Could the NFL Learn from the NBA?
-
It will go to 18.
I would go to 3 bye weeks.
Two regular bye weeks and 1 league wide bye week.
For the regular bye weeks, those would fall weeks 4 and 5 and then weeks 14-15. One conference would be off one of the weeks, the other the next week. You might have to switch a couple of teams in each conference so network contracts could be fulfilled. Forget this stretching bye's out over a protracted period of time. Make it the same for everybody.
The league wide shut down would be after week 9. Just like an all-star break in all the other sports. During that week, work with the NCAA to play a couple of key games on Sunday to fill the football fix for the fans. If not, do it like the regular byes.
I would favor the league wide bye.
It will go to 18.
I would go to 3 bye weeks.
Two regular bye weeks and 1 league wide bye week.
For the regular bye weeks, those would fall weeks 4 and 5 and then weeks 14-15. One conference would be off one of the weeks, the other the next week. You might have to switch a couple of teams in each conference so network contracts could be fulfilled. Forget this stretching bye's out over a protracted period of time. Make it the same for everybody.
The league wide shut down would be after week 9. Just like an all-star break in all the other sports. During that week, work with the NCAA to play a couple of key games on Sunday to fill the football fix for the fans. If not, do it like the regular byes.
I would favor the league wide bye.
This is very sound.
-
Speaking of the 14 game seasons, do any of you old timers remember when the Super Bowl champs that year would play the college all stars?
Don’t think the college all star team ever won a game, but it probably was a good measure of how future NFL players fared against the pros.
I think it would be cool to bring that back, provided the return of a 14 game season.
I would watch that. Never gonna happen though.Speaking of the 14 game seasons, do any of you old timers remember when the Super Bowl champs that year would play the college all stars?
Don’t think the college all star team ever won a game, but it probably was a good measure of how future NFL players fared against the pros.
I think it would be cool to bring that back, provided the return of a 14 game season.
I would watch that. Never gonna happen though.The college guys won 7-8 games. They played that game up in to the mid 70's. I remember one in the mid/early 60's. My dad, brother, and I kept raving about this kid named Butkus. He was killing people everywhere.
-
Speaking of the 14 game seasons, do any of you old timers remember when the Super Bowl champs that year would play the college all stars?
Don’t think the college all star team ever won a game, but it probably was a good measure of how future NFL players fared against the pros.
I think it would be cool to bring that back, provided the return of a 14 game season.
I would watch that. Never gonna happen though.The college guys won 7-8 games. They played that game up in to the mid 70's. I remember one in the mid/early 60's. My dad, brother, and I kept raving about this kid named Butkus. He was killing people everywhere.
The college guys won 7-8 games. They played that game up in to the mid 70's. I remember one in the mid/early 60's. My dad, brother, and I kept raving about this kid named Butkus. He was killing people everywhere.
You know what's really sad? Both Butkus and Sayers were drafted in the 1st round of the 1965 draft by the Chicago Bears before they were inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame after their careers. Obviously that's not the sad part. That franchise never even made the playoffs once throughout their tenures in Chicago.
I always think about the 1978 draft when the Browns draft Alabama WR Ozzie Newsome and USC LBer Clay Matthews. Ozzie went on to become a HOF TE here while Clay played every single LBer position in the 4-3 and 3-4 at least once in his career. These guys were very important leaders by example. to our 80s teams that frequented the playoffs more than any other decade that followed.
At a Browns Backers Banquet in Rochester NY Former Brown & guest speaker Joe DeLamielleure was asked who was the toughest opponent you ever faced. Without hesitation, he said Clay Matthews. He was the meanest SOB I ever had to deal with on a football field. He went on to laugh and say something along the line of don't let that calm looking, relaxed demeanor fool you. That guy is all about compete to beat. He reminded people that when the Browns had a brawl vrs the Houston Oilers in the Astrodome - Clay and his brother were squaring off against each other...
-
Money is the be all and end all
They will just have bigger rosters in the end
Money is the be all and end all
They will just have bigger rosters in the end
Well said LB! They should do that now with the roster size. The shared revenue for owners from Sunday Ticket Monopoly is making owners wealthier than ever.
That's why they're playing games in other countries to expand that viewing audience per your point $ is the be all end all.
-
That's actually a very reasonable situation. I like the week wide bye, but I'm not sure the NFL would want to be "offline" one while weekend during their season.
That is why I said it may need to be league wide minus maybe 6 teams so you could have the 2 afternoon games and the Sunday night.
That way every team gets a bye pretty much at the half way point of the full season and near the half way point of each half season....if that makes sense.
That is why I said it may need to be league wide minus maybe 6 teams so you could have the 2 afternoon games and the Sunday night.
That way every team gets a bye pretty much at the half way point of the full season and near the half way point of each half season....if that makes sense.
