The 2026 NFL DRAFT QB derby watch!
-
Wait til Texas plays Florida, and Penn St plays Oregon, then it will be more legit to appraise how they look.
-
...gonna have to watch LSU sometime....
https://www.foxnews.com/sports/2026-nfl-draft-no-1-pick-odds
Let's check out the odds for the next No. 1 pick as of Sept. 10.
2026 NFL Draft No. 1 pick odds (DraftKings)
Garrett Nussmeier: +350 (bet $10 to win $45 total)
Drew Allar: +370 (bet $10 to win $47 total)
LaNorris Sellers: +400 (bet $10 to win $50 total)
Arch Manning: +800 (bet $10 to win $90 total)
Cade Klubnik: +900 (bet $10 to win $100 total) -
Watched the FIU game for a good portion of it. Allar is just way too inconsistent. Arm talent yes. He can zing it but Ball placement all over the place. PSU utilizes their backs a lot he’s throwing back shoulder to his backs (not helping them at all). He had a couple WRs open downfield and he opted to throw into coverage underneath. They are trying to keep him in the pocket more when his best tool STILL are his feet (running). He still looks late making decisions. Hes going to have a rough rookie year.
is he Josh Allen? Or Zack Mills?
-
Watched the FIU game for a good portion of it. Allar is just way too inconsistent. Arm talent yes. He can zing it but Ball placement all over the place. PSU utilizes their backs a lot he’s throwing back shoulder to his backs (not helping them at all). He had a couple WRs open downfield and he opted to throw into coverage underneath. They are trying to keep him in the pocket more when his best tool STILL are his feet (running). He still looks late making decisions. Hes going to have a rough rookie year.
is he Josh Allen? Or Zack Mills?
Watched the FIU game for a good portion of it. Allar is just way too inconsistent. Arm talent yes. He can zing it but Ball placement all over the place. PSU utilizes their backs a lot he’s throwing back shoulder to his backs (not helping them at all). He had a couple WRs open downfield and he opted to throw into coverage underneath. They are trying to keep him in the pocket more when his best tool STILL are his feet (running). He still looks late making decisions. Hes going to have a rough rookie year.
is he Josh Allen? Or Zack Mills?
Well said! When doing this - try to put each prospect in the completely opposite situation than the advantages Penn State, LSU or Clemson (vrs inferior ACC competition) consistently enjoy. YES, Nussmeier looks great throwing to LSU perimeter talent behind LSU talented pass pro (just had a LT drafted in upper 1st round). Cleveland rarely ever has their projected starting OTs avoiding IR. Now that Conklin looked to be ready to do so - he already missed most of game 1 to an eye injury. Cleveland is a whole different animal guys. I promise! The BIGGER question is - do the Browns know what they want at QB and why? What's the gotta have? It would have been nice if they knew what that was with Watson so we wouldn't have been going into season #3 of that plan hiring new offensive assistants to tailor the playbook toward his strengths.
As for Josh Allen - the trigger finger in the owner's seat would have cut him during growing pains. He's not smart enough to understand the process that in order to get a HOF Steve Young - you can't keep him with the pass pro TB got him beat to a pulp with. Bill Walsh was liking his chops to grand theft Steve Young as was Joe Gibbs in Washington for Doug Williams. Sometimes the BIGGEST bum is the franchise (Owner/FO combo) these QBs go to (ie: Chicago Bears today). Anyway, the team that drafted Josh Allen watched enough film of him to know what the growing pains would be before he even took the field for them. In other words, they were prepared with a plan for his weaknesses they felt coaching could resolve. That expedited the process and LAND HO!
