas, but great OLine players don't win games. They support the players who do. We need a couple of backs, 2 more receivers, and another TE other than the usual clods we have backing up Joke.
No doubt. I just think back to Haslam saying it might take a year or two to get the QB. We have followed the template of getting the QB first for decades and it hasn't seemed to work. Maybe it's time to use a different template.
I guess at this point I am not all that eager to write off Pickett. I think he is better than anybody we played last year. With that 2nd round pick, I want a QB, RB or another WR/TE of some sort. Surround whoever get get to play QB with quality players at other skill positions on offense.
We had Joe Thomas. One of the greats, but what did we win while he was here? Maybe an average of 4-5 wins a year while he was here? Don't get me wrong, I loved Joe Thomas, but great OLine players don't win games. They support the players who do. We need a couple of backs, 2 more receivers, and another TE other than the usual clods we have backing up Joke.
Let's try to stay in context with this. The Browns won 10 games in Joe Thomas' rookie year. The following teams have either won or participated in SBs after winning only 9 or 10 games in the regular season.
He got to play next to a great vet like Eric Steinbach as a rookie. It's not his fault the Browns have remained the worst team at drafting QBs in their own division and the NFL as a whole (the 85 supplemental Draft was 40 years ago). Even Joe's rookie year, there were 2 QBs the Browns drafted and 1 journey man (DA). The journeyman took over in week 2 and led the Browns to 10-5 after Frye got the Browns off to 0-1. Quinn never won a starting job here or anywhere else - not even over Tim Tebow.
Anyway, when the Browns finally draft the right franchise QB - you're honestly not gonna care how good the LT is at pass protection? Teams usually line-up their best edge rusher across from the LT (this is usually our QB's blind side unless we have another QB with 2 blind sides). LT is usually the 1st OL position to be drafted; and they get the biggest OL contracts. Does this happen if it's not important? Before you remind me the Chargers recently selected a RT in the 1st round (Joe Alt); that's because they already drafted their reliable LT Rashawn Slater in the 1st round of 2021. Now that they have 2 reliable OTs on the edges - they made the playoffs while they kept their franchise QB healthy...
I'm gonna differ with you about offensive line - there's Saquon Barkely that only made it to the playoffs twice in his 6 years with the Giants (losing the wild card game 1 year and in the divisional round the next). And then there's Saquon Barkley that was unstoppable behind arguably the best OL in football. They also had a damn good OL the year they beat the Patriots in the SB. With the OLs in Philly I speak of Foles was the winning QB vrs Brady and Hurts was the winning QB vrs Mahomes. Neither of their SB winning QBs were 1st round draft picks either for whatever it's worth.
Just for shits and giggles - even Braylon Edwards peak-a-booed in 1 season of playing like a 3rd overall pick the year Joe Thomas was a rookie.
-
Truth right there. QB, RB, TE, WR.
Perhaps hunter helps the WR situation. But maybe not as much as we need. People talk of Cedric Tillman being someone we can count on but he missed a lot of games last year. Of course the elephant in the room is who's gonna get the ball to these possible WR and/or TE upgrades that we draft. Obviously, not having a franchise QB shouldn't stop us from drafting talented skill position players....but it IS a bit of a paradox.
No doubt. I just think back to Haslam saying it might take a year or two to get the QB. We have followed the template of getting the QB first for decades and it hasn't seemed to work. Maybe it's time to use a different template.
I guess at this point I am not all that eager to write off Pickett. I think he is better than anybody we played last year. With that 2nd round pick, I want a QB, RB or another WR/TE of some sort. Surround whoever get get to play QB with quality players at other skill positions on offense.
We had Joe Thomas. One of the greats, but what did we win while he was here? Maybe an average of 4-5 wins a year while he was here? Don't get me wrong, I loved Joe Thomas, but great OLine players don't win games. They support the players who do. We need a couple of backs, 2 more receivers, and another TE other than the usual clods we have backing up Joke.
We had Joe Thomas. One of the greats, but what did we win while he was here?
