Skip to content

Boycott the bullshit

The Browns Board
53 16 1.2k 1
  • This is not maybe a popular idea but I think the browns should fold the Cleveland browns name and colors and come out in their shiny new stadium with a new identity that isn't synonymous with failure. 

    The only thing these players know about the Cleveland browns is that they have kicked the living shit out of them for their entire lives on Madden. They only know a perpetual loser. That's how long it's been.  The 80s we're almost 50 years ago. 

    Reinvent. Come out wearing a different color. Red maybe. There's no red in the division. They can wear the orange and brown as a throwback. 

    F FY56 wrote on last edited by
    #42

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    This is not maybe a popular idea but I think the browns should fold the Cleveland browns name and colors and come out in their shiny new stadium with a new identity that isn't synonymous with failure. 

    The only thing these players know about the Cleveland browns is that they have kicked the living shit out of them for their entire lives on Madden. They only know a perpetual loser. That's how long it's been.  The 80s we're almost 50 years ago. 

    Reinvent. Come out wearing a different color. Red maybe. There's no red in the division. They can wear the orange and brown as a throwback. 

    It worked before.

    Won 2 Super Bowls.

    Should have folded the name and colors in 1996 leaving a storied legacy intact.

    Instead we have become the most dysfunctional and laughed at sports franchise in the history of all professional sports. 

  • Dad and I used to go to the games a couple times a year, sat in blizzards, had great fun. These recent years, a close friend and I have gone to a few games in the past, tailgates....until ...that....asinine trade for watson. 

    Now, I don't see the Browns being a great team til maybe they get a new respectable owner. I just don't see the haslams as being respectable owners at all. Well, and also a new head coach.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #43

    @calfoxwc said:

    I just don't see the haslams as being respectable owners at all.

    What?  Just because they're crooks and cheated hard working home heating oil delivery companies out of their rebates?  Heck!  I'm surprised he wasn't asked to take a job at the white house.  

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    This is not maybe a popular idea but I think the browns should fold the Cleveland browns name and colors and come out in their shiny new stadium with a new identity that isn't synonymous with failure. 

    The only thing these players know about the Cleveland browns is that they have kicked the living shit out of them for their entire lives on Madden. They only know a perpetual loser. That's how long it's been.  The 80s we're almost 50 years ago. 

    Reinvent. Come out wearing a different color. Red maybe. There's no red in the division. They can wear the orange and brown as a throwback. 

    It worked before.

    Won 2 Super Bowls.

    Should have folded the name and colors in 1996 leaving a storied legacy intact.

    Instead we have become the most dysfunctional and laughed at sports franchise in the history of all professional sports. 

    Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #44

    @fy56 said:

    Should have folded the name and colors in 1996 leaving a storied legacy intact.

    Instead we have become the most dysfunctional and laughed at sports franchise in the history of all professional sports. 

    Uh, no.

    The Browns are Cleveland's team. Too bad it took a lawsuit to keep the name and colors (I'm sure you know that), and it should have never happened. Eff Tagliabue & Modell, criminals in what they did/allowed. 

    Your first two sentences actually pissed me off, I'll leave it at that.

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #45

    The rams were Cleveland's team too. So were the spiders. And the Indians. Times change but the browns being terrible never do. I'm 45 years old and the last time the browns won an NFL championship my mother was 8. These players don't even remember the respectable failures of the 80s. The browns are the expansion browns and nothing else. 

  • The rams were Cleveland's team too. So were the spiders. And the Indians. Times change but the browns being terrible never do. I'm 45 years old and the last time the browns won an NFL championship my mother was 8. These players don't even remember the respectable failures of the 80s. The browns are the expansion browns and nothing else. 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #46

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    I'm 45 years old and the last time the browns won an NFL championship my mother was 8.

    I was also 8.

    Boycott the Bullshit:   I certainly understand the frustration.  But the problem is that none of those players, coaches, FO people, nor the Haslams aren't doing their best to win and be successful.  That's no bullshit.  If a player wasn't trying their best, they'd be replaced.  Most every player/coach in the league has extreme pride in their 'game'...and they want the guy on the other side of the LOS to know why they made it to the NFL.

    You may not like the Haslams.  I know that I don't.  But I don't doubt that they're trying their best to make the team great.  You can fault their decisions, but not their intentions.

