Browns #2 Pick
-
I read today that the Browns envision him as primarily a WR.
When Ward gets his next concussion while Newsome and Emerson are getting beat left, right and deep - it'll change THAT fast. No "yeah buts" about it. This FO hasn't spoiled us with talent in the secondary. Ward was already here before Berry returned.
Speaking of concussions, Cedric Tillman was lighting it up before he got his bell rung while Jerry Jeudy also played his best football. Adding Hunter to this group makes the WR Corps here as good as any in this league.
When Ward gets his next concussion while Newsome and Emerson are getting beat left, right and deep - it'll change THAT fast. No "yeah buts" about it. This FO hasn't spoiled us with talent in the secondary. Ward was already here before Berry returned.
Speaking of concussions, Cedric Tillman was lighting it up before he got his bell rung while Jerry Jeudy also played his best football. Adding Hunter to this group makes the WR Corps here as good as any in this league.
No doubt that injuries can change things.
Hunter on O full time makes more sense because if you just bring him in every now and then it sort of looks like the Schwartz situation. He needs to be there on every play demanding attention no matter the play called.
If we use him on D on what would primarily be viewed as a passing down, if he comes in teams are still going to pass the ball. He is still going to be able to lock down a receiver, at least hopefully.
As i said in an earlier post, I doubt he plays both way 100%, but I could see his starting position change depending on the opponent. Maybe even during games as the ebb and flow changes.
As for Tillman, saying he was lighting it up might be a little optimistic, but I agree he was showing good progress.
-
When Ward gets his next concussion while Newsome and Emerson are getting beat left, right and deep - it'll change THAT fast. No "yeah buts" about it. This FO hasn't spoiled us with talent in the secondary. Ward was already here before Berry returned.
Speaking of concussions, Cedric Tillman was lighting it up before he got his bell rung while Jerry Jeudy also played his best football. Adding Hunter to this group makes the WR Corps here as good as any in this league.
No doubt that injuries can change things.
Hunter on O full time makes more sense because if you just bring him in every now and then it sort of looks like the Schwartz situation. He needs to be there on every play demanding attention no matter the play called.
If we use him on D on what would primarily be viewed as a passing down, if he comes in teams are still going to pass the ball. He is still going to be able to lock down a receiver, at least hopefully.
As i said in an earlier post, I doubt he plays both way 100%, but I could see his starting position change depending on the opponent. Maybe even during games as the ebb and flow changes.
As for Tillman, saying he was lighting it up might be a little optimistic, but I agree he was showing good progress.
No doubt that injuries can change things.
Hunter on O full time makes more sense because if you just bring him in every now and then it sort of looks like the Schwartz situation. He needs to be there on every play demanding attention no matter the play called.
If we use him on D on what would primarily be viewed as a passing down, if he comes in teams are still going to pass the ball. He is still going to be able to lock down a receiver, at least hopefully.
As i said in an earlier post, I doubt he plays both way 100%, but I could see his starting position change depending on the opponent. Maybe even during games as the ebb and flow changes.
As for Tillman, saying he was lighting it up might be a little optimistic, but I agree he was showing good progress.
Hard to disagree with any of that!
IMO, it's not a good idea to start ANY rookie both ways fulltime. Having said that with the understanding he IS a rookie in an era teams play situational football - I see nothing wrong with eventually giving him situational packages on both sides of the ball after he's focused mostly on 1 side of the ball throughout training map and the 1st 8-9 weeks of the regular season. You don't want to overwhelm him right away with all the complexities this level has.
Once we see, he's off on the right foot; then introduce him to the defensive side. Keep in mind, WRs prepare themselves for coverage/coverage leverages every week - and he does have some experience playing Corner for a HC that was a shutdown Corner in the NFL so learning defense may not be that difficult. If they progress to a limited dual purpose, on offense give him slot and flanker opportunities. Vary formations to get him off the field. Hearsay/rumor had it, Stefanski was a guy that really liked to use a lot of double Tight End formations prior to Cleveland that could also be an ideal excuse to get Hunter off the field/limit his reps. There's a TE in Syracuse projecting for Round 5 Oronde Gadsden Jr (dad played for the Dolphins) 73 rec 934 yards 7 TDs while his soph year had 61 rec 975 yards 6 TDs that would go pretty good on 1 side with David Njoku on the other fwiw. On defense there's packages that call for more corners on the field - get Hunter's feet wet with that.