Yeah, that was such a waste of one of the greatest OLinemen of all time. It certainly wasn't his fault that we sucked. But the reason that we didn't win much is because of the elephant in the room. Quarterback - We can gather as many really, really good WR's, TE's and RB's that we want...but they won't be really good on OUR team until we get a good QB (and an OLine to give him time to throw and to open a crack for the RB). It's a catch 22.
Having said that, hitching your wagon to the wrong QB for an extended period of time does no good, so...we can't force the draft to have our franchise QB. And we apparently know that because the last time we were in the situation we DIDN'T draft Kenney Pickett...we went the big trade route. Of course, in classic Cleveland Browns fashion, that failed miserably too. But we've gotta continue to swing the bat....just not at balls in the dirt.
-
Truth right there. QB, RB, TE, WR.
Perhaps hunter helps the WR situation. But maybe not as much as we need. People talk of Cedric Tillman being someone we can count on but he missed a lot of games last year. Of course the elephant in the room is who's gonna get the ball to these possible WR and/or TE upgrades that we draft. Obviously, not having a franchise QB shouldn't stop us from drafting talented skill position players....but it IS a bit of a paradox.
No doubt. I just think back to Haslam saying it might take a year or two to get the QB. We have followed the template of getting the QB first for decades and it hasn't seemed to work. Maybe it's time to use a different template.
I guess at this point I am not all that eager to write off Pickett. I think he is better than anybody we played last year. With that 2nd round pick, I want a QB, RB or another WR/TE of some sort. Surround whoever get get to play QB with quality players at other skill positions on offense.
We had Joe Thomas. One of the greats, but what did we win while he was here? Maybe an average of 4-5 wins a year while he was here? Don't get me wrong, I loved Joe Thomas, but great OLine players don't win games. They support the players who do. We need a couple of backs, 2 more receivers, and another TE other than the usual clods we have backing up Joke.
No doubt. I just think back to Haslam saying it might take a year or two to get the QB. We have followed the template of getting the QB first for decades and it hasn't seemed to work. Maybe it's time to use a different template.
We've also had solid teams with good offensive lines and invested in QBs and skill players - which that method also has not worked.
See: Quinn, Manziel & Weeden.
-
-
well as flugs said,it's not like anyone is knocking down his door
I'm sorry for putting down your idea Syd; but I like that you're tossing ideas around about ways we can get better at OT. The draft might have some goodies beyond the big names everyone keeps seeing. I say that because we may not get to OT until rounds 3 or 4 or later.
-
No doubt. I just think back to Haslam saying it might take a year or two to get the QB. We have followed the template of getting the QB first for decades and it hasn't seemed to work. Maybe it's time to use a different template.
I guess at this point I am not all that eager to write off Pickett. I think he is better than anybody we played last year. With that 2nd round pick, I want a QB, RB or another WR/TE of some sort. Surround whoever get get to play QB with quality players at other skill positions on offense.
We had Joe Thomas. One of the greats, but what did we win while he was here? Maybe an average of 4-5 wins a year while he was here? Don't get me wrong, I loved Joe Thomas, but great OLine players don't win games. They support the players who do. We need a couple of backs, 2 more receivers, and another TE other than the usual clods we have backing up Joke.
Let's try to stay in context with this. The Browns won 10 games in Joe Thomas' rookie year. The following teams have either won or participated in SBs after winning only 9 or 10 games in the regular season.
He got to play next to a great vet like Eric Steinbach as a rookie. It's not his fault the Browns have remained the worst team at drafting QBs in their own division and the NFL as a whole (the 85 supplemental Draft was 40 years ago). Even Joe's rookie year, there were 2 QBs the Browns drafted and 1 journey man (DA). The journeyman took over in week 2 and led the Browns to 10-5 after Frye got the Browns off to 0-1. Quinn never won a starting job here or anywhere else - not even over Tim Tebow.