You made it make sense. Nice job with that!
-
-
Somewhere a village is missing it’s nickers.
-
-
No... Both leagues are "WOKE" enough as it is... It's almost becoming unwatchable...
I thought "WOKE" was an insult for adult Michigan fans that like to watch the Barbie Doll movie. I wuz WRONG!
If I find out avid Missedagain fan Bob Seger does that - things are getting way too weird for comfort...
-
No... Both leagues are "WOKE" enough as it is... It's almost becoming unwatchable...
I thought "WOKE" was an insult for adult Michigan fans that like to watch the Barbie Doll movie. I wuz WRONG!
If I find out avid Missedagain fan Bob Seger does that - things are getting way too weird for comfort...
-
-
It will go to 18.
I would go to 3 bye weeks.
Two regular bye weeks and 1 league wide bye week.
For the regular bye weeks, those would fall weeks 4 and 5 and then weeks 14-15. One conference would be off one of the weeks, the other the next week. You might have to switch a couple of teams in each conference so network contracts could be fulfilled. Forget this stretching bye's out over a protracted period of time. Make it the same for everybody.
The league wide shut down would be after week 9. Just like an all-star break in all the other sports. During that week, work with the NCAA to play a couple of key games on Sunday to fill the football fix for the fans. If not, do it like the regular byes.
I would favor the league wide bye.
It will go to 18.
I would go to 3 bye weeks.
Two regular bye weeks and 1 league wide bye week.
For the regular bye weeks, those would fall weeks 4 and 5 and then weeks 14-15. One conference would be off one of the weeks, the other the next week. You might have to switch a couple of teams in each conference so network contracts could be fulfilled. Forget this stretching bye's out over a protracted period of time. Make it the same for everybody.
The league wide shut down would be after week 9. Just like an all-star break in all the other sports. During that week, work with the NCAA to play a couple of key games on Sunday to fill the football fix for the fans. If not, do it like the regular byes.
I would favor the league wide bye.
League wide bye makes sense when (not if) the season's extended to 18 games.
-
Not too long ago the NFL Commish said he could see the NFL Regular season stretching to 18 games. That said, I'm watching a lot key players in the NBA playoffs not surviving the playoffs after their regular season marathon. Yesterday, Boston's Jayson Tatum went down with a possible achilles tendon tear but that isn't official just yet. The Cavs' Donovan Mitchell is battling an ankle injury that keeps getting re-aggravated; while Golden State's Stephen Curry has been dealing with hamstring injury.
These are all key guys where teams can only play 5 guys at a time. Losing their star player of the 5 is an impact, which is the case with Boston, Cleveland and Golden State right now.
In the NFL, as it is - TJ Watt seems flat line when the playoffs start. He gives it his all in the regular season; but the wear and tear on the body over 17 games isn't always merciful to the body. He didn't even suit up in the wild card game at Buffalo a couple years ago. Playoffs is supposed to be when you rev it up a notch; but you have to be healthy to do so.
As a fan - I don't want 18 games. The weather in the Great Lakes climates doesn't invite wide open balanced attacks; although Jameis Winston would probably give that a "oh yeah?"
That's just my dumb take - I'd be interested in hearing what you all think about the possibility ahead of going to an 18 game regular season and why...
Not too long ago the NFL Commish said he could see the NFL Regular season stretching to 18 games. That said, I'm watching a lot key players in the NBA playoffs not surviving the playoffs after their regular season marathon. Yesterday, Boston's Jayson Tatum went down with a possible achilles tendon tear but that isn't official just yet. The Cavs' Donovan Mitchell is battling an ankle injury that keeps getting re-aggravated; while Golden State's Stephen Curry has been dealing with hamstring injury.
These are all key guys where teams can only play 5 guys at a time. Losing their star player of the 5 is an impact, which is the case with Boston, Cleveland and Golden State right now.
In the NFL, as it is - TJ Watt seems flat line when the playoffs start. He gives it his all in the regular season; but the wear and tear on the body over 17 games isn't always merciful to the body. He didn't even suit up in the wild card game at Buffalo a couple years ago. Playoffs is supposed to be when you rev it up a notch; but you have to be healthy to do so.
As a fan - I don't want 18 games. The weather in the Great Lakes climates doesn't invite wide open balanced attacks; although Jameis Winston would probably give that a "oh yeah?"
That's just my dumb take - I'd be interested in hearing what you all think about the possibility ahead of going to an 18 game regular season and why...
Donovan as a starter had one of the lowest average minutes/game in the season for a starter. Injuries are just freaky in timing not really wear and tear in his case. Tatum has been fairly healthy in his professional career so just bad luck in timing. Steph is getting older and injuries are more prevalent at that age.
NFL is different so the risk of injuries increases with the duration of the season but unfortunately money rules the NFL not player safety.
-
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login