Skip to content

College Football Matchups This Weekend 10/24/25

The Browns Board
32 9 390 1
  • Alabama vs South Carolina is intriguing regarding both team’s talented but inexperienced quarterbacks 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @dutch-oven said:

    Alabama vs South Carolina is intriguing regarding both team’s talented but inexperienced quarterbacks 

    Well said Dutch!  

    LaNorris Sellers reminds a little of a former 1st round draft pick the Buffalo Bills made back in 2013 at #16 overall.  This was 6'4" 237 lb QB EJ Manuel from Florida State. 

    As you'll see, Manuel's stats were decent.  That said, his leadership was unquestionably great leading the Seminoles to a 12-2 record in his final year; while his overall record as a starter was 25-6.

    image.png.0bdb96e8731983f0c74073d59035bce0.png

    image.png.6aabb190f90f7cb2adb1486eda7bea29.png

    As you can see below, this isn't just what she said - LaNorris Sellers is a Gamecock QB with good size.  I'm actually showing this similarity to Manuel because I think he might just go down as a good college QB with nothing to be ashamed of; while the Browns need a franchise QB.  In fairness, I haven't seen too much of Sellers but Manuel isn't the only college football QB he reminds me of - Tim Tebow also comes to mind.  This year unfortunately, the only team South Carolina has beaten this year with Sellers is a struggling Kentucky Wildcats team.  This matchup vrs Alabama would be a great stage for him to shine on.  

    image.png.a1082c294e3fa709f7cfa3ad8e336a3f.png

    image.png.a01e97d1907b18f14253876781fa206a.png 

  • Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #11

    EJ Manuel is a good comp to Sellers Flugs! I've been thinking size/build-wise he kind of reminds me of Steve McNair. 

    Thick. 

    He's got great size and physical tools, but he's still a work in progress in the passing game and his team is doing him zero favors this season. The U will probably try to buy him for his senior season like they did with Cam Ward and Carson Beck. ?

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Wish him well on his recovery.  Torn pecs are no joke. 

    Was his injury in-game or during a team lift? 

    In game

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @nickers said:

    In game

    That's rough, because a torn pec in game usually means your shoulder took a nasty pull with it as well. If he's a lineman, edge or off-ball backer and was reaching out to get hands on a ball carrier or QB, I can only hope there wasn't any tearing of the anterior delt with it.  

  • @nickers said:

    In game

    That's rough, because a torn pec in game usually means your shoulder took a nasty pull with it as well. If he's a lineman, edge or off-ball backer and was reaching out to get hands on a ball carrier or QB, I can only hope there wasn't any tearing of the anterior delt with it.  

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @tiamat63 said:

    That's rough, because a torn pec in game usually means your shoulder took a nasty pull with it as well. If he's a lineman, edge or off-ball backer and was reaching out to get hands on a ball carrier or QB, I can only hope there wasn't any tearing of the anterior delt with it.  

    Yeah... I'll find out more when I get a chance to talk to my brother... All we can do is hope for the best at this point..

  • Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #14

    I've seen SC on TV twice, not really impressed with Sellers. Reminds me of Malik Willis, with the size, speed, strength. 

    Could he be something special in time is the question.

  • EJ Manuel is a good comp to Sellers Flugs! I've been thinking size/build-wise he kind of reminds me of Steve McNair. 

    Thick. 

    He's got great size and physical tools, but he's still a work in progress in the passing game and his team is doing him zero favors this season. The U will probably try to buy him for his senior season like they did with Cam Ward and Carson Beck. ?

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @dutch-oven said:

    EJ Manuel is a good comp to Sellers Flugs! I've been thinking size/build-wise he kind of reminds me of Steve McNair. 

    Thick. 

    He's got great size and physical tools, but he's still a work in progress in the passing game and his team is doing him zero favors this season. The U will probably try to buy him for his senior season like they did with Cam Ward and Carson Beck. ?

    McNair is a great body frame/build comparison.  I didn't even think of him, which would have been fine if I didn't live in Nashville for 11 years... 

    Miami almost bailed Beck out to a better draft fate until he threw 4 INTs vrs Louisville.  The fans probably started calling the poor guy "Vinny" down there after that game.  Just kidding, I like the kid (but that's who I think of when he gets cold) and I liked Vinny.  Bill Parcells called Vinny off the retirement couch with the Jets and again with the Cowboys.  Let's just say I respect the cred given in that one it was like a "if he plays for me - you're not gonna see the meathead he was for other Coaching Staffs."

    Along that same line, all these QB prospects are at the mercy of the NFL Teams/Organizations that invest in them.  We know the rest of the story...

