Skip to content

For your Browns Monday morning reading

The Browns Board
114 13 2.5k
  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #35
  • @orion said:

    And somehow, navigating through the season while determining if the team needs to use one or both of it's 1st round picks for a QB next April.  It's nice that Sanders fell to them...but it added an extra layer of complexity to the season.

    Given the state of the QB room, having an extra layer might not be a bad thing.

    It probably won't be as hard as we think.  There are three QB's we need to evaluate. We won't have to give Flacco many reps in camp.  We aren't looking to see what he can do, we know what he can do, it will be more to see what he can't do.  There is a difference between the two.

    It boils down to Pickett, Gabe, and Sanders. Managing that trio shouldn't be that hard.

    Unless someone falls flat, I expect to see 4 qb's on the final roster. If all look good but we decide we just can't keep 4, I expect to see Flacco released. I don't see any of the young QB's clearing waivers in an attempt to get them to the practice squad.

    Joe is a great guy and has had an amazing career, but he holds no long term value.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #36

    @ballpeen said:

    There are three QB's we need to evaluate. We won't have to give Flacco many reps in camp.  We aren't looking to see what he can do, we know what he can do,

    Quite true.  Still though, it has to seem like he gets the same shot at  making the team / being the starter  that everybody else gets.

  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #37
  • @ballpeen said:

    There are three QB's we need to evaluate. We won't have to give Flacco many reps in camp.  We aren't looking to see what he can do, we know what he can do,

    Quite true.  Still though, it has to seem like he gets the same shot at  making the team / being the starter  that everybody else gets.

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #38

    @orion said:

    Quite true.  Still though, it has to seem like he gets the same shot at  making the team / being the starter  that everybody else gets.

    I don't know.  My feeling is that he is the default if things don't go well with the others. I don't think Stefanski or Berry want him to be the starter.  It makes no sense if they do.

  • @orion said:

    Quite true.  Still though, it has to seem like he gets the same shot at  making the team / being the starter  that everybody else gets.

    I don't know.  My feeling is that he is the default if things don't go well with the others. I don't think Stefanski or Berry want him to be the starter.  It makes no sense if they do.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #39

    @ballpeen said:

    I don't know.  My feeling is that he is the default if things don't go well with the others. I don't think Stefanski or Berry want him to be the starter.  It makes no sense if they do.

    Have they ever figured out what it was specifically about Watson that was so desperately needed here by them that they guaranteed him 230 million $ and gave up 3 consecutive 1st round draft picks?  Did they ever watch film to identify why specifically he was THEIR game changer?  They were still hiring new offensive coaches going into his 3rd season here to figure out what they needed.  Seems like if they knew specifically why he was their guy - setting up the right offense would have barrowed stuff Houston did with him when they made 2 post seasons and beat Josh Allen head to head in 1 of them in the closing minute.  He made 3 Pro Bowls in that offense.  Stefanski had HIS offense he brought from Minnesota that counted on timing.  That wasn't the old offense in Minnesota where Fran Trankenton scrambled and improvised all the time that worked way better when Bud Grant was the HC; than before that when Norm Van Brocklin was all about timing and precision via QB getting the ball out of his hands in the pocket.  In essence, Stefanski is more of a Van Brocklin mindset which isn't bad at all if your QB is wired to be this type of QB.  Van Brocklin made the HOF as QB the excelled in that type of passing game he wanted to rewire Fran Tarkenton for.  In football skillset only, Watson was like a Tarkenton improvising by scrambling all over the place in search of the guy breaking loose downfield.  Nobody knew this when they went to the lengths they went to in order to sign him?

    THAT is what scares me about the QB position with 1 exception.  I'm holding out hope on 1 thing. This time they have Tommy Rees in tact as our OC for his input on the QB candidates here for 2025 and maybe thereafter.  If they're bringing in square pegs for round holes - it's not gonna work.  If they're bringing in guys they think are ideal pocket QBs that will get throws out of their hands in time to be accurate - this can be a QB competition this franchise needs.

    We shall see...

  • @ballpeen said:

    I don't know.  My feeling is that he is the default if things don't go well with the others. I don't think Stefanski or Berry want him to be the starter.  It makes no sense if they do.

