Surviving Ohio State Documentary
-
I watched it and I followed the story and until this documentary didn’t know the digusting details.
A little background here. I attended wrestling camp at OSU in and around the late 90s and I attended Jim’s brother Jeff Jordan Camp back in the late 90s in small town Urbana OH as well. Jim was clinician for a day. Excellent instructor hard nosed dude very cerebral. I wrestled D1 early 00s in college wasn’t good enough to go to OSU. Around my time Hellickson wasn’t a very personable guy he did some camps at area HS just seemed like an old school prick for even that time. OSU team had a strange composition while Ohio was a hotbed had a lot of out of state guys in their program.
the documentary nailed the machismo attitude mindset of wrestling and that attitude doesn’t lineup necessarily with 20 years of church mouse quiet don’t say a peep. Today I can spot a wrestler not just by cauliflower ear but the way they handle BS put at them.
We had very brief physical in my day we did our skin check somewhat on our own unless we found something (staph, ringworm impetigo, herpes) and in fact we had a hydration test that required proof that we were placing a specimen (pee) in a cup and a doctor never followed us in the stall. Steroids were common and I imagine those in charge had an idea who was taking. I can’t for the life of me even 18-22 year old me allowing someone to handle me like the doctor did and while the prevailing attitude in documentary “we were on scholarship and couldn’t do anything about it” wrestling programs had 9.9 scholarships back in that time you had 5/6 full ride blue chippers and then about 10 others getting partial money and 15 other walk ons paying their way. So 20 years of walk ons and none of those guys felt compelled to say something or a transfer wouldn’t make waves? Makes me almost believe there were many others that stepped forward but were hushed or ignored.
Now having said that Jim should have done more Russ Hellickson should have done a lot more and kicked the doctors ass and the supervisor from 93-95 is an absolute lazy morally bankrupt digusting turd.
I watched it and I followed the story and until this documentary didn’t know the digusting details.
A little background here. I attended wrestling camp at OSU in and around the late 90s and I attended Jim’s brother Jeff Jordan Camp back in the late 90s in small town Urbana OH as well. Jim was clinician for a day. Excellent instructor hard nosed dude very cerebral. I wrestled D1 early 00s in college wasn’t good enough to go to OSU. Around my time Hellickson wasn’t a very personable guy he did some camps at area HS just seemed like an old school prick for even that time. OSU team had a strange composition while Ohio was a hotbed had a lot of out of state guys in their program.
the documentary nailed the machismo attitude mindset of wrestling and that attitude doesn’t lineup necessarily with 20 years of church mouse quiet don’t say a peep. Today I can spot a wrestler not just by cauliflower ear but the way they handle BS put at them.
We had very brief physical in my day we did our skin check somewhat on our own unless we found something (staph, ringworm impetigo, herpes) and in fact we had a hydration test that required proof that we were placing a specimen (pee) in a cup and a doctor never followed us in the stall. Steroids were common and I imagine those in charge had an idea who was taking. I can’t for the life of me even 18-22 year old me allowing someone to handle me like the doctor did and while the prevailing attitude in documentary “we were on scholarship and couldn’t do anything about it” wrestling programs had 9.9 scholarships back in that time you had 5/6 full ride blue chippers and then about 10 others getting partial money and 15 other walk ons paying their way. So 20 years of walk ons and none of those guys felt compelled to say something or a transfer wouldn’t make waves? Makes me almost believe there were many others that stepped forward but were hushed or ignored.
Now having said that Jim should have done more Russ Hellickson should have done a lot more and kicked the doctors ass and the supervisor from 93-95 is an absolute lazy morally bankrupt disgusting turd.
Great post! Really appreciate you sharing your experience with wrestling in Ohio and your insights as a former DI College Wrestler in terms of what those 18-22 year old kids were up against.
IMO, both of those coaches should have been hung by their balls. The problem with that is neither one of them had any balls to begin with...
-
I watched it and I followed the story and until this documentary didn’t know the digusting details.
A little background here. I attended wrestling camp at OSU in and around the late 90s and I attended Jim’s brother Jeff Jordan Camp back in the late 90s in small town Urbana OH as well. Jim was clinician for a day. Excellent instructor hard nosed dude very cerebral. I wrestled D1 early 00s in college wasn’t good enough to go to OSU. Around my time Hellickson wasn’t a very personable guy he did some camps at area HS just seemed like an old school prick for even that time. OSU team had a strange composition while Ohio was a hotbed had a lot of out of state guys in their program.
the documentary nailed the machismo attitude mindset of wrestling and that attitude doesn’t lineup necessarily with 20 years of church mouse quiet don’t say a peep. Today I can spot a wrestler not just by cauliflower ear but the way they handle BS put at them.