  • @dutch-oven said:

    EJ Manuel is a good comp to Sellers Flugs! I've been thinking size/build-wise he kind of reminds me of Steve McNair. 

    Thick. 

    He's got great size and physical tools, but he's still a work in progress in the passing game and his team is doing him zero favors this season. The U will probably try to buy him for his senior season like they did with Cam Ward and Carson Beck. ?

    McNair is a great body frame/build comparison.  I didn't even think of him, which would have been fine if I didn't live in Nashville for 11 years... 

    Miami almost bailed Beck out to a better draft fate until he threw 4 INTs vrs Louisville.  The fans probably started calling the poor guy "Vinny" down there after that game.  Just kidding, I like the kid (but that's who I think of when he gets cold) and I liked Vinny.  Bill Parcells called Vinny off the retirement couch with the Jets and again with the Cowboys.  Let's just say I respect the cred given in that one it was like a "if he plays for me - you're not gonna see the meathead he was for other Coaching Staffs."

    Along that same line, all these QB prospects are at the mercy of the NFL Teams/Organizations that invest in them.  We know the rest of the story...

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @flugel said:

    Along that same line, all these QB prospects are at the mercy of the NFL Teams/Organizations that invest in them.  We know the rest of the story...

    Which is why if the Browns bring the front office/coaching staff back in 2026 that would scare the ever-loving poop out of me regarding their treatment of a first round quarterback, if they were to take one. 

    Not sure there's really a NFL-ready guy that would come out in the upcoming draft, especially considering who the guys are that are considered possible first rounders. A front office/coaching staff fighting for their jobs aren't the people who are going to leisurely bring along a young QB like Mahomes or Jordan Love were. 

    They will toss that QB to the wolves as soon as things go even remotely sideways. 

  • I've seen SC on TV twice, not really impressed with Sellers. Reminds me of Malik Willis, with the size, speed, strength. 

    Could he be something special in time is the question.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @bob806 said:

    I've seen SC on TV twice, not really impressed with Sellers. Reminds me of Malik Willis, with the size, speed, strength. 

    Could he be something special in time is the question.

    Well said Bob!  Willis is another good comparison to Sellers.

    If someone with an offensive staff and surrounding talent like SF that developed Brock Purdy into a very early success and have recently made Mac Jones a much more efficient QB than either of his previous teams - a similar type of organization and set-up could work.  On the other hand, they didn't have the same luck or magic with their 2021 1st round pick Trey Lance who is probably more wired like Sellers than Purdy or Jones.  That didn't take long to railroad myself now did it?

  • @bob806 said:

    I've seen SC on TV twice, not really impressed with Sellers. Reminds me of Malik Willis, with the size, speed, strength. 

    Could he be something special in time is the question.

    Well said Bob!  Willis is another good comparison to Sellers.

    If someone with an offensive staff and surrounding talent like SF that developed Brock Purdy into a very early success and have recently made Mac Jones a much more efficient QB than either of his previous teams - a similar type of organization and set-up could work.  On the other hand, they didn't have the same luck or magic with their 2021 1st round pick Trey Lance who is probably more wired like Sellers than Purdy or Jones.  That didn't take long to railroad myself now did it?

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @flugel said:

    Well said Bob!  Willis is another good comparison to Sellers.

    If someone with an offensive staff and surrounding talent like SF that developed Brock Purdy into a very early success and have recently made Mac Jones a much more efficient QB than either of his previous teams - a similar type of organization and set-up could work.  On the other hand, they didn't have the same luck or magic with their 2021 1st round pick Trey Lance who is probably more wired like Sellers than Purdy or Jones.  That didn't take long to railroad myself now did it?

    Interesting that you mentioned Trey Lance, because he's a poster boy about taking a QB with limited college experience high and how it didn't work out for him in the NFL.

    Lance had 17 college starts at North Dakota State. Limited starts at a below top football level. 

  • @flugel said:

    Well said Bob!  Willis is another good comparison to Sellers.

    If someone with an offensive staff and surrounding talent like SF that developed Brock Purdy into a very early success and have recently made Mac Jones a much more efficient QB than either of his previous teams - a similar type of organization and set-up could work.  On the other hand, they didn't have the same luck or magic with their 2021 1st round pick Trey Lance who is probably more wired like Sellers than Purdy or Jones.  That didn't take long to railroad myself now did it?

    Interesting that you mentioned Trey Lance, because he's a poster boy about taking a QB with limited college experience high and how it didn't work out for him in the NFL.

    Lance had 17 college starts at North Dakota State. Limited starts at a below top football level. 