    Have they ever figured out what it was specifically about Watson that was so desperately needed here by them that they guaranteed him 230 million $ and gave up 3 consecutive 1st round draft picks?  Did they ever watch film to identify why specifically he was THEIR game changer?  They were still hiring new offensive coaches going into his 3rd season here to figure out what they needed.  Seems like if they knew specifically why he was their guy - setting up the right offense would have barrowed stuff Houston did with him when they made 2 post seasons and beat Josh Allen head to head in 1 of them in the closing minute.  He made 3 Pro Bowls in that offense.  Stefanski had HIS offense he brought from Minnesota that counted on timing.  That wasn't the old offense in Minnesota where Fran Trankenton scrambled and improvised all the time that worked way better when Bud Grant was the HC; than before that when Norm Van Brocklin was all about timing and precision via QB getting the ball out of his hands in the pocket.  In essence, Stefanski is more of a Van Brocklin mindset which isn't bad at all if your QB is wired to be this type of QB.  Van Brocklin made the HOF as QB the excelled in that type of passing game he wanted to rewire Fran Tarkenton for.  In football skillset only, Watson was like a Tarkenton improvising by scrambling all over the place in search of the guy breaking loose downfield.  Nobody knew this when they went to the lengths they went to in order to sign him?

    THAT is what scares me about the QB position with 1 exception.  I'm holding out hope on 1 thing. This time they have Tommy Rees in tact as our OC for his input on the QB candidates here for 2025 and maybe thereafter.  If they're bringing in square pegs for round holes - it's not gonna work.  If they're bringing in guys they think are ideal pocket QBs that will get throws out of their hands in time to be accurate - this can be a QB competition this franchise needs.

    We shall see...

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #40

    @flugel said:

    We shall see...

    ????

  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #41
  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #42

    @syd said:

    Fannis, Jr. is no surprise. I expect big things from him this season.

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by Dutch Oven
    #43

    @texasag1969 said:

    Fannis, Jr. is no surprise. I expect big things from him this season.

    Considering where he was drafted, value-wise he might be my favorite draft pick… plus he comes from the same county I live in.

  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by
    #44
  • JaxJ Jax wrote on last edited by
    #45

    Imagine getting through this season where one of our younger QBs step up to be franchise gold while sitting on 2 1st round picks we wouldn't need to spend on another QB.

  • JaxJ Jax

    Imagine getting through this season where one of our younger QBs step up to be franchise gold while sitting on 2 1st round picks we wouldn't need to spend on another QB.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #46

    @jax said:

    Imagine getting through this season where one of our younger QBs step up to be franchise gold while sitting on 2 1st round picks we wouldn't need to spend on another QB.

    And imagine if a slimmed down Dawand Jones stayed healthy and grabbed hold of the left tackle position for the rest of the decade… 

    The possibilities for those two first rounders would be endless if QB and LT were already filled in-house.

  • @jax said:

    Imagine getting through this season where one of our younger QBs step up to be franchise gold while sitting on 2 1st round picks we wouldn't need to spend on another QB.

    And imagine if a slimmed down Dawand Jones stayed healthy and grabbed hold of the left tackle position for the rest of the decade… 

    The possibilities for those two first rounders would be endless if QB and LT were already filled in-house.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #47

    @dutch-oven said:

    @jax said:

    Imagine getting through this season where one of our younger QBs step up to be franchise gold while sitting on 2 1st round picks we wouldn't need to spend on another QB.

    And imagine if a slimmed down Dawand Jones stayed healthy and grabbed hold of the left tackle position for the rest of the decade…

    You may say I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope some day you'll join us
    And the world will live as one

  • JaxJ Jax

    Imagine getting through this season where one of our younger QBs step up to be franchise gold while sitting on 2 1st round picks we wouldn't need to spend on another QB.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #48

    @jax said:

    Imagine getting through this season where one of our younger QBs step up to be franchise gold while sitting on 2 1st round picks we wouldn't need to spend on another QB.

    I think we'd then do what Browns do..................................draft the Everly Brothers to fulfill the Browns' "Dream". I mean how else could we remain Dee's "Clowns". Here they cooooome their Dee Dee's Clowns.

  • JaxJ Jax wrote on last edited by
    #49

    I thought we had a pretty good draft season this year...

  • JaxJ Jax

    I thought we had a pretty good draft season this year...

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #50

    @jax said:

    I thought we had a pretty good draft season this year...

    The job of acquiring extra picks was well done.  Some will question the Gabriel pick as being too early.  But that aside, every player taken was thought of as a talented player.  And at important positions of need.  It's awfully hard to complain about our draft the way things look here in June.  BUT, if one just HAD to complain... 🙂 ...we drafted 2 RB's & QB's.  If we had put one of each back on the shelf and picked a WR and a Safety....well, that woulda' coulda' mighta' been great.  

  • @jax said:

    I thought we had a pretty good draft season this year...

    The job of acquiring extra picks was well done.  Some will question the Gabriel pick as being too early.  But that aside, every player taken was thought of as a talented player.  And at important positions of need.  It's awfully hard to complain about our draft the way things look here in June.  BUT, if one just HAD to complain... 🙂 ...we drafted 2 RB's & QB's.  If we had put one of each back on the shelf and picked a WR and a Safety....well, that woulda' coulda' mighta' been great.  

