Skip to content

Browns Trade Greg Newsome

The Browns Board
22 15 531 1
  • Canton DawgC Canton Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #1
  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #2

    Campbell was from the same draft class as Newsome (2021). 

  • IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by Ibleedbrown
    #3

    So long Greg. You had arguably the best hair on the team.

  • S SdBacker80 wrote on last edited by
    #4

    Weird trade Greg is playing well. Campbell signed the big contract hasn’t lived up to it this season.  Greg is probably in line for Campbell type money.   So why not just retain our guy instead? 

  • Weird trade Greg is playing well. Campbell signed the big contract hasn’t lived up to it this season.  Greg is probably in line for Campbell type money.   So why not just retain our guy instead? 

    bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
    #5

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Weird trade Greg is playing well. Campbell signed the big contract hasn’t lived up to it this season.  Greg is probably in line for Campbell type money.   So why not just retain our guy instead? 

    I assume, they couldn't come to terms with Greg on the extension they wanted.

    The campbell contract is cheap for the browns too, signing bonus and guarantees paid out by the Jags. $3M/year is the cap hit over the next 2 years for us, I'm assuming money is a part of it.

    On paper they're in a similar tier (pretty low to mid)

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by
    #6

    Newsome is playing this season on the 5th yr option with a salary of 13.38M, and is a free agent after the season.

    Newsome's salary for the rest of the season goes fully over to Jags.  Campbell's salary for full season is 8. 

    None of the cap management sites show the changes to Campbell's contract to reflect what Browns are responsible for, but the 5M lower salary + contract control + no signing bonus seems like a decent purpose. 

    Money Mitch he's not, but my guess is this guy is a potential trade sweetener for future deals such as moving up in rd1 in 2026.

  • Weird trade Greg is playing well. Campbell signed the big contract hasn’t lived up to it this season.  Greg is probably in line for Campbell type money.   So why not just retain our guy instead? 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @sdbacker80 said:

    Weird trade Greg is playing well. Campbell signed the big contract hasn’t lived up to it this season.  Greg is probably in line for Campbell type money.   So why not just retain our guy instead? 

    I actually thought Newsome was playing some of his best football this year.   There's been situations where opponents have been able to match their best WR up on him (even with Ward on the field) and Newsome pleasant surprised me a lot more than once.  Now that he's playing the way I hoped he would - the Browns traded him for another Corner?  The timing seems weird; but there's probably reasons I don't think of as a fan.  Jax's Defense has 10 INTs going into this week; but Tyson Campbell didn't have any of them.  FWIW - here's his stats this year:

    image.png.cbf35160cc27f6a53cfde249328ec0b6.png

    Here's Greg Newsome's Stats:

    image.png.4a8cdbad599f18923db2e3d66401c371.png

    Between the 2 guys regarding turnovers - there's 0 INTs and 1 Forced Fumble.  Both teams may be getting what they want without losing very much??? 

  • Newsome is playing this season on the 5th yr option with a salary of 13.38M, and is a free agent after the season.

    Newsome's salary for the rest of the season goes fully over to Jags.  Campbell's salary for full season is 8. 

    None of the cap management sites show the changes to Campbell's contract to reflect what Browns are responsible for, but the 5M lower salary + contract control + no signing bonus seems like a decent purpose. 

    Money Mitch he's not, but my guess is this guy is a potential trade sweetener for future deals such as moving up in rd1 in 2026.

    R Reality wrote on last edited by Reality
    #8

    @unsympathetic said:

    Newsome is playing this season on the 5th yr option with a salary of 13.38M, and is a free agent after the season.

    Newsome's salary for the rest of the season goes fully over to Jags.  Campbell's salary for full season is 8. 

    None of the cap management sites show the changes to Campbell's contract to reflect what Browns are responsible for, but the 5M lower salary + contract control + no signing bonus seems like a decent purpose. 

    Money Mitch he's not, but my guess is this guy is a potential trade sweetener for future deals such as moving up in rd1 in 2026.

    Well, the guaranteed money is all in JAX books.  Guaranteed money paid doesn't transfer over.