    I read an article once where Dee Haslam ran into Joe Thomas's wife in the supermarket.  They got to talking and Dee was trying to explain to Mrs. Thomas how sorry she was that the Browns weren't good.  That they were trying their hardest...and that they came into NFL ownership not realizing how difficult it was.  Dee was explaining, while tears were running down her face, that they want the team to be successful and that they're going to keep learning and keep doing everything that they can to make the team good again.  -  I truly believe that they have their heart and soul into it.  Certainly you can't say that they won't spend any amount of money to get the best players, equipment, etc.

    OK...so that and 25 cents will get you a gumball.  But you don't boycott your child because he/she is struggling in elementary school.  You support the child, help the child, get the child help (tutoring?) if necessary.   All WE can do is support the Browns.  And why would we do that?  Because we love the Browns.  Not like how we love our children of course, but it's a love just the same.  If you're a regular on a Browns message board...then you love the Browns.  

    If everyone boycotted the Browns then they'd pack up and move somewhere else.  There!  That'll fix 'em!   And the NFL won't give you another team because you didn't support the one you had.  If you want to show displeasure, show up to the games wearing paper bags over your head...thousands of paper bags in the stands sends a message to the NFL community.  Remember, booing and wearing bags is STILL a sign of passion in the team.

    When should you boycott the team in mass?  Well, if you have an owner that is just in it for the money and satisfaction of saying that they own an NFL team.  If they're not spending money to get good players.  If they're not really trying to put a good team on the field.  At which point fans could decide, WTF, we're better off without a team.  

    I don't care for Jimmy Haslam.  But I don't root for the owner(s).  I may not like a player or two.  I root for the team.  For the history, the heritage....the Browns.

    MHO

  • The rams were Cleveland's team too. So were the spiders. And the Indians. Times change but the browns being terrible never do. I'm 45 years old and the last time the browns won an NFL championship my mother was 8. These players don't even remember the respectable failures of the 80s. The browns are the expansion browns and nothing else. 

    Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by
    #47

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    The rams were Cleveland's team too. So were the spiders. And the Indians. Times change but the browns being terrible never do. I'm 45 years old and the last time the browns won an NFL championship my mother was 8. These players don't even remember the respectable failures of the 80s. The browns are the expansion browns and nothing else. 

    It's rough for just about all of us in the fan base. Sorry, I get admittedly triggered when fans say "the real Browns left," that's why I replied to @fy56's post. 

    I'm 62, so only a 1 year old when the Browns won. My earliest memories of the Browns is 1971, they were a playoff team. They made it in 1972, so I thought playoffs were pretty routine (ouch), and after that, really it's been downhill except the heartbreaking run in the mid-to late 80s. A smattering of over .500 seasons is all we've had since Art Modell bought the Browns in 1963.

    The chart shows why I can't ever forget what Modell did. Took a storied franchise and flushed it down the drain. 

    Like @orion wrote, Haslam is trying, he just doesn't know how. I'm hoping the DePodesta departure removes an unnecessary layer for AB and they start to thrive. They have a decent core of younger guys, another good draft maybe we inch closer to .500. It's just so crazy they looked like a real up & coming team in 2018, DePodesta (in my opinion) destroyed the roster. 

    photocollage_2025317155438205.jpg

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    I'm 45 years old and the last time the browns won an NFL championship my mother was 8.

    I was also 8.

    Boycott the Bullshit:   I certainly understand the frustration.  But the problem is that none of those players, coaches, FO people, nor the Haslams aren't doing their best to win and be successful.  That's no bullshit.  If a player wasn't trying their best, they'd be replaced.  Most every player/coach in the league has extreme pride in their 'game'...and they want the guy on the other side of the LOS to know why they made it to the NFL.

    You may not like the Haslams.  I know that I don't.  But I don't doubt that they're trying their best to make the team great.  You can fault their decisions, but not their intentions.

    I read an article once where Dee Haslam ran into Joe Thomas's wife in the supermarket.  They got to talking and Dee was trying to explain to Mrs. Thomas how sorry she was that the Browns weren't good.  That they were trying their hardest...and that they came into NFL ownership not realizing how difficult it was.  Dee was explaining, while tears were running down her face, that they want the team to be successful and that they're going to keep learning and keep doing everything that they can to make the team good again.  -  I truly believe that they have their heart and soul into it.  Certainly you can't say that they won't spend any amount of money to get the best players, equipment, etc.