In pre-draft poker - we don't know where the Browns really want him if he comes here. We DO know how important closing speed is at the NFL level and he's got it. For that matter, our WRs need closing speed too with some of the QBs we've been sentenced to in the last 2 decades. For a franchise that needs CPR in the big play department - Divine Intervention could be placing him right on our door step. This could pre-draft poker aimed at the Giants who would love to find a WR opposite the rookie (Malik Nabors) they had last year who completely overwhelmed our corners. The Chargers also REALLY exposed our secondary even when the Browns were putting good pressure on Herbert.
-
I STILL think Sanders is a very good choice at #2. YES, I saw the Billy Kilmer spirals at the workout but the passes were accurate with velocity behind them. Those deep throws look very user friendly to the WRs. Great touch. This is a guy that completed 74% of his passes last year and 69.3 % of them his junior year in case anyone is wondering what he looked like with corners covering his receivers while he rarely had ideal pass protection.
-
I can’t understand why after years and years of pre draft rankings on players being so blindingly obviously wrong when it plays out in the big league that people are still saying “this QB isn’t worth the #2 pick”. Heard it all before including with Mahomes. Nobody has any idea
No team is going anywhere without a QB if the Browns take a frickin corner who will play some WR packages with the #2 pick it’s time to give up for good.
-
My top five for number 2
1. Travis Hunter Best player on board
2. Abdul Carter opposite Miles
3. trade down if possible. Pick up more picks.
4. Ashton Jeanty hopefully to pair with Chubb Bring Chubb home!!!) may be able to trade down to get5 Tyler Warren to pair with Njoku may be able to trade down to get
QB or BPA (WR, OT, S, LB) at 33
hope a good QB is at 33 or late 20s (to trade up for)
-
My top five for number 2
1. Travis Hunter Best player on board
2. Abdul Carter opposite Miles
3. trade down if possible. Pick up more picks.
4. Ashton Jeanty hopefully to pair with Chubb Bring Chubb home!!!) may be able to trade down to get5 Tyler Warren to pair with Njoku may be able to trade down to get
QB or BPA (WR, OT, S, LB) at 33
hope a good QB is at 33 or late 20s (to trade up for)
My top five for number 2
1. Travis Hunter Best player on board
2. Abdul Carter opposite Miles
3. trade down if possible. Pick up more picks.
4. Ashton Jeanty hopefully to pair with Chubb Bring Chubb home!!!) may be able to trade down to get5 Tyler Warren to pair with Njoku may be able to trade down to get
QB or BPA (WR, OT, S, LB) at 33
hope a good QB is at 33 or late 20s (to trade up for)
I'm not sure I want to spend that high of a pick on a RB, but all and all I'm pretty much on board with all of this. I like Hunter and Carter at top of the draft, but also really like guys like Mason Graham, Will Johnson, Malaki Starks and the two Big Ten tight ends in Loveland and Warren.
-
My top five for number 2
1. Travis Hunter Best player on board
2. Abdul Carter opposite Miles
3. trade down if possible. Pick up more picks.
4. Ashton Jeanty hopefully to pair with Chubb Bring Chubb home!!!) may be able to trade down to get5 Tyler Warren to pair with Njoku may be able to trade down to get
QB or BPA (WR, OT, S, LB) at 33
hope a good QB is at 33 or late 20s (to trade up for)
I'm not sure I want to spend that high of a pick on a RB, but all and all I'm pretty much on board with all of this. I like Hunter and Carter at top of the draft, but also really like guys like Mason Graham, Will Johnson, Malaki Starks and the two Big Ten tight ends in Loveland and Warren.