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #51

    @orion said:

    The job of acquiring extra picks was well done.  Some will question the Gabriel pick as being too early.  But that aside, every player taken was thought of as a talented player.  And at important positions of need.  It's awfully hard to complain about our draft the way things look here in June.  BUT, if one just HAD to complain... 🙂 ...we drafted 2 RB's & QB's.  If we had put one of each back on the shelf and picked a WR and a Safety....well, that woulda' coulda' mighta' been great.  

    Given what we knew about Chubb and the limitations of Ford, which are the strengths of the two RBs, Gabriel was the only one ida dropped. Then we coulda' taken that safety or WR.

  • @orion said:

    The job of acquiring extra picks was well done.  Some will question the Gabriel pick as being too early.  But that aside, every player taken was thought of as a talented player.  And at important positions of need.  It's awfully hard to complain about our draft the way things look here in June.  BUT, if one just HAD to complain... 🙂 ...we drafted 2 RB's & QB's.  If we had put one of each back on the shelf and picked a WR and a Safety....well, that woulda' coulda' mighta' been great.  

    Given what we knew about Chubb and the limitations of Ford, which are the strengths of the two RBs, Gabriel was the only one ida dropped. Then we coulda' taken that safety or WR.

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #52

    @texasag1969 said:

    Given what we knew about Chubb and the limitations of Ford, which are the strengths of the two RBs, Gabriel was the only one ida dropped. Then we coulda' taken that safety or WR.

    I really like all the position players the Browns drafted, and Sanders in the 5th round could very well be an absolute steal. DG is the head scratcher... I didn't like the pick when it happened, really didn't like the pick after they chose Sanders. 

    An OLineman would have been nice there too. I listed a short list somewhere of guys I liked that were available, like Ohio State's Cody Simon and Jack Sawyer, and the safety from Notre Dame off the top of my head. 

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Given what we knew about Chubb and the limitations of Ford, which are the strengths of the two RBs, Gabriel was the only one ida dropped. Then we coulda' taken that safety or WR.

    I really like all the position players the Browns drafted, and Sanders in the 5th round could very well be an absolute steal. DG is the head scratcher... I didn't like the pick when it happened, really didn't like the pick after they chose Sanders. 

    An OLineman would have been nice there too. I listed a short list somewhere of guys I liked that were available, like Ohio State's Cody Simon and Jack Sawyer, and the safety from Notre Dame off the top of my head. 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #53

    @dutch-oven said:

    I really like all the position players the Browns drafted, and Sanders in the 5th round could very well be an absolute steal. DG is the head scratcher... I didn't like the pick when it happened, really didn't like the pick after they chose Sanders. 

    An OLineman would have been nice there too. I listed a short list somewhere of guys I liked that were available, like Ohio State's Cody Simon and Jack Sawyer, and the safety from Notre Dame off the top of my head. 

    Yeah, we coulda' used any of those guys.  ( I forgot to mention OL )  I didn't like the pick because he's short.  I just don't like short QB's.  Put him side by side with Flacco and he looks like he could be Joe's son that hasn't got his driver's license yet.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Given what we knew about Chubb and the limitations of Ford, which are the strengths of the two RBs, Gabriel was the only one ida dropped. Then we coulda' taken that safety or WR.

    I really like all the position players the Browns drafted, and Sanders in the 5th round could very well be an absolute steal. DG is the head scratcher... I didn't like the pick when it happened, really didn't like the pick after they chose Sanders. 

    An OLineman would have been nice there too. I listed a short list somewhere of guys I liked that were available, like Ohio State's Cody Simon and Jack Sawyer, and the safety from Notre Dame off the top of my head. 

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #54

    @dutch-oven said:

    I really like all the position players the Browns drafted, and Sanders in the 5th round could very well be an absolute steal. DG is the head scratcher... I didn't like the pick when it happened, really didn't like the pick after they chose Sanders. 

    An OLineman would have been nice there too. I listed a short list somewhere of guys I liked that were available, like Ohio State's Cody Simon and Jack Sawyer, and the safety from Notre Dame off the top of my head. 

    I like the ND safety too. Never got DG and still don't. Especially that high. But he's still better than the two we had last year excluding Watson. If they had chosen them in reverse order it would have made more sense. But overall I still like the DT, TE and the TE very, very much. I just don't know enough about the UCLA LB. Never saw him play like I did the others. Fannin,Jr made me sit up in my seat at the game. Every time we'd set those guys back he'd find a way to bail them out on 3rd and long. It was truly amazin'.