We had very brief physical in my day we did our skin check somewhat on our own unless we found something (staph, ringworm impetigo, herpes) and in fact we had a hydration test that required proof that we were placing a specimen (pee) in a cup and a doctor never followed us in the stall. Steroids were common and I imagine those in charge had an idea who was taking. I can’t for the life of me even 18-22 year old me allowing someone to handle me like the doctor did and while the prevailing attitude in documentary “we were on scholarship and couldn’t do anything about it” wrestling programs had 9.9 scholarships back in that time you had 5/6 full ride blue chippers and then about 10 others getting partial money and 15 other walk ons paying their way. So 20 years of walk ons and none of those guys felt compelled to say something or a transfer wouldn’t make waves? Makes me almost believe there were many others that stepped forward but were hushed or ignored.
Now having said that Jim should have done more Russ Hellickson should have done a lot more and kicked the doctors ass and the supervisor from 93-95 is an absolute lazy morally bankrupt disgusting turd.
Great post! Really appreciate you sharing your experience with wrestling in Ohio and your insights as a former DI College Wrestler in terms of what those 18-22 year old kids were up against.
IMO, both of those coaches should have been hung by their balls. The problem with that is neither one of them had any balls to begin with...
Great post! Really appreciate you sharing your experience with wrestling in Ohio and your insights as a former DI College Wrestler in terms of what those 18-22 year old kids were up against.
IMO, both of those coaches should have been hung by their balls. The problem with that is neither one of them had any balls to begin with...
Maybe an unpopular opinion but assistant coach reporting behavior to next in command and if nothing is done you resign but before this the doctor is a takedown dummy for swift Justice. And Jim could mangle someone. After that you tell the authorities.
Hellickson an older wiser adult making one comment and doing nothing after that - he’s in charge of the program that’s unacceptable.
At 18-22 I went to my coaches for weight cutting advice and that advice wasn’t good, wrestling technique and if I had a lab and had to miss a non mandatory practice.
after an elbow to the orbital my first call would be to my dad.
It is hard to say if you aren’t put in that spot but I truly believe there were more reporters especially wrestlers with nothing to lose and probably a coverup not even reported so hanging by balls Justice - yes.
-
In "Not" Surviving Ohio State news, ex-Buckeye OTackle Kirk Barton - from Stark County's Perry - was drunk last weekend and killed a 24 year old in the Columbus suburb of Dublin. Apparently this was not his first DUI. He had to go in front of a judge today charged with vehicular manslaughter.
He and another dude ran a popular Ohio State football podcast "Buckeye Scoop" which I watched for a bit, but ol' Kirk was a bit too red hat for me so I switched to Buckeye Huddle, which I definitely recommend for Buckeye football news.
-
In "Not" Surviving Ohio State news, ex-Buckeye OTackle Kirk Barton - from Stark County's Perry - was drunk last weekend and killed a 24 year old in the Columbus suburb of Dublin. Apparently this was not his first DUI. He had to go in front of a judge today charged with vehicular manslaughter.
He and another dude ran a popular Ohio State football podcast "Buckeye Scoop" which I watched for a bit, but ol' Kirk was a bit too red hat for me so I switched to Buckeye Huddle, which I definitely recommend for Buckeye football news.
In "Not" Surviving Ohio State news, ex-Buckeye OTackle Kirk Barton - from Stark County's Perry - was drunk last weekend and killed a 24 year old in the Columbus suburb of Dublin. Apparently this was not his first DUI. He had to go in front of a judge today charged with vehicular manslaughter.
He and another dude ran a popular Ohio State football podcast "Buckeye Scoop" which I watched for a bit, but ol' Kirk was a bit too red hat for me so I switched to Buckeye Huddle, which I definitely recommend for Buckeye football news.
Ouch! In other news, yesterday's Cease-fire already ceased in the Middle East. It might have helped if both sides actually knew there was one to begin with...
-
In "Not" Surviving Ohio State news, ex-Buckeye OTackle Kirk Barton - from Stark County's Perry - was drunk last weekend and killed a 24 year old in the Columbus suburb of Dublin. Apparently this was not his first DUI. He had to go in front of a judge today charged with vehicular manslaughter.