All this said, college football's QB beauty pageant should be more about seeing their experiences with adversity. Jalen Hurts anyone? He had struggles on a team with the most talent; but responded to being benched by returning with a clutch performance in the Natty when the starter got injured. Now look where is. My intrigue is growing for QBs like South Carolina's LaNorris Sellers and Arizona State's Sam Leavitt. I don't think either will have the lights out passing stats; but teams only looking for those can miss out on a guy like Joe Montana or maybe a Josh Allen more recently. I'll give Montana's college & NFL comparison below so we can see what the right NFL franchise could extract out of the guy. The Era is different today but the NFL team that drafted Joe was much different in how they planned to use him for the NFL game. Bill Walsh loved how he was wired as he molded all of his strengths into a very accurate and efficient NFL passer. As you can see, he still threw INTs throughout the tenure in SF - but he never stopped being that QB who was wired to win the Natty for ND in 77.
-
Watched the FIU game for a good portion of it. Allar is just way too inconsistent. Arm talent yes. He can zing it but Ball placement all over the place. PSU utilizes their backs a lot he’s throwing back shoulder to his backs (not helping them at all). He had a couple WRs open downfield and he opted to throw into coverage underneath. They are trying to keep him in the pocket more when his best tool STILL are his feet (running). He still looks late making decisions. Hes going to have a rough rookie year.
is he Josh Allen? Or Zack Mills?
Watched the FIU game for a good portion of it. Allar is just way too inconsistent. Arm talent yes. He can zing it but Ball placement all over the place. PSU utilizes their backs a lot he’s throwing back shoulder to his backs (not helping them at all). He had a couple WRs open downfield and he opted to throw into coverage underneath. They are trying to keep him in the pocket more when his best tool STILL are his feet (running). He still looks late making decisions. Hes going to have a rough rookie year.
is he Josh Allen? Or Zack Mills?
I expect him to grow this season. He does have new wr's - Josh Allen or Zack Mills ? lol
who knows. Manning was not impressive vs Ohio State, but the game after, he was.
-
Watched the FIU game for a good portion of it. Allar is just way too inconsistent. Arm talent yes. He can zing it but Ball placement all over the place. PSU utilizes their backs a lot he’s throwing back shoulder to his backs (not helping them at all). He had a couple WRs open downfield and he opted to throw into coverage underneath. They are trying to keep him in the pocket more when his best tool STILL are his feet (running). He still looks late making decisions. Hes going to have a rough rookie year.
is he Josh Allen? Or Zack Mills?
I expect him to grow this season. He does have new wr's - Josh Allen or Zack Mills ? lol
who knows. Manning was not impressive vs Ohio State, but the game after, he was.
I expect him to grow this season. He does have new wr's - Josh Allen or Zack Mills ? lol
who knows. Manning was not impressive vs Ohio State, but the game after, he was.
The WR excuse is getting old. He had Tyler Warren last year too. Coaching and development would probably help him more I don’t see that happening with history of PSU with Clifford, Sackenburg and others.
Maybe we take him knowing that PSU did him no favors and coaching him up will turn that arm talent into something.
-
I expect him to grow this season. He does have new wr's - Josh Allen or Zack Mills ? lol
who knows. Manning was not impressive vs Ohio State, but the game after, he was.
The WR excuse is getting old. He had Tyler Warren last year too. Coaching and development would probably help him more I don’t see that happening with history of PSU with Clifford, Sackenburg and others.
Maybe we take him knowing that PSU did him no favors and coaching him up will turn that arm talent into something.
The WR excuse is getting old. He had Tyler Warren last year too. Coaching and development would probably help him more I don’t see that happening with history of PSU with Clifford, Sackenburg and others.
Maybe we take him knowing that PSU did him no favors and coaching him up will turn that arm talent into something.Not an excuse, just a legit observation, just part of the changes...
2 days agoThe No. 2 Penn State Nittany Lions believe more big moments are coming from three new transfer portal additions.Aug 31, 2025STATE COLLEGE — One of these Penn State football offensive lineman, a member of the group that's supposed to be the school's best in years, didn't flinch when asked to evaluate the opening ... -
Beau Pribula looks the part now away from PSU.
-
Beau Pribula looks the part now away from PSU.
Beau Pribula looks the part now away from PSU.
