Skip to content

Dillon Gabriel

The Browns Board
49 18 1.4k 2
  • Kid may as well ask for his release now. He'll never get a shot between the fans, media and owner constantly pushing for sanders. 

  • Listening to Ken Carmen today on 92.3 on my way to work this morning and he said that in his years following the Browns as a media member (pre-Baker) that Gabriel has the strongest arm he's seen on a Browns QB. 

    , 

  • I listened to Greg Cosell speaking about him and he said he has much better arm than people are giving him credit for 

    Main concern is the height of course 

  • Listening to Ken Carmen today on 92.3 on my way to work this morning and he said that in his years following the Browns as a media member (pre-Baker) that Gabriel has the strongest arm he's seen on a Browns QB. 

    , 

    @dutch-oven said:

    Listening to Ken Carmen today on 92.3 on my way to work this morning and he said that in his years following the Browns as a media member (pre-Baker) that Gabriel has the strongest arm he's seen on a Browns QB. 

    , 

    Example 1145 why Ken Carmen is full of shit.  Great way to manifest a talking point though. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Listening to Ken Carmen today on 92.3 on my way to work this morning and he said that in his years following the Browns as a media member (pre-Baker) that Gabriel has the strongest arm he's seen on a Browns QB. 

    , 

    Example 1145 why Ken Carmen is full of shit.  Great way to manifest a talking point though. 

    @tiamat63 said:

    Example 1145 why Ken Carmen is full of shit.  Great way to manifest a talking point though. 

    I was pretty surprised to hear him say that...

    In the video I just posted Zac Jackson said that Sanders threw the ball better than Gabriel, it was pretty obvious to him. 

    Should be an interesting training camp. 

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Example 1145 why Ken Carmen is full of shit.  Great way to manifest a talking point though. 

    I was pretty surprised to hear him say that...

    In the video I just posted Zac Jackson said that Sanders threw the ball better than Gabriel, it was pretty obvious to him. 

    Should be an interesting training camp. 

    @dutch-oven said:

    I was pretty surprised to hear him say that...

    In the video I just posted Zac Jackson said that Sanders threw the ball better than Gabriel, it was pretty obvious to him. 

    Should be an interesting training camp. 

    So long as it gets the clicks, people will say whatever.  

    Of course, I say that just as soon as I find Barstool picked up our SPS model and tweeted it a couple hours ago.  Our site hits exploded LOL 

  • I’ll wait for Sanders 11 on 11 in pads running around like Fran Tarkenton but taking sacks with bigger stronger faster guys chasing him before I give an opinion.  And then we will hear how we need to completely rebuild the entire offensive line before we judge his abilities.

    Gabriel seems to possess the ability to get the ball out more so than the Sanders tape.  3/4 senseless sacks a game is no way to jumpstart our offense 

  • I’ll wait for Sanders 11 on 11 in pads running around like Fran Tarkenton but taking sacks with bigger stronger faster guys chasing him before I give an opinion.  And then we will hear how we need to completely rebuild the entire offensive line before we judge his abilities.

    Gabriel seems to possess the ability to get the ball out more so than the Sanders tape.  3/4 senseless sacks a game is no way to jumpstart our offense 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I’ll wait for Sanders 11 on 11 in pads running around like Fran Tarkenton but taking sacks with bigger stronger faster guys chasing him before I give an opinion.  And then we will hear how we need to completely rebuild the entire offensive line before we judge his abilities.

    Gabriel seems to possess the ability to get the ball out more so than the Sanders tape.  3/4 senseless sacks a game is no way to jumpstart our offense 

    I think we need a combination of the two. God would look favorably on San Gabriel as the Browns new starting QB.?

  • I’ll wait for Sanders 11 on 11 in pads running around like Fran Tarkenton but taking sacks with bigger stronger faster guys chasing him before I give an opinion.  And then we will hear how we need to completely rebuild the entire offensive line before we judge his abilities.