I'm not sure I want to spend that high of a pick on a RB, but all and all I'm pretty much on board with all of this. I like Hunter and Carter at top of the draft, but also really like guys like Mason Graham, Will Johnson, Malaki Starks and the two Big Ten tight ends in Loveland and Warren.
Yes, I know that RBs usually go lower. I think Hunter or Carter are clearly the the top tier. To me the rest are a different tier.
I really like the thought of Warren though. Loveland too. And the others you mentioned are blue chip.
but I hope we take Hunter at the end of the day.
-
I'm not sure I want to spend that high of a pick on a RB, but all and all I'm pretty much on board with all of this. I like Hunter and Carter at top of the draft, but also really like guys like Mason Graham, Will Johnson, Malaki Starks and the two Big Ten tight ends in Loveland and Warren.
Yes, I know that RBs usually go lower. I think Hunter or Carter are clearly the the top tier. To me the rest are a different tier.
I really like the thought of Warren though. Loveland too. And the others you mentioned are blue chip.
but I hope we take Hunter at the end of the day.
Yes, I know that RBs usually go lower. I think Hunter or Carter are clearly the the top tier. To me the rest are a different tier.
I really like the thought of Warren though. Loveland too. And the others you mentioned are blue chip.
but I hope we take Hunter at the end of the day.
Me too! Having said that, the most blue collar position on defense has one of the best DT prospects I've seen in years: Mason Graham. He's not gonna lead the league in sacks, score any TDs (most likely), or anything that can produce points in a hurry per say. What he WILL do is impose his will on OGs stuffing the point of attack at the line of scrimmage and command more than 1 blocker a very high percentage of snaps.
And when you look at him - he still has pre-school baby fat all over him. Don't let that fool you though; because that great big rascal can shut down an inside running game all by himself. Let's just say he can make an opponent's running game feel like a clogged toilet... The last place I want to see that Gerber Baby food smile is in another AFC North uniform...
-
Yes, I know that RBs usually go lower. I think Hunter or Carter are clearly the the top tier. To me the rest are a different tier.
I really like the thought of Warren though. Loveland too. And the others you mentioned are blue chip.
but I hope we take Hunter at the end of the day.
Me too! Having said that, the most blue collar position on defense has one of the best DT prospects I've seen in years: Mason Graham. He's not gonna lead the league in sacks, score any TDs (most likely), or anything that can produce points in a hurry per say. What he WILL do is impose his will on OGs stuffing the point of attack at the line of scrimmage and command more than 1 blocker a very high percentage of snaps.
And when you look at him - he still has pre-school baby fat all over him. Don't let that fool you though; because that great big rascal can shut down an inside running game all by himself. Let's just say he can make an opponent's running game feel like a clogged toilet... The last place I want to see that Gerber Baby food smile is in another AFC North uniform...
Me too! Having said that, the most blue collar position on defense has one of the best DT prospects I've seen in years: Mason Graham. He's not gonna lead the league in sacks, score any TDs (most likely), or anything that can produce points in a hurry per say. What he WILL do is impose his will on OGs stuffing the point of attack at the line of scrimmage and command more than 1 blocker a very high percentage of snaps.
And when you look at him - he still has pre-school baby fat all over him. Don't let that fool you though; because that great big rascal can shut down an inside running game all by himself. Let's just say he can make an opponent's running game feel like a clogged toilet... The last place I want to see that Gerber Baby food smile is in another AFC North uniform...
Yes, Graham would be a good pick also. He would be an excellent piece for our D-line.
-
My new draft thoughts:
Hunter is now saying that he's gonna cause a problem if the team that drafts him doesn't let him play both sides of the ball.
And Carter at 253 lb's is too light to dominate NFL Tackles.
And since nobody likes Sanders anymore, Trade Out of #2.
We should still be able to pickup a WR, OT or interior DLimeman when our turn arrives.
-
My new draft thoughts:
Hunter is now saying that he's gonna cause a problem if the team that drafts him doesn't let him play both sides of the ball.
And Carter at 253 lb's is too light to dominate NFL Tackles.
And since nobody likes Sanders anymore, Trade Out of #2.