I'll never forget the experience when I had season tix to Vanderbilt Football. This one couple catches me coming up the stairs to my seat trying not to laugh at the 1 goof ball in the crowd with a Cleveland Browns hat and a Vandy Football T-shirt. You know I got the "You poor thing." For some reason I told them like I can't stand Touchdowns or teams that score a lot of them. My seats are in the end zone just in case I forget that... After that, I had to be careful I didn't wear any Ohio State stuff though.
Long story short, the real reason I got the season tix was because of how cheap they were to watch SEC football. I never had any intentions of following that team; but they were so freakin bad I couldn't help feeling sorry for them. They reeled me in to have them just behind 1) Ohio State, 2) Syracuse. I know James Franklin is being seen as a guy that can't win the BIG Games at Penn State right now. It's not any different than the way many people were seeing Ryan Day before last year. Okay. But if you can come to Vandy and put together back to back 9 wins seasons in the SEC and beat the in-state rival UT - that's college football's equivalent of watching someone walk on water. Anyway, Franklin doesn't have the magic yet to win the BIG one at Penn State. Having said that, they weren't competitive enough to be playing in very many big games before he arrived. The Defensive Coordinator (Jim Knowles) that saved Ryan Day's ass after gagging on Michigan again last year - could help the next HC trying to elude the "can't win the big game" reputation. If College Football had a Lancelot Award - Jim Knowles would own it and be defending it the way he is doing so as we speak.
-
Beau Pribula looks the part now away from PSU.
Beau Pribula looks the part now away from PSU.
Yes, he does. Brady Cook did, last year, too - I think he's on the Jet's practice squad. He threw for 2,535 yards last year, 11 tds, 2 ints. Pribula made a very smart move.
-
Beau Pribula looks the part now away from PSU.
I'll never forget the experience when I had season tix to Vanderbilt Football. This one couple catches me coming up the stairs to my seat trying not to laugh at the 1 goof ball in the crowd with a Cleveland Browns hat and a Vandy Football T-shirt. You know I got the "You poor thing." For some reason I told them like I can't stand Touchdowns or teams that score a lot of them. My seats are in the end zone just in case I forget that... After that, I had to be careful I didn't wear any Ohio State stuff though.
Long story short, the real reason I got the season tix was because of how cheap they were to watch SEC football. I never had any intentions of following that team; but they were so freakin bad I couldn't help feeling sorry for them. They reeled me in to have them just behind 1) Ohio State, 2) Syracuse. I know James Franklin is being seen as a guy that can't win the BIG Games at Penn State right now. It's not any different than the way many people were seeing Ryan Day before last year. Okay. But if you can come to Vandy and put together back to back 9 wins seasons in the SEC and beat the in-state rival UT - that's college football's equivalent of watching someone walk on water. Anyway, Franklin doesn't have the magic yet to win the BIG one at Penn State. Having said that, they weren't competitive enough to be playing in very many big games before he arrived. The Defensive Coordinator (Jim Knowles) that saved Ryan Day's ass after gagging on Michigan again last year - could help the next HC trying to elude the "can't win the big game" reputation. If College Football had a Lancelot Award - Jim Knowles would own it and be defending it the way he is doing so as we speak.
I'll never forget the experience when I had season tix to Vanderbilt Football. This one couple catches me coming up the stairs to my seat trying not to laugh at the 1 goof ball in the crowd with a Cleveland Browns hat and a Vandy Football T-shirt. You know I got the "You poor thing." For some reason I told them like I can't stand Touchdowns or teams that score a lot of them. My seats are in the end zone just in case I forget that... After that, I had to be careful I didn't wear any Ohio State stuff though.