Anyway, when the Browns finally draft the right franchise QB - you're honestly not gonna care how good the LT is at pass protection? Teams usually line-up their best edge rusher across from the LT (this is usually our QB's blind side unless we have another QB with 2 blind sides). LT is usually the 1st OL position to be drafted; and they get the biggest OL contracts. Does this happen if it's not important? Before you remind me the Chargers recently selected a RT in the 1st round (Joe Alt); that's because they already drafted their reliable LT Rashawn Slater in the 1st round of 2021. Now that they have 2 reliable OTs on the edges - they made the playoffs while they kept their franchise QB healthy...
I'm gonna differ with you about offensive line - there's Saquon Barkely that only made it to the playoffs twice in his 6 years with the Giants (losing the wild card game 1 year and in the divisional round the next). And then there's Saquon Barkley that was unstoppable behind arguably the best OL in football. They also had a damn good OL the year they beat the Patriots in the SB. With the OLs in Philly I speak of Foles was the winning QB vrs Brady and Hurts was the winning QB vrs Mahomes. Neither of their SB winning QBs were 1st round draft picks either for whatever it's worth.
Just for shits and giggles - even Braylon Edwards peak-a-booed in 1 season of playing like a 3rd overall pick the year Joe Thomas was a rookie.
Let's try to stay in context with this. The Browns won 10 games in Joe Thomas' rookie year. The following teams have either won or participated in SBs after winning only 9 or 10 games in the regular season.
He got to play next to a great vet like Eric Steinbach as a rookie. It's not his fault the Browns have remained the worst team at drafting QBs in their own division and the NFL as a whole (the 85 supplemental Draft was 40 years ago). Even Joe's rookie year, there were 2 QBs the Browns drafted and 1 journey man (DA). The journeyman took over in week 2 and led the Browns to 10-5 after Frye got the Browns off to 0-1. Quinn never won a starting job here or anywhere else - not even over Tim Tebow.
Anyway, when the Browns finally draft the right franchise QB - you're honestly not gonna care how good the LT is at pass protection? Teams usually line-up their best edge rusher across from the LT (this is usually our QB's blind side unless we have another QB with 2 blind sides). LT is usually the 1st OL position to be drafted; and they get the biggest OL contracts. Does this happen if it's not important? Before you remind me the Chargers recently selected a RT in the 1st round (Joe Alt); that's because they already drafted their reliable LT Rashawn Slater in the 1st round of 2021. Now that they have 2 reliable OTs on the edges - they made the playoffs while they kept their franchise QB healthy...
I'm gonna differ with you about offensive line - there's Saquon Barkely that only made it to the playoffs twice in his 6 years with the Giants (losing the wild card game 1 year and in the divisional round the next). And then there's Saquon Barkley that was unstoppable behind arguably the best OL in football. They also had a damn good OL the year they beat the Patriots in the SB. With the OLs in Philly I speak of Foles was the winning QB vrs Brady and Hurts was the winning QB vrs Mahomes. Neither of their SB winning QBs were 1st round draft picks either for whatever it's worth.
Just for shits and giggles - even Braylon Edwards peak-a-booed in 1 season of playing like a 3rd overall pick the year Joe Thomas was a rookie.
Again, I am not saying Oline isn't important. It's very important. I just think that at this juncture our O-line is still pretty good but other areas suck. I also want to mention something I didn't say in my previous post but have hammered on for years, when we get to the 33rd pick and some O-lineman is clearly the best player available, take him.
Like you, I am not convinced that D Jones has the desire and fortitude to keep his weight in some semblance of playing shape. He looks like he eats a few dozen too many meals a month at the Waffle House.
-
Let's try to stay in context with this. The Browns won 10 games in Joe Thomas' rookie year. The following teams have either won or participated in SBs after winning only 9 or 10 games in the regular season.
He got to play next to a great vet like Eric Steinbach as a rookie. It's not his fault the Browns have remained the worst team at drafting QBs in their own division and the NFL as a whole (the 85 supplemental Draft was 40 years ago). Even Joe's rookie year, there were 2 QBs the Browns drafted and 1 journey man (DA). The journeyman took over in week 2 and led the Browns to 10-5 after Frye got the Browns off to 0-1. Quinn never won a starting job here or anywhere else - not even over Tim Tebow.
