Tommy Rees' Impact on Jalen Milroe
-
I know some people have Milroe on the same level of scary as the Exoricist was back in the 70s. Totally get it - we don't need any more nightmares about terrifying QB performance in Cleveland. Jimmy is equally creepy when it comes to QBs regardless of what he said most recently in public - he'll probably be in Rees' ear with tell these guys what you can do with Milroe with every damn one of them thinking we know what you can do with Milroe Jimmy... Hopefully this doesn't happen; but if it does - let's pray it's not at #2 overall... Just in case - here's how Milroe did with Rees in charge of him...
Anyway, here's Milroe's passing stats when Rees was the QB Coach and OC at Alabama in 2023:
13 Games 11 wins 2 losses 2834 yards 10.0 ypa 65.8 comp% 23 TD 6 INT - he also rushed for 521 yards and 12 TDs
Here's what Milroe did after Rees left Bama in 2024:
13 Games 9 wins 4 losses 2844 yards 8.9 ypa 64.3 comp% 16 TD 11 INT - he also rushed for 726 yards and 20 TDs
-
He’s a phenomenal runner who also is very good throwing deep passes. His short/ medium passes are not good.
I would worry that they’d take him and then their patience with developing him would cause them to skip over a better QB prospect next season
-
I'll add this - his completion percentages don't suck. His best TD:INT ratio of 23:6 in 2023 = Tyler's Shough in 2024. Shough had more yardage but Milroe had the better completion% of 65.8 to 62.7 for Shough when each had their best TD:INT ratio.
Whatever we're doing - Rees looks like he can get the best out of a young QB because that 2023 season he was at Bama was WAY better for Milroe than 2024.
I'm trying to find stuff that is somewhat positive.
-
He’s a phenomenal runner who also is very good throwing deep passes. His short/ medium passes are not good.
I would worry that they’d take him and then their patience with developing him would cause them to skip over a better QB prospect next season
He’s a phenomenal runner who also is very good throwing deep passes. His short/ medium passes are not good.
I would worry that they’d take him and then their patience with developing him would cause them to skip over a better QB prospect next season
After the 2025 college football season concludes, poor Arch Manning is gonna feel like he woke up on Brokeback Mountain with all the queer eye for great QB love he'll be gettin. I'm still kind of stunned that Texas only wanted to take a prospect like that and only set aside 1 full season for him to start, which is what they did for just a ho-hum starter in front of him (Quinn Ewers). Even if next year is Manning's junior year (which I don't know) - it would still be the final year as a best guess. Why not start him or at least give a lot of action as a Freshman; then progress it to starter as a sophomore. This would be followed by 1 final season his junior year. If you're gonna win the recruiting war for him and do that? You left a lot of "what if" on that field; and us Ohio State fans aren't complaining about it. Am I getting this wrong?
-
I'll add this - his completion percentages don't suck. His best TD:INT ratio of 23:6 in 2023 = Tyler's Shough in 2024. Shough had more yardage but Milroe had the better completion% of 65.8 to 62.7 for Shough when each had their best TD:INT ratio.
Whatever we're doing - Rees looks like he can get the best out of a young QB because that 2023 season he was at Bama was WAY better for Milroe than 2024.
I'm trying to find stuff that is somewhat positive.
I'll add this - his completion percentages don't suck. His best TD:INT ratio of 23:6 in 2023 = Tyler's Shough in 2024. Shough had more yardage but Milroe had the better completion% of 65.8 to 62.7 for Shough when each had their best TD:INT ratio.
Whatever we're doing - Rees looks like he can get the best out of a young QB because that 2023 season he was at Bama was WAY better for Milroe than 2024.
I'm trying to find stuff that is somewhat positive.
I don't want Milroe... I want a Manning/Brees type surgeon at the position..
-
He’s a phenomenal runner who also is very good throwing deep passes. His short/ medium passes are not good.
I would worry that they’d take him and then their patience with developing him would cause them to skip over a better QB prospect next season
He’s a phenomenal runner who also is very good throwing deep passes. His short/ medium passes are not good.
I would worry that they’d take him and then their patience with developing him would cause them to skip over a better QB prospect next season
He's good at throwing deep passes in the sense of his physical abilities and stepping into a throw. Does he still struggle to process and throw with timing, accuracy and consistency when the way isn't made clear for him? Yes.
Being physically capable is one thing, being "good" is another.
-
I like Milroe, but I do agree that being able and actually doing are different matters.
You can look back through the history books of any sport and find many players who had the ability to "do it", but didn't.
-
I'll add this - his completion percentages don't suck. His best TD:INT ratio of 23:6 in 2023 = Tyler's Shough in 2024. Shough had more yardage but Milroe had the better completion% of 65.8 to 62.7 for Shough when each had their best TD:INT ratio.
Whatever we're doing - Rees looks like he can get the best out of a young QB because that 2023 season he was at Bama was WAY better for Milroe than 2024.
I'm trying to find stuff that is somewhat positive.
I don't want Milroe... I want a Manning/Brees type surgeon at the position..
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login