Long story short, the real reason I got the season tix was because of how cheap they were to watch SEC football. I never had any intentions of following that team; but they were so freakin bad I couldn't help feeling sorry for them. They reeled me in to have them just behind 1) Ohio State, 2) Syracuse. I know James Franklin is being seen as a guy that can't win the BIG Games at Penn State right now. It's not any different than the way many people were seeing Ryan Day before last year. Okay. But if you can come to Vandy and put together back to back 9 wins seasons in the SEC and beat the in-state rival UT - that's college football's equivalent of watching someone walk on water. Anyway, Franklin doesn't have the magic yet to win the BIG one at Penn State. Having said that, they weren't competitive enough to be playing in very many big games before he arrived. The Defensive Coordinator (Jim Knowles) that saved Ryan Day's ass after gagging on Michigan again last year - could help the next HC trying to elude the "can't win the big game" reputation. If College Football had a Lancelot Award - Jim Knowles would own it and be defending it the way he is doing so as we speak.
“I can’t stand touchdowns…”. That’s a great one.
some random thoughts1 Ryan Day slayed some giants before 2024. He didn’t start at Vandy and essentially started on 3rd base although that line of thinking erases the pretty good body of work prior to being the HC of TOSU.
2. PSU has had the same QB coach for 5 years in that time he’s had talented Sean Clifford, Will Levis (left and was a 1st round pick), 5 star Allar (steady inconsistent performer from 23-25), Pribula (left). Righting this could go a long way for James Franklin and his quest to slay the dragon. I have to believe Ryan Day and his staff could have done better with this group just as Kentucky and Missouri are doing with PSU castoffs.
3. I don’t know if Knowles saved him or what transpired after Michigan 2024. There are lots of Buckeye fans that don’t agree with this take and feel like Day stepped in and/or got others on the Defensive Staff more involved and this falls in line with the sudden rift and then fallout to the point where Knowles hits the doors and screws the celebration party. And There were certainly growing pains in Knowles system in year 1 and 2.
-
Allar, being my choice last year - might be on his way to having a great year - with brand new wr's to help him...we'll see.
https://sports.yahoo.com/article/penn-state-finally-found-solution-004927702.html
Penn State finally found the solution to unlocking Drew Allar as James Franklin and company destroy Nevada
Allar, being my choice last year - might be on his way to having a great year - with brand new wr's to help him...we'll see.
https://sports.yahoo.com/article/penn-state-finally-found-solution-004927702.html
Penn State finally found the solution to unlocking Drew Allar as James Franklin and company destroy Nevada
BREAKING NEWS: The second coming of Mitch Trubisky is playing on a much more talented team than North Carolina was - while he'll enter the NFL Draft with more starting experience in a much stronger Conference.
-
I'll never forget the experience when I had season tix to Vanderbilt Football. This one couple catches me coming up the stairs to my seat trying not to laugh at the 1 goof ball in the crowd with a Cleveland Browns hat and a Vandy Football T-shirt. You know I got the "You poor thing." For some reason I told them like I can't stand Touchdowns or teams that score a lot of them. My seats are in the end zone just in case I forget that... After that, I had to be careful I didn't wear any Ohio State stuff though.
Long story short, the real reason I got the season tix was because of how cheap they were to watch SEC football. I never had any intentions of following that team; but they were so freakin bad I couldn't help feeling sorry for them. They reeled me in to have them just behind 1) Ohio State, 2) Syracuse. I know James Franklin is being seen as a guy that can't win the BIG Games at Penn State right now. It's not any different than the way many people were seeing Ryan Day before last year. Okay. But if you can come to Vandy and put together back to back 9 wins seasons in the SEC and beat the in-state rival UT - that's college football's equivalent of watching someone walk on water. Anyway, Franklin doesn't have the magic yet to win the BIG one at Penn State. Having said that, they weren't competitive enough to be playing in very many big games before he arrived. The Defensive Coordinator (Jim Knowles) that saved Ryan Day's ass after gagging on Michigan again last year - could help the next HC trying to elude the "can't win the big game" reputation. If College Football had a Lancelot Award - Jim Knowles would own it and be defending it the way he is doing so as we speak.
“I can’t stand touchdowns…”. That’s a great one.
some random thoughts1 Ryan Day slayed some giants before 2024. He didn’t start at Vandy and essentially started on 3rd base although that line of thinking erases the pretty good body of work prior to being the HC of TOSU.
