Skip to content

The 2026 NFL DRAFT QB derby watch!

The Browns Board
311 22 7.4k 2
  • FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel

    Not for nothing, where would numbers like these rank in 2-3 years?  Just Sayin... NO, Julian Sayin

    image.png.74a387ba58fbc9181d44b8cb7e7d0908.png

  • 1. Dante Moore, Oregon
    2. LaNorris Sellers, South Carolina
    3. Ty Simpson, Alabama
    4. Fernando Mendoza, Indiana
    5. Garrett Nessmeier, LSU
    6. John Mateer, Oklahoma
    7. Carson Beck, Miami
    8. Cade Klubnik, Clemson
    9. Sawyer Robertson, Baylor
    10. Drew Allar, Penn State 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel

    @dutch-oven said:

    1. Dante Moore, Oregon
    2. LaNorris Sellers, South Carolina
    3. Ty Simpson, Alabama
    4. Fernando Mendoza, Indiana
    5. Garrett Nessmeier, LSU
    6. John Mateer, Oklahoma
    7. Carson Beck, Miami
    8. Cade Klubnik, Clemson
    9. Sawyer Robertson, Baylor
    10. Drew Allar, Penn State 

    I think I posted somewhere I'm a Mendoza fan with out 1st pick too. Something to keep in mind, Browns OC Tommy Rees coached Ty Simpson at Alabama.  This kid stayed in the program there instead of hitting the transfer portal.  My reason for bringing it up is Simpson is probably already quite familiar with what Rees wants to do here IF OUR FREAKIN FO OFFICE CAN EVER COOPERATE WITH THE ESSENTIALS LIKE WR & OT.   It's supposed to be a deep draft at WR while LT is looking as elusive as a winning lottery ticket.  FWIW, the Giants drafted Purdue's Marcus Mbow (who played a little Guard and a lot of RT in college) IN ROUND 5.  While Giants'LT Andrew Thomas was out with an injury - Mbow filled in so admirably - Brian Baldinger was impressed enough to show his highlights. Our FO dug this hole so the least they can do is research similar opportunities at OT in the draft moving forward... Anyway, if you get a chance check out Ty Simpson - he's pretty fricken good too (while it's conceivable the Browns might not be drafting 1st to land Mendoza or Moore).  

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    I plan on watching the Alabama vs Tennessee game tonight @flugel out of curiosity about Simpson. 
     

    But at the end of the day I have zero interest in the Browns using a top five pick on a QB with 15 or so college starts, which Simpson would have if he declares after the season ends.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Regarding QBs, there's a lot of talented college QBs with little experience, and that scares the bejesus out of me.

    We're now starting a rookie with just about the most college starts ever.  But he's a midget.

    @dutch-oven said:

    I like Indiana's Fernando Mendoza as of now,

    I like tall.  

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    @orion said:

    We're now starting a rookie with just about the most college starts ever.  But he's a midget.

    I like tall.  

    Tall, pocket QBs are harder and harder to find nowadays, as the RPO offense favors more athletic generally smaller quarterbacks. Mendoza is surprisingly nimble for his size though. Personality wise he’s the complete opposite of the last QB the Browns took in the first round. He kind of has a Tim Tebow vibe.

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by

     I'm tossing a name out there early, from a professional perspective after conversation and review with my business partner. 

     - Mensah, from Duke. 

    He's playing Ga Tech @ noon. 

  • I plan on watching the Alabama vs Tennessee game tonight @flugel out of curiosity about Simpson. 
     

    But at the end of the day I have zero interest in the Browns using a top five pick on a QB with 15 or so college starts, which Simpson would have if he declares after the season ends.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel

    @dutch-oven said:

    I plan on watching the Alabama vs Tennessee game tonight @flugel out of curiosity about Simpson. 
     

    But at the end of the day I have zero interest in the Browns using a top five pick on a QB with 15 or so college starts, which Simpson would have if he declares after the season ends.

    Yeah - and that's a legit concern Dutch.  As recently as prior to the 2025 draft - I pointed out how helpful starting experience in 2 different college football programs was to successful rookie seasons for Bo Nix and Jayden Daniels. 

    Here's his current stats before you see him play tonight. 

    image.png.a4ca1750eecd01723d5a7a658136a931.png

  • @orion said:

    We're now starting a rookie with just about the most college starts ever.  But he's a midget.

    I like tall.  

    Tall, pocket QBs are harder and harder to find nowadays, as the RPO offense favors more athletic generally smaller quarterbacks. Mendoza is surprisingly nimble for his size though. Personality wise he’s the complete opposite of the last QB the Browns took in the first round. He kind of has a Tim Tebow vibe.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by

    @dutch-oven said:

    He kind of has a Tim Tebow vibe.

    ...in which case I would enjoy rooting for him.  (skinny kid...needs a few lbs.)   -  A lot of college and pro season to go...and a lot can change in as little as a month.  