We should still be able to pickup a WR, OT or interior DLimeman when our turn arrives.
My new draft thoughts:
Hunter is now saying that he's gonna cause a problem if the team that drafts him doesn't let him play both sides of the ball.
And Carter at 253 lb's is too light to dominate NFL Tackles.
And since nobody likes Sanders anymore, Trade Out of #2.
We should still be able to pickup a WR, OT or interior DLimeman when our turn arrives.
You've been at this long enough to know the closer the draft gets - the more the nit-picking gets aimed at top prospects that other teams want falling to them the more we'll see comments getting taken out of context by some of them.
For example, Hunter is really telling whoever drafts him "help me help you. I want to work for my money so let me do that for you."Carter can still be the best LBer he was recruited to be in a 2 point stance - UNLESS he'd rather line up with a hand down against great athletes that weigh anywhere from 50-90 pounds more than him with a RB like Henry running behind that kind of mystery meat. More specifically he can be JOK with more opportunities to blitz from the DC (possibly even Schwartz). I like that better for him if he comes here. Replacing the loss of JOK is a huge need for the Browns - how about with a guy that might even be better?
Who cares if nobody likes Sanders if he's really he most accurate passer in the draft? I know what freaks FANS out - those spirals wobble more than my kid's weebles. Completion percentages accompanying those tell us his teammates weren't having a tough time catching them. Not only that, there's some velocity behind them. The biggest reason he makes Mel Kiper and Todd McShay (who used to be a QB) nervous is because they both agree he's very accurate and a great prospect. That hasn't changed. What has changed is teams needing QBs are starting to feel the Browns don't think any of them are special enough to draft at #2 - here comes all of the nit-picking from every possible direction. All of a sudden he has a Don King-like entourage. For some reason nobody wants to point out that Sanders or Ward have worked really hard to position themselves where they are today. Why? That ain't good pre-draft poker.
Teams that let the draft fall to them year after year usually remain focused enough to be prepared what guys will be falling to them enough to be ready to make the well informed decision. In other words, they don't just wing it. Want to compete with the Ravens? Beat them at that the draft. Even though Ozzie Newsome is retired (at least allegedly) - last year he was running their draft room and he still shows up to the combines with a stop watch. I'm pretty sure they already have a plan ready to go. They're not doubting all their thorough research this late into the process any more than Andrew Berry's last FO supervisor Howie Roseman is in Philly. That's why those 2 franchises win a lot of football games.
-
The pick is going to be Hunter. We haven’t spent a great deal of time or actually time at all picking him apart as a prospect.
Carter on the other hand: his agent, his injuries, his production in 2023 as an off the ball LB, his weight, at times his performance against Minnesota, Courtney Brown comp.
All that said he’s going to suit up Week 1 for a team. He bends and gets small and has some speed off the edge and uses his hands well and it will create problems on 2nd and long and the money down 3rd down. It sure looked that way when Donovan Jackson was in front of him last Fall.
I see relentless…mold of a JJ Watt. Don’t attack me on this but…better than Myles here.
I see a guy that you can incorporate into a creative scheme…some ball skills and coverage skills.
Can he developed into a DE that sets the edge…perhaps.
Cleveland is the perfect fit for him. Hes not getting chipped on 3rd down. Hes got a HOF guy on the other side and when its time for his second contract he will take over for Myles.
-
The pick is going to be Hunter. We haven’t spent a great deal of time or actually time at all picking him apart as a prospect.
Carter on the other hand: his agent, his injuries, his production in 2023 as an off the ball LB, his weight, at times his performance against Minnesota, Courtney Brown comp.
All that said he’s going to suit up Week 1 for a team. He bends and gets small and has some speed off the edge and uses his hands well and it will create problems on 2nd and long and the money down 3rd down. It sure looked that way when Donovan Jackson was in front of him last Fall.
I see relentless…mold of a JJ Watt. Don’t attack me on this but…better than Myles here.
I see a guy that you can incorporate into a creative scheme…some ball skills and coverage skills.
Can he developed into a DE that sets the edge…perhaps.