2. PSU has had the same QB coach for 5 years in that time he’s had talented Sean Clifford, Will Levis (left and was a 1st round pick), 5 star Allar (steady inconsistent performer from 23-25), Pribula (left). Righting this could go a long way for James Franklin and his quest to slay the dragon. I have to believe Ryan Day and his staff could have done better with this group just as Kentucky and Missouri are doing with PSU castoffs.
3. I don’t know if Knowles saved him or what transpired after Michigan 2024. There are lots of Buckeye fans that don’t agree with this take and feel like Day stepped in and/or got others on the Defensive Staff more involved and this falls in line with the sudden rift and then fallout to the point where Knowles hits the doors and screws the celebration party. And There were certainly growing pains in Knowles system in year 1 and 2.
“I can’t stand touchdowns…”. That’s a great one.
some random thoughts1 Ryan Day slayed some giants before 2024. He didn’t start at Vandy and essentially started on 3rd base although that line of thinking erases the pretty good body of work prior to being the HC of TOSU.
2. PSU has had the same QB coach for 5 years in that time he’s had talented Sean Clifford, Will Levis (left and was a 1st round pick), 5 star Allar (steady inconsistent performer from 23-25), Pribula (left). Righting this could go a long way for James Franklin and his quest to slay the dragon. I have to believe Ryan Day and his staff could have done better with this group just as Kentucky and Missouri are doing with PSU castoffs.
3. I don’t know if Knowles saved him or what transpired after Michigan 2024. There are lots of Buckeye fans that don’t agree with this take and feel like Day stepped in and/or got others on the Defensive Staff more involved and this falls in line with the sudden rift and then fallout to the point where Knowles hits the doors and screws the celebration party. And There were certainly growing pains in Knowles system in year 1 and 2.
Well done!!! My point of all that wasn't to make you change your mind about him or win an argument - clearly I'd lose this one. Having said that, I just want to make the point of what he did at a school that never did anything in the SEC warranted him being hired at PSU. Former NFL Coach Bill O'Brien tried at Penn State and only lasted 2 years. They may just be Nittany Lions but that program was a bigger animal than people realize. Despite the despicable stuff that unfolded with Joe PA in charge - the standard and expectation to win there never died. The true magic or strength of James Franklin is the energy and positivity he brings and instills in guys. He got Jordan Rodgers to come to Vanderbilt who warned Franklin "I'm not my brother Aaron." He told him that's good because I'm not recruiting him - I want you as you. You're the fit I need here. The only thing I ask is that you believe in yourself the same way you did in the film I watched of you. It's all there. Franklin improved the weight room and everything about the football program. They went from football follies before he arrived to 6-7 followed by TWO consecutive 9-4 records in the SEC inclusive of beating their biggest rival UT and making 3 consecutive Bowl Games (winning 1 or 2 of them). We're talking VANDY Football.
As we speak, Penn State climbed into the topic for being one of the elite teams in the Big 10 (in a conference that's more loaded than it's ever been with Oregon and other Pacific Coast schools joining it). Ohio State made some changes that helped get them over the top (and yet - they still lost 2 games to teams they were favored to beat) in their National Championship Season. Where I don't have 2 legs to stand on is being able to guarantee you James Franklin can get it done; and I might have just pulled a hamstring with all this effort. That said, he's competing like a champion with some of the recruits he's been bringing in there. Outside of the WR tradition at OSU - I don't think there's a huge difference between Day and Franklin especially now that he added Knowles.
Believe it or not, my 1st impression of Ryan Day was a GREAT one. I still like the guy but I sure wish he'd take the biggest rivalry in college football a lot closer to the level Urban Meyer got it to. The special I saw on Michigan's magic (aside from the asterisks required to pull a lot if it off) is they designate a little practice time toward Ohio State every week of the season. The more prepared they are - it sure seems like the less tense and more confident they are in the game plan (and those asterisks). There are a lot of similarities between Day and Franklin except Urban Meyer already had Ohio State at the elite level that Bill O'Brien didn't have Penn State anywhere close to.