Anyway, when the Browns finally draft the right franchise QB - you're honestly not gonna care how good the LT is at pass protection? Teams usually line-up their best edge rusher across from the LT (this is usually our QB's blind side unless we have another QB with 2 blind sides). LT is usually the 1st OL position to be drafted; and they get the biggest OL contracts. Does this happen if it's not important? Before you remind me the Chargers recently selected a RT in the 1st round (Joe Alt); that's because they already drafted their reliable LT Rashawn Slater in the 1st round of 2021. Now that they have 2 reliable OTs on the edges - they made the playoffs while they kept their franchise QB healthy...
I'm gonna differ with you about offensive line - there's Saquon Barkely that only made it to the playoffs twice in his 6 years with the Giants (losing the wild card game 1 year and in the divisional round the next). And then there's Saquon Barkley that was unstoppable behind arguably the best OL in football. They also had a damn good OL the year they beat the Patriots in the SB. With the OLs in Philly I speak of Foles was the winning QB vrs Brady and Hurts was the winning QB vrs Mahomes. Neither of their SB winning QBs were 1st round draft picks either for whatever it's worth.
Just for shits and giggles - even Braylon Edwards peak-a-booed in 1 season of playing like a 3rd overall pick the year Joe Thomas was a rookie.
Again, I am not saying Oline isn't important. It's very important. I just think that at this juncture our O-line is still pretty good but other areas suck. I also want to mention something I didn't say in my previous post but have hammered on for years, when we get to the 33rd pick and some O-lineman is clearly the best player available, take him.
Like you, I am not convinced that D Jones has the desire and fortitude to keep his weight in some semblance of playing shape. He looks like he eats a few dozen too many meals a month at the Waffle House.
Again, I am not saying Oline isn't important. It's very important. I just think that at this juncture our O-line is still pretty good but other areas suck. I also want to mention something I didn't say in my previous post but have hammered on for years, when we get to the 33rd pick and some O-lineman is clearly the best player available, take him.
Ethan Pocic turns 30 during training camp. Joel Bitonio is most likely playing in his last season, and Wyatt Teller turns 31 during the season and is perpetually nursing an injury. Jack Conklin also turns 31 and is made of glass. Dawand Jones is 0 for 2 in finishing seasons on the field. That's the state of our starting OLine.
And who on the bench is a guarantee to be able to step in and take over a starting job?
IMO both lines need an infusion of young talent.
-
Let's try to stay in context with this. The Browns won 10 games in Joe Thomas' rookie year. The following teams have either won or participated in SBs after winning only 9 or 10 games in the regular season.
He got to play next to a great vet like Eric Steinbach as a rookie. It's not his fault the Browns have remained the worst team at drafting QBs in their own division and the NFL as a whole (the 85 supplemental Draft was 40 years ago). Even Joe's rookie year, there were 2 QBs the Browns drafted and 1 journey man (DA). The journeyman took over in week 2 and led the Browns to 10-5 after Frye got the Browns off to 0-1. Quinn never won a starting job here or anywhere else - not even over Tim Tebow.
Anyway, when the Browns finally draft the right franchise QB - you're honestly not gonna care how good the LT is at pass protection? Teams usually line-up their best edge rusher across from the LT (this is usually our QB's blind side unless we have another QB with 2 blind sides). LT is usually the 1st OL position to be drafted; and they get the biggest OL contracts. Does this happen if it's not important? Before you remind me the Chargers recently selected a RT in the 1st round (Joe Alt); that's because they already drafted their reliable LT Rashawn Slater in the 1st round of 2021. Now that they have 2 reliable OTs on the edges - they made the playoffs while they kept their franchise QB healthy...
I'm gonna differ with you about offensive line - there's Saquon Barkely that only made it to the playoffs twice in his 6 years with the Giants (losing the wild card game 1 year and in the divisional round the next). And then there's Saquon Barkley that was unstoppable behind arguably the best OL in football. They also had a damn good OL the year they beat the Patriots in the SB. With the OLs in Philly I speak of Foles was the winning QB vrs Brady and Hurts was the winning QB vrs Mahomes. Neither of their SB winning QBs were 1st round draft picks either for whatever it's worth.