    OK...so that and 25 cents will get you a gumball.  But you don't boycott your child because he/she is struggling in elementary school.  You support the child, help the child, get the child help (tutoring?) if necessary.   All WE can do is support the Browns.  And why would we do that?  Because we love the Browns.  Not like how we love our children of course, but it's a love just the same.  If you're a regular on a Browns message board...then you love the Browns.  

    If everyone boycotted the Browns then they'd pack up and move somewhere else.  There!  That'll fix 'em!   And the NFL won't give you another team because you didn't support the one you had.  If you want to show displeasure, show up to the games wearing paper bags over your head...thousands of paper bags in the stands sends a message to the NFL community.  Remember, booing and wearing bags is STILL a sign of passion in the team.

    When should you boycott the team in mass?  Well, if you have an owner that is just in it for the money and satisfaction of saying that they own an NFL team.  If they're not spending money to get good players.  If they're not really trying to put a good team on the field.  At which point fans could decide, WTF, we're better off without a team.  

    I don't care for Jimmy Haslam.  But I don't root for the owner(s).  I may not like a player or two.  I root for the team.  For the history, the heritage....the Browns.

    MHO

    The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #48

    @orion said:

    I was also 8.

    Boycott the Bullshit:   I certainly understand the frustration.  But the problem is that none of those players, coaches, FO people, nor the Haslams aren't doing their best to win and be successful.  That's no bullshit.  If a player wasn't trying their best, they'd be replaced.  Most every player/coach in the league has extreme pride in their 'game'...and they want the guy on the other side of the LOS to know why they made it to the NFL.

    You may not like the Haslams.  I know that I don't.  But I don't doubt that they're trying their best to make the team great.  You can fault their decisions, but not their intentions.

    I read an article once where Dee Haslam ran into Joe Thomas's wife in the supermarket.  They got to talking and Dee was trying to explain to Mrs. Thomas how sorry she was that the Browns weren't good.  That they were trying their hardest...and that they came into NFL ownership not realizing how difficult it was.  Dee was explaining, while tears were running down her face, that they want the team to be successful and that they're going to keep learning and keep doing everything that they can to make the team good again.  -  I truly believe that they have their heart and soul into it.  Certainly you can't say that they won't spend any amount of money to get the best players, equipment, etc.

    OK...so that and 25 cents will get you a gumball.  But you don't boycott your child because he/she is struggling in elementary school.  You support the child, help the child, get the child help (tutoring?) if necessary.   All WE can do is support the Browns.  And why would we do that?  Because we love the Browns.  Not like how we love our children of course, but it's a love just the same.  If you're a regular on a Browns message board...then you love the Browns.  

    If everyone boycotted the Browns then they'd pack up and move somewhere else.  There!  That'll fix 'em!   And the NFL won't give you another team because you didn't support the one you had.  If you want to show displeasure, show up to the games wearing paper bags over your head...thousands of paper bags in the stands sends a message to the NFL community.  Remember, booing and wearing bags is STILL a sign of passion in the team.

    When should you boycott the team in mass?  Well, if you have an owner that is just in it for the money and satisfaction of saying that they own an NFL team.  If they're not spending money to get good players.  If they're not really trying to put a good team on the field.  At which point fans could decide, WTF, we're better off without a team.  

    I don't care for Jimmy Haslam.  But I don't root for the owner(s).  I may not like a player or two.  I root for the team.  For the history, the heritage....the Browns.

    MHO

    There is no history or heritage. This team began in 1999 cosplaying as an older respected team that moved away. They've completely trashed the name and legacy that the Cleveland browns once carried. Now it's a joke. By far the worst franchise in the league maybe all of sports. The players have no enthusiasm to play here and why should they? The stadium is widely known as the "factory of sadness"  I'd fold the name and colors. Come out wearing red and black and with a new name that the players can build a legacy that isn't saving the dumpster fire Cleveland browns from circling the drain. You can't do shit with orange and brown and anyways the Bengals are considered the better orange team in the division. We're buffalo bill wearing a skin suit of a dead team rather than just accepting that this team isn't the one we grew up watching.