-
“I can’t stand touchdowns…”. That’s a great one.
some random thoughts1 Ryan Day slayed some giants before 2024. He didn’t start at Vandy and essentially started on 3rd base although that line of thinking erases the pretty good body of work prior to being the HC of TOSU.
2. PSU has had the same QB coach for 5 years in that time he’s had talented Sean Clifford, Will Levis (left and was a 1st round pick), 5 star Allar (steady inconsistent performer from 23-25), Pribula (left). Righting this could go a long way for James Franklin and his quest to slay the dragon. I have to believe Ryan Day and his staff could have done better with this group just as Kentucky and Missouri are doing with PSU castoffs.
3. I don’t know if Knowles saved him or what transpired after Michigan 2024. There are lots of Buckeye fans that don’t agree with this take and feel like Day stepped in and/or got others on the Defensive Staff more involved and this falls in line with the sudden rift and then fallout to the point where Knowles hits the doors and screws the celebration party. And There were certainly growing pains in Knowles system in year 1 and 2.
Well done!!! My point of all that wasn't to make you change your mind about him or win an argument - clearly I'd lose this one. Having said that, I just want to make the point of what he did at a school that never did anything in the SEC warranted him being hired at PSU. Former NFL Coach Bill O'Brien tried at Penn State and only lasted 2 years. They may just be Nittany Lions but that program was a bigger animal than people realize. Despite the despicable stuff that unfolded with Joe PA in charge - the standard and expectation to win there never died. The true magic or strength of James Franklin is the energy and positivity he brings and instills in guys. He got Jordan Rodgers to come to Vanderbilt who warned Franklin "I'm not my brother Aaron." He told him that's good because I'm not recruiting him - I want you as you. You're the fit I need here. The only thing I ask is that you believe in yourself the same way you did in the film I watched of you. It's all there. Franklin improved the weight room and everything about the football program. They went from football follies before he arrived to 6-7 followed by TWO consecutive 9-4 records in the SEC inclusive of beating their biggest rival UT and making 3 consecutive Bowl Games (winning 1 or 2 of them). We're talking VANDY Football.
As we speak, Penn State climbed into the topic for being one of the elite teams in the Big 10 (in a conference that's more loaded than it's ever been with Oregon and other Pacific Coast schools joining it). Ohio State made some changes that helped get them over the top (and yet - they still lost 2 games to teams they were favored to beat) in their National Championship Season. Where I don't have 2 legs to stand on is being able to guarantee you James Franklin can get it done; and I might have just pulled a hamstring with all this effort. That said, he's competing like a champion with some of the recruits he's been bringing in there. Outside of the WR tradition at OSU - I don't think there's a huge difference between Day and Franklin especially now that he added Knowles.
Believe it or not, my 1st impression of Ryan Day was a GREAT one. I still like the guy but I sure wish he'd take the biggest rivalry in college football a lot closer to the level Urban Meyer got it to. The special I saw on Michigan's magic (aside from the asterisks required to pull a lot if it off) is they designate a little practice time toward Ohio State every week of the season. The more prepared they are - it sure seems like the less tense and more confident they are in the game plan (and those asterisks). There are a lot of similarities between Day and Franklin except Urban Meyer already had Ohio State at the elite level that Bill O'Brien didn't have Penn State anywhere close to.
Well done!!! My point of all that wasn't to make you change your mind about him or win an argument - clearly I'd lose this one. Having said that, I just want to make the point of what he did at a school that never did anything in the SEC warranted him being hired at PSU. Former NFL Coach Bill O'Brien tried at Penn State and only lasted 2 years. They may just be Nittany Lions but that program was a bigger animal than people realize. Despite the despicable stuff that unfolded with Joe PA in charge - the standard and expectation to win there never died. The true magic or strength of James Franklin is the energy and positivity he brings and instills in guys. He got Jordan Rodgers to come to Vanderbilt who warned Franklin "I'm not my brother Aaron." He told him that's good because I'm not recruiting him - I want you as you. You're the fit I need here. The only thing I ask is that you believe in yourself the same way you did in the film I watched of you. It's all there. Franklin improved the weight room and everything about the football program. They went from football follies before he arrived to 6-7 followed by TWO consecutive 9-4 records in the SEC inclusive of beating their biggest rival UT and making 3 consecutive Bowl Games (winning 1 or 2 of them). We're talking VANDY Football.