    Add in Campbell signed his contract in 2024.  Newsome would be signing a new deal two years later.   So his contract would end up higher across the board than what Campbell signed in 2024

  • sydS syd wrote on last edited by syd
    #9

    here are our picks before the newsome trade

    Browns 2026 NFL Draft picks

    • 1st round pick
    • 1st round pick via JAX (2025 tradedown)
    • 2nd round pick
    • 3rd round pick
    • 4th round pick
    • 5th round pick
    • 5th round pick via LV (Kenny Pickett trade)
    • 5th round pick via CIN (Joe Flacco trade)
    • 6th round pick via NYJ (Jowon Briggs trade)
    • 7th round pick via SEA (Za'Darius Smith trade)
  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #10

    Campbell is a much, much better schematic fit for the team in comparison to Newsome, and his presence will also allow Denzel Ward to stick to the boundary side of the field (where he’s at his best), as Campbell is a career-field or outside corner.

    Overall, this wasn’t the type of trade that could be subjected to the argument of “If Campbell was so good, then why did Jacksonville get rid of him?”. It’s simply a preferred personnel-type/scheme fit move that could end up coming with the bonus of being less expensive for Cleveland over the course of Campbell’s second contract.

    Browns fans should be excited about the fact that pressing at the LOS could be more effective as well with Campbell’s physicality and length when dealing with bigger, AFC North-style wide receivers like Tee Higgins and D.K. Metcalf going forward.

    This was an A+ move for Cleveland on paper. Let’s hope it plays out that way in real life.

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #11

     Something beyond the money not being brought up - the Brownies defense has played more 2 high shell this year than anytime under Schwartz. 

     Campbell is a hell of a corner in terms of sticking his nose into the run fits.   I wonder if this is yet another signal that the trends of more cover 2, 4, 5 & 6 will continue increasing.  

  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #12

    So, is this our new starting corner in...umm...2 days?  I shouldn't envision any blown assignments right?   If I'm the Steelers I'd be loading his side with receivers.  

  • So, is this our new starting corner in...umm...2 days?  I shouldn't envision any blown assignments right?   If I'm the Steelers I'd be loading his side with receivers.  

    IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @orion said:

    So, is this our new starting corner in...umm...2 days?  I shouldn't envision any blown assignments right?   If I'm the Steelers I'd be loading his side with receivers.  

    The Bengals are starting Joe Flacco this week, so why not? 

  •  Something beyond the money not being brought up - the Brownies defense has played more 2 high shell this year than anytime under Schwartz. 

     Campbell is a hell of a corner in terms of sticking his nose into the run fits.   I wonder if this is yet another signal that the trends of more cover 2, 4, 5 & 6 will continue increasing.  

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @tiamat63 said:

     Something beyond the money not being brought up - the Brownies defense has played more 2 high shell this year than anytime under Schwartz. 

     Campbell is a hell of a corner in terms of sticking his nose into the run fits.   I wonder if this is yet another signal that the trends of more cover 2, 4, 5 & 6 will continue increasing.  

    Maybe Greg Newsomes celebrations got old too.. Not saying its the sole reason.. only added to the decision..

  • @tiamat63 said:

     Something beyond the money not being brought up - the Brownies defense has played more 2 high shell this year than anytime under Schwartz. 

     Campbell is a hell of a corner in terms of sticking his nose into the run fits.   I wonder if this is yet another signal that the trends of more cover 2, 4, 5 & 6 will continue increasing.  

    Maybe Greg Newsomes celebrations got old too.. Not saying its the sole reason.. only added to the decision..

    IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @nickers said:

    Maybe Greg Newsomes celebrations got old too.. Not saying its the sole reason.. only added to the decision..

    Were Greg Newsome’s celebrations outlandish? I don’t remember if so. Denzel Ward does that corny Pete Townshend-esque windmill guitar thing when he makes a good play. 

  • @nickers said:

    Maybe Greg Newsomes celebrations got old too.. Not saying its the sole reason.. only added to the decision..