    It's sad that a little corner of my brain wants to dismiss midget Gabriel as a future backup and go straight to Sanders to see if the taller kid can be the future so we can know if we'll be drafting a QB somewhere in round 1.  It's a bias I have against short QB's that I can't turn completely off.  

  • @dutch-oven said:

    He kind of has a Tim Tebow vibe.

    ...in which case I would enjoy rooting for him.  (skinny kid...needs a few lbs.)   -  A lot of college and pro season to go...and a lot can change in as little as a month.  

    It's sad that a little corner of my brain wants to dismiss midget Gabriel as a future backup and go straight to Sanders to see if the taller kid can be the future so we can know if we'll be drafting a QB somewhere in round 1.  It's a bias I have against short QB's that I can't turn completely off.  

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    @orion said:

    ...in which case I would enjoy rooting for him.  (skinny kid...needs a few lbs.)   -  A lot of college and pro season to go...and a lot can change in as little as a month.  

    It's sad that a little corner of my brain wants to dismiss midget Gabriel as a future backup and go straight to Sanders to see if the taller kid can be the future so we can know if we'll be drafting a QB somewhere in round 1.  It's a bias I have against short QB's that I can't turn completely off.  

    It’s understandable about DG, he’s limited because of his height. I think he can be a good backup, but we’ll see. I do want to see Sanders too, if and when he’s ready to start.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    1. Dante Moore, Oregon
    2. LaNorris Sellers, South Carolina
    3. Ty Simpson, Alabama
    4. Fernando Mendoza, Indiana
    5. Garrett Nessmeier, LSU
    6. John Mateer, Oklahoma
    7. Carson Beck, Miami
    8. Cade Klubnik, Clemson
    9. Sawyer Robertson, Baylor
    10. Drew Allar, Penn State 

    Thanks!  There's a former USC QB that I wondered whatever happened to that re-appeared last night while the same Carson Beck we hoped wouldn't re-appear showed back up.  Not all Beck's fault per say, but the better the prospect is the more he wins that type of game he was in last night.  Anyway, the QB I'm talking about is Louisville QB - Miller Moss.  He's 6'2" and here's what he's done below.  It doesn't include what he did last night in the win over previously unbeaten Miami so I'll share that 1st.

    image.png.4e7d834df2fdc93b5864dff3016b7822.png He also had a 1 yard TD run.

    image.png.b8c45dcf7c66e04e5b6711c0a4e20d3a.png

    I'm not sure when/where he'll end up going - I just thought he might be just worthy of mention at this time. @sdbacker80 might have seen a lot more of this guy than I did so I'd be curious to hear his thoughts on him - good or bad.  

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by

    @flugel said:

    Thanks!  There's a former USC QB that I wondered whatever happened to that re-appeared last night while the same Carson Beck we hoped wouldn't re-appear showed back up.  Not all Beck's fault per say, but the better the prospect is the more he wins that type of game he was in last night.  Anyway, the QB I'm talking about is Louisville QB - Miller Moss.  He's 6'2" and here's what he's done below.  It doesn't include what he did last night in the win over previously unbeaten Miami so I'll share that 1st.

    image.png.4e7d834df2fdc93b5864dff3016b7822.png He also had a 1 yard TD run.

    image.png.b8c45dcf7c66e04e5b6711c0a4e20d3a.png

    I'm not sure when/where he'll end up going - I just thought he might be just worthy of mention at this time. @sdbacker80 might have seen a lot more of this guy than I did so I'd be curious to hear his thoughts on him - good or bad.  

    He was awesome in their bowl game the year before - they gave him the keys and between his spotty play and their oline plays last season it all crashed last year as did his NFL prospects.  He’s a lottery pick (3rd day pick) interestingly he will be 24 years old when he’s drafted.

    IMO he doesn’t  have the big arm talent to be considered ahead of what we have now  

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by

    Allar is out for the rest of the year, 

    and Manning is still struggling at times. A narrow win over Kentucky.

    Yikes.

     https://www.foxnews.com/sports/texas-arch-manning-faces-criticism-struggles-win-over-kentucky

    Texas' Arch Manning faces criticism for struggles in win over Kentucky

    Texas picked up the 16-13 win over Kentucky in overtime

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

    There's a lot to like about Alabama's Ty Simpson, but for his future in the NFL I hope he goes back to school next season. I can't imagine the list of QBs with less than 20 college starts who went to the NFL and succeeded is a long one, especially relatively recently. 

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by Unsympathetic

    Raise a glass to Berry for somehow getting a 3rd round 2026 pick from the Bills in the middle of last season for Cooper, who was in fact so washed up he retired after the season - and didnt even bother to time it so the Bills could get a compensatory pick.

    Turns out it was a move on the level of getting a first from IND for Trent Richardson.

  • Raise a glass to Berry for somehow getting a 3rd round 2026 pick from the Bills in the middle of last season for Cooper, who was in fact so washed up he retired after the season - and didnt even bother to time it so the Bills could get a compensatory pick.