Just for shits and giggles - even Braylon Edwards peak-a-booed in 1 season of playing like a 3rd overall pick the year Joe Thomas was a rookie.
Again, I am not saying Oline isn't important. It's very important. I just think that at this juncture our O-line is still pretty good but other areas suck. I also want to mention something I didn't say in my previous post but have hammered on for years, when we get to the 33rd pick and some O-lineman is clearly the best player available, take him.
Like you, I am not convinced that D Jones has the desire and fortitude to keep his weight in some semblance of playing shape. He looks like he eats a few dozen too many meals a month at the Waffle House.
Again, I am not saying Oline isn't important. It's very important. I just think that at this juncture our O-line is still pretty good but other areas suck. I also want to mention something I didn't say in my previous post but have hammered on for years, when we get to the 33rd pick and some O-lineman is clearly the best player available, take him.
Like you, I am not convinced that D Jones has the desire and fortitude to keep his weight in some semblance of playing shape. He looks like he eats a few dozen too many meals a month at the Waffle House.
Yeah, we're not too far apart in our thinking on this IMO. It was just a convenient time to talk about leaving a 10 time Pro Bowl/HOF LT at the altar without a QB. If/when this team ever drafts a franchise QB - we have to make sure we have reliability protecting him on both edges. Do we HAVE to draft our reliable Tackle in round 2 or at #2 overall? Not really especially considering top prospects like Josh Simmons and Kelvin Banks Jr are coming off knee injuries last year. There's good prospects in rounds 3 and 4.
Here's the thing, when a guy like Dawand Jones shows up to this rookie season and his 2nd season weighing over 400 lbs - is this a guy taking a dream career seriously? The 2 consecutive seasons ending on IR were almost inevitable; while a similar lack of passion for the profession also persisted with Wills. Our scouts gotta dig deeper on the work ethic research to prevent history from repeating itself. When Buffalo went to 4 Super Bowls I'd read in the local sport pages how they'd interview coaches as far back and high school & JV and sometimes even teachers regarding character, personality and work ethic. Remember that Corner/KR from Oklahoma State (Justin Blackmon) - the Browns didn't even interview his college coaches where 1 un-named assistant said he would have been happy to tell the Browns how often he was late/absent from meetings. If a prospect doesn't offer passion - it doesn't matter how talented he is in a game where players are often defined by how they respond to adversity. We can get a very good tackle somewhere in this draft; and we should be diligent with this position with undrafted FAs. There's a lot of needs to be filled so it's going to be interesting in 2 weeks...
-
Again, I am not saying Oline isn't important. It's very important. I just think that at this juncture our O-line is still pretty good but other areas suck. I also want to mention something I didn't say in my previous post but have hammered on for years, when we get to the 33rd pick and some O-lineman is clearly the best player available, take him.
Ethan Pocic turns 30 during training camp. Joel Bitonio is most likely playing in his last season, and Wyatt Teller turns 31 during the season and is perpetually nursing an injury. Jack Conklin also turns 31 and is made of glass. Dawand Jones is 0 for 2 in finishing seasons on the field. That's the state of our starting OLine.
And who on the bench is a guarantee to be able to step in and take over a starting job?
IMO both lines need an infusion of young talent.
Ethan Pocic turns 30 during training camp. Joel Bitonio is most likely playing in his last season, and Wyatt Teller turns 31 during the season and is perpetually nursing an injury. Jack Conklin also turns 31 and is made of glass. Dawand Jones is 0 for 2 in finishing seasons on the field. That's the state of our starting OLine.
And who on the bench is a guarantee to be able to step in and take over a starting job?
IMO both lines need an infusion of young talent.
Agreed. We do have a couple young interior OL guys that should be ready to compete like C Luke Wypler (returning from injury) and G Zak Zinter. Both guys offer a flexibility to play Guard or Center. Silver linings are always welcome.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login