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @dutch-oven said:

    Interesting that you mentioned Trey Lance, because he's a poster boy about taking a QB with limited college experience high and how it didn't work out for him in the NFL.

    Lance had 17 college starts at North Dakota State. Limited starts at a below top football level. 

    I hear ya.  I don't know of any/many 1 year wonders in college that showed up to the NFL ready to ace the gig for an NFL team coming off a disappointing/horrible season.  Klubnik has a lot of experience but I'm not a big fan of him in round 1.  That said he won multiple state championships in Texas

    The prospect most familiar with the offense Tommy Rees installed at Bama is Ty Simpson who is looking great as a product of patience/awaiting his turn as a senior at Alabama.  If we're going to be weighing him against many others with equivalent starting experience - he might not be a bad choice at all.  He's peaking at the right time.  Having said that, he's played in games all 4 seasons so there was game action beyond this year.  

    FWIW, his father Jason Simpson has been the HC Football Coach at UT Martin since 2006 and won 5 Ohio Valley Conference Championships.  Stupid question - Can you tell I like this kid?

  • IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
    #20

    I’m going to tune in to the IU v. UCLA game. I like Mendoza and Sarratt, but IU has a defense that’s fun to watch too.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    Interesting that you mentioned Trey Lance, because he's a poster boy about taking a QB with limited college experience high and how it didn't work out for him in the NFL.

    Lance had 17 college starts at North Dakota State. Limited starts at a below top football level. 

    I hear ya.  I don't know of any/many 1 year wonders in college that showed up to the NFL ready to ace the gig for an NFL team coming off a disappointing/horrible season.  Klubnik has a lot of experience but I'm not a big fan of him in round 1.  That said he won multiple state championships in Texas

    The prospect most familiar with the offense Tommy Rees installed at Bama is Ty Simpson who is looking great as a product of patience/awaiting his turn as a senior at Alabama.  If we're going to be weighing him against many others with equivalent starting experience - he might not be a bad choice at all.  He's peaking at the right time.  Having said that, he's played in games all 4 seasons so there was game action beyond this year.  

    FWIW, his father Jason Simpson has been the HC Football Coach at UT Martin since 2006 and won 5 Ohio Valley Conference Championships.  Stupid question - Can you tell I like this kid?

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @flugel said:

    The prospect most familiar with the offense Tommy Rees installed at Bama is Ty Simpson who is looking great as a product of patience/awaiting his turn as a senior at Alabama.  If we're going to be weighing him against many others with equivalent starting experience - he might not be a bad choice at all.  He's peaking at the right time.  Having said that, he's played in games all 4 seasons so there was game action beyond this year.  

    FWIW, his father Jason Simpson has been the HC Football Coach at UT Martin since 2006 and won 5 Ohio Valley Conference Championships.  Stupid question - Can you tell I like this kid?

    I'm a big fan of his too. He's a redshirt junior, he can and should go back to school next year.

  • IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
    #22

    The IU game was a bloodbath. Some of those Hoosier defenders are worth looking at come draft time. 

    I didn’t realize Fernando Mendoza had a younger brother on the IU team that helped recruit him, Alberto, and he got in to the game on mop up duty.

    Now on to UC v. Baylor.

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #23

    And Texas A&M dominates LSU in Death Valley in the second half scoring 35 points and holding LSU to a meaningless 7 with a minute to go in the game. Nussmeier is slowly fading from the draft charts.

  • And Texas A&M dominates LSU in Death Valley in the second half scoring 35 points and holding LSU to a meaningless 7 with a minute to go in the game. Nussmeier is slowly fading from the draft charts.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @texasag1969 said:

    And Texas A&M dominates LSU in Death Valley in the second half scoring 35 points and holding LSU to a meaningless 7 with a minute to go in the game. Nussmeier is slowly fading from the draft charts.

    And LaNorris Sellers looks like a pedestrian 3rd down scat back to me...

  • And Texas A&M dominates LSU in Death Valley in the second half scoring 35 points and holding LSU to a meaningless 7 with a minute to go in the game. Nussmeier is slowly fading from the draft charts.

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @texasag1969 said:

    And Texas A&M dominates LSU in Death Valley in the second half scoring 35 points and holding LSU to a meaningless 7 with a minute to go in the game. Nussmeier is slowly fading from the draft charts.

    Never a easy trip in to Baton Rouge on a Saturday night.  The Aggies look good.

  • @dutch-oven said:

    EJ Manuel is a good comp to Sellers Flugs! I've been thinking size/build-wise he kind of reminds me of Steve McNair. 

    Thick. 