    Turns out it was a move on the level of getting a first from IND for Trent Richardson.

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by

    @unsympathetic said:

    Raise a glass to Berry for somehow getting a 3rd round 2026 pick from the Bills in the middle of last season for Cooper, who was in fact so washed up he retired after the season - and didnt even bother to time it so the Bills could get a compensatory pick.

    Turns out it was a move on the level of getting a first from IND for Trent Richardson.

    He gets an “A” for salary cap manipulation and trades accumulating draft picks.  And some of this is mitigating the damage caused by past bad decisions

    His record shows he has added some solid talent defensively given where some of the prospects were drafted.  Whether we keep some of those guys depends on the massive mistake he made with Watson.

    Drafting WRs, OLs and generally offense he needs help from someone more qualified than him. 

    This past draft looks promising.

    But we are where we are with his efforts the past five years (a struggling offense albeit too young in some spots) and the talent we had before him Bitonio, Ward, Garrett being key cornerstones.

    Ive brought up the Watson situation and QBs lack thereof (via draft or trade) when we made the decision.  

    This post is not meant to be an Andrew Berry endorsement. 

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by

  • @unsympathetic said:

    Raise a glass to Berry for somehow getting a 3rd round 2026 pick from the Bills in the middle of last season for Cooper, who was in fact so washed up he retired after the season - and didnt even bother to time it so the Bills could get a compensatory pick.

    Turns out it was a move on the level of getting a first from IND for Trent Richardson.

    He gets an “A” for salary cap manipulation and trades accumulating draft picks.  And some of this is mitigating the damage caused by past bad decisions

    His record shows he has added some solid talent defensively given where some of the prospects were drafted.  Whether we keep some of those guys depends on the massive mistake he made with Watson.

    Drafting WRs, OLs and generally offense he needs help from someone more qualified than him. 

    This past draft looks promising.

    But we are where we are with his efforts the past five years (a struggling offense albeit too young in some spots) and the talent we had before him Bitonio, Ward, Garrett being key cornerstones.

    Ive brought up the Watson situation and QBs lack thereof (via draft or trade) when we made the decision.  

    This post is not meant to be an Andrew Berry endorsement. 

    Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by

    @sdbacker80 said:

    He gets an “A” for salary cap manipulation and trades accumulating draft picks.  

    Drafting WRs, OLs and generally offense he needs help from someone more qualified than him. 

    This past draft looks promising.

    This post is not meant to be an Andrew Berry endorsement. 

    I'm with you on all those points.

    It's so strange that the O Linemen drafted haven't panned out. Usually there's a learning curve but wow, it's been bad. 

    They desperately need two anchors at LT & RT. It should be a priority in 2026.

  • @sdbacker80 said:

    He gets an “A” for salary cap manipulation and trades accumulating draft picks.  

    Drafting WRs, OLs and generally offense he needs help from someone more qualified than him. 

    This past draft looks promising.

    This post is not meant to be an Andrew Berry endorsement. 

    I'm with you on all those points.

    It's so strange that the O Linemen drafted haven't panned out. Usually there's a learning curve but wow, it's been bad. 

    They desperately need two anchors at LT & RT. It should be a priority in 2026.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by

    @bob806 said:

    They desperately need two anchors at LT & RT. It should be a priority in 2026.

    Agreed.  Between FA and the draft.  And then there's Bitonio's Guard spot.  Gotta figure this is his last season.  Who's going to take over?  Certainly not Zinter.  (Zinter finally got to put his uniform on this past Sunday as he wasn't his usual Healthy Scratch.  And according to the box score he actually got into the game.  He must have been sooo excited.)  

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by

    Even assuming the resurrection of Bill Callahan as coach, is top-10 pick Evan Neal [NYG] worth a 7th round this year as an attempted reclamation OT?

  • Even assuming the resurrection of Bill Callahan as coach, is top-10 pick Evan Neal [NYG] worth a 7th round this year as an attempted reclamation OT?

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by

    @unsympathetic said:

    Even assuming the resurrection of Bill Callahan as coach, is top-10 pick Evan Neal [NYG] worth a 7th round this year as an attempted reclamation OT?

     I've charted almost every snap of the Gmen's offense this year. 

     They have one of the worst right sides to an OL in the entire NFL and Evan is a functional turnstile.   

     That said, 7th rounder can't hurt. 

  • Even assuming the resurrection of Bill Callahan as coach, is top-10 pick Evan Neal [NYG] worth a 7th round this year as an attempted reclamation OT?

    S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by

    @unsympathetic said:

    Even assuming the resurrection of Bill Callahan as coach, is top-10 pick Evan Neal [NYG] worth a 7th round this year as an attempted reclamation OT?

    yes and maybe one more. 

    We need to use some of our draft capital to add experience on the line.  I know some of you want to see us draft three lineman in the first couple days of the draft and more later but you can’t roll into 26 with four rookies on your offensive line