As we speak, Penn State climbed into the topic for being one of the elite teams in the Big 10 (in a conference that's more loaded than it's ever been with Oregon and other Pacific Coast schools joining it). Ohio State made some changes that helped get them over the top (and yet - they still lost 2 games to teams they were favored to beat) in their National Championship Season. Where I don't have 2 legs to stand on is being able to guarantee you James Franklin can get it done; and I might have just pulled a hamstring with all this effort. That said, he's competing like a champion with some of the recruits he's been bringing in there. Outside of the WR tradition at OSU - I don't think there's a huge difference between Day and Franklin especially now that he added Knowles.
Believe it or not, my 1st impression of Ryan Day was a GREAT one. I still like the guy but I sure wish he'd take the biggest rivalry in college football a lot closer to the level Urban Meyer got it to. The special I saw on Michigan's magic (aside from the asterisks required to pull a lot if it off) is they designate a little practice time toward Ohio State every week of the season. The more prepared they are - it sure seems like the less tense and more confident they are in the game plan (and those asterisks). There are a lot of similarities between Day and Franklin except Urban Meyer already had Ohio State at the elite level that Bill O'Brien didn't have Penn State anywhere close to.
Not to discredit anything Franklin has done - the details you share about Vandy are eye opening. He more than just moved the needle in Vandy he shifted the culture and the program. That deserves respect. A clear program builder type coach with a lot of charisma. But Taking very good to elite we will see…he’s beat Urban led OSU once and is a clear step behind in the chase for a National Title.
I could be wrong but Penn State has strategically built their program on elite talent like OSU but recently it seems they don’t go head to head to get that talent - OSU and PSU seemed to fight over guys like Micah Parsons in the past but not so much anymore. He’s smart and strategic. The arrogant OSU fan in me tells me a kid has choice between the two he goes to OSU unless big money talks.
Ryan Day appears to not just have a clear advantage at WR. He has an overwhelming advantage at developing and putting out elite QB play. That is a 1a proposition in college football you have and advantage here you are competing each year for a national title. Franklin is not even in his shadow here.
The Franklin critics point to his game management in big games and his O Coordinator gameplans. I look squarely at the QB play and it is year after year
Knowles was generally liked at OSU especially toward the end of his tenure. He had his other moments given some his Michigan defensive gameplans and OSUs 2022 performance against Georgia (leaving safeties on an island against speedy Georgia WRs).
-
Well done!!! My point of all that wasn't to make you change your mind about him or win an argument - clearly I'd lose this one. Having said that, I just want to make the point of what he did at a school that never did anything in the SEC warranted him being hired at PSU. Former NFL Coach Bill O'Brien tried at Penn State and only lasted 2 years. They may just be Nittany Lions but that program was a bigger animal than people realize. Despite the despicable stuff that unfolded with Joe PA in charge - the standard and expectation to win there never died. The true magic or strength of James Franklin is the energy and positivity he brings and instills in guys. He got Jordan Rodgers to come to Vanderbilt who warned Franklin "I'm not my brother Aaron." He told him that's good because I'm not recruiting him - I want you as you. You're the fit I need here. The only thing I ask is that you believe in yourself the same way you did in the film I watched of you. It's all there. Franklin improved the weight room and everything about the football program. They went from football follies before he arrived to 6-7 followed by TWO consecutive 9-4 records in the SEC inclusive of beating their biggest rival UT and making 3 consecutive Bowl Games (winning 1 or 2 of them). We're talking VANDY Football.