    He's got great size and physical tools, but he's still a work in progress in the passing game and his team is doing him zero favors this season. The U will probably try to buy him for his senior season like they did with Cam Ward and Carson Beck. ?

    McNair is a great body frame/build comparison.  I didn't even think of him, which would have been fine if I didn't live in Nashville for 11 years... 

    Miami almost bailed Beck out to a better draft fate until he threw 4 INTs vrs Louisville.  The fans probably started calling the poor guy "Vinny" down there after that game.  Just kidding, I like the kid (but that's who I think of when he gets cold) and I liked Vinny.  Bill Parcells called Vinny off the retirement couch with the Jets and again with the Cowboys.  Let's just say I respect the cred given in that one it was like a "if he plays for me - you're not gonna see the meathead he was for other Coaching Staffs."

    Along that same line, all these QB prospects are at the mercy of the NFL Teams/Organizations that invest in them.  We know the rest of the story...

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @flugel said:

    McNair is a great body frame/build comparison.  I didn't even think of him, which would have been fine if I didn't live in Nashville for 11 years... 

    Miami almost bailed Beck out to a better draft fate until he threw 4 INTs vrs Louisville.  The fans probably started calling the poor guy "Vinny" down there after that game.  Just kidding, I like the kid (but that's who I think of when he gets cold) and I liked Vinny.  Bill Parcells called Vinny off the retirement couch with the Jets and again with the Cowboys.  Let's just say I respect the cred given in that one it was like a "if he plays for me - you're not gonna see the meathead he was for other Coaching Staffs."

    Along that same line, all these QB prospects are at the mercy of the NFL Teams/Organizations that invest in them.  We know the rest of the story...

    I dont see Steve McNair... McNair was tall and strong.. Sellers looks a thick scat back to me..

  • @flugel said:

    McNair is a great body frame/build comparison.  I didn't even think of him, which would have been fine if I didn't live in Nashville for 11 years... 

    Miami almost bailed Beck out to a better draft fate until he threw 4 INTs vrs Louisville.  The fans probably started calling the poor guy "Vinny" down there after that game.  Just kidding, I like the kid (but that's who I think of when he gets cold) and I liked Vinny.  Bill Parcells called Vinny off the retirement couch with the Jets and again with the Cowboys.  Let's just say I respect the cred given in that one it was like a "if he plays for me - you're not gonna see the meathead he was for other Coaching Staffs."

    Along that same line, all these QB prospects are at the mercy of the NFL Teams/Organizations that invest in them.  We know the rest of the story...

    I dont see Steve McNair... McNair was tall and strong.. Sellers looks a thick scat back to me..

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @nickers said:

    I dont see Steve McNair... McNair was tall and strong.. Sellers looks a thick scat back to me..

    This below is what I posted Friday, but a couple replies I got mentioned Willis & McNair which were also good comparisons imo. Every time I see Sellers the preferred skill for him in the game plan seems to be running the ball.  If you noticed I compared him to a former 1st round pick for the Bills but it wasn't Josh Allen it was EJ Manuel. I'm not sure Sellers has the ability to beat NFL teams with his arm - that's jmo though.  Josh Allen's passing sets up his ability to run.  Having said that, Buffalo has been saying they'd prefer that he runs less frequently as he gets older - and last year RBs James Cook and Ray Davis combined for 320 carries with 207 & 113 respectively.  Allen still had 102 carries.  This year Cook already has 107 carries in just 6 games so we can see Buffalo's plan to reduce Allen's frequency of carrying the ball.  Obviously, those won't go away completely because he's a scoring threat when he takes off.  

    image.thumb.png.2425d3fc6df328638d7d6e464edfb885.png

  • @texasag1969 said:

    And Texas A&M dominates LSU in Death Valley in the second half scoring 35 points and holding LSU to a meaningless 7 with a minute to go in the game. Nussmeier is slowly fading from the draft charts.

    And LaNorris Sellers looks like a pedestrian 3rd down scat back to me...

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @nickers said:

    And LaNorris Sellers looks like a pedestrian 3rd down scat back to me...

    Me too.  

  • And Texas A&M dominates LSU in Death Valley in the second half scoring 35 points and holding LSU to a meaningless 7 with a minute to go in the game. Nussmeier is slowly fading from the draft charts.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @texasag1969 said:

    And Texas A&M dominates LSU in Death Valley in the second half scoring 35 points and holding LSU to a meaningless 7 with a minute to go in the game. Nussmeier is slowly fading from the draft charts.

    I don't think I've seen another team in college football this year that has the gears your Aggies have.  WOW!