Skip to content

J Wills Free Agent

The Browns Board
11 7 333 1
  • I wasn’t aware he was a FA this year? ?

    Quick foot speed? Where at the Golden Corral?

    IMG_0965.jpeg

  • I wasn’t aware he was a FA this year? ?

    Quick foot speed? Where at the Golden Corral?

    IMG_0965.jpeg

    @canton-dawg said:

    I wasn’t aware he was a FA this year? ?

    Quick foot speed? Where at the Golden Corral?

    IMG_0965.jpeg

    He'll be assembling burgers at five guys in about a year...

  • Someone will sign him sooner or later.

  • DawgPoundDad, huh?  

    Cute...   Stupid and naive. 

  • If the price is right, I wouldn't mind bringing him back and give him a long look on the right side.

  • I really have no way of knowing this but l got the impression Wills was not the most team first guy. That whole “business decision” explanation on why he got benched last year screamed that we weren’t getting the whole story with whatever was going on behind the scenes. 

    When he does sign with someone it will be pretty telling what the league thinks of him based on how much he signs for and under what circumstances (starter or depth guy). 

  • If the price is right, I wouldn't mind bringing him back and give him a long look on the right side.

    @ballpeen said:

    If the price is right, I wouldn't mind bringing him back and give him a long look on the right side.

    When has that ever happened / worked?  Rehiring a guy that you fired for performance reasons...

  • @ballpeen said:

    If the price is right, I wouldn't mind bringing him back and give him a long look on the right side.

    When has that ever happened / worked?  Rehiring a guy that you fired for performance reasons...

    @orion said:

    When has that ever happened / worked?  Rehiring a guy that you fired for performance reasons...

    Technically, he wasn't fired.  His contract ran out.

  • I really have no way of knowing this but l got the impression Wills was not the most team first guy. That whole “business decision” explanation on why he got benched last year screamed that we weren’t getting the whole story with whatever was going on behind the scenes. 

    When he does sign with someone it will be pretty telling what the league thinks of him based on how much he signs for and under what circumstances (starter or depth guy). 

    @ibleedbrown said:

    I really have no way of knowing this but l got the impression Wills was not the most team first guy. That whole “business decision” explanation on why he got benched last year screamed that we weren’t getting the whole story with whatever was going on behind the scenes. 

    When he does sign with someone it will be pretty telling what the league thinks of him based on how much he signs for and under what circumstances (starter or depth guy). 

    I agree, I think the guy is indifferent.  Maybe facing life after football at a young age would change that?

    I think the fact the guy is still a free agent tells you how the league feels about the guy.  He is now a after the draft FA candidate.  I don't view him as a LT starter.  He would be a swing tackle reserve, on a deal appropriate for that position.

    Now, if he was some sort of locker room cancer no doubt you don't want that.

  • @orion said:

    When has that ever happened / worked?  Rehiring a guy that you fired for performance reasons...

    Technically, he wasn't fired.  His contract ran out.

    @ballpeen said:

    Technically, he wasn't fired.  His contract ran out.

    Yes, they let his contract run out and let him walk out the door.   In other words, they've got no use for his lazy butt.  It's quite different from Nick Chubb.  Chubb is/was a model player and team mate...it's all of his injuries piling up on him.  Chubb is one that they would bring back...depending upon how the draft goes.  Chubb, most of us would want back.

  • I really have no way of knowing this but l got the impression Wills was not the most team first guy. That whole “business decision” explanation on why he got benched last year screamed that we weren’t getting the whole story with whatever was going on behind the scenes. 

    When he does sign with someone it will be pretty telling what the league thinks of him based on how much he signs for and under what circumstances (starter or depth guy). 

    @ibleedbrown said:

    I really have no way of knowing this but l got the impression Wills was not the most team first guy. That whole “business decision” explanation on why he got benched last year screamed that we weren’t getting the whole story with whatever was going on behind the scenes. 

    When he does sign with someone it will be pretty telling what the league thinks of him based on how much he signs for and under what circumstances (starter or depth guy). 

    All I know, is the guy showed up and impressed me his rookie year.  I say that on the effort side of it all.  This was a guy that stayed with his block until the whistle sounded whether he was winning or getting beat. Once he got his first nagging ankle injury, he never returned to that guy I saw.  I don't know if it was frustration; but it almost seemed like he developed a comfort responding to "what is your discomfort on a scale of 1 to 5?"  Wow!  I don't even have to suit up any more for this 1st round cake $.  I just never saw the same guy.

    When an Offensive Lineman is really dialed in  - he's gonna have his stance perfected.  That may sound corny but your stance can make all the difference in the world in how you come off the ball with a good pad height and base.  If any of that's wrong - this is when guys are prone to over-extending which gives their opponent a gimme.  Also, a stance (with even the slightest of leans) can give away what way a guy might be pulling/trapping/reach blocking or down blocking.  In some cases - it can tip off whether a guy is going to run block or pass protect.  I say all this because @tiamat63 and me looked at a little film of him together a couple years ago.  One of the things we noticed was he had quite an inconsistency with his stance from 1 play to the next.  The 1st question that comes to my mind - would Joe Thomas have allowed himself not to have the SAME stance on every play?  And why?  His mission was to set himself up for success like any competitor would.  This is stuff he can even practice in the off season if it means anything to him.  You get out of it what you put into it - and that's the memory Wills left me with. Having said that, my memory of Joe Thomas was he got out of it what he put into it - a HOF career.