Cleveland is the perfect fit for him. Hes not getting chipped on 3rd down. Hes got a HOF guy on the other side and when its time for his second contract he will take over for Myles.
Can he developed into a DE that sets the edge…perhaps.
Then it's not possible for him to be better than Myles. Unless you believe Micah Parsons is a more complete player than MG?
-
-
Can he developed into a DE that sets the edge…perhaps.
Then it's not possible for him to be better than Myles. Unless you believe Micah Parsons is a more complete player than MG?
Then it's not possible for him to be better than Myles. Unless you believe Micah Parsons is a more complete player than MG?
At this point I don’t think Carter is a complete player, but I see TJ Watt type qualities. I see the same Relentless nature. TJ is the king of the coverage sack. How many times have we seen a befuddled Browns QB off his first and second read 4/5 seconds into a play and TJ loops around and chases our guy down for a sack. Arguably this quality is something that TJ has over Myles. I have always put Myles over TJ and I generally see Myles as the more complete player. One is a bone in Ribeye the other is a New York Strip.
3rd and long would be pretty fun for us next year.
The only way I’m disappointed next Thursday is if we don’t take Hunter or Carter or get some major haul in a trade down.
-
-
If the Browns were able to trade down, say with New Orleans to #9 if the Saints really wanted Sanders, I'd also definitely consider drafting Josh Simmons.
You give me Josh Simmons or about five other guys AND the Saints first rounder next season, I'm one giddy guinea come next Thursday night.
-
What I'm afraid of is we will draft Travis Hunter - who I like - and two years later we are saying something along the lines of:
"Well, to be honest, as a WR he's pretty much Jerry Jeudy II and as a cornerback he's almost as good as Denzel Ward was in his prime.."
I could be totally wrong, but I still feel like if he was strictly a WR or strictly a CB he wouldn't be considered a worthy pick for #2 overall. He's a top prospect because of the originality of his game, but there's some doubt in my head anyways that he'll eventually just play one of the other, which kind of voids the "specialness" of him.
-
What I'm afraid of is we will draft Travis Hunter - who I like - and two years later we are saying something along the lines of:
"Well, to be honest, as a WR he's pretty much Jerry Jeudy II and as a cornerback he's almost as good as Denzel Ward was in his prime.."
I could be totally wrong, but I still feel like if he was strictly a WR or strictly a CB he wouldn't be considered a worthy pick for #2 overall. He's a top prospect because of the originality of his game, but there's some doubt in my head anyways that he'll eventually just play one of the other, which kind of voids the "specialness" of him.
What I'm afraid of is we will draft Travis Hunter - who I like - and two years later we are saying something along the lines of:
"Well, to be honest, as a WR he's pretty much Jerry Jeudy II and as a cornerback he's almost as good as Denzel Ward was in his prime.."
I could be totally wrong, but I still feel like if he was strictly a WR or strictly a CB he wouldn't be considered a worthy pick for #2 overall. He's a top prospect because of the originality of his game, but there's some doubt in my head anyways that he'll eventually just play one of the other, which kind of voids the "specialness" of him.
Add the fact that he's saying that the team that drafts him HAS TO play him on both sides of the ball, or else. Now, I think I read that that's being walked back a bit...but ya know what....people say what they mean.
Is it nice that he can play CB & WR? To an extent. But the reality is, we're drafting players to fill a position. Not to HALF fill a position. You're not going to eliminate a WR & CB from your team because you drafted him. I mean, if he gets hurt than you lost two players (in theory). No, you're drafting him for a specific position...and he can 'help out' some at another. So he's either gonna be a WR or a CB.
Honestly, as I've said elsewhere, I'd rather just trade out of #2, gather some picks, and pick some good players at their position. THAT IS, if there's agreement that Sanders is not a good QB.
-
Berry said. "...But we'll use the whole shot clock, so to speak. We don't have to start making decisions until really Thursday night, so we'll use all the time afforded to us and make sure that we have a thorough plan depending on what happens at number one."
Yeah, just figure it out while you're on the clock. No need to be wastin' any time on that kind of stuff now.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login