Skip to content

Could the NFL Learn from the NBA?

The Browns Board
26 13 738 1
  • @mld-woody said:

    That's actually a very reasonable situation. I like the week wide bye, but I'm not sure the NFL would want to be "offline" one while weekend during their season. 

    That is why I said it may need to be league wide minus maybe 6 teams so you could have the 2 afternoon games and the Sunday night.

    That way every team gets a bye pretty much at the half way point of the full season and near the half way point of each half season....if that makes sense.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #17

    @ballpeen said:

    That is why I said it may need to be league wide minus maybe 6 teams so you could have the 2 afternoon games and the Sunday night.

    That way every team gets a bye pretty much at the half way point of the full season and near the half way point of each half season....if that makes sense.

    You made it make sense. Nice job with that!

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #18

    No... Both leagues are "WOKE" enough as it is... It's almost becoming unwatchable...

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by Dutch Oven
    #19

    Somewhere a village is missing it’s nickers. 

  • No... Both leagues are "WOKE" enough as it is... It's almost becoming unwatchable...

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @nickers said:

    No... Both leagues are "WOKE" enough as it is... It's almost becoming unwatchable...

    Ah, Ah, Ah...........................................Jurassic Park.

  • No... Both leagues are "WOKE" enough as it is... It's almost becoming unwatchable...

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @nickers said:

    No... Both leagues are "WOKE" enough as it is... It's almost becoming unwatchable...

    I thought "WOKE" was an insult for adult Michigan fans that like to watch the Barbie Doll movie.  I wuz WRONG!   

    If I find out avid Missedagain fan Bob Seger does that - things are getting way too weird for comfort...

  • @nickers said:

    No... Both leagues are "WOKE" enough as it is... It's almost becoming unwatchable...

    I thought "WOKE" was an insult for adult Michigan fans that like to watch the Barbie Doll movie.  I wuz WRONG!   

    If I find out avid Missedagain fan Bob Seger does that - things are getting way too weird for comfort...

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @flugel said:

    I thought "WOKE" was an insult for adult Michigan fans that like to watch the Barbie Doll movie.  I wuz WRONG!   

    If I find out avid Missedagain fan Bob Seger does that - things are getting way too weird for comfort...

    I always loved the moniker "Bitchagain"

  • @flugel said:

    I thought "WOKE" was an insult for adult Michigan fans that like to watch the Barbie Doll movie.  I wuz WRONG!   

    If I find out avid Missedagain fan Bob Seger does that - things are getting way too weird for comfort...

    I always loved the moniker "Bitchagain"

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #23

    @nickers said:

    I always loved the moniker "Bitchagain"

    ? Nothing wrong with that!   On the other hand, Woody calls them X2C.

  • It will go to 18.

    I would go to 3 bye weeks.

    Two regular bye weeks and 1 league wide bye week.

    For the regular bye weeks, those would fall weeks 4 and 5 and then weeks 14-15.  One conference would be off one of the weeks, the other the next week. You might have to switch a couple of teams in each conference so network contracts could be fulfilled. Forget this stretching bye's out over a protracted period of time. Make it the same for everybody.

    The league wide shut down would be after week 9.  Just like an all-star break in all the other sports. During that week, work with the NCAA to play a couple of key games on Sunday to fill the football fix for the fans.  If not, do it like the regular byes.  

    I would favor the league wide bye.

    M MDDawg wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @ballpeen said:

    It will go to 18.

    I would go to 3 bye weeks.

    Two regular bye weeks and 1 league wide bye week.

    For the regular bye weeks, those would fall weeks 4 and 5 and then weeks 14-15.  One conference would be off one of the weeks, the other the next week. You might have to switch a couple of teams in each conference so network contracts could be fulfilled. Forget this stretching bye's out over a protracted period of time. Make it the same for everybody.

    The league wide shut down would be after week 9.  Just like an all-star break in all the other sports. During that week, work with the NCAA to play a couple of key games on Sunday to fill the football fix for the fans.  If not, do it like the regular byes.  

    I would favor the league wide bye.

    League wide bye makes sense when (not if) the season's extended to 18 games.

  • Not too long ago the NFL Commish said he could see the NFL Regular season stretching to 18 games.  That said, I'm watching a lot key players in the NBA playoffs not surviving the playoffs after their regular season marathon.  Yesterday, Boston's Jayson Tatum went down with a possible achilles tendon tear but that isn't official just yet.  The Cavs' Donovan Mitchell is battling an ankle injury that keeps getting re-aggravated; while Golden State's Stephen Curry has been dealing with hamstring injury.

    These are all key guys where teams can only play 5 guys at a time.  Losing their star player of the 5 is an impact, which is the case with Boston, Cleveland and Golden State right now.

    In the NFL, as it is - TJ Watt seems flat line when the playoffs start. He gives it his all in the regular season; but the wear and tear on the body over 17 games isn't always merciful to the body.  He didn't even suit up in the wild card game at Buffalo a couple years ago.  Playoffs is supposed to be when you rev it up a notch; but you have to be healthy to do so.

    As a fan - I don't want 18 games.  The weather in the Great Lakes climates doesn't invite wide open balanced attacks; although Jameis Winston would probably give that a "oh yeah?" 

    That's just my dumb take - I'd be interested in hearing what you all think about the possibility ahead of going to an 18 game regular season and why...

    M MDDawg wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @flugel said:

    Not too long ago the NFL Commish said he could see the NFL Regular season stretching to 18 games.  That said, I'm watching a lot key players in the NBA playoffs not surviving the playoffs after their regular season marathon.  Yesterday, Boston's Jayson Tatum went down with a possible achilles tendon tear but that isn't official just yet.  The Cavs' Donovan Mitchell is battling an ankle injury that keeps getting re-aggravated; while Golden State's Stephen Curry has been dealing with hamstring injury.

    These are all key guys where teams can only play 5 guys at a time.  Losing their star player of the 5 is an impact, which is the case with Boston, Cleveland and Golden State right now.

    In the NFL, as it is - TJ Watt seems flat line when the playoffs start. He gives it his all in the regular season; but the wear and tear on the body over 17 games isn't always merciful to the body.  He didn't even suit up in the wild card game at Buffalo a couple years ago.  Playoffs is supposed to be when you rev it up a notch; but you have to be healthy to do so.

    As a fan - I don't want 18 games.  The weather in the Great Lakes climates doesn't invite wide open balanced attacks; although Jameis Winston would probably give that a "oh yeah?" 

    That's just my dumb take - I'd be interested in hearing what you all think about the possibility ahead of going to an 18 game regular season and why...

    Donovan as a starter had one of the lowest average minutes/game in the season for a starter. Injuries are just freaky in timing not really wear and tear in his case. Tatum has been fairly healthy in his professional career so just bad luck in timing. Steph is getting older and injuries are more prevalent at that age.

    NFL is different so the risk of injuries increases with the duration of the season but unfortunately money rules the NFL not player safety.

  • @nickers said:

    I always loved the moniker "Bitchagain"

    ? Nothing wrong with that!   On the other hand, Woody calls them X2C.

    Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @flugel said:

    ? Nothing wrong with that!   On the other hand, Woody calls them X2C*

    You forgot the asterisk!