    Gabriel seems to possess the ability to get the ball out more so than the Sanders tape.  3/4 senseless sacks a game is no way to jumpstart our offense 

    @sdbacker80 said:

    I’ll wait for Sanders 11 on 11 in pads running around like Fran Tarkenton but taking sacks with bigger stronger faster guys chasing him before I give an opinion.  And then we will hear how we need to completely rebuild the entire offensive line before we judge his abilities.

    Gabriel seems to possess the ability to get the ball out more so than the Sanders tape.  3/4 senseless sacks a game is no way to jumpstart our offense 

    I didn't watch that much of Sanders the last two seasons, but is his taking senseless sacks him playing hero ball or because his OLine at Colorado was horrible and he developed bad habits? 

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    I’ll wait for Sanders 11 on 11 in pads running around like Fran Tarkenton but taking sacks with bigger stronger faster guys chasing him before I give an opinion.  And then we will hear how we need to completely rebuild the entire offensive line before we judge his abilities.

    Gabriel seems to possess the ability to get the ball out more so than the Sanders tape.  3/4 senseless sacks a game is no way to jumpstart our offense 

    I didn't watch that much of Sanders the last two seasons, but is his taking senseless sacks him playing hero ball or because his OLine at Colorado was horrible and he developed bad habits? 

    @dutch-oven said:

    I didn't watch that much of Sanders the last two seasons, but is his taking senseless sacks him playing hero ball or because his OLine at Colorado was horrible and he developed bad habits? 

    Both.  Colorado had one of the very worst Olines in the power 5.  

    Sanders also took sacks vs shouldn't have. 

  • @dutch-oven said:

    I didn't watch that much of Sanders the last two seasons, but is his taking senseless sacks him playing hero ball or because his OLine at Colorado was horrible and he developed bad habits? 

    Both.  Colorado had one of the very worst Olines in the power 5.  

    Sanders also took sacks vs shouldn't have. 

    @tiamat63 said:

    Both.  Colorado had one of the very worst Olines in the power 5.  

    Sanders also took sacks vs shouldn't have. 

    And they had no running game to balance their attack; because of that crappy Oline you speak of.

  • Here’s hoping Dillon can hit his receivers with precision and force, just like uncle Peter taught him to.

  • Well, Gabriel has been said to be a "more athletic Baker Mayfield"... I don't know what Sanders really should be compared to.

    But

    Gabriel has been freaking amazing in college. The stats are just that - amazing.

    https://www.nfl.com/news/2025-nfl-draft-browns-select-oregon-qb-dillon-gabriel-with-no-94-overall-pick

    and his weaknesses per NFL.COM:

    "

    Weaknesses

    • Lacks prototypical size for the position.
    • Passing scheme allows him to work into big, defined windows.
    • Vast majority of 2024 targets were inside of 10 yards, including 25% behind the line, per PFF.
    • Average quickness getting through full-field scans.
    • Sits on intermediate targets too long with his eyes.
    • Ball placement and accuracy isn’t as good as it looks on paper.
    • Lacks arm strength to lead receivers on deep shots off play-action.

    Deep-out and deep-seam throws lose their energy."

    and Sanders' weaknesses are (also per NFL.COM)

    "

    Weaknesses

    • Spacing and clearly defined route combinations make decision-making easier.
    • Drops beyond proper pocket depth and into edge rusher’s path.
    • Throws with a longer operation time.
    • Has completions on tape that will be interceptions in the pros.
    • Inconsistent bringing his lower half through his delivery.
    • Needs to become OK with taking profits and moving on.
    • Appears too confident in his off-platform game despite a lack of zip.
    • Doesn’t offer up much escapability quickness from the pocket.
    • Much too willing to take a big sack instead of throwing it away."

    **********************************************

    that's what nfl.com says, anyways. Should be really cool to see how it plays out. Watching Gabriel play, it did remind me of Mayfield. I never had any idea who Sanders resembles when he played in college.

       Beats me what weaknesses are more a liability in the pros.

