Chief of War
-
This is a newer show on Apple+ starring Jason Momoa and set in Hawaii during the late 1700s.
Hawaii had its own thing going on at that time, the 4 main islands had 4 different kingdoms, and they liked to start shit with each other sometimes.
Meanwhile, European sailors had been crossing the high seas for a while by then, but never stumbled upon Hawaii, until they did…
This show is tough to get through. I get the impression they went balls out for authenticity and it shows. It’s basically 80% a foreign language flick because they are literally speaking Hawaiian most of the time. I had no idea Jason Momoa was fluent in Hawaiian. It’s a wild language. So many vowels and apostrophes.
So unless you’re fluent in Hawaiian, you’ll be gawking at subtitles a lot. They do introduce Spanish sailors at one point, and oddly enough they all speak English, which l thought was weird.
I watched the 5 out of 9 episodes available so far and it’s intriguing but a struggle. I will say as the show goes on there is generally more English involved so if you can make it past the first few episodes it gets a little easier to hang with.
The historical aspects are pretty cool, and the show does a neat job with visual aspects depicting the life and culture of Hawaii during that time.
I’ll suspend grading until l get through the first season, but it’s no better than a C at this point.
-
This is a newer show on Apple+ starring Jason Momoa and set in Hawaii during the late 1700s.
Hawaii had its own thing going on at that time, the 4 main islands had 4 different kingdoms, and they liked to start shit with each other sometimes.
Meanwhile, European sailors had been crossing the high seas for a while by then, but never stumbled upon Hawaii, until they did…
This show is tough to get through. I get the impression they went balls out for authenticity and it shows. It’s basically 80% a foreign language flick because they are literally speaking Hawaiian most of the time. I had no idea Jason Momoa was fluent in Hawaiian. It’s a wild language. So many vowels and apostrophes.
So unless you’re fluent in Hawaiian, you’ll be gawking at subtitles a lot. They do introduce Spanish sailors at one point, and oddly enough they all speak English, which l thought was weird.
I watched the 5 out of 9 episodes available so far and it’s intriguing but a struggle. I will say as the show goes on there is generally more English involved so if you can make it past the first few episodes it gets a little easier to hang with.
The historical aspects are pretty cool, and the show does a neat job with visual aspects depicting the life and culture of Hawaii during that time.
I’ll suspend grading until l get through the first season, but it’s no better than a C at this point.
This is a newer show on Apple+ starring Jason Momoa and set in Hawaii during the late 1700s.
Hawaii had its own thing going on at that time, the 4 main islands had 4 different kingdoms, and they liked to start shit with each other sometimes.
Meanwhile, European sailors had been crossing the high seas for a while by then, but never stumbled upon Hawaii, until they did…
This show is tough to get through. I get the impression they went balls out for authenticity and it shows. It’s basically 80% a foreign language flick because they are literally speaking Hawaiian most of the time. I had no idea Jason Momoa was fluent in Hawaiian. It’s a wild language. So many vowels and apostrophes.
So unless you’re fluent in Hawaiian, you’ll be gawking at subtitles a lot. They do introduce Spanish sailors at one point, and oddly enough they all speak English, which l thought was weird.
I watched the 5 out of 9 episodes available so far and it’s intriguing but a struggle. I will say as the show goes on there is generally more English involved so if you can make it past the first few episodes it gets a little easier to hang with.
The historical aspects are pretty cool, and the show does a neat job with visual aspects depicting the life and culture of Hawaii during that time.
I’ll suspend grading until l get through the first season, but it’s no better than a C at this point.
As a historian buff I may check this one out.. Thanks for the review..
-
This is a newer show on Apple+ starring Jason Momoa and set in Hawaii during the late 1700s.
Hawaii had its own thing going on at that time, the 4 main islands had 4 different kingdoms, and they liked to start shit with each other sometimes.
Meanwhile, European sailors had been crossing the high seas for a while by then, but never stumbled upon Hawaii, until they did…
This show is tough to get through. I get the impression they went balls out for authenticity and it shows. It’s basically 80% a foreign language flick because they are literally speaking Hawaiian most of the time. I had no idea Jason Momoa was fluent in Hawaiian. It’s a wild language. So many vowels and apostrophes.
So unless you’re fluent in Hawaiian, you’ll be gawking at subtitles a lot. They do introduce Spanish sailors at one point, and oddly enough they all speak English, which l thought was weird.
I watched the 5 out of 9 episodes available so far and it’s intriguing but a struggle. I will say as the show goes on there is generally more English involved so if you can make it past the first few episodes it gets a little easier to hang with.
The historical aspects are pretty cool, and the show does a neat job with visual aspects depicting the life and culture of Hawaii during that time.
I’ll suspend grading until l get through the first season, but it’s no better than a C at this point.
As a historian buff I may check this one out.. Thanks for the review..
-
️
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login