  • @orion said:

    I was also 8.

    Boycott the Bullshit:   I certainly understand the frustration.  But the problem is that none of those players, coaches, FO people, nor the Haslams aren't doing their best to win and be successful.  That's no bullshit.  If a player wasn't trying their best, they'd be replaced.  Most every player/coach in the league has extreme pride in their 'game'...and they want the guy on the other side of the LOS to know why they made it to the NFL.

    You may not like the Haslams.  I know that I don't.  But I don't doubt that they're trying their best to make the team great.  You can fault their decisions, but not their intentions.

    I read an article once where Dee Haslam ran into Joe Thomas's wife in the supermarket.  They got to talking and Dee was trying to explain to Mrs. Thomas how sorry she was that the Browns weren't good.  That they were trying their hardest...and that they came into NFL ownership not realizing how difficult it was.  Dee was explaining, while tears were running down her face, that they want the team to be successful and that they're going to keep learning and keep doing everything that they can to make the team good again.  -  I truly believe that they have their heart and soul into it.  Certainly you can't say that they won't spend any amount of money to get the best players, equipment, etc.

    OK...so that and 25 cents will get you a gumball.  But you don't boycott your child because he/she is struggling in elementary school.  You support the child, help the child, get the child help (tutoring?) if necessary.   All WE can do is support the Browns.  And why would we do that?  Because we love the Browns.  Not like how we love our children of course, but it's a love just the same.  If you're a regular on a Browns message board...then you love the Browns.  

    If everyone boycotted the Browns then they'd pack up and move somewhere else.  There!  That'll fix 'em!   And the NFL won't give you another team because you didn't support the one you had.  If you want to show displeasure, show up to the games wearing paper bags over your head...thousands of paper bags in the stands sends a message to the NFL community.  Remember, booing and wearing bags is STILL a sign of passion in the team.

    When should you boycott the team in mass?  Well, if you have an owner that is just in it for the money and satisfaction of saying that they own an NFL team.  If they're not spending money to get good players.  If they're not really trying to put a good team on the field.  At which point fans could decide, WTF, we're better off without a team.  

    I don't care for Jimmy Haslam.  But I don't root for the owner(s).  I may not like a player or two.  I root for the team.  For the history, the heritage....the Browns.

    MHO

    There is no history or heritage. This team began in 1999 cosplaying as an older respected team that moved away. They've completely trashed the name and legacy that the Cleveland browns once carried. Now it's a joke. By far the worst franchise in the league maybe all of sports. The players have no enthusiasm to play here and why should they? The stadium is widely known as the "factory of sadness"  I'd fold the name and colors. Come out wearing red and black and with a new name that the players can build a legacy that isn't saving the dumpster fire Cleveland browns from circling the drain. You can't do shit with orange and brown and anyways the Bengals are considered the better orange team in the division. We're buffalo bill wearing a skin suit of a dead team rather than just accepting that this team isn't the one we grew up watching.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #49

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    They've completely trashed the name and legacy that the Cleveland browns once carried.

    Ain't that the truth.  

    The current Browns are not the same organization that they were in 1995.  But guess what, they're not the same organization that they were when they came back into existence either.  They're run by Haslam now, not the Lerners.  Neither are the Ravens.  Modell is not the owner.  Ozzie isn't the GM.  No organization stays the same.  They all change over time.  

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    They've completely trashed the name and legacy that the Cleveland browns once carried.

    Ain't that the truth.  

    The current Browns are not the same organization that they were in 1995.  But guess what, they're not the same organization that they were when they came back into existence either.  They're run by Haslam now, not the Lerners.  Neither are the Ravens.  Modell is not the owner.  Ozzie isn't the GM.  No organization stays the same.  They all change over time.  

    Dutch OvenD Dutch Oven wrote on last edited by Dutch Oven
    #50

    @orion said:

    Ain't that the truth.  

    The current Browns are not the same organization that they were in 1995.  But guess what, they're not the same organization that they were when they came back into existence either.  They're run by Haslam now, not the Lerners.  Neither are the Ravens.  Modell is not the owner.  Ozzie isn't the GM.  No organization stays the same.  They all change over time.  