As we speak, Penn State climbed into the topic for being one of the elite teams in the Big 10 (in a conference that's more loaded than it's ever been with Oregon and other Pacific Coast schools joining it). Ohio State made some changes that helped get them over the top (and yet - they still lost 2 games to teams they were favored to beat) in their National Championship Season. Where I don't have 2 legs to stand on is being able to guarantee you James Franklin can get it done; and I might have just pulled a hamstring with all this effort. That said, he's competing like a champion with some of the recruits he's been bringing in there. Outside of the WR tradition at OSU - I don't think there's a huge difference between Day and Franklin especially now that he added Knowles.
Believe it or not, my 1st impression of Ryan Day was a GREAT one. I still like the guy but I sure wish he'd take the biggest rivalry in college football a lot closer to the level Urban Meyer got it to. The special I saw on Michigan's magic (aside from the asterisks required to pull a lot if it off) is they designate a little practice time toward Ohio State every week of the season. The more prepared they are - it sure seems like the less tense and more confident they are in the game plan (and those asterisks). There are a lot of similarities between Day and Franklin except Urban Meyer already had Ohio State at the elite level that Bill O'Brien didn't have Penn State anywhere close to.
Not to discredit anything Franklin has done - the details you share about Vandy are eye opening. He more than just moved the needle in Vandy he shifted the culture and the program. That deserves respect. A clear program builder type coach with a lot of charisma. But Taking very good to elite we will see…he’s beat Urban led OSU once and is a clear step behind in the chase for a National Title.
I could be wrong but Penn State has strategically built their program on elite talent like OSU but recently it seems they don’t go head to head to get that talent - OSU and PSU seemed to fight over guys like Micah Parsons in the past but not so much anymore. He’s smart and strategic. The arrogant OSU fan in me tells me a kid has choice between the two he goes to OSU unless big money talks.
Ryan Day appears to not just have a clear advantage at WR. He has an overwhelming advantage at developing and putting out elite QB play. That is a 1a proposition in college football you have and advantage here you are competing each year for a national title. Franklin is not even in his shadow here.
The Franklin critics point to his game management in big games and his O Coordinator gameplans. I look squarely at the QB play and it is year after year
Knowles was generally liked at OSU especially toward the end of his tenure. He had his other moments given some his Michigan defensive gameplans and OSUs 2022 performance against Georgia (leaving safeties on an island against speedy Georgia WRs).
Ryan Day appears to not just have a clear advantage at WR. He has an overwhelming advantage at developing and putting out elite QB play. That is a 1a proposition in college football you have and advantage here you are competing each year for a national title. Franklin is not even in his shadow here.
The Franklin critics point to his game management in big games and his O Coordinator gameplans. I look squarely at the QB play and it is year after year
How about this for timing? To your points I bolded above, in a 52-6 win over Villanova - Franklin's QB (Allar) barely completes over 50% of his passes with a 16 of 29 performance.
-
See tia,told you so. LOL!?
See tia,told you so. LOL!?
Just a guess Aggies - but I'm thinking someone is a very proud feller about what his team accomplished at Notre Dame yesterday.
-
See tia,told you so. LOL!?
Just a guess Aggies - but I'm thinking someone is a very proud feller about what his team accomplished at Notre Dame yesterday.
-
Ryan Day appears to not just have a clear advantage at WR. He has an overwhelming advantage at developing and putting out elite QB play. That is a 1a proposition in college football you have and advantage here you are competing each year for a national title. Franklin is not even in his shadow here.
The Franklin critics point to his game management in big games and his O Coordinator gameplans. I look squarely at the QB play and it is year after year
How about this for timing? To your points I bolded above, in a 52-6 win over Villanova - Franklin's QB (Allar) barely completes over 50% of his passes with a 16 of 29 performance.
-
But Against Nova.Eggs-actly!
-
The only QB watch for me at this time is to see what Garbriel looks like when we finally move on from Joe. I like Joe but this O needs a qb who can move some. When Joe moves it looks like he is plodding his way through a knee deep pool of peanut butter.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login