He and another dude ran a popular Ohio State football podcast "Buckeye Scoop" which I watched for a bit, but ol' Kirk was a bit too red hat for me so I switched to Buckeye Huddle, which I definitely recommend for Buckeye football news.
Ouch! In other news, yesterday's Cease-fire already ceased in the Middle East. It might have helped if both sides actually knew there was one to begin with...
-
No worries... we are definitely in good hands ?
Yep, a 22 y.o. in charge of what's left of our decimated "National Security". I feel safe don't you? ?
-
No worries... we are definitely in good hands ?
Yep, a 22 y.o. in charge of what's left of our decimated "National Security". I feel safe don't you? ?
Yep, a 22 y.o. in charge of what's left of our decimated "National Security". I feel safe don't you? ?
Well you’ll always have your safe space you big brave soldja.
-
No worries... we are definitely in good hands ?
Allstate sucks. That better be the what the fuck you’re talking about big boy.
You are not worthy of walking amongst these guys.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/DLQzsNLMkbj/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet
-
No worries... we are definitely in good hands ?
Allstate sucks. That better be the what the fuck you’re talking about big boy.
You are not worthy of walking amongst these guys.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/DLQzsNLMkbj/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet
Allstate sucks. That better be the what the fuck you’re talking about big boy.
You are not worthy of walking amongst these guys.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/DLQzsNLMkbj/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet
Look who came out from the rock he hides under in his safe space on the poliboard and is talking big while hiding behind your laptop once again…
Unless you want to back up your threat in person?
-
Yep, a 22 y.o. in charge of what's left of our decimated "National Security". I feel safe don't you? ?
Well you’ll always have your safe space you big brave soldja.
Well you’ll always have your safe space you big brave soldja.
"They're trying to kill me," Yossarian told him calmly. "No one's trying to kill you," Clevinger cried. "Then why are they shooting at me?" Yossarian asked.
"They're shooting at everyone." Clevinger answered. "They're trying to kill everyone."
"And what difference does that make?" Joseph Heller - Catch 22?
-
Didn't expect this thread to go Israel Iran....
-
Didn't expect this thread to go Israel Iran....
-
Didn't expect this thread to go Israel Iran....
-
Only fools obey everything a Dr. tells them. Especially when you hurt your toe and the Dr. tells you to strip.
-
He better be careful or he'll break loose the catheter and spill out of his Depends.?
Is that what his new cologne and perfume smells like? ?
-
Only fools obey everything a Dr. tells them. Especially when you hurt your toe and the Dr. tells you to strip.
Only fools obey everything a Dr. tells them. Especially when you hurt your toe and the Dr. tells you to strip.
True. Now you know why some of them weren't able to tell their fathers why they left their scholarships with a couple years of eligibility left. That said, when I was between the ages of 17 & 23 - I sure wished I applied better thought and discretion to a lot of things I did. I didn't have any idea that would extend all the way until I was 53 years old. The thing is - somebody working at Ohio State SHOULD have stopped that predator especially if they had knowledge (which sounded like it was impossible not to have it for anyone in charge of that wrestling program). When the Wrestling referee/official that complained about what Strauss tried to do to him in the shower after a meet to Jimmy Jordan - he got the giggle and reply "that's just Dr Strauss." There's a big time integrity that was missing there from the 2 Coaches regardless of how kids on scholarship felt the best thing to do was internalize and keep quiet to the extent of quitting and leaving their scholarships behind with years of eligibility remaining. That's a psychological pressure I never thought any kid wired to be a wrestler (especially with the mental & physical disciplines that sport requires) would have difficulty with as I began watching the documentary. I thought - how bad could this have been? Then of course I learned a lot of what was swept under the rug - remains protected by blind eyes, deaf ears and 2 former Coaches that lacked the integrity to do the right thing.
-
He better be careful or he'll break loose the catheter and spill out of his Depends.?
Is that what his new cologne and perfume smells like? ?
Is that what his new cologne and perfume smells like? ?
They are labeled MAGA as in Make America Gag Again. The are reflexive products.??
-
Is that what his new cologne and perfume smells like? ?
They are labeled MAGA as in Make America Gag Again. The are reflexive products.??
They are labeled MAGA as in Make America Gag Again. The are reflexive products.??
I thought they were just trying to cater to the baby talk of CalFOX NEWS. "Maggot" just has too many letters...
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login