    Were Greg Newsome’s celebrations outlandish? I don’t remember if so. Denzel Ward does that corny Pete Townshend-esque windmill guitar thing when he makes a good play. 

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @ibleedbrown said:

    Were Greg Newsome’s celebrations outlandish? I don’t remember if so. Denzel Ward does that corny Pete Townshend-esque windmill guitar thing when he makes a good play. 

    Yeah , Watson does that shit too...

  • OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by Orion
    #17

    I've grown to not mind a little celebration after ya make a good play.  But it's to the point that if a receiver drops a pass, the defender is celebrating as if he's a hero.  They're trying to brand and promote themselves.  Look At Me

    --------

    When asked about Tyson Campbell, the Browns’ defensive coordinator had nothing but praise for him.

    “Good size, great straight-line speed. Probably more of a scheme fit for us than he was with new regime in Jacksonville. Good press coverage guy, challenges guys physically,” Schwartz said, via Scott Petrak.

  • So, is this our new starting corner in...umm...2 days?  I shouldn't envision any blown assignments right?   If I'm the Steelers I'd be loading his side with receivers.  

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @orion said:

    So, is this our new starting corner in...umm...2 days?  I shouldn't envision any blown assignments right?   If I'm the Steelers I'd be loading his side with receivers.  

    Possibly, but we have had those anyway.

    Defensive concepts aren't all that different from team to team.  Terminology might be different, but concepts aren't all that different.  I would suspect that one of the other DB's will be mentoring him as they break huddle to make sure he is clear on the coverage.

  • @orion said:

    So, is this our new starting corner in...umm...2 days?  I shouldn't envision any blown assignments right?   If I'm the Steelers I'd be loading his side with receivers.  

    Possibly, but we have had those anyway.

    Defensive concepts aren't all that different from team to team.  Terminology might be different, but concepts aren't all that different.  I would suspect that one of the other DB's will be mentoring him as they break huddle to make sure he is clear on the coverage.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @ballpeen said:

    Possibly, but we have had those anyway.

    Defensive concepts aren't all that different from team to team.  Terminology might be different, but concepts aren't all that different.  I would suspect that one of the other DB's will be mentoring him as they break huddle to make sure he is clear on the coverage.

    True.  The Bengals found ways to isolate Newsome defending Chase and Newsome responded well to the challenge IMO.  I think I remember 2 plays he made running down the sidelines hip to hip with Chase knocking the ball down.  That said, I don't know who to blame for how wide open Zay Flowers was all game against the Rats.  My guess is some man to man a lot of man to man coverage with corners turning their back toward a QB with the footspeed of Lamar Jackson has isn't advisable.  Not only that but some coaches like to use zones to keep their LBers/DBs better positioned against the run which is important when facing a RB like Derrick Henry.  On the other hand, if you have a Myles Garrett upfront - it might be worth some trial and error mixing in some man to man with press coverage at the LOS to get some QB pressures. 

    That could have been a much better game if the offense competed that day...   

  • sydS syd

    here are our picks before the newsome trade

    Browns 2026 NFL Draft picks

    • 1st round pick
    • 1st round pick via JAX (2025 tradedown)
    • 2nd round pick
    • 3rd round pick
    • 4th round pick
    • 5th round pick
    • 5th round pick via LV (Kenny Pickett trade)
    • 5th round pick via CIN (Joe Flacco trade)
    • 6th round pick via NYJ (Jowon Briggs trade)
    • 7th round pick via SEA (Za'Darius Smith trade)
    Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @syd said:

    here are our picks before the newsome trade

    Browns 2026 NFL Draft picks

    • 1st round pick
    • 1st round pick via JAX (2025 tradedown)
    • 2nd round pick
    • 3rd round pick
    • 4th round pick
    • 5th round pick
    • 5th round pick via LV (Kenny Pickett trade)
    • 5th round pick via CIN (Joe Flacco trade)
    • 6th round pick via NYJ (Jowon Briggs trade)
    • 7th round pick via SEA (Za'Darius Smith trade)

    Right now OUR 1st round pick is pick 2