    Quick hits - to me, Sanders benefited hugely by having Travis Hunter to throw to.

    https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/travis-hunter-2.html

    Hunter had 96 receptions for 1,298 yards in 2024 alone. Sanders had only 2 rushes for 5 yards in 2024.

    Gabriel did have Tez Johnson, who was drafted in the 7th round by the Bucs, had 83 recptions.

    Looking at the 2024 season results:

    https://www.espn.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/2483/oregon-ducks

    and

    https://www.espn.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/38/colorado-buffaloes

    is interesting. The "Hunter effect" was a very huge part of Sanders' success.

    So, for the fun of it, Sanders' top receiver was a very high first round pick, and Gabriel's top receiver was a 7th round pick.

    So, if I had to pick who would have a better chance in training camp....

        Oh, I have to go fix us some breakfast. Cowboy coffee is the best.

  • Well, Gabriel has been said to be a "more athletic Baker Mayfield"... I don't know what Sanders really should be compared to.

    But

    Gabriel has been freaking amazing in college. The stats are just that - amazing.

    https://www.nfl.com/news/2025-nfl-draft-browns-select-oregon-qb-dillon-gabriel-with-no-94-overall-pick

    and his weaknesses per NFL.COM:

    "

    Weaknesses

    • Lacks prototypical size for the position.
    • Passing scheme allows him to work into big, defined windows.
    • Vast majority of 2024 targets were inside of 10 yards, including 25% behind the line, per PFF.
    • Average quickness getting through full-field scans.
    • Sits on intermediate targets too long with his eyes.
    • Ball placement and accuracy isn’t as good as it looks on paper.
    • Lacks arm strength to lead receivers on deep shots off play-action.

    Deep-out and deep-seam throws lose their energy."

    and Sanders' weaknesses are (also per NFL.COM)

    "

    Weaknesses

    • Spacing and clearly defined route combinations make decision-making easier.
    • Drops beyond proper pocket depth and into edge rusher’s path.
    • Throws with a longer operation time.
    • Has completions on tape that will be interceptions in the pros.
    • Inconsistent bringing his lower half through his delivery.
    • Needs to become OK with taking profits and moving on.
    • Appears too confident in his off-platform game despite a lack of zip.
    • Doesn’t offer up much escapability quickness from the pocket.
    • Much too willing to take a big sack instead of throwing it away."

    **********************************************

    that's what nfl.com says, anyways. Should be really cool to see how it plays out. Watching Gabriel play, it did remind me of Mayfield. I never had any idea who Sanders resembles when he played in college.

       Beats me what weaknesses are more a liability in the pros.

    Quick hits - to me, Sanders benefited hugely by having Travis Hunter to throw to.

    https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/travis-hunter-2.html

    Hunter had 96 receptions for 1,298 yards in 2024 alone. Sanders had only 2 rushes for 5 yards in 2024.

    Gabriel did have Tez Johnson, who was drafted in the 7th round by the Bucs, had 83 recptions.

    Looking at the 2024 season results:

    https://www.espn.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/2483/oregon-ducks

    and

    https://www.espn.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/38/colorado-buffaloes

    is interesting. The "Hunter effect" was a very huge part of Sanders' success.

    So, for the fun of it, Sanders' top receiver was a very high first round pick, and Gabriel's top receiver was a 7th round pick.

    So, if I had to pick who would have a better chance in training camp....

        Oh, I have to go fix us some breakfast. Cowboy coffee is the best.

    @calfoxwc said:

        Oh, I have to go fix us some breakfast. Cowboy coffee is the best.

    Heck yes it is! “I wasn’t born rich l’m good lookin’ instead.”

  • Cowboy coffee is a traditional method of brewing coffee, often used by cowboys on the trail. It involves boiling coarse coffee grounds in water and then pouring the mixture into a cup, allowing the grounds to settle at the bottom.

    *******************

    I put in a handful of ice cubes. Great coffee.

  • Brokeback Calfox has a nice ring to it...