    Hell, the 1995 Browns were already on their way to trashing the legacy that was the Paul Brown/Blanton Collier Browns.

    After Collier retired, the original Browns under Modell were an also-ran. 194-195-3 from 1971-1995. Zero championship appearances after thirteen from 1946-1970.

  • @orion said:

    Ain't that the truth.  

    The current Browns are not the same organization that they were in 1995.  But guess what, they're not the same organization that they were when they came back into existence either.  They're run by Haslam now, not the Lerners.  Neither are the Ravens.  Modell is not the owner.  Ozzie isn't the GM.  No organization stays the same.  They all change over time.  

    Hell, the 1995 Browns were already on their way to trashing the legacy that was the Paul Brown/Blanton Collier Browns.

    After Collier retired, the original Browns under Modell were an also-ran. 194-195-3 from 1971-1995. Zero championship appearances after thirteen from 1946-1970.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #51

    @dutch-oven said:

    from 1971-1995. Zero championship appearances

    Well, zero Superbowls, but a few championship appearances (albeit AFC championships).  The Kosar years were good.  We were respected and respectable back then.  Since '99 we've been the Rodney Dangerfield of the league.....laughable with no respect.  Heck, we've mostly had laughable HC's.

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    They've completely trashed the name and legacy that the Cleveland browns once carried.

    Ain't that the truth.  

    The current Browns are not the same organization that they were in 1995.  But guess what, they're not the same organization that they were when they came back into existence either.  They're run by Haslam now, not the Lerners.  Neither are the Ravens.  Modell is not the owner.  Ozzie isn't the GM.  No organization stays the same.  They all change over time.  

    The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #52

    @orion said:

    Ain't that the truth.  

    The current Browns are not the same organization that they were in 1995.  But guess what, they're not the same organization that they were when they came back into existence either.  They're run by Haslam now, not the Lerners.  Neither are the Ravens.  Modell is not the owner.  Ozzie isn't the GM.  No organization stays the same.  They all change over time.  

    Yes that's the point. Things change. Literally none of these players have ever seen the browns be respectable, ever, (except for a brief interlude when Mayfield, Chubb, Landry et all) were here and that seems more like a fluke now.  

    These guys are not the like the older players. They're not of the same generation. Image matters a lot to them and the image of the browns is garbage. 

  • @orion said:

    Ain't that the truth.  

    The current Browns are not the same organization that they were in 1995.  But guess what, they're not the same organization that they were when they came back into existence either.  They're run by Haslam now, not the Lerners.  Neither are the Ravens.  Modell is not the owner.  Ozzie isn't the GM.  No organization stays the same.  They all change over time.  

    Yes that's the point. Things change. Literally none of these players have ever seen the browns be respectable, ever, (except for a brief interlude when Mayfield, Chubb, Landry et all) were here and that seems more like a fluke now.  

    These guys are not the like the older players. They're not of the same generation. Image matters a lot to them and the image of the browns is garbage. 

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #53

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Image matters a lot to them and the image of the browns is garbage. 

    Yeah.  So much is image now.  So many players have to have their own Schtick.  Even if the DB had absolutely nothing to do with the pass going to his man being incomplete he's gotta go into his gyrations.  I really like Carson Schwessinger.  He's a throwback.  He makes the tackle, gets up and heads towards the huddle.  If a player comes up to him to give him high, low or in between five, he'll do that, but he's not caught up in being a showman.

    As far as the image of the Browns being garbage, I don't buy it.  Not with our defense.  Our defense commands respect.  When a team is preparing to play us, their offensive people understand that they've got work to do.  There's no sleeping against that D.  As opposed to other times, when we had absolutely nothing on either side of the ball, I'm not too worried about us attracting free agents.  We just have to show that we're going to attack our offensive issues...be it a QB that's needed, or if Shedeur winds up looking good then OL & WR.  That's pretty much what's making our offense garbage...OL & WR.  And perhaps the QB.  That, of course, is the major piece.  Having no QB will hurt free agency.  And FA comes before the draft.  Therefore it would be nice if Shedeur can show that the QB problem will no longer be a problem.  That puts us in a better FA position.  But how does he do that with a shit OL & WR room?   [ fingers crossed ]